Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Blakkout posted:

Finally got a call about a clerkship interview... for the Supreme Court of Montana. Is this what my life has come to?

Big Sky country!

Also, beef law.

(Where was that business card that was textured like meat from a few threads ago?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

HiddenReplaced posted:

So...yeah. Looks like I'm losing this motion.
A biglaw firm sends their client so much business? What?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lots of our clients get business from our other clients though us. And vice versa. Especially investment bankers, accounting firms, and wealth managers.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Linguica posted:

A biglaw firm sends their client so much business? What?

This happens a lot at my firm, mainly in the form of making introductions between clients.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

10-8 posted:

Yeah, this and the 2012 start date to lower IBR payments is a really :psyduck: policy.

"Hey, all you guys who already have student loans. gently caress you. We're only helping people who graduate next year and beyond." But... aren't the people who are already in repayment the ones who are defaulting on their loans? If you want to actually do something about student loans, it needs to be retrospective. As for the next generation, you know what a really good forward-looking policy would be? Stop telling kids to indenture themselves for 30 years to get an education.

So, does anyone know if this applies to consolidation loans made after the 2012 startup period? Is this tied to the last loan issued while enrolled, or the last federal loan issued (ie a Ford consolidation loan?)

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Blakkout posted:

Finally got a call about a clerkship interview... for the Supreme Court of Montana. Is this what my life has come to?
hope you're up to date on BIGBISONLAW

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Currently in Texas ambushing unwary jurors 17 years after the trial. Law school can be fun!

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Direwolf posted:

Currently in Texas ambushing unwary jurors 17 years after the trial. Law school can be fun!

So that's why you weren't at Bar Review. :(

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Anyone here know anyone at WilmerHale?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

patent office is hiring again if anyone is interested in playing video games all day working there

Thanks for the update! usajobs gogogo.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Erdricks posted:

Anyone here know anyone at WilmerHale?

My roommate in law school turned them down.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

MoFauxHawk posted:

So that's why you weren't at Bar Review. :(

EEeyup. Clinic is crazy sometimes, I'll be here until Sunday. Sad I'm missing Halloween, but I think it's good practice for missing holidays due to work in the future :toot:

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

tau posted:

My roommate in law school turned them down.

Any particular reason / office?

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Erdricks posted:

Any particular reason / office?

It came down to a choice between WH D.C. and Arnold & Porter D.C. He went with A&P because he felt it would put him in a better position career-wise.

He had nothing but good things to say about WH and the people there, but A&P won in the end.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

tau posted:

It came down to a choice between WH D.C. and Arnold & Porter D.C. He went with A&P because he felt it would put him in a better position career-wise.

He had nothing but good things to say about WH and the people there, but A&P won in the end.

The most insufferable student from my entire class went to A&P DC.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Arnold & Porter sounds like a chain steakhouse to me. I think it's because of Porter/Porterhouse. I hope you lawgoons find a way to use this information to give you a critical psychological edge during an interview.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Also Ice Miller sounds like a beer. I think it's because of the Miller and the Ice.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

prussian advisor posted:

Also Ice Miller sounds like a beer. I think it's because of the Miller and the Ice.
Opposing counsel in one of my cases is at Ice Miller. I can't take that name seriously no matter how many times I see it.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
WilmerHale let its temps have Internet Access, but A&P buys its temps lunch (at the Tenleytown office anyway).

That's all I got.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

WilmerHale reminds me of when I was an elementary school student, and thought that independently capitalizing the constituent parts of compound words was Awesome.

Childish word games and food are the best parts of legal practice. Naming your firms accordingly to lure in the naive is probably a pretty sound business strategy...

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Kase Im Licht posted:

WilmerHale let its temps have Internet Access, but A&P buys its temps lunch (at the Tenleytown office anyway).

That's all I got.

Tenleytown has a Chipotle so that's not bad. Ooh also that burger/shake place.

Edit: Also if any fat Texas retards chime in about Chipotle not being real burritos and tacos because they have cheese and stuff, just go away and quietly eat your own preferred kind of Americanized Mexican/Central American food while other people eat Chipotle because it tastes good.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 31, 2011

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

MoFauxHawk posted:

Tenleytown has a Chipotle so that's not bad. Ooh also that burger/shake place.

Edit: Also if any fat Texas retards chime in about Chipotle not being real burritos and tacos because they have cheese and stuff, just go away and quietly eat your own preferred kind of Americanized Mexican/Central American food while other people eat Chipotle because it tastes good.

Our Mexican food is authentic and made by Mexicans for Mexicans (sorta like fubu). :)

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/heartless-law-firm-mocked-foreclosure-victims-with-homeless-themed-halloween-party/
(This... from the Blaze. Never would have expected.)

Law firm employees are seen enjoying themselves at a law firm Halloween party, dressed as homeless people and mocking homeowners who had been foreclosed on. (New York Times)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MoFauxHawk posted:

It is tacos that don't have cheese.
Burritos as we know them in the US aren't Mexican at all (loosely related to a Northern Mexican burrito). The California Burrito being the highest form of art. Texas doesn't know burritos, they're too busy putting cheese on tacos and poo poo.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

Lemonus posted:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/heartless-law-firm-mocked-foreclosure-victims-with-homeless-themed-halloween-party/
(This... from the Blaze. Never would have expected.)

