Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
4ground is doing a summer sale; 20% off if you use the code SUM20. I'd recommend their 15mm stuff, haven't seen their 28mm. They have some modern, fantasy and steampunk stuff as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xenolalia posted:

Hey there, I want to buy some models to represent ZIPRA forces. I saw the link to the peter pig site but I was wondering about any other options?
You going with 15mm?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Wowshawk posted:

Yeah, had a bit of a brainfart there. Unfortunately it's 28mm according to the site! But nice paintjob, I tried to (badly) use it on my own models.

Really. It's the easiest paint job.
Three colours. Stripes and dots.
Super lazy.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
That's what I thought when I started painting again after x amount of years, but for the moment I can't seem to get a crisp result like that.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Getting such even coverage and crisp lines is only easy once you're good enough to do it consistently. Like walking and wiping your rear end, it is really tricky for people who haven't been doing it for years.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I don't try for crisp lines.
I use Vallejo and italeri paints and just paint it on. Then hit it with a an army painter strong tone wash. I dilute down my wash 1:1 with my brush water.

Researching ww2 paint jobs says most were done by the units with fencing brushes or even rags on sticks.
If it looks sloppy it's authentic.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

:discourse:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Lol, just lol, if you haven’t installed dimmers to discreetly hide the fact that you’re deploying one of your more badly painted armies.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

lilljonas posted:

Lol, just lol, if you haven’t installed dimmers to discreetly hide the fact that you’re deploying one of your more badly painted armies.
It's called cider.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It's called cider.

Currently reading a book on Napoleon’s march on Moscow. Witnesses say that they were so covered in dust during the summer that they couldn’t tell armies apart.

So just spray your army in a light mud colour and call it done.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

lilljonas posted:

Currently reading a book on Napoleon’s march on Moscow. Witnesses say that they were so covered in dust during the summer that they couldn’t tell armies apart.

So just spray your army in a light mud colour and call it done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nouLQZCXW4A

I just received the new Flames of War Enemy at the Gates/Cross of Iron books in the mail. I was pretty turned off by 4th Edition, but I may have to break out the Soviets/Germans for a game now.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

lilljonas posted:

:same:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Cessna posted:

I just received the new Flames of War Enemy at the Gates/Cross of Iron books in the mail. I was pretty turned off by 4th Edition, but I may have to break out the Soviets/Germans for a game now.

Yep, the store demo copy has been a surprisingly good read. The new fiction segments are a little bad, but, I don't think there's many games with amazing fiction.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
A book on camouflage I read said they used to cover their tanks in mud not paint it.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Yes, that was done. It wasn't common, but it happened:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

My Hot Tip for mud in 15mm is to use GW's Typhus Corrosion.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is it the correct shade of mud though?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I was actually really chuffed when I was in Paris to realise that the mud colour I used for my FoW Early War British was actually the right shade of brown for the area. Sheer luck.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

I was actually really chuffed when I was in Paris to realise that the mud colour I used for my FoW Early War British was actually the right shade of brown for the area. Sheer luck.

That would be 21st century mud. Have you accounted for the change in mud colour caused by climate change, air pollution, season, etc ?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Yeah, it might be the right mud for today, but is it the proper mud color for Paris in July of 1942?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Conveniently it probably was due to soil rotation.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/EnglishRussia1/status/1032631432513024000

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What color were Jerry Cans because grey doesnt look right

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

All of them

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
They were whatever color of paint the kleptocratic shitstorm that the Nazis called an economy had looted that week.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Probably whatever paint you want, but from olive-drab.com:

"British cans of WW II vintage will be painted with the khaki or tan sand color of British equipment while the German cans will be dark green or sand color. Water cans were sometimes painted with a white cross as an additional precaution against mixing."

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Finished a Panzer III for WaT and just got a new camera. Might as well combine the two

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Are there any good 28mm Streltsy? I'm considering a project to expand my ranges that way.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Fish and Chimps posted:

Finished a Panzer III for WaT and just got a new camera. Might as well combine the two

15mm?

