Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Passed by this the other day. N driver - only money for gas, not obvious poo poo like keeping your wheel on the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good lord that is a loving tragedy; I wish non-rusty examples of that car even existed here.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I used to own a '92 Dodge Dakota that took straight Lucas transmission seal instead of power steering fluid. It was the only way to stop the rack and pinion from leaking. I could have replaced it, sure, but the rack and pinion would have cost more than the truck was worth.

God bless you, heavily abused beater truck.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Slavvy posted:

Good lord that is a loving tragedy; I wish non-rusty examples of that car even existed here.

Agreed, I have a soft spot for 89-92 Preludes. Especially EFI versions.

That looks like a 91-92.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
My husband had a tow truck arrive at his shop with a Cadillac SRS on it. Customer says she was feeling vibration on the freeway, so she pulled over and called for the tow. There was 1 lugnut holding the right rear wheel on. The lugnut broke and the wheel fell off as they were rolling it off the truck.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Slavvy posted:

They do in Australia, as long as you enjoy the clear coat peel (and faded bonnet/roof/boot lid on the red coloured ones)

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Amykinz posted:

My husband had a tow truck arrive at his shop with a Cadillac SRS on it. Customer says she was feeling vibration on the freeway, so she pulled over and called for the tow. There was 1 lugnut holding the right rear wheel on. The lugnut broke and the wheel fell off as they were rolling it off the truck.

:stonklol:

Was there some sort of cascading failure involved? I can't imagine anything less could cause a chain of lugnuts to fail.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Rorac posted:

Was there some sort of cascading failure involved? I can't imagine anything less could cause a chain of lugnuts to fail.

Going to guess the lug nuts were all put on finger-tight, all but one walked off, and on the final one the lug itself broke as a result of getting pummeled to gently caress from being the only thing restraining a flopping wheel at speed.

Could be wrong, but yeah, nuts (lug or otherwise) generally don't fail.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Pics of the accord balljoint and cv shaft blowout extravaganza.

http://imgur.com/a/WqFEp

The balljoint (honda accord balljoints of this era are under tension rather than compression, which is why it snuck past the inspections a few months ago) was so badly worn that the ball and socket were badly rust pitted, the ball was actually about 3/8" from where it was supposed to be and dry rusty metal on metal contact was all that let it move rather than greased polished metal on nylon bushing. Since the base of the taper stud had been necked down by rust where it met the ball, I am not too surprised this happened eventually.

Good thing it happened at 5mph right as a friend was trying to leave my house, rather than doing 80 on the pike 3 miles later.

Today we threw it back together, ended up doing a wheel bearing, two rotors, and pads as well as the cv joint, since it all had to come out to get at the broken balljoint and pulling it apart is the worst part of a brake job (which it has needed for years) on this chassis. Pretty sure it will need another bearing in the near future, since it separated when we pulled the bearing out to replace the rotor (seriously gently caress the cd/cg chassis rotor/bearing design) and we had to clean the races and bearings and seals off by hand and repack it, as the parts stores were out of stock on this part. Oh well, it will make it home and around town now and he can get another bearing next weekend.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Rorac posted:

Insufficient torque upon installation:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 7, 2014

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Rorac posted:

Root Bear posted:

Insufficient torque upon installation:

^correct^

Or as my husband offered in explanation, "America's Tires™".

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
This is more of a horrible electrical failure than mechanical. I just love mopar products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZAJfgqTtWM

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

G-Mach posted:

This is more of a horrible electrical failure than mechanical. I just love mopar products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZAJfgqTtWM

My fathers Caravan started doing something like this on me. I was flying down a country road at dusk with a zillion bugs hitting the windshield and it decided to completely lose all interior lights and start up the windshield wipers. This created a massive bug smear completely obscuring the windshield.

I was giggling at how lovely the situation was as I hung my head out the window and tried to see down the road while bugs hit my face, moving at some unknown speed because I couldn't see the gauges.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

From a friend. Garrett turbo from a Detroit 6.5 on a B230FT, IIRC. An issue with the EWG and a few 40psi+ pulls ended with this. It shot pieces of the compressor wheel through the silicone coupler on the compressor outlet. That's the CHRA bearing that's visible through the compressor inlet :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Did any bite-sized morsels reach the hungry maw of the engine?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I too am curious about this. Did the world's most expensive large object air filter (a.k.a. intercooler) catch all the bits?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

My boss got himself a speedboat on a trailer on Ebay and was towing it back to his house when the wheel decided to break free

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Savington posted:

From a friend. Garrett turbo from a Detroit 6.5 on a B230FT, IIRC. An issue with the EWG and a few 40psi+ pulls ended with this. It shot pieces of the compressor wheel through the silicone coupler on the compressor outlet. That's the CHRA bearing that's visible through the compressor inlet :v:

Even a Detroit Diesel's turbo cannot handle the might of the redblock engine :black101:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

Even a Detroit Diesel's turbo cannot handle the might of the redblock engine :black101:

If you've built a redblock to the point to where it can take multiple 40+psi runs and the first thing to break is the turbo I don't think you can really call it a redblock anymore :stonk:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Beach Bum posted:

