Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Pattonesque posted:

I mean it's not that hard to see lights from a ways away if you know where to look

that being said a break is probably a good call. I've done it a few times before and it's worth it

Grinding FW for 2 days straight trying to get the lights really took a toll on my psyche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015

Pattonesque posted:

I mean it's not that hard to see lights from a ways away if you know where to look

that being said a break is probably a good call. I've done it a few times before and it's worth it

Patton your vacay from the game is over. Start logging in plz. TYVM!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheParadigm posted:

I'm assuming you're just trying to basic it before you pitch it. Two basic LRM5's are great for getting all the assist XP. If i have a mech that I just want to get done with, i throw a bap and a sensor range module on and steal ALL the scout xp for the match as well.

Based on endo and an xl300(endo), or a std275(endo+ferro) it looks like you can god hand 3-4 larges or LPLs.

GRF-1S

This is what I'm running now

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I think I'll do a couple drops tonight for the Night Gyr war horn. I wonder if it works for TKs.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zyphoid posted:

Patton your vacay from the game is over. Start logging in plz. TYVM!

I was on last night and during the event!

it's a little tough for me to be on for longer periods because of reasons

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

GRF-1S

This is what I'm running now

you could probably drop the engine a bit to fit SRM6As in there

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

TheParadigm posted:

I've heard good things about the 340 as far as a middle ground for twist speed and maneuverability, but I haven't used it and can't speak from experience.

The STD335 is the "sweet spot" engine size. The 340 and 345 each come with a +1.5t weight increase, so it's best to avoid them and build for either a 335 or a 350 for the fourth heatsink.

You may have been thinking about XL engines, where the sweet spot for speed/weight ratio happens to be the XL340.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Skoll posted:

I think I'll do a couple drops tonight for the Night Gyr war horn. I wonder if it works for TKs.

KMDD != tk. But feel free to blow off my leg for good luck if you see me.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pattonesque posted:

you could probably drop the engine a bit to fit SRM6As in there

XL295 seems like the sweet spot, especially with the added ammo needs of the 6s

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TheParadigm posted:

Anyway, few mistakes.

No endo. Its worth 5 tons on an atlas, thats why your engine is so small.
Also your leg armor is maxed, which isn't important. You can do about 51/57 points on the legs and be fine, and also free up many tons.

With those two changes alone, you can jump to a 325 with full engine sinks. I usually recommend a 350 on an atlas, but 2 lb10 is so weighty you practically have to use a 325, and that's about as small as I'd go.

I've heard good things about the 340 as far as a middle ground for twist speed and maneuverability, but I haven't used it and can't speak from experience.

what engine are you using that you have to choose between 4's and 2's on a medium?

I use the 340 and it works. At the range you'd be doing full damage with the AC20 the spread has decreased to the point that you're putting 80% on the part you want. It fires faster is cooler, carries more ammo per ton and once armor is off (and you are under 200m) all of it is basically crit seeking and landing on the same part. Also allows you to slap cheeky fuckers that stay at 400-450 meters that are trying to carve off that torso with the ac-20. Projectile speed is fast which makes for easier hits on anything more mobile than a night gyr as well.

It works for me, I'll admit that if you can nail a center torso everytime the burst on the AC20 is great but loads of people know the cooldown and range and treat you accordingly.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 22, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

XL295 seems like the sweet spot, especially with the added ammo needs of the 6s

FWIW metamechs has this as a build

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=127&l=a1d1e2674657d63490e667bc7a5b4f199d0c9474

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
there is a proven ghost dad build and it has never been bettered

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Nevermind, there must be something in smurfy that isn't the same as in game. Trying to find 2 missing slots.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

veedubfreak posted:

KMDD != tk. But feel free to blow off my leg for good luck if you see me.

The event runs for 5 days, so it should be rather easy to get everything.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Banano posted:

QFT

I think the LB/10s are a trap because they make you think you can skirmish a bit, which is a violation of the Dad Rule

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

veedubfreak posted:

Nevermind, there must be something in smurfy that isn't the same as in game. Trying to find 2 missing slots.

Dump one of the heat sinks into the engine.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

QFT

I think the LB/10s are a trap because they make you think you can skirmish a bit, which is a violation of the Dad Rule

IMO the ghost part is the most important part of ghost dadding. If you want to do peak brawl damage you want the as7-s splat dad

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Great Beer posted:

IMO the ghost part is the most important part of ghost dadding. If you want to do peak brawl damage you want the as7-s splat dad

the AS7-S is a truly special robot

I think the main difference between the two is that with the -S your first shot is probably into the front CT, and with the -D-DC your first shot might be into a rear CT

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just bought this on the sale and threw an engine I had laying around apparently

TDR-9SE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZlOhSt_qW0

I'll give it a shot. It's pretty accurate with the laser duration quirk, so I'm enjoying it so far.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
How do engines get shared amongst chassis, by the way? Everything, or just the same chassis, or the same class?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Just bought this on the sale and threw an engine I had laying around apparently

TDR-9SE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZlOhSt_qW0

Make sure to put at least one jump jet in the TDR for convenience

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

PoptartsNinja posted:

Dump one of the heat sinks into the engine.

