Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rollersnake posted:

OK, so what is the best general purpose PC gamepad then, for retro and modern games? I need to replace my Xbox 360 controller since the left stick is drifting, and I'm not getting an Xbox One controller since I prefer wired and it's ludicrous to spend $70 on a gamepad anyway.

Are there any particularly good 3rd party 360 controllers?

Xbox One controller. Easily. It has all the benefits of the 360 controller but the d-pad isn't hitler, instead it's actually really good.

Pair it up with a Sega Saturn or SNES controller or maybe original PlayStation 1 controller (no analog sticks) on a USb adapter for playing games that don't use analog sticks at all, so where you want the D-pad prominent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Waldo138 posted:

I picked up a Model 2 Genesis at the thrift store that won't power on unless I wiggle the power cord. If YouTube is correct, it looks like a small soldering job should bring it back to life. I've never soldered before and now sounds like a good time to figure it out. Can someone please recommend a reliable soldering iron to me?
Yeah, it's almost certainly a cracked solder joint on the power connector, though it COULD be a problem inside the power connector itself. That's less common but still possible. If that's the case you'd need to remove the existing one and replace it, which is slightly more complicated than just touching up the existing connections. You might be able to tell just by taking it apart and looking at the solder joints while wiggling the power connector. If the solder has cracked, you can usually see the crack move.

Here's my advice on soldering irons:

Budget: https://www.amazon.com/Vastar-Full-110V-Soldering-Iron/dp/B01712N5C4/
Better: https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-40-Watt-Soldering-Station/dp/B000AS28UC/ or https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-temperature-limiting-soldering-FX600/dp/B006MQD7M4/
Best: https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WES51-Analog-Soldering-Station/dp/B000BRC2XU/ or https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888D-23BY-Digital-Soldering-FX-888D/dp/B00ANZRT4M/

Then you'll need some solder and flux.

Flux Pen: https://www.amazon.com/SRA-99-20-Rosin-Soldering-Flux/dp/B008OC3VMU/
(or any other rosin flux, including pastes)
Solder: https://www.amazon.com/Rosin-Core-Solder-60-4oz/dp/B0006O933K/
(or any other 60/40 solder with rosin core)

I also prefer this type of tip cleaner over using a sponge, but it's not essential:
https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-599B-02-Solder-Cleaning-Holder/dp/B01MXMH47L/

You should wait to see if some other people weigh in with their opinions, I am generally biased toward Weller and Hakko stuff. There might be some quality irons out there from other brands that I don't know about. I'm also of the opinion that the more money you spend up front, the easier a time you'll have learning soldering. You can learn on an $8 iron + solder + accessories kit (of which there are plenty on Amazon) and if this is the only thing you think you'll ever need to solder, it might be all you need. But it'll be a more fiddly process than using an iron with temperature control and quality tips.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 10, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

OK, so what is the best general purpose PC gamepad then, for retro and modern games? I need to replace my Xbox 360 controller since the left stick is drifting, and I'm not getting an Xbox One controller since I prefer wired and it's ludicrous to spend $70 on a gamepad anyway.

Are there any particularly good 3rd party 360 controllers?

By and large, you want controllers that are either 360 or Xbox One-compatible, for compatibility purposes. A DS4 will work with a driver and work pretty well, but some games may need a wrapper or manual futzing, and it's rare for a PC game to have Dualshock button prompts as an option.

The current all-purpose way to go is the regular Xbox One controller, especially the more recent models which offer Bluetooth. In the wired space, Hori has a fight stick, as well as a gamepad with more or less the 6-button Genesis controller layout, but unless you specifically want those types of controllers just get an XB1 controller, bearing in mind they frequently go on sale (they were just on sale on Amazon.ca for $49.99CAD).

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Waldo138 posted:

I picked up a Model 2 Genesis at the thrift store that won't power on unless I wiggle the power cord. If YouTube is correct, it looks like a small soldering job should bring it back to life. I've never soldered before and now sounds like a good time to figure it out. Can someone please recommend a reliable soldering iron to me?

Where the ac adapter plugs into the system there is a pin that contacts the inside of the cord and a flat piece of metal that contacts the outside. Sometimes the flat part gets bent back over time and doesn't make a good connection so try using a pick or paper clip to bend it closer to the center pin before buying a soldering iron

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Buccaneer posted:

Where the ac adapter plugs into the system there is a pin that contacts the inside of the cord and a flat piece of metal that contacts the outside. Sometimes the flat part gets bent back over time and doesn't make a good connection so try using a pick or paper clip to bend it closer to the center pin before buying a soldering iron

The flat part also loses contact when there's 25 years of dirt caked on it, so try using a toothbrush/cotton swab + alcohol to clean it first as well. Make sure the power supply side is clean as well (wait a bit for it to dry before testing it of course).

