Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

You best not get in her way. She'll throw you into a wall if you don't mind your step.

She's like real loving good at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Slow burn? lol dumb it down some, this poo poo is modern soap operas. People become interested in what happens to the characters. I feel connected so I'd watch an episode about the punisher prepping to take a poo poo at this point. Some people don't get attached. If you don't get attached, this poo poo has to be boring as hell.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

cosmicjim posted:

Slow burn? lol dumb it down some, this poo poo is modern soap operas. People become interested in what happens to the characters. I feel connected so I'd watch an episode about the punisher prepping to take a poo poo at this point. Some people don't get attached. If you don't get attached, this poo poo has to be boring as hell.

I think this is probably why Iron Fist is so bad.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also TV has fundamentally changed now that they are writing it to be all released at once. They don’t have to obey the writing conventions of the last 50 years because people aren’t sitting down for 20-30 minutes at a time, they are sitting down for 2-4 hours at a time. Your show can burn as slow as you want because everyone is gonna take it at their own pace now.

Also people who were bored by the Punisher... smdh I don’t think a word could be less relevant to this show, especially compared to the other MCU shows

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

That JJ2 trailer was surprisingly lackluster.

I'm still stoked, though.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Slow burn is supposed to mean you focus less on action but it should still be interesting. Like if you could make being a lawyer or climbing a ladder with binoculars interesting, that'd be a good slow burn.

Even better if the interesting part also leads into action, like if you have a good scene of sharpening knives or making battle plans.

As such, I believe daredevil and Jessica Jones have lots of good slow burns, but on rare occasion it gets boring. The other shows are all over the place, they have good parts but it's hard to call them good overall.

I haven't seen punisher yet but I hope it's good.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

BrianWilly posted:

I certainly want a great amount of titillating, gratuitous, gratifying violence in my Punisher shows, but I like the fact that this Netflix Punisher is at least sort of circumspect and restrained about what exactly he does. It's really nice that this version of the character falls more-or-less perfectly in-line with my personal idealized version of the character, as summarized way back when in this thread.

BrianWilly posted:

I think Punisher could work as a more standard hero -- or at least as an anti-hero -- if they focus less on the fact that he seems to brutally execute every single bad guy he comes across and more on the issue that, hey, sometimes -- not all the time but at least some of the time -- killing some of these guys is completely justified and defensible. He would still be working outside the law which would force the police and other heroes to try to deal with him, and this would still set him apart from the sort of characters who take their no-kill decrees very seriously, but it wouldn't depict Frank as some sort of "madman that has to be stopped" or whatever which, in my opinion, hurts the character more than it doesn't.

'Cuz, y'know what, sometimes it is really dumb to spare these bad guys. Sometimes it is utterly absurd for some heroes -- in their more badly-written moments -- to be wringing their hands about how all killing is bad no matter what -- why? BECAUSE that's why -- and Punisher is a good character with which to explore that worldview.

Thanks for nailing this down awhile back. Unlike the all heroes with their secret identities, Frank Castle's life has pretty much been declassified and laid bare in the comics. Everybody knows who he is, and why he does the things that he does.

The thing is, in the comics the police and generally other heroes think he's a psychopath but the trick is the audience knows he's not a psychopath at all. He absolutely does not harm civilians, he plans all these brutal killings as if it were an operation, and he's a man who had his life and family taken away after giving everything out there. There's a reason why Revenge motivators can make great action characters and movies. That's why we have poo poo like John Wick, Man On Fire, Conan the Barbarian, because there's the part in our brain that craves the whole "You lost everything, now make sure they lose everything".

People don't realize that the reason why Punisher MAX and punisher comics is good (and some bad, all depends on the writer) is because you already know who he is, and he has been killing criminals for years now. No origin story, it's just a continuation.

Bad guy, mob boss, bad operation, new drugs in the streets, innocents dying, police cannot solve this issue or look the other way, life is miserable, put a stop to it. Heroes do the same thing too, but without killing. That's why they are called heroes, and Punisher is considered a Vigilante, even though EVERYTHING they do is vigilantism.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 10, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hap & Leonard is the very definition of a "slow burn", and at no point is it ever boring.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Or the Expanse season 1.

Finished Iron Fist and really enjoyed it, and then watched all of the Defenders.

