Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
is posting old news part of your gimmick too

Also the defender rally issue already kind of exists even with A and B as they are in pub play, even if B is designed to be easier to rally to at the moment. You can win matches as offense on 2CP if defenders commit too hard to forcing a hold on A and just charging B with ults as they try to feebly swat you off of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I Stand With High Ranked Widow Guy

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zoness posted:

is posting old news part of your gimmick too

Also the defender rally issue already kind of exists even with A and B as they are in pub play, even if B is designed to be easier to rally to at the moment. You can win matches as offense on 2CP if defenders commit too hard to forcing a hold on A and just charging B with ults as they try to feebly swat you off of it.

you're not wrong but in practice it's really rare since a/d is so stacked in favor of defense as is. putting the points as close to each other as they are to both spawns would make defense an untenable nightmare tho. you'd also be worrying about at least 3 points of entry from 3 completely different directions as the defense since the attackers could just go to b first and either go straight from b to a or wrap all the way around the defender's spawn. where would you even hide a teleporter as a symmetra?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Ddraig posted:

I always know when I'm being hit, the only issue is that if you're unsure where the damage is coming from (i.e. who is doing the firing) you never really can anticipate if you're in trouble or not. I mean, for the most part Tracer is going to a minor annoyance to a Reinhardt and even if she does score a few shots you can shrug them off, but then the next person that fires at you is Reaper when you expected it to be Tracer and suddenly you are in trouble but you might not realize it until it's too late.

That's more to do with situational awareness though and not the UI. The UI is fine.

Yeah, maybe I should clarify for the guy frothing at the mouth about Blizzard's Heavenly Sound Design:

I dunno about the other guy, but I wasn't saying that I'm walking down a hall and all of a sudden I'm dead and confused why. My issue was sometimes in a firefight it's a cacophony. Whenever I die because of someone behind me that I was unaware of, I was already in a firefight, and didn't know the additional damage coming from behind, because I was distracted from the guy shooting at me in front. Which is partially a situational awareness thing, partially a UI thing.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Deep Winter posted:

Yeah, maybe I should clarify for the guy frothing at the mouth about Blizzard's Heavenly Sound Design:

I dunno about the other guy, but I wasn't saying that I'm walking down a hall and all of a sudden I'm dead and confused why. My issue was sometimes in a firefight it's a cacophony. Whenever I die because of someone behind me that I was unaware of, I was already in a firefight, and didn't know the additional damage coming from behind, because I was distracted from the guy shooting at me in front. Which is partially a situational awareness thing, partially a UI thing.

so you didn't notice the red pips in the middle of your screen telling you someone was hitting you from behind

like, sometimes that just happens and you can't do anything about it because you're already in a firefight, and that's what makes flanking a great strategy, but that's not an issue of the ui

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm always aware when I'm getting shot from behind due ot the indicators. Now, my terrible space awareness and slow reactions sometimes mean I'm dead before I can shoot back, but I can't blame game design for that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

NmareBfly posted:

Are you saying that having the HP bar closer to the middle of the screen where it's more visible or having a damage callout before 70% of HP is gone are bad ideas?

I dunno why the matchmaking is a shitshow, either. I single queue and am part of about as many stomps as I am stomped on. I've won games with no healer and three Genjis. I've lost plenty as well but it's a video game and sometimes you lose. :shrug:

Yes to both, cluttering up the center of the UI is always a god awful decision in a first person shooter and having a damage callout happens as soon as you start taking damage, because not only do you see your HP bar start exploding, you hear shots being fired if they're close, footsteps, flashing on the screen, etc. Raising that 30% HP *gasping sound* bar decreases the importance of that callout because it's supposed to be "oh gently caress better run unless you're about to kill them with the next shot" not "oh you're getting shot at just a reminder." The "you're getting shot at" indicators come from all that other poo poo lighting your screen and audio feed up like a Christmas tree.

Matchmaking is a shitshow because while steamrolling jackasses is fun it's downright boring compared to an even match where there's effort and difficulty involved with a win. Walking the cart to the finish line in 3 minutes is a total buzzkill after you're doing it to the third rando team in a row. Wins are great and all but bad matchmaking just turns it into a boredom/frustration seesaw where you know whether it's a win or a loss within a minute because you're either getting spawn camped or halfway to winning by then.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Can ulting Winston get shields/armor from Symmetra/Torbjorn?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Nihilarian posted:

Can ulting Winston get shields/armor from Symmetra/Torbjorn?

Probably? I can't see any reason why he wouldn't. I'm pretty sure Symmetra's shield doesn't get wiped if you primal rage, and if you manage to pick up an armour pack somehow during it, it would probably count.

sex idiot
Apr 25, 2016

the fix to make dva good: make her regular runspeed faster. that is all

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Zoness posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that it's pretty common for the defenders to get routed so badly at A that they can't set up on B in time and the attackers get an easy tick or more. Temple of Anubis in particular, since defenders usually set up at the gate until someone slips past, then turn to kill the flanker taking A, then get routed by the rest of the attacking team from behind.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Deep Winter posted:

Yeah I'm basically in the same boat. It's not just sitting in a quiet room and then suddenly surprised that I'm dead. It's normal play with enemies in front of me and then 'what how did that 76 I was fighting do that much damage in a split second?', and then watching the replay and it turns out a Tracer/Reaper/Pharah was unloading on me from behind for the last 5 seconds.

