Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
lol if you go places with more than a pre-ride glance at the map and a vague sense of "it's to the southeast" for directions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's nice imagining what it's like being able to ride in one direction and get lost before you hit the sea.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

California is 60% larger than New Zealand and requires two Butler motorcycle maps to cover all the great rides :3:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Slavvy posted:

It's nice imagining what it's like being able to ride in one direction and get lost before you hit the sea.

I live in Texas. Being large isn't all that great.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

-Inu- posted:

I'm really curious about this. Could you go into further detail?

The investment group that owns Bass Pro Shops and GNC bought out CycleGear. It's no longer employee owned.
People (like my former manager) who had years of employee stock got hosed- I don't know all the details, but the price of stocks essentially tanked and the investors bought them out for pennies on the dollar.
They're slowly "refreshing" all the stores with completely new layouts. We were hoping that with the new ownership, we would see less Bilt, Sedici, Street & Steel, etc, but that's not really the case.
Sedici offroad gear was just released, along with a shitload of new Joe Rocket, Harley Davidson Street & Steel gear.
There was a "loyalty program" that they tested in various stores that's currently suspended and "under review."
Shortly after the takeover, managers were told that items with less than 50% margin would no longer be ordered for the stores. The exception being chemicals, tires, Dainese, Shoei, and Arai.

On another note: CG Black Friday deals are complete poo poo. It's the same sales that they always have but with a veneer of "BLACK FRIDAY!!!!" Unless you want a Bell Rogue for $120, don't bother going.
The management meeting in Anaheim is in December. I'm sure my new manager will come back all excited about the AMAZING NEW GEAR!!!! That we'll never see in our store that actually turns out to be poo poo.

We get so many people asking for Cortech, FirstGear, Joe Rocket, Icon and other brands that "I can certainly order!" But those brands compete with the "Exclusive Brands" that make more margin, so we're poo poo out of luck in that department.

alr
May 14, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

lol if you go places with more than a pre-ride glance at the map and a vague sense of "it's to the southeast" for directions

Mate if I disappear in one direction with a vague sense of "it's thataway" there's a very real chance I'll wind up in Tittybong, Bunyip, or Nar Nar Goon

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
That sucks I used to like going to the physical CG store even if it was a little more expensive. I also bought all my starter gear there first.

I guess it's revzilla all the time for me now

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
There is an online price match for most online retailers. Just not Ebay, Amazon, or some random European site. It depends on the store/manager/district manager, but we've pretty much got carte blanche to price match anything short of tires and shoei.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

I once quit a job just to spend around a month going from the northwest down to Florida and through the south and Midwest on a road trip. Of course this was 20 years ago before GPS and smartphones were a thing and you had to actually think for yourself to navigate.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Partial Octopus posted:

Well I was using the x-grip which is symmetrical. I can try scooting it down towards the bottom but I'm too worried that it will slip out.
Ah, I was thinking the phone specific mounts, which I assume don't exist for the s6? The PO of my bike actually made a generic aluminum block that he bolted to the wind-screen, to then attach any generic case into as if they were a mount. It's worked fairly well, I recently just re-drilled the block to match the RAM mount bolt spacing, so now I can bolt any RAM mount attachment to it.
When I first got the bike he just had a hard plastic iPhone case that latched the phone in and that worked fairly well.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Pope Mobile posted:

There is an online price match for most online retailers. Just not Ebay, Amazon, or some random European site. It depends on the store/manager/district manager, but we've pretty much got carte blanche to price match anything short of tires and shoei.

That's nice, but last time I waddled into a CG they were selling shoei helmets (rf1100) for almost $600 while literally everyone else had them at $280ish

alr posted:

Mate if I disappear in one direction with a vague sense of "it's thataway" there's a very real chance I'll wind up in Tittybong, Bunyip, or Nar Nar Goon

Oh, you must be one of our resident thaigoons. Expat or native? Scooter or motorcycle?

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 25, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

California is 60% larger than New Zealand and requires two Butler motorcycle maps to cover all the great rides :3:

California is like the one american state that looks and functions the way all of them are supposed to, from what I can tell.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

California is like the one american state that looks and functions the way all of them are supposed to, from what I can tell.

The tech boom is flooding California with non-Californians so it actually kind of sucks now, at least in the Bay.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

The tech boom is flooding California with non-Californians so it actually kind of sucks now, at least in the Bay.

This. Bay area needs a major earthquake like a motherfucker.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Slavvy posted:

An absolute shitton of people concentrated in a tiny, highly expensive, area with the larger part of the state being a dry wasteland? I give them props for nearly legalizing :420: but gently caress actually having to live there.

e: also traffic, California laws (better and worse), state taxes, city taxes (depending), traffic, and getting your bike stolen when you park it on the side of the 101 for a few days.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 25, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

An absolute shitton of people concentrated in a tiny, highly expensive, area with the larger part of the state being a dry wasteland? I give them props for nearly legalizing :420: but gently caress actually having to live there.

e: also traffic, California laws (better and worse), state taxes, city taxes (depending), traffic, and getting your bike stolen when you park it on the side of the 101 for a few days.

