Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Flea will show his dong and Trump will have to resign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
good morning to the smoldering remains of this thread. Has Boosted checked in to deliver his yuuuuge I told you so?

I'd like to apologize on behalf of the great commonwealth of Pennsylvania. If it's any consolidation Trump got crushed in the Philadelphia suburb that I live in.

Duel
Jan 27, 2005

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
All the leftists' schemes and plans last night came to nothing, and I for one am loving delighted

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Victories:
Rick Nolan beats rich frat douche
Tammy Duckworth

Not much else to be happy about.

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/796289705230864384

CNN made this to make Trump voters feel good about themselves, or something

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

My Linux Rig posted:

Our economy is going to be great again, Trumpy is gonna make sure of it

HOW you loving simpleton.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Very deceptive when they leave of the part where he rips into Trump. Makes him look like a supporter, when he is anything but.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pook Good Mook posted:

Also, liberals need to ditch identity and justice politics in favor of "a rising tide lifts all boats" platform.

I'm not saying social justice issues aren't important, but you quite clearly make it harder to win if that's all you've got.

the human race is irredeemable

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Welp, you can't say it's not going to be a very interesting 4 years ahead!

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

"Hey you coal mining fucks, you're gonna be out of a job"
election night
"why didnt all those workers vote for me?"

That's like 4000 people dude

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Astroclassicist posted:

So, what happens with the two Trump trials to come later this year?

Dead, most likely. He's getting away with it again and going to the top of the world thanks to white outrage.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man I'm still kind of in shock over this. Like it was always a possibility, I suppose, but for every poll, every bit of analysis from Serious Political Analysts to be wrong is incredible.

Mostly I feel bad about trying to comfort people who were worried about the election. It's pretty clear we had no real idea what was actually going on, beyond what we wish was happening.

What this really proves in a lot of ways is that, at the end of the day, people really want to be told what they want to hear and what they already believe. The push of populism from free trade and anti minority sentiments were always there, and have been smoldering since they first came up in the nineties. When push came to shove more people were more motivated to vote for the man that was telling them, "you know what? You're right, about everything. And I will fix it for you" than the woman who said it's complicated and will take time to fix. Taking the people who were feeling that discontent and telling them they just couldn't understand what was right, that they were backwards and wrong and history would judge them eternal turns out to have created quite the monster here.

They are wrong of course, but because the reasons don't boil down to easily digestible talking points like the wall and in fact do have complicated solutions means that we keep losing the messaging battle on it. It's the same reason we lose the mid terms over and over again. Until we can explain that in a easily digested sound bite I don't think we can truly win the messaging war, and in that case we're going to have to rely on extremely charismatic orators that can inspire rather than try to win on policy points.

As much as I respect Hillary, for her service as well as her views, it's clear that everyone in the mainstream drastically underestimated just how bad a candidate she was. It's a drat shame. In an alternate timeline I think someone like Elizabeth Warren or Joe Biden were the best choices. Both are fantastic speakers, neither have the baggage that Hillary has, nor do they have to explain complicated tax plans and economic models like Bernie would've needed.

Turns out the way to fight Trump was likely not to get into details at all, just small, easily digestible chunks of simple policy and sweet comebacks?

Tldr hot take from a lurker. :beck:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't blame Hillary. She ran a much better campaign than I could ever have expected. She did everything right.

I don't blame Bernie or Biden or Warren or whoever. I don't think they'd have won where Hillary lost because of one simple fact: they were all campaigning against Trump too. It wasn't enough but it wasn't their fault.

I don't blame Millennials. They mostly voted for Hillary. I don't blame the poor, white or otherwise. Based on exit polling, they mostly voted for Clinton too. Dismissing poor white folk as universally racist is bad and dumb (but pointing out and shaming actual racism is not) but that's not why Trump won.

We were hosed by the same people who always gently caress us. Rich old Republicans who will vote for anything that promises them a tax cut. Some true believer racists and sexists, sure, but mostly people who are indifferent to such things as long as they get paid. Don't think any differently.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

blue squares posted:

she won the popular vote, idiot

Too bad that doesnt loving matter. The popular vote is meaningless and putting up big numbers in Southern states that go red every single loving time is a waste of effort and resources.

How can a crafty strategist like Hillary gently caress up a giant board game like the electoral college? Why the gently caress would you waste money on Arizona, or the other dumb poo poo never gonna flip states she spent money on? Blue Texas loving lol. How does a lifelong pragmatic politician not put it together that those states don't matter and instead double down on her must wins? Monumental loving hubris is how.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Pook Good Mook posted:

HOW you loving simpleton.

