Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ninja Rope posted:

Do kernel patches/features fed back to RHEL eventually make it into the upstream kernel? Does RH even accept those kind of patches from customers?

Usually, you find the upstream product (katello, spacewalk, ovirt, gluster etc) for branded products. Yum and some other utilities (usually on fedorahosted) take upstream work in Fedora and snapshot+backport fixes.

As a general rule, we try to avoid any changes downstream that aren't upstream (productisation and branding aside). Everything downstream has a patch upstream. It may get shipped before it's accepted upstream, but the changes converge again (critical bugs near a deadline may have a patch simultaneously filed downstream and upstream, with downstream accepted and merged as a fix while upstream is sent back for revision, but the revised patch is then goes back downstream).

We're a (relatively) small company, and we can't afford to maintain a bunch of diverged stuff. The kernel team is bigger, but the workflow is still:
Bug/feature
Patch upstream
Accepted upstream
Cherry pick or backport downstream
Accepted downstream
Released in RHEL

And we don't generally break that flow.

For the kernel, upstream is the kernel. Filing a bug against RHEL asking for a backport of the relevant feature/patch is probably the best way forward. Someone @fedora-devel-list could probably answer. Or your TAM. I don't know what the right external list is

evol262 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I'm looking to learn more about Linux. I've used Mint in the past, but stopped because I was unable to get my graphic card to work. I kind of want to mess with Ubuntu on my Galaxy Nexus so I'm thinking of at least dual booting.

What brought me back to windows was that I could not get my video card working. I have a AMD Radeon HD 7700 and games would just not run. I tried to find the best drivers to install, but nothing really worked.

Will I still have this problem? Is there anyone using this video card that knows of a solution?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
What does "doesn't work" mean? Wouldn't boot? Glitchy graphics? Bad performance?

Let's start there.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

What does "doesn't work" mean? Wouldn't boot? Glitchy graphics? Bad performance?

Let's start there.

Sorry for not being more clear. The computer operated fine except for gaming purposes. Games were being played through Steam.
The frame rate and settings in general were just terrible. Every setting was way below what it would be with Windows. At one point the card's fan was running constantly, but I was able to fix that. I was never able to get the card to run games at a decent frame rate though.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Jewce posted:

Sorry for not being more clear. The computer operated fine except for gaming purposes. Games were being played through Steam.
The frame rate and settings in general were just terrible. Every setting was way below what it would be with Windows. At one point the card's fan was running constantly, but I was able to fix that. I was never able to get the card to run games at a decent frame rate though.

Did you install AMD's driver for it or were you just using the default driver? The default driver for a card as new as the HD7700 is generally pretty slow for 3D compared to AMD's.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Black in the day we would just run glxgears and see the performance to tell if it was accelerated or not, but I bet even the default drivers run way after than a video card used to.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Longinus00 posted:

Did you install AMD's driver for it or were you just using the default driver? The default driver for a card as new as the HD7700 is generally pretty slow for 3D compared to AMD's.

The driver was from AMD. I think it was experimental or something. I remember having to remove the watermark in the corner. I think I may have installed an updated driver from them as well but I just couldn't fix it.

I didn't know if someone had the card working well, but I guess I'll just install Ubuntu and see.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
There are two popular Linux drivers: the open source one is just known as "radeon" and doesn't have that great performance, while the proprietary one is known as either "fglrx" or "Catalyst" and should have better performance. It still may not be good enough to play modern games, though, AMD's drivers aren't that high-quality.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
What version of Mint were you using? I had a ton of troubles with the flgrx drivers for my 6850. I think I figured it out to be issues with Cinnamon. I'm going to be trying a different distro one of these days.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

calandryll posted:

What version of Mint were you using? I had a ton of troubles with the flgrx drivers for my 6850. I think I figured it out to be issues with Cinnamon. I'm going to be trying a different distro one of these days.

