Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Haifisch posted:

Aren't mattresses one of those things where most places sell the same models, but under different names so it's hard to comparison shop?

Scum all the way down.

The Zinus ones on Amazon Prime are a godsend and I'm rooting for them to be the cleansing flames for brick and mortar mattress stores. There's like a Sleepy's five minutes in every direction in Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

olylifter posted:

we just bought a $3,000 mattress. I can afford half and it shuts her up for a while. Our 400 dollar memory foam futon is 10x more comfortable but she wanted some swanky one. You can't put a price on not arguing or having to hear about some loving mattress purchase.

so like laugh away cause i see the absurdity.

:same:

And mattresses cost like $100 to make so buy the floor model or the closest-looking one from whatever shady site pops up on google for that brand.

You want to go nuts? There are $10,000+ mattress makers, complete with boutique shops in Manhattan.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

poisonpill posted:

And mattresses cost like $100 to make so buy the floor model or the closest-looking one from whatever shady site pops up on google for that brand.

You want to go nuts? There are $10,000+ mattress makers, complete with boutique shops in Manhattan.

Check out Hastens mattresses. Known for their horsehair stuffing. Can run up to 100,000 very easily.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 13, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I have one of those mattresses that rhyme with pleat slumber. It goes up and down like a Craftmatic Adjustable.

In other news I am old.

Just get a Casper, people. Maybe an egg crate topper.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

George H.W. oval office posted:

Check out Hastens mattresses. Known for their horsehair stuffing. Can run up to 100,000 very easily.

Yeah gotta get that horsehair mattress topper.

https://youtu.be/ooWd_9OAAUg

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

poisonpill posted:

My brother is an independent artist who sells his own intellectual property online and at nerd conventions. He makes a killing doing it. Eventually he got sick of having to drive to all of these cons with his merch, so he hired on a friend of his who used to be in luxury goods sales. She sold ridiculously expensive bed sheets and other poo poo of that nature and she was pretty drat good at doing it. Apparently the market will always be fat with buyers. Or at least, buyers who are fat with cash.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I did a ton of research here: https://www.themattressunderground.com/ before buying a mattress.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

It's BWM if you have to buy expensive things to shut your partner up

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My upstairs neighbor is very proud of his bed that can adjust up so it’s basically a recliner. It also vibrates. Gotta day that must be pretty nice.

I’m of the opinion that the response to your SO wanting to buy a $3,000 mattress should be “we’re not financing a loving mattress.”

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My upstairs neighbor is very proud of his bed that can adjust up so it’s basically a recliner. It also vibrates. Gotta day that must be pretty nice.

I’m of the opinion that the response to your SO wanting to buy a $3,000 mattress should be “we’re not financing a loving mattress.”

That reminds me of all the old TV gags that signaled you were in a bad hotel based on the quarter driven vibrating bed.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I think the Mattress Wars article was linked last time this came up, it was an absolutely fascinating read: https://www.fastcompany.com/3065928/sleepopolis-casper-bloggers-lawsuits-underside-of-the-mattress-wars

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

moana posted:

I think the Mattress Wars article was linked last time this came up, it was an absolutely fascinating read: https://www.fastcompany.com/3065928/sleepopolis-casper-bloggers-lawsuits-underside-of-the-mattress-wars

Whoa, pro click there.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
A Costco king size mattress is enough for any honest man.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

moana posted:

Ugh. We need a new mattress and I was thinking of going online. Now I don't know who is left worth buying from. Capitalism sucks sometimes.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

moana posted:

Was going to post this, an excellent read. I had no idea there was so much tied to these online reviews.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

werdnam posted:

Ugh. We need a new mattress and I was thinking of going online. Now I don't know who is left worth buying from. Capitalism sucks sometimes.

Yeah I don't know why the invisible hand of the market chose mattresses of all things to slather in a heaping level of marketing bullshit to the point that comparison shopping in virtually impossible. It really seems like which series of rectangular layers of cloth and foam will work for sleeping would have really been a problem humanity had solved by now.

"Here are a dozen mattresses that look and feel almost identical aside from the buzzwords we put on the sign and the number of zeros on the price. And of course I assume you'll be wanting the nanotech memory foam sleep topper with a multizone mattress core AT A MINIMUM if you want proper back support. I can show you one without it but you might as well be sleeping on a granite slab like a caveman."

