Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Apple telling you to spend 300 dollars on a magic keyboard and be thankful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
am i doing it wrong or is the pencil as text entry input method extremely terrible. any time i try it one of the following things happens:

- the keyboard comes up and the side of my hand starts pressing keys
- i make a mistake and try and do the scribble thing to cross it out but it either:
-- selects text
-- inserts a big space for entering more text between what i wrote
-- adds some punctuation it thinks i drew

that is followed by me trying to figure out how to get into normal keyboard mode because i dont have 15 minutes to fight the stupid thing

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

I got back to my iPad excited to try it, but my Pro 2022 isn’t supported. Huh.

Ugh. Okay I didn’t know that and it’s incredibly stupid. I can’t imagine using the onscreen keyboard without it being split.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Flowing Thot posted:

Apple telling you to spend 300 dollars on a magic keyboard and be thankful.

:lol::lol: gently caress that, it can pair with the magic keyboard and trackpad from my Mac Mini, and be damned thankful for the privilege.

I even get the function keys too. :smug:

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Ugh. Okay I didn’t know that and it’s incredibly stupid. I can’t imagine using the onscreen keyboard without it being split.

It works on the pro. You have to use like a pinch gesture to pull the keyboard apart.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Split keyboard isn't on 12.9" Pros for some reason lmao

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

dc3k posted:

am i doing it wrong or is the pencil as text entry input method extremely terrible. any time i try it one of the following things happens:

- the keyboard comes up and the side of my hand starts pressing keys
- i make a mistake and try and do the scribble thing to cross it out but it either:
-- selects text
-- inserts a big space for entering more text between what i wrote
-- adds some punctuation it thinks i drew

that is followed by me trying to figure out how to get into normal keyboard mode because i dont have 15 minutes to fight the stupid thing

Check the tips app to see if there’s any demos. The first one seems like maybe an actual hardware issue, the iPad should recognize the pencil and stop the keyboard from showing up. The rest seem like they might just be some minor technique related things? Or maybe it’s the pencil being busted and it’s all stemming from that??

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

sleepwalkers posted:

Check the tips app to see if there’s any demos. The first one seems like maybe an actual hardware issue, the iPad should recognize the pencil and stop the keyboard from showing up. The rest seem like they might just be some minor technique related things? Or maybe it’s the pencil being busted and it’s all stemming from that??

Probably a technique thing in all cases. The pencil works flawlessly in drawing/note taking scenarios. I just suck at the gestures I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

My company has some 2nd gen iPads they are getting rid of. I was hoping to give them to kids who need something for school, but it seems that every app I try and download is incompatible. Is there a way to filter the store by compatible apps? Would I have better luck jailbreaking and finding an alternate store for that kind of stuff?

I'm hoping to get a decent word processor and some way of accessing Zoom.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Does google not have web apps that could be saved to the homescreen that do the job?

I don't know if those iPads get security updates any more but that will definitely be a risk if you jailbreak them.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Google docs web app does not work and I can't download a new browser

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Machai posted:

My company has some 2nd gen iPads they are getting rid of. I was hoping to give them to kids who need something for school, but it seems that every app I try and download is incompatible. Is there a way to filter the store by compatible apps? Would I have better luck jailbreaking and finding an alternate store for that kind of stuff?

I'm hoping to get a decent word processor and some way of accessing Zoom.

The only thing you'd be able to do is jailbreak and try to download old versions of apps. The issue there is that if it's an app that has to access something online, the APIs may have changed and it may not work anymore.

The last update for the iPad 2 was iOS 9, so apps will be potentially 7 years out of date. It's probably not even worth it, even if you can find apps, those batteries are likely toast by now and it's got the same processor as the iPhone 4S, so it's going to be slow. Plus the outdated Safari will be hit or miss on websites (even if you download another browser, it's likely still using Safari on the backend).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
They're paperweights.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Apple will let you download the old version of an app, but only if your account already owns that app. It's an annoyance but you can work around it by signing in to the App Store Only on the old iPad and a newer device, probably with a throwaway account, and get some games and utilities. But if the child doesn't have access to any newer devices they will not be able to add any new apps after that.