FWIW, I have two 6850's in Crossfire with three monitors and they work fine in Ubuntu with flgrx.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

calandryll posted:

I was using Mint 14 Cinnamon and flgrx so maybe that is the problem. I was really enjoying messing with the OS, and I know it is cliche, but it just wasn't worth losing out on games since I was in a serious PC game kick at the time.

I may just try a dual boot of Ubuntu to see if I can get things working.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I dual boot Linux Mint with Windows 8. I have a (very slight) interest in upgrading to Windows 8.1, but if it's going to even remotely be a hassle in regards to the MBR, I think I'll pass. Has anyone done this, and did it require you to repair the MBR?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, I have two 6850's in Crossfire with three monitors and they work fine in Ubuntu with flgrx.

I tried Ubuntu awhile ago but couldn't get into Unity. That's why I went with Mint this time around, I can't remember having problems with the flgrx drivers under Ubuntu. That's one of the big reasons I'm thinking it is an issue with Cinnamon.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

calandryll posted:

I tried Ubuntu awhile ago but couldn't get into Unity. That's why I went with Mint this time around, I can't remember having problems with the flgrx drivers under Ubuntu. That's one of the big reasons I'm thinking it is an issue with Cinnamon.

Well, you can install a different desktop environment (including Cinnamon) on Ubuntu pretty easily, so maybe that's worth trying.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Does anyone know if it's possible to update XenServer's Xen hypervisor version, or if this an exceedingly bad idea and I should just wait?

Context: I finally managed to get a gaming VM running (with USB+PCI passthrough for mouse/keyboard/graphics card), and it generally runs faster than my other baremetal computer. That said, XenServer 6.2 runs Xen 4.1.5, not 4.2 or 4.3.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Put Ubuntu 13.10 onto a flash drive and booted it up. Just wanted to see about getting the computer set up for what I need. I could not even get skype to install or even be found by the software center. Terminal commands were not helping either.

I found help online, of course, but I had no checkbox for adding Canonical Partners in the software update area so I could not add the partner repository.

Took me about 10 minutes before I realized this was only skype and I didn't wanna deal with everything it would take to get my computer to where it would need to be.

Does not being able to solve this issue have anything to do with running the OS from a flashdrive instead of installing to a new partition?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I don't know the answer to your question, but try this:

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ saucy partner"

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Thermopyle posted:

Well, you can install a different desktop environment (including Cinnamon) on Ubuntu pretty easily, so maybe that's worth trying.

This is true but what is the point of running Ubuntu at that point? Linux Mint packages all the media codecs as a core part of the OS. Most of the features that Ubuntu boasts don't work without the Unity desktop enviroment. Live Scopes, Webapps, and maybe even the SSO stuff for applications like Friends and Empathy get ticked off or are just outright nonfunctional when not using Unity. If you're not planning to use Unity I see no real point in sticking on with pure strain Ubuntu. Infact I used to get random errors popping up stating that a program has crashed but I could never figure out what it was. In Mint I usually have to go out of my way and do something stupid to break it.

It's a real shame too, I like Ubuntu, and I even like the Unity desktop environment in almost every aspect except for the fact that the Minimize, Maximize and Close buttons are on the wrong side of the application and the fact that the taskbar is on the left hand side of the screen. Having that taskbar over there is a massive waste of space and has run counter to 20+ years of computing for me. I put the taskbar on the top of the screen so that closing and switching programs are all in the same spot :v:

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 30, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

YouTuber posted:

This is true but what is the point of running Ubuntu at that point? Linux Mint packages all the media codecs as a core part of the OS. Most of the features that Ubuntu boasts don't work without the Unity desktop enviroment. Live Scopes, Webapps, and maybe even the SSO stuff for applications like Friends and Empathy get ticked off or are just outright nonfunctional when not using Unity. If you're not planning to use Unity I see no real point in sticking on with pure strain Ubuntu. Infact I used to get random errors popping up stating that a program has crashed but I could never figure out what it was. In Mint I usually have to go out of my way and do something stupid to break it.