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Huge profit margins and a customer base that averages 10y+ between purchases is a recipe for lovely marketing practices.

How huge are the margins? Big enough that upstarts can come in to "disrupt" the brick-and-mortar market - easily - and still reap massive profits.

Once the foam memory manufacturing process got to the point where cheap delivery was economical the gloves came off.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Sorry if I missed this earlier but is there a mattress thread? Would love to hear goonpinions but don't want to derail the BWM thread.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The law tends to err on the side of favoring tenants over landlords since one way someone is out some money, the other way someone (and their family) is homeless.

IIRC, the USA specifically has a lot of laws to favour tenants specifically because of the Great Depression leading to shanty towns and everything.

Most landlords nowadays get around that by dispensing with tenants whenever possible. Can't lose value on a condo with no tenants!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

werdnam posted:

If you're ok with doing a bit of research you can buy the sheets of foam and make your trendy new foam mattress. You can glue the parts together once your comfort is dialed in, if you want. Search around for other folk's "recipes" and opinions about top layer preferences.

Basic guide: https://www.foambymail.com/blog/diy-casper-foam-mattress/

Dillbag posted:

Sorry if I missed this earlier but is there a mattress thread? Would love to hear goonpinions but don't want to derail the BWM thread.

It's in A/T

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813333&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

The Juicero guy is now into raw water

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oI-Ye8SP708

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC, the USA specifically has a lot of laws to favour tenants specifically because of the Great Depression leading to shanty towns and everything.

Most landlords nowadays get around that by dispensing with tenants whenever possible. Can't lose value on a condo with no tenants!

It varies a LOT state by state, and evictions are surprisingly common, especially for a subset of people who are having a hard time meeting ends meet. There was a recent NYT article about it. A lot of people who get evicted, get evicted multiple times per year, and are often on the verge of homelessness. These are some BWM stories, but they're far too sad to be funny:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/04/07/upshot/millions-of-eviction-records-a-sweeping-new-look-at-housing-in-america.html

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ma i married a tuna posted:

It varies a LOT state by state, and evictions are surprisingly common, especially for a subset of people who are having a hard time meeting ends meet. There was a recent NYT article about it. A lot of people who get evicted, get evicted multiple times per year, and are often on the verge of homelessness. These are some BWM stories, but they're far too sad to be funny:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/04/07/upshot/millions-of-eviction-records-a-sweeping-new-look-at-housing-in-america.html
How do these people convince the next landlord to rent to them then?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

MisterOblivious posted:

If you're ok with doing a bit of research you can buy the sheets of foam and make your trendy new foam mattress. You can glue the parts together once your comfort is dialed in, if you want. Search around for other folk's "recipes" and opinions about top layer preferences.

Basic guide: https://www.foambymail.com/blog/diy-casper-foam-mattress/

It's in A/T

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813333&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Jesus :psyduck: I need a new mattress and I didn't realize the market was so hosed up

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
We got an Avocado Green mattress based on the consumer reports review, and it's turned out to be pretty drat comfortable. Who wants to destroy my happiness and tell me consumer reports is also in the pocket of big mattress?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

John Smith posted:

A lot of amateur landlords don't really screen tenants, there is a subset of shady landlords who specifically deal with marginal tenants with this kind of problem history for example in trailer parks or motels, and sometimes it is possible to duck from state-to-state and stay under the radar of a tenant screen in some cases. There is also the age-old tactic of renting under one name and then moving in family members or significant others with problem histories after the lease is signed and keys are headed over. You are right though, if you are dealing in a place like New York City where there are robust tenant blacklists, then it is hard to do.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

John Smith posted:

I was duped by being naive and trusting of my fellow human.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

moana posted:

Yeah this was a great read and surprise surprise as it turns out the end game of any review site or whatever where the reviewer directly makes their income off of affiliate marketing is becoming a wholly-owned loving subsidiary paid shill. Or alternately as proven with that Student Loan website the supposed person behind the site was a completely fictitious corporate manufactured persona in the first place. Consumers simply cannot win when are buckets full of money big enough to drown any truth in the market.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I buy my mattresses from a guy that gets the ones that the factory rejects or the delivery drivers drop in the dirt or warehouse guys screw up.. He has a warehouse in an industrial park and you just drive there and pick out the one you want.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
There's no such thing as ethical consumption under sleeperism. I just said gently caress it and bought a Casper.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