Just watch

The meme magic is real and it'll turn you into a believer

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

CNN should be shot.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
I wonder if he will actually kill TPP

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Zippy the Bummer posted:

All the leftists' schemes and plans last night came to nothing, and I for one am loving delighted

Ah yes, the schemes of a fair chance and equality for all. Those dastardly fellows!

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Also do you guys know that leftists weren't exactly rooting for Hillary. We were hoping for the American public to get punched and not beheaded.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

blue squares posted:

she won the popular vote, idiot

turns out only california cares about those hollywood endorsements

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
More kentucky thoughts, we have a few states to look at as examples for what's about to happen here. Wisconsin and Florida aren't mega hosed because they had cool and good industries. Kansas was mega hosed because they really didn't. My rating for kentucky is going to be ultra hosed because ford is one of Louisville's biggest employers and trump will actively work against them.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Casimir Radon posted:

Victories:
Rick Nolan beats rich frat douche
Tammy Duckworth

Not much else to be happy about.

colorado got right to die, which is timely

Duel
Jan 27, 2005

docbeard posted:

I don't blame Hillary. She ran a much better campaign than I could ever have expected. She did everything right.

I don't blame Bernie or Biden or Warren or whoever. I don't think they'd have won where Hillary lost because of one simple fact: they were all campaigning against Trump too. It wasn't enough but it wasn't their fault.

I don't blame Millennials. They mostly voted for Hillary. I don't blame the poor, white or otherwise. Based on exit polling, they mostly voted for Clinton too. Dismissing poor white folk as universally racist is bad and dumb (but pointing out and shaming actual racism is not) but that's not why Trump won.

We were hosed by the same people who always gently caress us. Rich old Republicans who will vote for anything that promises them a tax cut. Some true believer racists and sexists, sure, but mostly people who are indifferent to such things as long as they get paid. Don't think any differently.

I thought the loss this time was because less democrats voted? Trump had less votes than Romney, and yet he still won.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Frosted Flake posted:

Can someone briefly explain how Hillary was anointed in the first place? How did Kaine, DWS and Donna get put in place?

By Obama and his people. Like it is the usual way when someone wins the Presidency. Like Trump will put all his own people into the RNC.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/JebBush/status/796340702464581632

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Man I'm still kind of in shock over this. Like it was always a possibility, I suppose, but for every poll, every bit of analysis from Serious Political Analysts to be wrong is incredible.

Omg, we were right in saying you shouldn't listen to the lying media??? :monocle:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

docbeard posted:

lmao

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

lmao at all the bootlicking

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://twitter.com/JebBush/status/796340702464581632

drat, beaten by a hair

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/796263241890439169

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

docbeard posted:

Lol Bernie would have smashed Trump, turnout was awful and Bernie would have gotten out the vote. You're crazy if you think Bernie wasn't the stronger candidate due to his popularity and integrity.

DNC tried a coronation and it blew up in their face. Good.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

Also, liberals need to ditch identity and justice politics in favor of "a rising tide lifts all boats" platform.

I'm not saying social justice issues aren't important, but you quite clearly make it harder to win if that's all you've got.

Ditch social justice and identity politics altogether, focus on class politics and fold identity issues into class issues. You can't win in America without the white vote, and the only thing the white vote will identify with other than xenophobia is classism.

Of course decades of Republican and Democratic thirdwayism rhetoric has heavily compromised America's ability to identify class anymore, so even that's fraught with issues.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can't believe he insulted his way to the presidency. It was a crazy strategy, and the craziest thing about it is that it worked!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Decius posted:

Very deceptive when they leave of the part where he rips into Trump. Makes him look like a supporter, when he is anything but.

Its extra funny, because Moore is every left meme about Hillary being assaulted by fraudulent scandals, but objectively true in every way without room for argument

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JEB! No!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

Miserable bootlicking by Fox News Sister Station. Please tell me how good you feel about the incompetent white supremacist who immediately cratered the economy.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pakled posted:

I will maintain to my dying day that Hillary is cool and good and Trump is bad.

He gazed up at the enormous face. Four years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath that orange cheese melt face. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Trump.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Not a Step posted:

Ditch social justice and identity politics altogether, focus on class politics and fold identity issues into class issues. You can't win in America without the white vote, and the only thing the white vote will identify with other than xenophobia is classism.

Of course decades of Republican and Democratic thirdwayism rhetoric has heavily compromised America's ability to identify class anymore, so even that's fraught with issues.

identity politics is a tool of the rich to separate and divide the left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/796322592302989313

Sure am glad they spent so much time reaching out to Neocons and Republican moderates lmao

• Locked thread