It's a real shame too, I like Ubuntu, and I even like the Unity desktop environment in almost every aspect except for the fact that the Minimize, Maximize and Close buttons are on the wrong side of the application and the fact that the taskbar is on the left hand side of the screen. Having that taskbar over there is a massive waste of space and has run counter to 20+ years of computing for me. I put the taskbar on the top of the screen so that closing and switching programs are all in the same spot :v:

Oh, I agree completely. I'm just saying that if for some reason fglrx isn't working on Mint and it does on Ubuntu, that might be an easy solution.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm currently using chef-solo & Fabric, and it seems to work pretty well. What am I missing out on by not using chef-server & chef-client?

Also, what's the point of berkshelf? Don't I already have to list my dependencies in metadata.rb?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

fletcher posted:

I'm currently using chef-solo & Fabric, and it seems to work pretty well. What am I missing out on by not using chef-server & chef-client?
Node search and reporting, mostly. If you don't need them, don't use them.

fletcher posted:

Also, what's the point of berkshelf? Don't I already have to list my dependencies in metadata.rb?
You don't use Berkshelf to manage your dependencies, you use it to install them in a repeatable way that's easily portable between development systems. It's a lot less machinery than maintaining a whole cookbooks directory downloaded from Opscode Community or wherever on every system being used for development.

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

caiman posted:

I dual boot Linux Mint with Windows 8. I have a (very slight) interest in upgrading to Windows 8.1, but if it's going to even remotely be a hassle in regards to the MBR, I think I'll pass. Has anyone done this, and did it require you to repair the MBR?

Dual booting Arch Linux and Windows 8 with Grub2, and I upgraded to Windows 8.1 somewhat last week without any problems in this regard.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
We have an unknown process / job / user chown'ing some of our application's directories.

Is inotify the best way to figure out what's causing it or are there better alternatives?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

hackedaccount posted:

We have an unknown process / job / user chown'ing some of our application's directories.

Is inotify the best way to figure out what's causing it or are there better alternatives?

Systemtap is the best way to figure out what's causing this, really, though it's sort of a pain to get onto production systems.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

YouTuber posted:

This is true but what is the point of running Ubuntu at that point?

I've been asking myself this since it came out and I'm glad to hear other people are finally catching on :v:

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

evol262 posted:

Systemtap is the best way to figure out what's causing this, really, though it's sort of a pain to get onto production systems.

Thanks for the info. Yeah these are live systems so Systemtap might not be possible but I'll dig into it.

If anyone has additional ideas it would be much appreciated.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Do you think something weird is running, or just somebody doing something they shouldn't?

I was going to suggestion using inotify/inotifyd, tracking something like ps/lsof etc. but also remember now that Linux Malware Detect http://www.rfxn.com/projects/linux-malware-detect/ has some built in inotify stuff along with all the other scanning.

If you think it might be something that snuck on, running a rootkit check with something like rkhunter never hurts to be sure.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

hackedaccount posted:

Thanks for the info. Yeah these are live systems so Systemtap might not be possible but I'll dig into it.

If anyone has additional ideas it would be much appreciated.

auditd

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

JHVH-1 posted:

Do you think something weird is running, or just somebody doing something they shouldn't?

I was going to suggestion using inotify/inotifyd, tracking something like ps/lsof etc. but also remember now that Linux Malware Detect http://www.rfxn.com/projects/linux-malware-detect/ has some built in inotify stuff along with all the other scanning.

If you think it might be something that snuck on, running a rootkit check with something like rkhunter never hurts to be sure.

Yeah I doubt something snuck on. I suspect it's a script or batch job or someone with root messing it up. It's a Big Corp so of course the application team can't tell me when it changed or if it ever worked in the first place and 30 million people have root so it's hard to narrow down that way. .bash_history shows nothing. I'll certainly look into rkhunter and Linux Malware Detect. Some type of clunky ps / ls / lsof script was something I thought about but I was hoping there was something more elegant.

I considered auditd too but I'm gun shy about the amount of overhead auditing creates. Any opinions on how much it will impact the system if we only monitor a single directory?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

hackedaccount posted:

I considered auditd too but I'm gun shy about the amount of overhead auditing creates. Any opinions on how much it will impact the system if we only monitor a single directory?