Love the black lining. Are you using oil paint + white spirit for panel lines?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Commissar Kip posted:

15mm?

Love the black lining. Are you using oil paint + white spirit for panel lines?

Yes, it's 15mm Battlefront plastic. It's regular black wash for the surfaces and a brown pin wash for recesses.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
So I have 36 modern infantry soldiers in 28mm coming my way next week.

What good games can I play with them? I'm looking forward to getting them painted up but it'd be good to actually have something to do with them at the end.

Worst On Team
Aug 8, 2018

12 pints of liquid courage

Lupercalcalcal posted:

So I have 36 modern infantry soldiers in 28mm coming my way next week.

What good games can I play with them? I'm looking forward to getting them painted up but it'd be good to actually have something to do with them at the end.

Spectre Operations is outstanding for moderns at 28mm. The beta rules are still floating around on the internet, but the 1st edition is different enought that it's worth eventually picking up.

Also, depending on the models themselve, Skirmish Sangin which has a bit of crunch to it, is also pretty good.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Worst On Team posted:

Spectre Operations is outstanding for moderns at 28mm. The beta rules are still floating around on the internet, but the 1st edition is different enought that it's worth eventually picking up.

Also, depending on the models themselve, Skirmish Sangin which has a bit of crunch to it, is also pretty good.

Should have thought of Spectre. I'll grab a copy off Steve when I see him next.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
There's also Force on Force and No End in Sight.

I think Osprey also has a Black Ops book, possibly named Black Ops.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

JcDent posted:

There's also Force on Force and No End in Sight.

I think Osprey also has a Black Ops book, possibly named Black Ops.

Yep! Black Ops is cool, but it works better as a Metal Gear Solid simulator than as a traditional skirmish game, IMO. It has a lot of really fun solo rules that set it apart from the standard Force on Force style skirmish, and a bunch of support for stealth scenarios.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

So, with my copy of Enemy at the Gates safely in my hands, I can say I'm liking it. The full strelk option might actually get played! I'm unsure exactly why they didn't do greatcoat infantry, but I guess it's easier to have them pull double duty with summer infantry for Kursk and maybe do winter inf as a late war book or something.

The command cards are a mix of options that could've been in the book, interesting stuff, and stuff that makes me scratch my head. None of the cards seem amazing to the point where you'd be stupid not to take them, but I can see myself using the scout company or the NKVD battalion lists and tank riders might be interesting (I'd have to test them). Fresh From the Factory and Unstoppable seem fun. I don't get why Infantry Guns weren't in the book. Volley Fire seems kind of useless. Unkillable and Kill One More are, confusingly, the same card but one's KV only and one's T-34 only; why they didn't make some other card and just have one of those applicable to either I don't know.

The really baffling one is Blocking Detachment, where, if a unit fails a motivation check, you have to have the MG section with the card fire on it if it can, automatically passing firepower checks. Then roll a d6 and add it to the hits, and if you get 10 or more, you pass the check.

Bluntly, this is absolutely brutal and is liable to decimate units given an MG company has 6 dice, of which 2/3 will hit. With the big blobs of infantry with 4+ saves, this is a lot of dead guys, and with the hero company with even smaller platoon sizes it's even worse. It's 0 points and I question whether it's worth being that expensive. If it was "if you want" or if you could protect units from it, it might be worthwhile, but as it is it seems like it's just an excellent way to throw away a dozen stands. RAW, it also pins you, which puts you in a nice loop of getting shot to poo poo to unpin, then making you get shot to poo poo again. It's just bafflingly bad.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
What are cards in FoW? Is it some new FoW4 thing?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Phi230 posted:

any, just rub some mud on it.

Fish and Chimps posted:

nawww, cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

spectralent posted:

The command cards are a mix of options that could've been in the book,

I bought the book, but not the cards.

Am I to understand I don't have all of the lists or units available for my army?