The little red damage tick marks are OK, but the size variance needs to be greater. Tracer and Reaper are the worst culprits here. Probably because they do their damage in a lot of little shots, so you may only see a few tiny brief red sprays to let you know that they've actually just blasted off 75% of your HP. Visually this could be indistinguishable from a D.Va tickling you from a mile away. But then when you get whacked by a Reinhardt hammer, you get a giant chunk that takes up 1/3rd of the radius to let you know he's hitting you, even though it probably took less HP off than the Reaper shotgun blasts.

And again, I'm not just making this up to be a jackass. I wouldn't have mentioned it if it hadn't been bothering me since i started playing the game. I can't think of similar problems in TF2, or HL2, or even HL1, or Quake, or UT, or in a bunch of multiplayer mods across the years on all kinds of engines. I'd honestly rather have old clunky HL1 style big red wedges in one of the 4 screen quadrants, because at least those aren't easily missed. Or, you know, just an HP bar that wasn't white on grey and 10 inches away from the point on the screen where I'm actually looking.

I'm planning to go play around with the sound settings later, though, maybe updating drivers or turning the atmos on or off or something needs to be done to stop stealth sounds. If I could get the apparently fantastic audio that people keep gushing about that allows them to play while blindfolded, the UI issues wouldn't bother me so much. Or if they could just improve the UI, I wouldn't need the sound to stop being so selective. It's just the combination of the two that leads to the occasional problem.

sex idiot
Apr 25, 2016

i think having a good sound setup may be what's causing you guys problems because I play with a headset that only has one mono headphone on it and the cues are great

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Literally the second game of the day.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I literally did not know there were any damage indicators beyond the screen flash and deep breath. I'll have to look for these dot things you speak of.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Guys as much as I hate to say this we need to bring back McCree. I'd rather get flash/fanned to death 1000 times then deal with any more of these Tracers/Genjis/Zayras all waltzing around like their poo poo don't stink, blowing everyone out of the water.

edit: VVV I mean if the rocket hits Reinhardt and it doesn't clip his shield or anything then yeah it will damage him. Just gotta make sure it doesn't hit the shield because it does sorta arc at the top and provide a small amount of head cover.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 22, 2016

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Can you damage Rein's shield from behind? Say i'm floating right above him with Pharah and hit him with a rocket, either directly or indirectly?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Guys as much as I hate to say this we need to bring back McCree. I'd rather get flash/fanned to death 1000 times then deal with any more of these Tracers/Genjis/Zayras all waltzing around like their poo poo don't stink, blowing everyone out of the water.

I'll approve a buff that makes fan the hammer do 1000 damage per shot to Tracers and Genjis.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Jinh posted:

I have problems keeping an eye on my health in fights too sometimes, especially as zarya since 50% of my focus is on making sure my beam is on someone and the other 60% is on watching my teammates' positioning :shobon:

Even though tf2 doesn't have the half health sound effect or the 25 health pips making up the bar I find it easier to know my health in that game. I have probably 40 hours so far in OW and thousands in tf2 so maybe this is something I'll just get over.
The cross-shaped health bar in TF2 is an ideal shape for gauging health because it's compact and the fullness of the cross shape has 3 distinct sections. A uniform bar isn't good for quickly gauging health so you'll find yourself checking the numbers every time. Making the health numbers much larger and replacing the bar with a more compact shape would help.

I wish there was a way to get rid of floating healthbars as mercy. When I mouseover a teammate to see health just make it appear in a center-fixed position like the healing bar so I don't have HUD information running around my screen.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think the subtle cues for damage/near death are very intentional. If you compare this to something like Destiny where your entire AI and the audio screams at you at 50%, it encourages backing out. I am pretty sure Overwatch would rather just let you overextend a second and die.

Or at the very least it gives good players one more avenue to be better. Make keeping up with HP a major skillpoint and better players can use it to better effect. Yet another way to be good at the game that doesn't involve hitscan aiming.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Play more Symm. Tracers are a PITA sometimes because you constantly have to replace turrets but if you stick them in weird places near health packs they'll just delete her when she runs away after an engagement with someone else. Genjis suddenly can't jump over poo poo then mash reflect for no reason and die. Zarya may still be a problem, especially because she can feed herself with your turrets before blowing them up if she's smart but welp, can't have everything.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Huxley posted:

I think the subtle cues for damage/near death are very intentional. If you compare this to something like Destiny where your entire AI and the audio screams at you at 50%, it encourages backing out. I am pretty sure Overwatch would rather just let you overextend a second and die.

Or at the very least it gives good players one more avenue to be better. Make keeping up with HP a major skillpoint and better players can use it to better effect. Yet another way to be good at the game that doesn't involve hitscan aiming.

