Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
are any of the secondary dark tower things good? i saw there is a comic that follows the fall of gilead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

bitterandtwisted posted:

Just finished the Dark Tower series.
Really enjoyed the first 4.
5, I liked the Magnificent 7-type plot, but I didn't like that it leaned into the meta fiction stuff, which only got worse in 6. I pushed on and at least got accustomed to it.
Walter O'Dim going out like a chump to Mordred felt anti-climactic after so long as a shadowy antagonist. Mordred, after building up what a threat he was over several books, going out like a chump, half dead of dysentery, even more so.

yeah these were pretty much my feelings too, and not really loving the way that Jake and Oy died either, or really any of Susan's stuff in the later books. It really felt like she was just a thing that events happened to

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

err posted:

are any of the secondary dark tower things good? i saw there is a comic that follows the fall of gilead

Never read any of the comics, but wind through the keyhole and little sisters of elluria are really good.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I liked The Gunslinger, but found the second book pretty boring; I got about halfway through and gave up.

Should I give it another chance? The Dark Tower remains some of the only King I haven't read (like Duma Key, Mr. Mercedes and the Holly books, except The Outsider), and I dunno, I feel weird not having read it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yes, the third and fourth books are amazing

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I loved them all even if the last three are flawed.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The second book is trippy, but I skip it because I want to get to the good stuff.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Leave posted:

I liked The Gunslinger, but found the second book pretty boring; I got about halfway through and gave up.

Should I give it another chance? The Dark Tower remains some of the only King I haven't read (like Duma Key, Mr. Mercedes and the Holly books, except The Outsider), and I dunno, I feel weird not having read it.

I was kind of in your shoes when I started the dark tower. 3 is very good. 4 is probably tied for my favorite king book of all time.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

err posted:

I read a couple of the TPB for the comic and couldn't stick with it. Partly because I can only stand Jae Lee's visual style in small doses, partly because narratively the comics felt less dense than the books. There are some well done panels and sequences here or there but it didn't overall feel like an improvement over just reading the books.

YMMV though. To be fair I'm probably biased because the art in the first four books was so formative to my experience reading them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So King was an addict but I guess he never went for the booze, because he just wrote (well I just read, written by him) a habitual drunk downing two vodka drinks and feeling it like at least ten minutes later. SMHD.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

3D Megadoodoo posted:

So King was an addict but I guess he never went for the booze, because he just wrote (well I just read, written by him) a habitual drunk downing two vodka drinks and feeling it like at least ten minutes later. SMHD.

He was a serious drink-the-mouthwash alcoholic and went into some depth about it in On Writing. But he's been out of the game for like 50 years and might've forgotten what it was like :unsmith:

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Also he did his mom’s eulogy black-out drunk.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Also he did his mom’s eulogy black-out drunk.

Oof. Was it good?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

For those (fortunate) not in the know: black-out-drunk doesn't mean in any way intellectually impaired, just that you aren't retaining memories.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oof. Was it good?

They adapted it into a Bojack Horseman episode and yeah, it was alright.

afroserty
Apr 22, 2010
I've been meaning to read Cycle of the Werewolf for a while and didn't realise how short it was until I started it but I really enjoyed it but you can say this about a lot of King's novels just due to the volume of them. For a short one it really feels like it builds some steam and the ending was good, if a little bit silly.

If you haven't read it it's not much of a time investment and the mental image of Marty, a boy in a wheelchair not only blowing out the eye of the wolf but then sending the pastor a crudely written letter asking "Why don't you kill yourself" is worth the time spent.

It had a little afterward about the cycle of the moon being played with so he could use holidays more effectively but I must be dumb because I didn't think anything of it when reading.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

afroserty posted:

I've been meaning to read Cycle of the Werewolf for a while and didn't realise how short it was until I started it but I really enjoyed it but you can say this about a lot of King's novels just due to the volume of them. For a short one it really feels like it builds some steam and the ending was good, if a little bit silly.

If you haven't read it it's not much of a time investment and the mental image of Marty, a boy in a wheelchair not only blowing out the eye of the wolf but then sending the pastor a crudely written letter asking "Why don't you kill yourself" is worth the time spent.

It had a little afterward about the cycle of the moon being played with so he could use holidays more effectively but I must be dumb because I didn't think anything of it when reading.

No need for imagination,this was made into the movie silver bullet.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

PriorMarcus posted:

They adapted it into a Bojack Horseman episode and yeah, it was alright.