The Iron Fist is a god drat moron, but I really enjoyed this show. Mostly because I liked the Hand, and how a show finally got the mysterious Illuminati controlling the world done right. I was completely enthralled in the idea of Kun Lun and having a living weapon guard them. I enjoyed the dysfunctional family, and pretty much every character. The sound track, and shots/colors were amazing. Whoever they had doing the color work for the set design made me have eyegasms. The sound track guy channeled his inner Vangelis pretty good.

Defenders was a good build up, but I feel they fumbled the ending entirely like they did with Luke Cage. No one wants to watch 10 minutes of fighting the B team in the dark just after watching 5 minutes of a kickass fight against the A team.

Out of all the shows I'd probably rank them:

Jessica Jones / Punisher
Daredevil S2
Iron Fist
Daredevil S1
Defenders
Luke Cage

Philthy fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 11, 2017

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The Meachums plot saved Iron Fist for me. Ward was a really good character.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

The Meachums plot saved Iron Fist for me. Ward was a really good character.

Yeah, the way his world kept unraveling was excellent.

First Danny came back from the dead.

Then Danny exposed the layer of corruption under Rand Enterprises.

Then he had a drug overdose.

Then he killed his dad.

Then his dad came back from the dead.

Then he got framed by his dad, arrested and sent to a psychiatric hospital.

:lol:

It's like the writers always asked themselves "OK, how do we gently caress with Ward in this episode?" and the result was great.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's unfair of me to imply that Punisher season 1 is all-out boring, but I still think the season is too long and slow.

I am going through DD2 and frankly the campiness of the plot is more my style, and as I mentioned before it's a show that still believes in episodic television and establishing a solid rhythm instead of hours of repetitious brooding followed up by a crescendo.

Also, thanks to doing both Punisher 1 and DD2, I get to laugh at Frank's full backstory of the 17 different corrupt government agencies, gangs, and mercenary hitsquads responsible for killing his family. Somehow even the New York district attorney was in on it. Maybe by the end of season 2 he figures out Thanos had a guy there.

Poo on the people who thought most of DD2 was bad, though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dont even fink about it posted:

Poo on the people who thought most of DD2 was bad, though.

You've gotta remember that everyone judges things harder than you might. Personally I think Elektra constantly getting near fatally wounded was a negative and so was Matt needing to be told to listen for the ninja's breathing once he couldn't track their weapons anymore. You'd think he'd be better at improvising a way to see on the fly than that.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I’m still annoyed by all the breathing stuff in Daredevil. I thought he was supposed to have sonar? If he needs things to make noise to “see” them why doesn’t he constantly run into walls?

Well anyway Punisher was good and is definitely in the top tier of Marvel Netflix things. It perhaps tries a bit too hard to have its cake and eat it- War is hell but let’s have lots of thrilling action set pieces where Frank slaughters the bad men in graphic detail. It follows the trend of American war movies lamenting the toll doing terrible things takes on their troops, while glossing over their civilian victims.

And as a non-American the gun stuff was pretty jarring. Weird to hear someone like Karen Page who we are supposed to see as reasonable and rational spouting crazy pro-gun propaganda, saying that having guns for self defence is justified, positions that only fringe far-right parties advocate in my country.

But overall I enjoyed it a lot. Best paced of any of these shows, and good to see the CIA and mercenaries and the US government appropriately treated as villains. And Bernthals performance was great.

My tactical realism nitpick is that Micro’s family or some random civilian didn’t recognise Frank despite him being all over the media a few months back in the trial of the century.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

marktheando posted:

And as a non-American the gun stuff was pretty jarring. Weird to hear someone like Karen Page who we are supposed to see as reasonable and rational spouting crazy pro-gun propaganda, saying that having guns for self defence is justified, positions that only fringe far-right parties advocate in my country.

If you watched DD you'll know she has every reason to think that way.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

If you watched DD you'll know she has every reason to think that way.

I did and I guess it’s understandable that she thinks that after her experience with Wesley and whatever the mysterious thing in her past was. Still feels weird, especially when the show pretty much takes her side on the issue. The only person who argues against her is a strawman politician.

Like it’s understandable for Frank to be into guns because he’s a god damned psychopath, Karen is like a normal person.

Probably hard for Americans to understand where I’m coming from, seeing all the guns in Walmart and sporting goods shops and on cops belts were definitely my biggest moments of culture shock visiting America. That and the churches and flags absolutely everywhere made the place feel quite alien at times. Where I come from, the most popular opinion on guns is that we should have even stricter gun control and harsher penalties for possession. So it’s strange to see something as mainstream as a Disney Marvel Netflix show argue the opposite.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The problem is, you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. There are literally as many guns as there are people in America, you're never going to get rid of them and have UK style gun control.