Not much. And it's probably a small price to pay to diagnose your problem with certainty.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Alrighty, maybe I'll just go for it and enable auditd, thanks.

If anyone else other ideas (including janky shell scripts) let me know!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

hackedaccount posted:

Alrighty, maybe I'll just go for it and enable auditd, thanks.

If anyone else other ideas (including janky shell scripts) let me know!

Auditd is going to be your best, sanest best, but...

inotifywait /path && lsof /path | awk '{print $2}' | xargs -i{} ps {}

A chmod is probably too fast, but without knowing what process is doing it, there's no telling what syscalls they're using, and you may catch it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evol262 posted:

Auditd is going to be your best, sanest best, but...

inotifywait /path && lsof /path | awk '{print $2}' | xargs -i{} ps {}

A chmod is probably too fast, but without knowing what process is doing it, there's no telling what syscalls they're using, and you may catch it.
I'd amend the inotifywait /path to inotifywait -e attrib /path so it only catches metadata changes instead of actual file reads/writes.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Can someone explain tiling window managers to me? As in, I'm right now on Unity in Ubuntu, doesn't bother me too much since most of my dev work is in vim/terminal with tmux splitting the windows evenly. I still keep hearing from people just how amazing of a kill app a tiling manager is, so I really want to investigate.

Anything you guys could recommend for a beginner to get started?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

DreadCthulhu posted:

Can someone explain tiling window managers to me? As in, I'm right now on Unity in Ubuntu, doesn't bother me too much since most of my dev work is in vim/terminal with tmux splitting the windows evenly. I still keep hearing from people just how amazing of a kill app a tiling manager is, so I really want to investigate.

In theory, a tiling window manager allows you to take those things you like about tmux/vim/emacs buffers/panes and apply them to your entire experience. In practice, the people who think tiling window managers are a "killer app" fall into three categories:

• People who don't know how to effectively manage panes and buffers inside screen, emacs, or whatever.
  • People who don't do a lot of "real work" where you're doing dynamic stuff.
  • People with perfect workflows
A tiling WM is extremely nice on laptops because you can swap between your browser and your terminals with one keystroke. Some tiling WMs can easily move an entire workspace to another monitor just as easily.

But they're historically terrible with Java apps without hacking .xinitrc. And almost every tiling WM worth using (Xmonad, Awesome) requires learning an otherwise obscure language just to configure it unless you want to cobble together sort-of works configs from other people. Every time you get a popup window, your browser will shrink. There was no practical way to keep Firefox's downloads window open in the background, You end up writing a lot of custom rules so "VLC" 'floats' and applications that spawn a lot of window behave. You don't have any title bars, so moving applications can be a hassle on a laptop. Managing VMs and their consoles is an exercise in frustration because there's not a good way (in the tiling paradigm instead of making everything "float") to interact with the console while you have the VM settings window open. You have no systray and no notification system unless you add it yourself. Or put together a script to let you know when you have email by polling Google yourself. Warning about IMs will pretty much be writing your own notification scripts.

They're far from a "killer app". If I'm working on a laptop, and all I need to be able to swap back and forth between a few sets of terminals doing different things, an IRC client, and Firefox extremely rapidly/fluidly, Xmonad is great. If I'm on a desktop with 3 monitors, I'm managing VMs, I'm using GIMP or configuring Pycharm, or whatever, it's a huge hassle. If you're already using vim/tmux and splitting the window there, it's likely that a tiling WM offers you zero advantages.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Interesting explanation, thanks for taking the time there. It sounds like that'd not be extremely beneficial, and I do encounter a lot of the scenarios that you list in the "horror story" case, so what I have now feels like a better fit.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

DreadCthulhu posted:

Interesting explanation, thanks for taking the time there. It sounds like that'd not be extremely beneficial, and I do encounter a lot of the scenarios that you list in the "horror story" case, so what I have now feels like a better fit.

