Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Close OHK is an option available to shotguns and not other weapons. Snipers let you kill people far away, that's what they're good for. ARs also let you kill people far away, that's what they're good for. The AK is nice up close but probably not as nice as a shotgun.

This is true. If you play so that you end up in shotgun range more than in sniper range, then you should run with AR/shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

cyanidewolf posted:

This is true. If you play so that you end up in shotgun range more than in sniper range, then you should run with AR/shotgun.

Well, even if you're in sniper range way more often than shotgun range, you already have a gun that's Pretty Good at that range. Having something covering a truly distinct range instead of "long range but a little better" may well be worthwhile even if it only comes up 1 in 10 games. I have plenty of shotgun kills in the top 10 - they're pretty nice for those times you manage to sneak close to someone even if it doesn't come up that often.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
One super interesting thing I've noticed is that the length of your gun has an impact on when you lower it - indoors you'll drop your rifle much further from a wall or door that you will an uzi or smg. That definitely influences my desired weapon choices.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Well, even if you're in sniper range way more often than shotgun range, you already have a gun that's Pretty Good at that range. Having something covering a truly distinct range instead of "long range but a little better" may well be worthwhile even if it only comes up 1 in 10 games. I have plenty of shotgun kills in the top 10 - they're pretty nice for those times you manage to sneak close to someone even if it doesn't come up that often.

Turns out AR is Pretty Good at any range.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

cyanidewolf posted:

Turns out AR is Pretty Good at any range.

Pretty much. I'll run with the AK/AR and a SMG most of the time. I should probably do more with the shotgun, but their reload times can be a literal killer.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Cimber posted:

If you learn to lead them properly then movement isnt a problem. I've gotten plenty of kills from 200+ meters with moving targets. Most of the time they just start jumping around like idiots because they can't figure out where I am shooting from. I may not get headshots, but i do get lots of bloodsplash animations.

drat I need to get my ELO good enough to where people can't find me.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Dropped school, got two 8x scopes and a 4x scope. Step outside immediately get run over by a vehicle.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

VulgarandStupid posted:

drat I need to get my ELO good enough to where people can't find me.

*posts the electric light orchestra joke @ u*

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

ChesterJT posted:

Dropped school, got two 8x scopes and a 4x scope. Step outside immediately get run over by a vehicle.

lmao i love this game

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

ChesterJT posted:

clearly you need to stay in school if you forgot to look both ways before crossing the street

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

was racing towards a crate for action in a mostly boring game and planned to park next to it for cover as it landed. Heard a buggy coming as I got close so slammed the brakes and got out to be ready for the guy but he was just barreling straight for my jeep and I died the second I got out as he t-boned it/me

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Tweak posted:

was racing towards a crate for action in a mostly boring game and planned to park next to it for cover as it landed. Heard a buggy coming as I got close so slammed the brakes and got out to be ready for the guy but he was just barreling straight for my jeep and I died the second I got out as he t-boned it/me

crates are like flames to moths. So many die around them.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Played in a random squad with a random dude last night who was 41 years old, sat in a recliner, played with a trackball, played with a 70 inch television.

We made it to top 3 and he was somehow the last one alive in our group. Holy poo poo, he could not hit the broad side of a barn, i couldn't stop laughing watching him try to kill one of the last 2 guys left. I was trying to explain to my younger teammates what a trackball was too and they were confused :laugh:

Edit: Like literally the other guy was around 30 feet in front of him, prone, and not moving and he missed a whole clip trying to shoot him, it was hysterical.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 7, 2017

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
squad game, ended up 5 players left and a small circle in an open field with no buildings. 4 of us alive. 1 enemy. He kills us all. A most shameful way to go to bed hungry, with only dreams of chicken.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

buckets of buckets posted:

No you're not whooshing but I could've sworn it didn't. Probably because weapon leaning on cover doesn't exist/is hosed

Bipods in this game "deploy" when you go prone rather than having a dedicated button for them

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
The AFKs are out of control, me and my buddies were just playing in games that were like 25 left before the first circle closed.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

The AFKs are out of control, me and my buddies were just playing in games that were like 25 left before the first circle closed.

I stayed til the end of the plane ride 3 games in a row to test this and there was max 5 afk dudes including myself so either this is a NA thing or solo FPP isn't the game mode they choose.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

This just in: All of the FPP love is confirmation bias of having no MMR, not playing against rank chasers and massive amounts of AFKs. If you're saying to yourself "I just do better in FPP, we top 10 every time", here's your reason why. You're still garbage, and this is why KDR is the only metric to give you any type of indication on how well you're doing.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

VulgarandStupid posted:

This just in: All of the FPP love is confirmation bias of having no MMR, not playing against rank chasers and massive amounts of AFKs. If you're saying to yourself "I just do better in FPP, we top 10 every time", here's your reason why. You're still garbage, and this is why KDR is the only metric to give you any type of indication on how well you're doing.