If you've built a redblock to the point to where it can take multiple 40+psi runs and the first thing to break is the turbo I don't think you can really call it a redblock anymore :stonk:

I think that "invincible" is a redblock's core quality, actually. they're not building the engine, they're purifying it

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Fatigue Fracture: Honda Edition

The ball/socket were so badly rusted and seized that the balljoint stud was being bent by suspension cycling. Rust pitting right at the spot where the stud met the ball was not helpful.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

freelop posted:

My boss got himself a speedboat on a trailer on Ebay and was towing it back to his house when the wheel decided to break free

That spindle looks fine to me. Remove whats left of the bearings and races and check where the seal rides on the spindle for gouges. He got pretty lucky, there aren't many people around that will put a new spindle on a torsion axle. Of course I would recommend replacing the bearings on the other three wheels.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Slung Blade's Coronet has a wonky ball joint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VT2a764crU

Well, had.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Slung Blade's Coronet has a wonky ball joint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VT2a764crU

Well, had.

That's one floppy :dong:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Savington posted:

That is all I can see from this.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

freelop posted:

He better pray the guy maintained the boat better than he maintained the trailer. Jesus.

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:

rndmnmbr posted:

I used to own a '92 Dodge Dakota that took straight Lucas transmission seal instead of power steering fluid. It was the only way to stop the rack and pinion from leaking. I could have replaced it, sure, but the rack and pinion would have cost more than the truck was worth.

God bless you, heavily abused beater truck.

:hfive: heavily abused Dakota buddy. I'm still daily driving my 89 that was my first vehicle ever. Between my dad and I its lasted through 14 years of hard work and abuse.

Course it's the opposite of this thread. More of a mechanical success its stills runs at all. The Chrysler 3.9 v6 is a tough motor even if it makes poor power and drinks gas. The auto transmission in it is another story though.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I had an 87 in high school and I straight up abused it. That truck never let me down, not even once. Carbureted 3.9V6 that was just plain bullet proof.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I had to emergency move my mother from northeastern Arkansas to Texas one time. She told me she had "just her clothes and a small car", so I hitched up a trailer to the Dakota and made the 15-hour trip. Her "small car" was a '98 Crown Vic, and her "clothes" included all the furniture she packed them into. Coming back across the Ozarks was... interesting - kick in the overdrive and let it come up to 55 going down one mountain, then killing the overdrive and coming up the next one at 40 and straining.

Whole round trip took 48 hours, pretty much all of it driving. Got home, parked the truck, and the next day second gear had surrendered to entropy. Never did replace the transmission - feather the throttle a bit at 3000 rpm and it would hop straight from first to third. Drove it like that for four more years. Would still be driving it, too, but someone stole it while I was at work one night and parted it out.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 9, 2014

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
I drove my dad's '88 Dakota with a "custom cab" conversion for years, the conversion was a horrible mechanical failure that consisted of a fiberglass extension to the cab housing a second stock bench seat and an extra 30" of frame rail welded in. Combine that with the previous owners lowering job and extra wide rear tires and even with the lightest foot it would slide backwards if you started on a steep hill in the rain. It was referred to as the "drift truck" and died of a bad transmission (and a sticky egr that would cause hard starts and black clouds of smoke and a bad starter and a whole list of other maladies). It did seat all 5 kids and the dog though so it had some redeeming features.

It's replacement is a '95 22re Toyota with a regular cab, short bed and no options whatsoever, not even power steering. It is the platonic ideal of the handyman's truck.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I almost forgot about that truck. I believe the other name that is was called often was 'mexitruck' or 'piece of poo poo'.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

:downs: wut that noise?

1992 Toyota Land Cruiser that just got new belts. Welp, looks like the sweet new belts took a toll on an already beat up power steering pump. Glad I stopped and checked under the hood when I did. Instead of breaking the motor I just have to get a new pump. and pulley and hoses and and and :cry:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Saw this making the rounds, and figured I'd share here. Semi drops a bridge beam: http://msnvideo.msn.com/#/video/b600c62f-e8ed-6d06-e589-485281ed90ed

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

QuarkMartial posted:

Saw this making the rounds, and figured I'd share here. Semi drops a bridge beam: http://msnvideo.msn.com/#/video/b600c62f-e8ed-6d06-e589-485281ed90ed

Wouldn't have happened if the rear of the truck was loving in line with the front, it looks like.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

QuarkMartial posted:

:catstare:
< --- passing side Suicide --- >

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

Wouldn't have happened if the rear of the truck was loving in line with the front, it looks like.

Yeah, looks like the torque of that turn caused the rear dolly to go off-line a bit and essentially drive itself into the side of the road.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Boat posted:

Yeah, looks like the torque of that turn caused the rear dolly to go off-line a bit and essentially drive itself into the side of the road.

There's SOMETHING it hits there, I can't tell what it is?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
The loving bridge. thats what.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
It looks like construction crews put up temporary jersey barriers across the bridge and the wheels hit the shock absorber in front of them (you can see the track for it after being compressed it at ~0:26), flipping the beam over.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

QuarkMartial posted:

I'm surprised they didn't use an independently steerable rear dolly for that. You already need the follow cars because it's so large so one extra person to steer the thing around corners where it's needed isn't really a big deal.