Legal lanesplitting, bitch.

And California is only highly populated for America, compared to the rest of the world we are barren. Property prices are BS rhough.

cursedshitbox posted:

This. Bay area needs a major earthquake like a motherfucker.

:fap:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Eh, not really. It just has lane splitting. Car ownership here is a bureaucratic pain, everyone wants to live in the cities where the rent is absurd, the state is running out of water, citizens can tie up the government by creating laws entirely on their own, and everything in the state is known to cause cancer and reproductive harm.

But it does have lane splitting.

There are tons of great states to ride in, though. Anywhere west of Denver or southeast of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers will have awesome roads and amazing scenery.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Pope Mobile posted:

The investment group that owns Bass Pro Shops and GNC bought out CycleGear. It's no longer employee owned.
People (like my former manager) who had years of employee stock got hosed- I don't know all the details, but the price of stocks essentially tanked and the investors bought them out for pennies on the dollar.
They're slowly "refreshing" all the stores with completely new layouts. We were hoping that with the new ownership, we would see less Bilt, Sedici, Street & Steel, etc, but that's not really the case.
Sedici offroad gear was just released, along with a shitload of new Joe Rocket, Harley Davidson Street & Steel gear.
There was a "loyalty program" that they tested in various stores that's currently suspended and "under review."
Shortly after the takeover, managers were told that items with less than 50% margin would no longer be ordered for the stores. The exception being chemicals, tires, Dainese, Shoei, and Arai.

On another note: CG Black Friday deals are complete poo poo. It's the same sales that they always have but with a veneer of "BLACK FRIDAY!!!!" Unless you want a Bell Rogue for $120, don't bother going.
The management meeting in Anaheim is in December. I'm sure my new manager will come back all excited about the AMAZING NEW GEAR!!!! That we'll never see in our store that actually turns out to be poo poo.

We get so many people asking for Cortech, FirstGear, Joe Rocket, Icon and other brands that "I can certainly order!" But those brands compete with the "Exclusive Brands" that make more margin, so we're poo poo out of luck in that department.
Interesting. Thanks for the response.

I had completely forgotten how much they played up the fact that CG was "employee owned" and how you got a few dollars worth of stock for working there for a year. The company has basically turned into the Walmart of the motorcycle world. Find the cheapest poo poo imaginable with the highest profit margin, and pawn it off on people who don't know any better. Of course, the main difference being that a laundry basket from Walmart isn't designed to prevent life-threatening injuries.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 14, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Chichevache posted:

At least now you fuckers know how the northwest felt when all the Californians started flooding up here and driving up all the housing and cost of living and bringing your inane laws up here.

You can keep your parched deserts and bankrupt government, we'll be too busy enjoying our legal marijuana to care when you fall in the ocean :smugdog:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

-Inu- posted:

Interesting. Thanks for the response.

I had completely forgotten how much they played up the fact that CG was "employee owned" and how you got a few dollars worth of stock for working there for a year. The company has basically turned into the Walmart of the motorcycle world. Find the cheapest poo poo imaginable with the highest profit margin, and pawn it off on people who don't know any better. Of course, the main difference being that a laundry basket from Walmart isn't designed to prevent life-threatening injuries.

edit: I must say that it is loving amazing to work for a company whose customers understand the value of $1000 jackets, $250 gloves, and $300 boots. Also not having to deal with 10 customers a week who think CG is a bicycle store and gently caress up the stupid customer tracker on the door.

My mind is numb to the number of people who think $50 is "too much" for a helmet & amazed and/or angered when a $40 boot isn't actually waterproof.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Partial Octopus posted:

What is a good phone mount that isn't the ram mount? I have a galaxy s6 and i can't get the ram mount to hold my phone without it pressing on a button.

I picked this up and it holds my phone (5c) really well, tried it out with my friends giant iphone 6+ and whilst being a bit tight it held it strong, not had a problem with it pushing the buttons yet.

http://osomount.com/shop/cyclomount-bike-mount-holder-iphone-5-5s-smartphones/

plus its so cheap that if it sucks its not a major loss.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HotCanadianChick posted:

At least now you fuckers know how the northwest felt when all the Californians started flooding up here and driving up all the housing and cost of living and bringing your inane laws up here.

You can keep your parched deserts and bankrupt government, we'll be too busy enjoying our legal marijuana to care when you fall in the ocean :smugdog:

We started moving up there because you and other fuckers moved here, you fucks.

And when it finally falls into the ocean I plan on being the sumbitch who floats to safety across Arizona Bay on a raft of bloated corpses.:hfive:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Marxalot posted:

Oh, you must be one of our resident thaigoons. Expat or native? Scooter or motorcycle?

Those are Aussie place names, ya flamin' galah.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Considering how recently you guys were still members of the Empire, it is pretty funny how quickly you forgot how to speak English.

alr
May 14, 2009

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Yup! Country Victoria to be precise.

Chichevache posted:

Considering how recently you guys were still members of the Empire, it is pretty funny how quickly you forgot how to speak English.