So under that mentality, I can understand why some people think it's better to be armed. I personally don't agree with them, but I definitely get where they're coming from. And hell, if I lived in Marvel's universe where aliens can come out of the sky and gently caress my poo poo up, I probably would want to carry a gun too.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

WampaLord posted:

There are literally as many guns as there are people in America, you're never going to get rid of them and have UK style gun control.

Why not? Obviously there are more weapons in play here than there were in Australia, but their turn-in programs seemed to work well at removing them from circulation.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JawKnee posted:

Why not? Obviously there are more weapons in play here than there were in Australia, but their turn-in programs seemed to work well at removing them from circulation.

I mean, I could go on and on about the cultural difference and how "government coming to take your guns" plays right into the fears of a subset of right wingers, but the real answer is that there's no political will behind such a goal.

We literally had an elementary school mass shooting and nothing happened. The populace here is fine with gun deaths, or at least fine enough to not want to make waves.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

marktheando posted:

I did and I guess it’s understandable that she thinks that after her experience with Wesley and whatever the mysterious thing in her past was. Still feels weird, especially when the show pretty much takes her side on the issue. The only person who argues against her is a strawman politician.

Like it’s understandable for Frank to be into guns because he’s a god damned psychopath, Karen is like a normal person.

You're also forgetting the cop who tried to strangle her to death in like the first episode and the hitman with the knife who showed up in her house, and the thugs hanging around Mrs. Cardenas' apartment.

It's not like she's been living a happy life of sunshine and zero conflicts for the entire show or something. When she's first getting introduced, she's covered in blood in front of a freshly dead man.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, even just going off her time on the show and ignoring whatever shifty past they've hinted at, Karen being pro gun for self defense makes way more sense than if she were against them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

esperterra posted:

Yeah, even just going off her time on the show and ignoring whatever shifty past they've hinted at, Karen being pro gun for self defense makes way more sense than if she were against them.

She may have committed some light homicide.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They seem to flipflop on her past some like I mentioned a page or so back, it's weird and I wish they would pin it down. She killed someone in a car accident ?? or something which seemed to be the shifty past hinted at, but in season one she implies after shooting Wesley that he isn't the first person she's killed with a bullet so idk

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, who knows. They're treating her backstory just like the Hand's motivation.

If we're lucky, she was just bluffing in the moment so Wesley wouldn't try something.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

On the subject of projectile weapons, I laughed a lot when the ninjas used a bow and arrow against Daredevil rather than a gun. I couldn’t stop thinking about how ridiculous it was.

Funny how little things like that can break your suspension of disbelief when super powers and aliens are totally fine.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

RareAcumen posted:

You've gotta remember that everyone judges things harder than you might. Personally I think Elektra constantly getting near fatally wounded was a negative and so was Matt needing to be told to listen for the ninja's breathing once he couldn't track their weapons anymore. You'd think he'd be better at improvising a way to see on the fly than that.

I liked how Matt, who tracks everything by sound, needs to be told that he can follow the sound of breathing to find people.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HIJK posted:

I liked how Matt, who tracks everything by sound, needs to be told that he can follow the sound of breathing to find people.

To be fair, it's literally the blind leading the blind :v:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

marktheando posted:

Probably hard for Americans to understand where I’m coming from...

Not at all I understand perfectly. i was just pointing out that it's in character for Karen when you seemed to find it strange.

WampaLord posted:

We literally had an elementary school mass shooting and nothing happened.

That's not true at all. A sickeningly large percentage of our country called it a false flag. Also they postponed the release of Punisher after Vegas which was an incredibly drastic measure that upset several thousand people.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 11, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

WampaLord posted:

I mean, I could go on and on about the cultural difference and how "government coming to take your guns" plays right into the fears of a subset of right wingers, but the real answer is that there's no political will behind such a goal.

We literally had an elementary school mass shooting and nothing happened. The populace here is fine with gun deaths, or at least fine enough to not want to make waves.

okay, I had thought you were implying this was a practical problem due to the large number of guns that would need to be removed

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

marktheando posted:

On the subject of projectile weapons, I laughed a lot when the ninjas used a bow and arrow against Daredevil rather than a gun. I couldn’t stop thinking about how ridiculous it was.