Best episode.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

King was actually an incredibly heavy alcoholic! People who have never seen or met him don’t tend to realize that he’s about 6’4 and probably weighed in the vicinity of 250 pounds for most of his life - not really fat, just incredibly tall and built like a brick shithouse, as one says. Pretty sure he’d drink around 30 beers a day before he even really became aware that he had a problem.

My understanding is that it began to be a real problem in the ‘80s, when he simultaneously amassed an inexhaustible fortune and got heavily addicted to cocaine, which of course massively increased the amount that he could drink since the cocaine would keep him awake and writing while utterly wasted. My understanding is that much of his output between 1981-89 was written in this state, and is partially why the tone of his writing shifted to something more thoughtful and carefully plotted in the ‘90s.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Not Coked out of his mind King is a better author but Coked out of his mind King was a better writer.

I will not be taking any questions.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Finished IT today, certainly was a ride and I can see why it’s so well liked. I loved reading all the Derry background.

One of my favorite parts in 11/22/63 was the time Jake spent in Derry (and basically what got me to finally start IT in the first place).

Now contemplating which I should pick up next. Firestarter, Insomnia, Carrie or Misery.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Out of the four, I'd say my favorite is probably Insomnia. It's a bit of a snooze (:dadjoke:), but I liked the slow pace. It's the only one of the four that I've read more than once.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Insomnia is really good. It's also set in Derry!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Misery is low-key one of the top 3 king books imo. Because it's so realistic, it's horrifying in a way that e.g. IT or The Shining aren't. It also has a lot to say about addiction, loss, and how art can get you through the worst poo poo. It's far shorter than your other options so I'd suggest going with it first.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Insomnia is one of my favorites, and I'd recommend that one, too.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Insomnia it is then!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Misery is amazing

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
https://www.amazon.com/Long-Walk-Stephen-King-ebook/dp/B018ER7IPK/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1

Long Walk $1.99

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

has stephen king done any pulpy scifi horror other than the tommyknockers?

i ask because i just finished the tommyknockers and really liked it

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

0 rows returned posted:

Short story wise maybe "the Jaunt" only one off the top of my head that's "sci-fi", and I guess the end is pulpy in an old EC comics way. I feel like he must of done another at some point but can't really think of any others off the top of my head.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

As far as pulpy sci-fi stuff goes the majority is definitely in short stories. Just off the top of my head:

- I am the doorway
- The jaunt
- 10 o'clock people
- Battleground
- Trucks
- Grey matter
- Beachworld
- Rainy season
- House on Maple Street
- N

There might be some others, I've been tapped out of the short story collections for the past few years. I guess Dreamcatcher would also count but don't read that one it's pretty bad. Duma Key maybe?

Glad to see more people recognizing the greatness of Tommyknockers though.

Edit: oh wait I almost forgot - Under the Dome, although the sci-fi element doesn't show up until the end basically.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 16, 2024

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I finished Wolves of the Calla. I thought it was way better than what I was initially anticipating. The whole experience of the Calla was pretty nice and reminded of Wizard and Glass and Hambry where you genuinely learn about the characters and wondered what would happen to them. The main farmer naming his field "Son of a Bitch" stuck out to me.

I didn't like the big info dump about vampires and the Sombra Corporation, it was just a bit much and there were so many pieces of the story that you had to keep track of. I am sure it will come up again. Also, the fourth wall being broken near the end as the flip through Salem's Lot. Lol.

I am nearing the end, the next book is pretty short but the last is the largest of the series at 845 pages and seems daunting.

afroserty
Apr 22, 2010

0 rows returned posted:

Revival might be close enough to scratch the itch and it's really good.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh and The Running Man is good pulpy Dystopian sci-fi if that counts?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

afroserty posted:

Revival might be close enough to scratch the itch and it's really good.

Revival might be his bleakest work and I love it dearly.

Something happened!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Oh and The Running Man is good pulpy Dystopian sci-fi if that counts?

to this day i think the running man might be his for-real best book

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Revival might not feel like sci fi in the traditional sense initially but it’s certainly amazing.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm rereading Insomnia because it's been like 15 years, it was mentioned itt and I realised I don't really remember anything from it. Im about 120 pages in and enjoying it a lot.

Kinda funny when someone asks me what I'm reading: Oh, it's about this 70 year old guy that doesn't sleep well and it's one of the tensest books I've read in years. :v:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Two pages into "Thinner" and already a 14-year-old has the "sexy". Oh Richard...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1759786402940658146?s=20