Nah, you can play much more aggressively without everyone third person camera cheesing. Flanking is actually effective.

e: and Pochinki is for turd-assed fuckbois

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I prefer first person and don't particularly care about stats one way or the other. When they come in, nice, until then, whatever, I'm still gonna play first person because it lets me do things like reposition when I force someone behind cover instead of sitting behind a tree or house until a third team walks by to end the stalemate.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

willroc7 posted:

Nah, you can play much more aggressively without everyone third person camera cheesing. Flanking is actually effective.

e: and Pochinki is for turd-assed fuckbois

Alternatively you can camp more effectively in fpp, because people can't 3pp to check if you are waiting for them.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
First person is the real way to play this game. They have so many other realistic things in this game, and then they offer you third person, where you basically have 360 degree eyeballs constantly. FPP forever.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm going to play first person until stats come and then I'll have to do custom games or something so that no one can find out how bad I am.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

What if you have a super low third person Elo but do well in FPP?

Also like mentioned, not being able to corner cheese. I still mostly play third person because that's what everyone else plays so I need to get good at it. I can also use the free camera to scan and get used to spotting. First person feels more tense and I really like it.

Counterpoint to KDR being all that matters: I average over 1 kill per game when dropping at school, but I'm garbage.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
FPP has less FOV than a real person does. Are we playing for realism or fun? I'm fine with people liking first person better, but realism is not a good reason to me.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Caring about KDR in a Soviet bush simulator is dumb and you are a lame person.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

FPP leader boards are coming soon so we'll see if VulgarandStupid's right, I doubt it. All the top TPP players are pro CS:GO players.

If anything, more people will play FPP if there's an incentive to climb a leader board.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I am excited for FPP leaderboards because all the AFKs make the mid game boring, can't find people to kill in so many games. The AFK bots will quickly drop to garbage rank and I will never see them again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VulgarandStupid posted:

it's actually the opposite. i've only ever got chicken dindins in 3PP.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

FPP has less FOV than a real person does. Are we playing for realism or fun? I'm fine with people liking first person better, but realism is not a good reason to me.

It's nothing to do with realism and everything to do with "guy that is 100% hidden behind a wall can nevertheless see over it perfectly". TPP is dumb as hell.

e: "It's just a different kind of skill!" Nope, dumb. lack of leaderboards is the only thing stopping FPP being the default game mode.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 7, 2017

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

KDR is insanely pointless. When I'm not teamkilling people at school I'm quite effective, but I spend so much time doing stupid poo poo for fun that it's not reflected in the stats at all.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the number one streamer on twitch is a former cs pro that only plays fpp. only asian streamers seem to still play 3pp, probably due to being bad at shooters.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

They need to release a mode where I can go 3pp and everyone else is locked to 1pp. That'd be the best I think.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

They need to release a mode where I can go 3pp and everyone else is locked to 1pp. That'd be the best I think.

Real pros play the mode where they're locked to FPP and everyone else is 3PP.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Shima Honnou posted:

Real pros play the mode where they're locked to FPP and everyone else is 3PP.

Everyone else is 3pp, you're eyeballs and hair the first two seconds of 1pp

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
A mode where everyone is just eyes and hair at all times, bringing both bush hiding and headshots to a new level.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Makes me sad how bad random squads are now compared to a few months ago. RIParino

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

cosmicjim posted:

I like FPP because TPP encourages turtling and that is the a not-fun part of this game. With FPP I have a shot bull-rushing someone up stairs and people actually have to put themselves in harm's way to peek around a tree. It isn't realism, it just helps fix one part of the game's risk/reward structure.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

NtotheTC posted:

It's nothing to do with realism and everything to do with "guy that is 100% hidden behind a wall can nevertheless see over it perfectly". TPP is dumb as hell.

Exactly. Defense always has a slight advantage but TPP turns certain situations in to "if defense isn't useless with a gun they've already won before the other party knows they're there". It also basically guarantees Mexican standoffs when both parties have small amounts of cover. Whoever moves first probably dies if the other party is any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
When 3rd was the only option you better believe I abused the gently caress out of that poo poo right down to pre-firing while rounding a corner against some poor sap who won't be able to defend against it. It's that kinda poo poo I don't want anyone to have the option to do easily, myself included. Actually, especially myself because I'm a dick who will abuse the gently caress out of it.

• Locked thread