Also, they probably won't be useful for school in any meaningful way. Maybe Google Docs and email.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
There is no way an original 2nd gen iPad is useable, even for just kid stuff.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I’d send it back to apple or Best Buy for recycling. It’s not even going to be good for a coding side project since it’s so old.

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
Lol went to see if my 10th gen could split the keyboard and of course not. why would they remove a software feature but only on newer hardware, the fuckers

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
WHen does the new ipad air drop?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MuadDib Atreides posted:

WHen does the new ipad air drop?

If they don't launch it at WWDC (and I doubt they will), fall at the earliest.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I hope it still works with the magic keyboard. Dang thing cost a grip and a half.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Can anyone recommend a good epub reader for the ipad?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

I just use iBooks :shrug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MuadDib Atreides posted:

I hope it still works with the magic keyboard.

lol

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

I just use iBooks :shrug:

I straight up forgot that was a thing

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

I straight up forgot that was a thing

I really like it because it’s easy to import and it syncs across every device

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

I use Google Books since it lets me upload files, and I've made purchases from their store, too.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Traitor.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Kindle sux :colbert:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I use my phone to record my band rehearsals/writing time.

is there a better way to get large video files from the iphone to the ipad than syncing via my icloud stuff? seems stupid to upload then download then delete off the phone.

ideally some kind of automation/shortcut, but i'll settle for something manual.

Airdrop struggles as some of the videos are 45min+ and the whole point of wanting them on the ipad is to make editing them into shorter clips of riffs/ideas easier.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Laserface posted:

is there a better way to get large video files from the iphone to the ipad than syncing via my icloud stuff? seems stupid to upload then download then delete off the phone.

Airdrop struggles as some of the videos are 45min+ and the whole point of wanting them on the ipad is to make editing them into shorter clips of riffs/ideas easier.

First thing that comes to mind is recording with the iPad instead.

What other ideas did you have in mind? If you're going to transfer using an ad hoc connection, that's Air Drop anyway.

Another idea is to plug in an external storage device to the iPhone, copy to storage, then copy to iPad.

You could also setup an SMB share on a computer and copying the files there, then copying things to the iPad as needed.

Those ideas also depend on the app being used and if it hooks into the Files app.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I use the phone to record because its on a DJI gimbal. just using the standard native camera app, nothing special.

it just seems really weird to me that there isnt an easier way to do this.

like they sync to the photos app on the ipad, but they dont download to the ipad. is there a way to force them to download to the ipad automatically rather than have me go to edit the video first which triggers the download?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Laserface posted:

Get this for your iPhone

Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MK0W2AM/A

Then get the usb c one for the iPad.

:shrug:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

On the iPad you would choose 'download and keep originals' in the photo app settings. The problem here is that it would download and keep everything. There's no way that I know to just sync a specific album. I suppose a shortcut could be created but I don't know poo poo about those.

You might see if something like the Google photos app or Onedrive lets you sync a specific folder, which you'd setup on both devices. But then you'd probably still have to fiddle with the file on your phone.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Get this for your iPhone

Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MK0W2AM/A

Then get the usb c one for the iPad.

:shrug:

well i already have that or the USB-Lightning one, and i have a USBC cable so i will give this a try!

e: i have a USB to lightning and it does not connect my phone as a camera to the ipad pro.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 5, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Laserface posted:

Use a WIFI equipped disk as an intermediary

https://www.amazon.it/SSK-portatile-archiviazione-intelligente-automatico/dp/B0814WPH5M/

You can upload the files from iphone to disk over wifi and from disk to ipad using usb-c.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Laserface posted:

well i already have that or the USB-Lightning one, and i have a USBC cable so i will give this a try!

e: i have a USB to lightning and it does not connect my phone as a camera to the ipad pro.

You need a different dongle for the iPad.

Use the usb to Lightning on the phone

Copy to SD card

Use usb c dongle on the iPad

Copy from the sd card

That should work.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
For iPadOS 17 it appears they finally got rid of the dumb arbitrary screen resizing and you can give windows custom sizes now. I don’t know why they were so hesitant on that initially.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Where's my calculator, Tim?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Where's my calculator, Tim?

You have a phone right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007