It already has 2 locked in ct.

It's this build, which for some reason doesn't have the upper actuator on smurfy but does in game. It's just a bug with smurfy.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=442&l=d4c48b14a45b0d8da5f9c5043bb9bd9a23620391

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I saw the new thread title and wanted to drop in to say god drat is it good

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Where is the cockpit in the Night Gyr. Is it that tiny bubble in the chest? Or is it in the head.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Banano posted:

My Ghost Dad remains unchanged and unmodified since launch, the only challenge it'll have trouble facing is Ghost Heat 2.0.

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015

veedubfreak posted:

Where is the cockpit in the Night Gyr. Is it that tiny bubble in the chest? Or is it in the head.

It's in the head, the thing that looks like a mouth.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
That's what i thought. What is the ball in the chest?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

That's what i thought. What is the ball in the chest?

Laser mount.

For a disco laser.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I was just thinking about how bulky and weighty and hot MPL's are so I looked at the numbers a bit.

here's what i came up with

Turns out that if you can stomach the loss of ~1 dps you can drop heatsinks and still come out ahead on the heat curve by replacing 4MPL with 2 LPL and their greater range.

An MPL hits 6 damage for 4 heat, and an LPL hits 11 for 7. So its juuust shy of being 2 stapled together with greater range.

2 LPL is a 22 point blap vs a 24 point. SRm4's are a personal preferences and weight to fit.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I found the saddest Mauler this evening.

It apparently only had LRMs because I closed to point blank and fired UAC/10s into it forever while it fired a spotting laser back at me.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

DancingShade posted:

I found the saddest Mauler this evening.

It apparently only had LRMs because I closed to point blank and fired UAC/10s into it forever while it fired a spotting laser back at me.

He was probably busy blaming his "loving noob" teammates for abandoning him while he was 400 meters behind them and 1100 meters from the enemy line.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Great Beer posted:

He was probably busy blaming his "loving noob" teammates for abandoning him while he was 400 meters behind them and 1100 meters from the enemy line.

It's funny you say that because while I have no idea what he was screaming at his team he WAS 400 meters behind them.

It didn't stop my Night Gyr jumping on him though.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

TheParadigm posted:

I was just thinking about how bulky and weighty and hot MPL's are so I looked at the numbers a bit.

Turns out that if you can stomach the loss of ~1 dps you can drop heatsinks and still come out ahead on the heat curve by replacing 4MPL with 2 LPL and their greater range.

An MPL hits 6 damage for 4 heat, and an LPL hits 11 for 7. So its juuust shy of being 2 stapled together with greater range.

2 LPL is a 22 point blap vs a 24 point. SRm4's are a personal preferences and weight to fit.

I was going to say mpl duration is better but it's only by 0.07 seconds. I guess barring weight problems there's really no reason to take mpls

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just had them laying around and am spending c-bills on heavy chassis so didn't want to buy lpls I don't have sitting around

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

TheParadigm posted:

To make the LPLs perform in the same ballpark as the MPLs, you've had to sacrifice FIVE tons of other stuff. Five tons of equipment and armour on a 55-tonner. That's a lot.

It can be a legitimate choice if you need more reach, but no, it's not a no-brainer at all.

There's a reason having lots of hardpoints is good, especially energy ones - using many smaller weapons is generally a much more efficient use of tonnage than a few bigger ones, and the weight saved lets you run a bigger engine to get in range faster.

If you take your LPL build and bring it back to the original MPLs + 16 DHS, those five extra tons let you add an extra heatsink to improve the cooling and upgrade your engine to a 320 in the process.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I just had them laying around and am spending c-bills on heavy chassis so didn't want to buy lpls I don't have sitting around

look at this loving space poor

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
So tired of aimbotters. Yeah, I'm sure you could land dual gauss in my head at 1200m while i was moving diagonally at 84kph. Clearly you're just that good.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Rysithusiku posted:

So tired of aimbotters. Yeah, I'm sure you could land dual gauss in my head at 1200m while i was moving diagonally at 84kph. Clearly you're just that good.

ehhhh, it generally helps way more with lasers than it does with weapons with a travel time

sometimes you just get a lucky headshot

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

ehhhh, it generally helps way more with lasers than it does with weapons with a travel time

We've seen the helios PPC video. It's definitely a thing with those sorts of weapons.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Pattonesque posted:

yeah, watched the guy score another 4 cross-map headshots in the same game. doubt it was lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

We've seen the helios PPC video. It's definitely a thing with those sorts of weapons.

I haven't seen that vid in a while but that one had him landing headshots on an enemy far away from him that was either stationary or headed right toward him, correct?

I haven't seen it help as much with leading people, is what I mean

Rysithusiku posted:

yeah, watched the guy score another 4 cross-map headshots in the same game. doubt it was lucky.

yeah, that sounds p. Helios-y

• Locked thread