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

azurite posted:

You could try one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DTI9CJ4/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've heard that newer switch-mode power bricks might introduce ripple that old consoles don't handle gracefully. While I've never had problems with the brick above, you could also track down an old first-model Sega Genesis power brick.

So just as an update, I ended up getting this power cable and it works great! No more fuzzy horizontal bar, cleared the screen up enough for me to focus on all the black and white specks flickering all over the screen now. I can only assume that's because I'm still using an RF connector.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

RZA Encryption posted:

Thrift store find! I never look at the magazine racks, but this was right in front and staring right at me.

I love the strike games, so I had to have it. It's really neat looking into the past with old magazines like this.

quote:

Secrets of Koei's Inindo!

It's butt-loving ugly.

Old game mags are cool though, nice find. I let my dad throw away 5 years worth of Nintendo Power. :gonk:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I talk about Retroarch in this thread? I'm setting it up on my Surface Pro and looking for a cool theme to use.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Taintrunner posted:

Can I talk about Retroarch in this thread? I'm setting it up on my Surface Pro and looking for a cool theme to use.

Sure, this thread is emulation friendly. Discussion is great but of course no :filez:.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Been trying out Namco Museum on the Switch. Man, I am NOT happy that there's hiccups/framerate hits in Galaga when played docked (guessing it's an upscale thing).

I noticed that Sonic Mania's Chemical Plant Zone's first half also has this problem when it comes to water (especially noticeable in the boss fight). Guessing again that this is upscaling for the Switch.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Want an insanely clean Game Boy Micro? I've got one for sale: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833770

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

BisterdDave posted:

No more fuzzy horizontal bar, cleared the screen up enough for me to focus on all the black and white specks flickering all over the screen now. I can only assume that's because I'm still using an RF connector.

Good god...mods, delete this sick filth.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Been trying out Namco Museum on the Switch. Man, I am NOT happy that there's hiccups/framerate hits in Galaga when played docked (guessing it's an upscale thing).

I noticed that Sonic Mania's Chemical Plant Zone's first half also has this problem when it comes to water (especially noticeable in the boss fight). Guessing again that this is upscaling for the Switch.

Well that sucks. Have you tried locking the output to 720?

Turbinosamente posted:

This reminded me to ask, does anyone in this thread actively seek out and collect demos? I stumbled across some DS demo carts on Ebay recently and apparently there are a crap ton hanging around for it and the 3DS. Once you go GBA and older the amount of demo carts for sale drops significantly of course.

I don't actively seek them out (I got a Not For Resale WarioWare Touched by accident so that was cool) but I do want the one Gamecube kiosk disc that had a demo of Mario vs. Donkey Kong on it for the uniqueness of a GBA demo being playable on a Gamecube disc.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 11, 2017

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

but I do want the one Gamecube kiosk disc that had a demo of Mario vs. Donkey Kong on it for the uniqueness of a GBA demo being playable on a Gamecube disc.

That sounds really cool. Do you know how it works? I'd guess emulated, but it could just be a completely different version made to look like a gba game. Or, even more interesting, a kind of alternate gba player start up disc that loaded the rom from disc.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

What!? That's like the most authentic way to play a retro console that's been posted. Give that goon a commendation instead.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Hey now, I'll upgrade to composite soon.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I will try that soon!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

RZA Encryption posted:

That sounds really cool. Do you know how it works? I'd guess emulated, but it could just be a completely different version made to look like a gba game. Or, even more interesting, a kind of alternate gba player start up disc that loaded the rom from disc.

It can't be the second considering that the Game Boy Player hardware literally contains a Game Boy Advance. It's probably emulation, since the Gamecube could handle a GBA emulator, and there was a product from Datel that was basically an emulator and an accessory to read GBA carts.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

BisterdDave posted:

Hey now, I'll upgrade to composite soon.
I mean, you might as well, since it takes any RCA cable you throw at it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What are a good component cable maker for the PS2? I have a old three in one set that was made for the PS2/PS3, Wii, and I think Xbox 360 or original Xbox. It works fine, but I am noticing noise in the picture.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I could be wrong but the WarioWare game for Gamecube is pretty much just an emulator running a hacked up version of the GBA ROM, isn't it?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Rirse posted:

What are a good component cable maker for the PS2? I have a old three in one set that was made for the PS2/PS3, Wii, and I think Xbox 360 or original Xbox. It works fine, but I am noticing noise in the picture.

If you can find an official Sony one for PS2 or PS3, can't go wrong. But honestly, the monoprice 3-in-1 for PS2/PS3, Wii and 360 works great for me, no noise and is a heavy braided cable that will last.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Well, I tried it out just now. The framerate hitches in Galaga (Namco Museum) remain. Just for fun, I decided to throw on Chemical Plant Zone while I had my system locked at 720p. Alas, the slowdown that occurs still remains.