We put off buying a new bed when we really should have for about 5 years, so when it finally came time to buy and we waded into the affiliate marketing/research hellscape that is mattress-ville we ended up plunking down $3,000. It was a combination of restitution to ourselves for not replacing sooner, hatred for the market (so we wanted something that we wouldn't have to replace for over a decade), and uncertainty. Also they threw in some nice frames and side-tables, bedding, and had someone deliver it, assemble it, disassemble the old bed, and move the old one to a family members house for us (to serve as a guest bed).

It's a good bed, but neither of us felt great about the decision.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

A lot of amateur landlords don't really screen tenants, there is a subset of shady landlords who specifically deal with marginal tenants with this kind of problem history for example in trailer parks or motels, and sometimes it is possible to duck from state-to-state and stay under the radar of a tenant screen in some cases. There is also the age-old tactic of renting under one name and then moving in family members or significant others with problem histories after the lease is signed and keys are headed over. You are right though, if you are dealing in a place like New York City where there are robust tenant blacklists, then it is hard to do.
How do these sub-prime landlords administer these tenants though? Isn't the entire logic behind refusing Section 8 vouchers because problematic tenants eat up your profits?

I don't get the business model here. I am not judging their ethics, I am genuinely unclear on the business model where you willingly accept / welcome problematic tenants.

FateFree posted:

I was duped by being naive and trusting of my fellow human.
Sucks, man. It happens.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

John Smith posted:

I don't get the business model here. I am not judging their ethics, I am genuinely unclear on the business model where you willingly accept / welcome problematic tenants.
Sucks, man. It happens.

Probably the same way that subprime lenders make money. Obscenely high rates, huge deposits, and an added bonus of putting as little money into the place as possible without running afoul of the local landlord-tenant law.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you only rent to one person and you get unlucky with a problem tenant, you’re hosed. But if you rent to a hundred, you just accept that one or two of them will be a problem and split the cost of that across the other 98 tenants.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

without running afoul of the local landlord-tenant law.

lol

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The scuzzy landlord business model relies on charging too much and letting a few missed payments slide "as a favor" as long the tenant is willing to ignore things like the place being legally uninhabitable

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
In that book "$2.00 a Day" the author talks about how some of the buildings are so lovely that they would be a tear-down if the landlord didn't rent them cheap to desperate people, but if the landlord does basically any maintenance at all there is no profit in it. So they keep their costs down by not fixing anything and booting anyone who complains.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
When I did community mental health one of my families was perpetually behind on rent for a trailer where literally all of the plumbing but the toilet just ended in open pipes under the the floor

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

El Mero Mero posted:

We put off buying a new bed when we really should have for about 5 years, so when it finally came time to buy and we waded into the affiliate marketing/research hellscape that is mattress-ville we ended up plunking down $3,000. It was a combination of restitution to ourselves for not replacing sooner, hatred for the market (so we wanted something that we wouldn't have to replace for over a decade), and uncertainty. Also they threw in some nice frames and side-tables, bedding, and had someone deliver it, assemble it, disassemble the old bed, and move the old one to a family members house for us (to serve as a guest bed).

It's a good bed, but neither of us felt great about the decision.

Is going to a store that isn't 100% dedicated to mattresses and seeing which one you like impossible now?

John Smith posted:

How do these sub-prime landlords administer these tenants though? Isn't the entire logic behind refusing Section 8 vouchers because problematic tenants eat up your profits?

Sucks, man. It happens.

Charge a bit of a premium, and they have an attorney that can get them out within a month or two if need be. With Section 8, you have to fill out like 30 forms and be willing to be inspected by HUD. Then when the tenant trashes the place, HUD responds with tough poo poo.

Harry fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

CheesyDog posted:

When I did community mental health one of my families was perpetually behind on rent for a trailer where literally all of the plumbing but the toilet just ended in open pipes under the the floor

How was their life in Sudden Valley.