Funny how little things like that can break your suspension of disbelief when super powers and aliens are totally fine.

I mean, it is pretty quiet. I kinda got the impression that they're trying to not draw attention to their hideout, even if they can disappear at a moment's notice.

HIJK posted:

Yeah, that one threw me off real bad. That was my minigun complaint, since I missed that whole build-up with Frank. I just felt like it should've been a lot more ninjas than were on screen.

That's probably why Punisher was so good. You only need to have people who can act and appear to shoot guns well instead of finding dozens of people who're great at martial arts.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Stick taught him that breathing was a fingerprint, not that you can find people by listening for breathing.....

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ah...just to be clear, y'all have it backwards. Matt couldn't hear their breathing. He could hear their weapons.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

BrianWilly posted:

Ah...just to be clear, y'all have it backwards. Matt couldn't hear their breathing. He could hear their weapons.

I also thought it was that he couldn't hear hearts but could hear breaths. Perhaps I'm misremembering. In either case, "ooooh, you mean I need to not listen to the thing but listen to the thing?" was a really odd plot point for a character whose superpower is listening to things.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

It's been a while since I've seen it but it just struck me as stupid as even ordinary people can still hear others breathing which means Matt should hear it as well since his senses are supposed to be SUPER CHAAAARGED. It's also strange to have the undead breathing when they don't have heartbeats to circulate oxygen with.

So my primary complaints are

1) Breathing is pretty obvious and should be obvious to Matt since it's a sound and his world primarily consists of sound

2) Undead zombies with no heartbeats should not need to breathe and it's a dumb inconsistency that was obviously fabricated on the spot to give Stick a Teachable Moment to Matt

3) Too many people try to handwave these complaints by going "iT's JuSt LiKe ThE cOmICs" or "wHo CaReS cOmIcS aRe AlWaYs DuMb" which totally misses the point: that it's dumb stupid inconsistent storytelling and it was created by people who should know better.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

marktheando posted:

If he needs things to make noise to “see” them why doesn’t he constantly run into walls?
There are actual blind people who can figure out where things are via echolocation of other sounds. DD has that sense amplified a whole bunch, so things like footsteps or ambient sound are a replacement for sight. It's not that weird.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Yeah, there's people that can sense objects without making clicking noises at them, and can "see" them even better by clicking at them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

HIJK posted:

It's been a while since I've seen it but it just struck me as stupid as even ordinary people can still hear others breathing which means Matt should hear it as well since his senses are supposed to be SUPER CHAAAARGED. It's also strange to have the undead breathing when they don't have heartbeats to circulate oxygen with.

So my primary complaints are

1) Breathing is pretty obvious and should be obvious to Matt since it's a sound and his world primarily consists of sound

2) Undead zombies with no heartbeats should not need to breathe and it's a dumb inconsistency that was obviously fabricated on the spot to give Stick a Teachable Moment to Matt

3) Too many people try to handwave these complaints by going "iT's JuSt LiKe ThE cOmICs" or "wHo CaReS cOmIcS aRe AlWaYs DuMb" which totally misses the point: that it's dumb stupid inconsistent storytelling and it was created by people who should know better.

I think the progression was [normal people] movement [ninjas] heartbeat [zombie ninjas] weapons [zombie ninjas] breathing???

But I wouldn't be shocked if I forgot a step or something along the line.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Breathing and heartbeat are evolutionary involuntary actions. Being a zombie doesn’t mean your body will stop doing something just because it doesn’t need that function. Nerds overthinking it, But NOT OVERTHINKING IT ENOUGH.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I think the progression was [normal people] movement [ninjas] heartbeat [zombie ninjas] weapons [zombie ninjas] breathing???

But I wouldn't be shocked if I forgot a step or something along the line.

The truth is we're putting more thought into it than the scriptwriters ever did.

cosmicjim posted:

Breathing and heartbeat are evolutionary involuntary actions. Being a zombie doesn’t mean your body will stop doing something just because it doesn’t need that function. Nerds overthinking it, But NOT OVERTHINKING IT ENOUGH.

ahoist by my own petard :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

There are actual blind people who can figure out where things are via echolocation of other sounds. DD has that sense amplified a whole bunch, so things like footsteps or ambient sound are a replacement for sight. It's not that weird.

It also contradicts what we have been told on the show about how Matt’s power works- his “world on fire” speech about how he sees the world and Foggy’s comment that he always knows when a woman is hot.