Or maybe it's just bad UI design cause they've never made a shooter before, and they didn't realize the HP bar was too small and needed to be color coded.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I hate Tracers as Symmetra though because any decent one will make it their mission to blow up your teleporter and you can't stop her.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Higsian posted:

I hate Tracers as Symmetra though because any decent one will make it their mission to blow up your teleporter and you can't stop her.

Set up your teleporter as bait for a trap, maker her walk into your turrets to get it. She'll still probably get it, but she'll die for it.

All mccree really needs is a tighter spread on fan so the bullets will probably all hit the smaller framed heroes.

Also it's almost like people were saying before the mccree nerf that if you nerf mccree the tracer and genji cancer would grow uncontrolled because he was the only real counter to them.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Elman posted:

Or maybe it's just bad UI design cause they've never made a shooter before, and they didn't realize the HP bar was too small and needed to be color coded.

Which is weird, because while their other games are in very different genres, they still had HP bars that needed to be easily read and reacted to. WoW has a bar with bright green health and black space when it's gone, and of course has a fully customizable UI. Diablo has a fat round health circle that is bright red and is easily readable even in peripheral vision by the high contrast between the HP and no-HP chunks.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I don't see why it would be so hard for McCree to easily do 200 damage to a stunned target instead of 600, which was the problem. Instead of nerfing the damage they should've taken away the reload on the roll, or increased the timer somehow. Double-FTH was the problem, not FTH.

Edit: I wonder if I've just gotten more practice noticing when people are shooting me in the back from playing too much Mercy. :argh:

Imagined fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 22, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah, I don't hear enemy footsteps while I'm in a firefight either. When I'm a bit away from the action, Reaper's footsteps are loud enough that I can track his position even around a corner and hunt him by sound alone...but when I'm actively getting shot at by someone else, Reaper can walk right up behind me without the slightest hint of a sound. I suspect that, like with Widowmaker's ult callout, they're underprioritizing the volume of things that don't involve anyone actively shooting at you, so the volume of a sneaky person's footsteps gets cranked way down because the game tries to prioritize the footsteps of the people already shooting at you.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Set up your teleporter as bait for a trap, maker her walk into your turrets to get it. She'll still probably get it, but she'll die for it.

This is still absolutely a winning trade for the Tracer

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

BobTheJanitor posted:

Which is weird, because while their other games are in very different genres, they still had HP bars that needed to be easily read and reacted to. WoW has a bar with bright green health and black space when it's gone, and of course has a fully customizable UI. Diablo has a fat round health circle that is bright red and is easily readable even in peripheral vision by the high contrast between the HP and no-HP chunks.
WoW's health bar is the single worst-designed part of its UI and it took Blizzard a decade to allow you to move it without an addon.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

My biggest problem with the UI is that I find it hard to keep track of my abilities. I wish there would be an option to make the icons larger or closer to the center or something.

Whenever there's a lot of stuff going on and I'm checking my cooldown status, it feels like I'm taking my eyes off the road and driving into the ditch. Maybe it's because I have my PC on the living room TV and not a monitor? I know the icons have the same size relative to the screen, but I think it's the difference between moving my focus 10" down/right and back, versus a couple feet. With most characters it's not a big problem, either the cooldown is short or it's not something I'm constantly spamming (so odds are it's ready when/if I need it). But for stuff like Zarya's barriers, it can be a real pain sometimes. Does the console version use the same UI as PC?

I definitely don't want a big flashing "YOUR COOLDOWNS ARE READY" sign popping up in the middle of the screen or anything, but I think it would be easy to convey that info without getting in the way. For example, a small ○/◒/● on each side of the crosshair to show the status - empty means the cooldown is 0-49% done, half-filled is 50-99%, and filled-in when it's 100%.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

I literally, literally just joined a game , and this happens.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Wow!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Incoherence posted:

WoW's health bar is the single worst-designed part of its UI and it took Blizzard a decade to allow you to move it without an addon.

I mean, it's ugly, but I would trade it instantly for the Overwatch white-on-no-background HP bar. Playing on a map with brighter colors on the ground, it becomes nearly unreadable unless you swivel to face a dark wall or something.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm new at the game so I'm going to complain about the UI and sound design and then passive-aggressively snipe at people who take apart my complaints.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Not you BobtheJanitor, the other guy.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

Lady Naga posted:

I literally, literally just joined a game , and this happens.

I wish that whenever someone gets put on chat probation, whoever reported them got a notification. It wouldn't change anything, and I've probably forgotten about the toxic jerkwad five matches ago, but having a thing pop up like "wow you were right, that dude was terrible" would make reporting people feel more worthwhile (and also it'd make me smile)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Just going to post this again because lol if you think McCree needs to be tweaked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdWJOs31IfY

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I never leave games early and I also never get stuck into the last seconds of a match. Does causation=correlation here?

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Goon in-house highlight from last night: I hear footsteps and then promptly poo poo my pants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSQM2Frq-wQ

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

Cage Kicker posted:

I never leave games early and I also never get stuck into the last seconds of a match. Does causation=correlation here?

I've left maybe 2-3 games ever, but I've lost count of the number of times I've joined a match and literally the first thing I see is a black screen and DEFEAT :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I don't understand people complaining that the health bar is hard to see.