Still, if you're curious, I pushed some configs.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

DreadCthulhu posted:

evol262 posted:

In theory, a tiling window manager allows you to take those things you like about tmux/vim/emacs buffers/panes and apply them to your entire experience. In practice, the people who think tiling window managers are a "killer app" fall into three categories:

• People who don't know how to effectively manage panes and buffers inside screen, emacs, or whatever.
  • People who don't do a lot of "real work" where you're doing dynamic stuff.
  • People with perfect workflows
A tiling WM is extremely nice on laptops because you can swap between your browser and your terminals with one keystroke. Some tiling WMs can easily move an entire workspace to another monitor just as easily.

But they're historically terrible with Java apps without hacking .xinitrc. And almost every tiling WM worth using (Xmonad, Awesome) requires learning an otherwise obscure language just to configure it unless you want to cobble together sort-of works configs from other people. Every time you get a popup window, your browser will shrink. There was no practical way to keep Firefox's downloads window open in the background, You end up writing a lot of custom rules so "VLC" 'floats' and applications that spawn a lot of window behave. You don't have any title bars, so moving applications can be a hassle on a laptop. Managing VMs and their consoles is an exercise in frustration because there's not a good way (in the tiling paradigm instead of making everything "float") to interact with the console while you have the VM settings window open. You have no systray and no notification system unless you add it yourself. Or put together a script to let you know when you have email by polling Google yourself. Warning about IMs will pretty much be writing your own notification scripts.

They're far from a "killer app". If I'm working on a laptop, and all I need to be able to swap back and forth between a few sets of terminals doing different things, an IRC client, and Firefox extremely rapidly/fluidly, Xmonad is great. If I'm on a desktop with 3 monitors, I'm managing VMs, I'm using GIMP or configuring Pycharm, or whatever, it's a huge hassle. If you're already using vim/tmux and splitting the window there, it's likely that a tiling WM offers you zero advantages.

I disagree almost entirely. I replaced Unity on Ubuntu with Awesome and it's made things much better. Its an entire paradigm shift but there is a bit of power under the hood if you're willing to climb the learning curve. For instance, there aren't 'desktops' in awesome, but 'tags'. Typically you will view every client assigned a certain tag, much like a classical desktop model, but with tags you can mix and match them. I have my IM program in one tag that I can view independantly but if I find I'm having to switch back and forth between that and another tag often, I don't move it from one desktop to the other to reduce switching as I can just view both tags at the same time.

Some of the complaints, if applied to Awesome, are silly. "You don't have title bars, so moving applications can be a hassle on a laptop". The default Awesome config has move mapped to windows key + left mouse - you hold the mod key and them grab any point in the window to move it. This seems a hell of a lot easier than aiming for a small title bar, especially on a laptop. Resizing is shift+mod+left click. gently caress trying to grab the hot zone on the edge of a window, anywhere will do! That is, of course, assuming you have a window that's floating and you want to resize it.

The window I'm typing in, for example, is not floating, and automatically fills up half of my screen (terminal with a bunch of vi panes is on the other half). If I want to resize it, it is as easy as mod+h or mod+l, and switching between them is mod+j and k. If I want to move it around by the keyboard, I can use mod+shift+j and k, and don't need to do anything with the mouse regardless if there are title bars or not.

I usually have a few windows open at once and it's nice to have a window manager that automatically resizes everything so the entire screen is full. I can launch a new program and have it immediately resize all of the existing windows to use the screen maximally.

This isn't to say its for everyone, or that I won't tire of it or even just find a better workflow, but to poo poo on it for spurious reasons? I'd recommend you try it and see what you think. I have a similar work flow but it is common for me to have something with the terminal, documentation or something, and its nice to have a wm that lets me put them side by side without a lot of horseshit.