I was really hoping it was some kind of oversight that could be corrected. Nope. A Raspberry Pi 3 running 7-year-old code can do better than the Switch.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yes it's definitely a Switch issue and not bad programming/not enough time spent on the part of the probably two man team that slapped together the Namco stuff and a bunch of guys in Melbourne that Sega paid.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

It can't be the second considering that the Game Boy Player hardware literally contains a Game Boy Advance. It's probably emulation, since the Gamecube could handle a GBA emulator, and there was a product from Datel that was basically an emulator and an accessory to read GBA carts.

I agree that it's almost certainly emulation, I was just wondering if it was something much cooler, like feeding game data to the Gameboy player hardware from disc somehow.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yes it's definitely a Switch issue and not bad programming/not enough time spent on the part of the probably two man team that slapped together the Namco stuff and a bunch of guys in Melbourne that Sega paid.

I must admit that I haven't purchased other ports of Sonic Mania to compare. And no, not actually suggesting that it IS the Switch's fault. I've personally held for over a decade that there isn't enough emphasis on efficiency but instead a dumb "next gen" arms race. Got into an argument about it during the development of Neverwinter Nights 2, but I was a wee babby back then.

But whomever was responsible for Galaga be straight trippin'. Older generations didn't have this problem.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I must admit that I haven't purchased other ports of Sonic Mania to compare. And no, not actually suggesting that it IS the Switch's fault. I've personally held for over a decade that there isn't enough emphasis on efficiency but instead a dumb "next gen" arms race. Got into an argument about it during the development of Neverwinter Nights 2, but I was a wee babby back then.

But whomever was responsible for Galaga be straight trippin'. Older generations didn't have this problem.

God you're loving tedious

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Also I guess you just plum forgot how much slowdown games used to have whenever more than 2 sprites were on the screen, not to mention the sprite flickering that raised that limit to 3.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wamdoodle posted:

What!? That's like the most authentic way to play a retro console that's been posted. Give that goon a commendation instead.

lol if your retro game station doesn't consist of a dozen daisy-chained RF switches

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mak0rz posted:

lol if your retro game station doesn't consist of a dozen daisy-chained RF switches

:hellyeah:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FireMrshlBill posted:

If you can find an official Sony one for PS2 or PS3, can't go wrong. But honestly, the monoprice 3-in-1 for PS2/PS3, Wii and 360 works great for me, no noise and is a heavy braided cable that will last.

I will look into that. The one I have right now I think was a Gamestop branded three in one I picked up mostly for my 360 to play it in component.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you're gonna play PSX games in your PS2, make sure it's a component cable with composite video output too. PSX games don't like newfangled component video.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're gonna play PSX games in your PS2, make sure it's a component cable with composite video output too. PSX games don't like newfangled component video.

I'm pretty sure when playing them on a PS2 they work over component just fine. It's when you play them on an actual PS1 that component output doesn't work.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Also I guess you just plum forgot how much slowdown games used to have whenever more than 2 sprites were on the screen, not to mention the sprite flickering that raised that limit to 3.

Remember back in the day there would be actual storyline explanations for lag. Gradius' manual mentioned some sort of temporal rift for one particularly laggy sequence.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

univbee posted:

I'm pretty sure when playing them on a PS2 they work over component just fine. It's when you play them on an actual PS1 that component output doesn't work.

Remember back in the day there would be actual storyline explanations for lag. Gradius' manual mentioned some sort of temporal rift for one particularly laggy sequence.

I'm playing PS1 games on the PS2 with the old three in one cord, and it looks good outside of the noise in the picture. This isn't limited to games as I tested a dvd and saw it in the test Batman the Animated Series episode, which I KNOW didn't have that before.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

univbee posted:

I've been trying playing PSX games on my PAL PS2 and it doesn't like it at all. Is there a specific setting it needs?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've been trying playing PSX games on my PAL PS2 and it doesn't like it at all. Is there a specific setting it needs?

That's what I was forgetting, if memory serves the PS2 outputs PS1 games in 240p over component and some newer TV's don't like that. I don't think the PS2 offers options to work around this, unfortunately.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

univbee posted:

That's what I was forgetting, if memory serves the PS2 outputs PS1 games in 240p over component and some newer TV's don't like that. I don't think the PS2 offers options to work around this, unfortunately.

I'm using a mid-2000's plasma TV, so that might well be it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

univbee posted:

Kyptonite Fog is my favourite explanation for draw distance

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Another fun justification/excuse in general is Robotnik's deadly speedtraps to explain why you'd just spontaneously die when hitting certain surfaces just right in Sonic 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm using a mid-2000's plasma TV, so that might well be it.

This happened to me as well, it's kind of a bummer. Someday I'll get a CRT though, and it will all be peachy keen

• Locked thread