Alcohol, unsurprisingly. I don't know what New Zealand's excuse is

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Maori integration I'd imagine.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I rode Seattle to Texas and back using only shorthand turn by turn on motel stationary.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

alr posted:

:monocle: this is the coolest thing I've read all week.

Now someone explain why the British can't speak English. Did we take all of their "R"s during the revolution?

I ordered my Warm n Safe gloves yesterday morning and the estimated arrival time is Friday. Pretty good time they've made for free shipping.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 25, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

I rode Seattle to Texas and back using only shorthand turn by turn on motel stationary.

I once drove from Eugene to Seattle to pick up fellow goon Skier, then we headed east through Idaho to Montana to visit a mutual friend with no wrong turns or getting lost using nothing but a couple scribbled notes on a sheet of paper. Getting back through Snowqualmie pass mid-winter without chains or snow tires was a task though.

One of these days once she starts riding, me and the wife want to ride up to Alaska, that should be a fun trip.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
We're doing Anchorage this summer, my sister lives there so we're going to make visiting her our destination. It can't be a super long trip, so it's going to be a mostly-Canada ride up, a few days in/around Anchorage, and then ferry on the way back. Trying to unload the DT175 in trade for a Blast or something similarly stupid for that trip.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

alr posted:

North Island Nuw Zild English is perfectly normal and understandable and not at all infuriating and inbred like aussie English.

South Island is just a bunch of lock-jawed mumbling that gets worse the further south you go.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

North Island Nuw Zild English is perfectly normal and understandable and not at all infuriating and inbred like aussie English.

South Island is just a bunch of lock-jawed mumbling that gets worse the further south you go.

So which island pronounces it "fush and chups"?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The lesser, lower, bottom-most one that has all the cool scenery.

Really everybody does (including the fuckwit PM) when you compare it to the exaggerated Australian FEESH AND CHEEPS MAYTE but really the pronunciation is very similar to queen's english.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Also which island came up with the idea of calling chickens "chooks" first?

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

HotCanadianChick posted:

I once drove from Eugene to Seattle to pick up fellow goon Skier, then we headed east through Idaho to Montana to visit a mutual friend with no wrong turns or getting lost using nothing but a couple scribbled notes on a sheet of paper. Getting back through Snowqualmie pass mid-winter without chains or snow tires was a task though.

One of these days once she starts riding, me and the wife want to ride up to Alaska, that should be a fun trip.

3 things: do you live in Eugene? We should ride together. Also, my buddy is working in a hotel in fairbanks. If you want a good rate pm me for details (not a coupon code, it's a friends/family thing or I'd just drop a code). I know it's off in the future, the offer will stand. Lastly: gently caress Alaska, it's loving cold.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KARMA! posted:

Also which island came up with the idea of calling chickens "chooks" first?

I always thought that was a british thing :shrug:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Verge posted:

3 things: do you live in Eugene? We should ride together. Also, my buddy is working in a hotel in fairbanks. If you want a good rate pm me for details (not a coupon code, it's a friends/family thing or I'd just drop a code). I know it's off in the future, the offer will stand. Lastly: gently caress Alaska, it's loving cold.

No, I GTFO of Eugene over a decade ago; no jobs and not enough things to do or good restaurants. Portland is where it's at. We're headed down there to visit my parents today though.

And we like the cold. :)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Anyone got any opinions on the Shoei GT-Air?

I'm in the market for a new helmet and I find that Shoeis and HJCs fit me the best. I was interested in the RF-1200, but I tried the GT-Air in the store and I like it a lot. The internal sunshade is a cool feature I hadn't considered before, but really enjoyed, and it seems pretty much equivalent to the RF-1200 in every other way that isn't important to racing (I am not a racer).

The GT-Air only has DOT certification, but I'm not worried about it being unsafe since it's a Shoei, and it seems like the protective merit of Snell is starting to get questioned anyway./

Anyone have one and got some thoughts?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
GT-Air is fine if you really want the sun visor. As you mentioned, the main difference between that is going to be the SNELL rating. Modulars and helmets with internal sun visors won't pass SNELL. That's why Arai doesn't make any modulars or helmets with internal sun visors (they have an external shade system instead).

The sun visor mechanism on the GT-Air is much smoother than cheaper helmets and is less susceptible to vibrations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

-Inu- posted:

GT-Air is fine if you really want the sun visor. As you mentioned, the main difference between that is going to be the SNELL rating. Modulars and helmets with internal sun visors won't pass SNELL. That's why Arai doesn't make any modulars or helmets with internal sun visors (they have an external shade system instead).

The sun visor mechanism on the GT-Air is much smoother than cheaper helmets and is less susceptible to vibrations.

I absolutely love my GT-Air, quietest and most comfortable lid I've ever worn. The only drawback is the internal visor is pretty vulnerable to fogging when you're not moving. It's a little annoying because the gigantic pinlock means that the main visor is absolutely fogproof but the chin vents only blow on the inside of the visor, rather than towards your mouth or face which would help clear the internal visor.

It's only a problem when you're stopped, it stays nice and clear on the move, but for a helmet that expensive and well-thought-out it's an annoying oversight.