EDIT: Heh at Lua being an "obscure" language; it's not the most common but its a perfectly suitable embedded scripting languge.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Delta-Wye posted:

I disagree almost entirely. I replaced Unity on Ubuntu with Awesome and it's made things much better. Its an entire paradigm shift but there is a bit of power under the hood if you're willing to climb the learning curve. For instance, there aren't 'desktops' in awesome, but 'tags'. Typically you will view every client assigned a certain tag, much like a classical desktop model, but with tags you can mix and match them. I have my IM program in one tag that I can view independantly but if I find I'm having to switch back and forth between that and another tag often, I don't move it from one desktop to the other to reduce switching as I can just view both tags at the same time.
This is applicable to pretty much every tiling WM.

Delta-Wye posted:

Some of the complaints, if applied to Awesome, are silly. "You don't have title bars, so moving applications can be a hassle on a laptop". The default Awesome config has move mapped to windows key + left mouse - you hold the mod key and them grab any point in the window to move it. This seems a hell of a lot easier than aiming for a small title bar, especially on a laptop. Resizing is shift+mod+left click. gently caress trying to grab the hot zone on the edge of a window, anywhere will do! That is, of course, assuming you have a window that's floating and you want to resize it.
If you notice, I also posted Awesome configs. I've used Awesome. It has all the same problems. You can Mod4+left-click to move windows, sure, And shift+mod4+left-click to resize. But the workflow is simply different, and you end up needing to look for hot zones to resize panes inside your IDE or whatever anyway. It's a common paradigm which everyone's gotten used to over the last 20 years. Mod4+click (or middleclick with a real mouse) works, and it's perfectly functional, but that doesn't change the fact that it's doing to feel al ittle alien.

Delta-Wye posted:

The window I'm typing in, for example, is not floating, and automatically fills up half of my screen (terminal with a bunch of vi panes is on the other half). If I want to resize it, it is as easy as mod+h or mod+l, and switching between them is mod+j and k. If I want to move it around by the keyboard, I can use mod+shift+j and k, and don't need to do anything with the mouse regardless if there are title bars or not.
Which says absolutely nothing, really. You can resize, swap, and move panes around in tmux, vim, or irssi just as readily. But when something throws an error in a popup that suddenly takes up half your screen automatically, it's an annoyance, and one that only gets worse in applications which are written with a traditional workflow in mind. Open virt-manager. Then open a VM. Go into the add hardware wizard. Create a new storage domain. Add a disk inside that domain. This sucks on a tiling WM.

Delta-Wye posted:

I usually have a few windows open at once and it's nice to have a window manager that automatically resizes everything so the entire screen is full. I can launch a new program and have it immediately resize all of the existing windows to use the screen maximally.
This is the win of tiling WMs. But you probably shouldn't pretend that it doesn't have downsides, or that the downsides are easily glossed over.

Delta-Wye posted:

This isn't to say its for everyone, or that I won't tire of it or even just find a better workflow, but to poo poo on it for spurious reasons? I'd recommend you try it and see what you think. I have a similar work flow but it is common for me to have something with the terminal, documentation or something, and its nice to have a wm that lets me put them side by side without a lot of horseshit.
Look. I'm a Python developer, and I spent years as a sysadmin. I get exactly what you mean. And if your workflow boils down to "have all my terminals visible at all times and add new terminals as easily as possible, rearranging their layouts without taking my hands of the screen", there's not much better than Xmonad or Awesome. But that's a minority of the population, even of the Linux-using population.

Delta-Wye posted:

EDIT: Heh at Lua being an "obscure" language; it's not the most common but its a perfectly suitable embedded scripting languge.
Compared to Python, Ruby, Perl, or even JavaScript? Lua's biggest use case is embedded scripting for video games. It's perfectly suitable, but not widely known, which qualifies as 'obscure'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

evol262 posted:

Which says absolutely nothing, really. You can resize, swap, and move panes around in tmux, vim, or irssi just as readily. But when something throws an error in a popup that suddenly takes up half your screen automatically, it's an annoyance, and one that only gets worse in applications which are written with a traditional workflow in mind. Open virt-manager. Then open a VM. Go into the add hardware wizard. Create a new storage domain. Add a disk inside that domain. This sucks on a tiling WM.

Yes, the virt-manager UI is awful. Not sure how that's a tiling WM's fault.