Law firm employees are seen enjoying themselves at a law firm Halloween party, dressed as homeless people and mocking homeowners who had been foreclosed on. (New York Times)

quote:

One of the top foreclosure law firms hosted a Halloween party where the theme was…homelessness. And there are photos.
Rule number one.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Solid Lizzie posted:

Rule number one.

For real.

On the subject of law firm names, I married my wife solely on the criteria that her last name and my last name would make a great law firm name. Now I just need to convince her to go to law school.

Also, I think it's bullshit that only lawyers can be partners of a law firm. If I wanted to have a super successful law firm, I'd hire a bunch of experienced and successful businessmen to run it for me. I feel like law firms should head-hunt CEOs from major businesses, force the CEOs through some accelerated, unaccredited California school, force them through the bar exam, and then put them in charge of the law firm.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

entris posted:

Also, I think it's bullshit that only lawyers can be partners of a law firm. If I wanted to have a super successful law firm, I'd hire a bunch of experienced and successful businessmen to run it for me. I feel like law firms should head-hunt CEOs from major businesses, force the CEOs through some accelerated, unaccredited California school, force them through the bar exam, and then put them in charge of the law firm.

This is why getting a JD/MBA is considered such a valuable investment by this thread and employers. ^_>^ JK

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

entris posted:

For real.

On the subject of law firm names, I married my wife solely on the criteria that her last name and my last name would make a great law firm name. Now I just need to convince her to go to law school.

This field already has a niche for overpaid twats who spend their days taking credit for the work of underlings. It's called academia.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

entris posted:

You'll never see law firms run like corporations because they are virtually entirely human capital, but it is a problem that lawyers are terrible businessmen and they really should stop kidding themselves and hire real businessmen at a fixed salary or something else legal to run and organize firms.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

evilweasel posted:

You'll never see law firms run like corporations because they are virtually entirely human capital, but it is a problem that lawyers are terrible businessmen and they really should stop kidding themselves and hire real businessmen at a fixed salary or something else legal to run and organize firms.

How would a corp. legal firm be any different from any other professional services corp? (accounting, architecture, brothel, etc.)

I think the larger issue is attorney client privilege and the legal duties owed to clients.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Roger_Mudd posted:

I think the larger issue is attorney client privilege and the legal duties owed to clients.

Yeah I think this is the issue, because any non-lawyer partner that you bring in to run the firm is going to be a general partner, with all of the duties owed that come with that.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Soothing Vapors posted:

hope you're up to date on BIGBISONLAW

Why can't you receive PMs?! I have something to discuss PRIVATELY with you.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

evilweasel posted:

There are a couple of firms that are trying to address that. At least two firms, that I know of, are making new first year associates do a one month compacted MBA program that was designed by the Harvard Business school. I don't think it is even close to enough, they need actual businessmen.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 31, 2011

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

mikeraskol posted:

There are a couple of firms that are trying to address that. At least two firms, that I know of, are making new first year associates do a one month compacted MBA program that was designed by the Harvard Business school. I don't think it is even close to enough, they need actual businessmen.

I don't think that's really an attempt to address the problems Mr. Weasel highlighted. That's just the firm trying to ensure their associates know how to make power points and read basic balance statements.

The problems we are discussing here are more endemic to the legal profession. You could actually send partners to HBS to get MBAs and I doubt it would have any real impact on the way most of them manage their business. What will happen, eventually, is some major firm, or possibly an upstart, will innovate in a way that translates to greater profit through improving business practices. Following that, the others will see that as a path to more money, and they will take it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HiddenReplaced posted:

Why can't you receive PMs?! I have something to discuss PRIVATELY with you.

all of my money goes to the federal government, the corner liquor store, and dudes willing to animate aaron rodgers shooting sparks out of his crotch

nothin' left for plat

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

HiddenReplaced posted:

I don't think that's really an attempt to address the problems Mr. Weasel highlighted. That's just the firm trying to ensure their associates know how to make power points and read basic balance statements.

The problems we are discussing here are more endemic to the legal profession. You could actually send partners to HBS to get MBAs and I doubt it would have any real impact on the way most of them manage their business. What will happen, eventually, is some major firm, or possibly an upstart, will innovate in a way that translates to greater profit through improving business practices. Following that, the others will see that as a path to more money, and they will take it.

I know at least one was aiming for both, or at least had ideas in that direction, which is stupid because it's woefully inadequate.

I hope there is some innovation dealing with the billable hour soon.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 31, 2011

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

mikeraskol posted:

I hope there is some innovation dealing with the billable hour soon.

Hopefully something besides capped/fixed fees, which translates to more work for less pay.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Roger_Mudd posted:

How would a corp. legal firm be any different from any other professional services corp? (accounting, architecture, brothel, etc.)

Those have similar problems, but my major point is that a law firm is basically a building, and human capital. Running ordinary corporations are about capital management, not really employee management. Dropping a business exec from IBM into Cravath isn't going to work at all. Other professional services corporation models have similar differences from what we think of as 'business'. You're never going to have a publicly traded law firm, for example, because a law firm has very little use for capital. All sorts of business stuff is useless.

A lot of firm decisions make sense when viewed that way that don't make sense ordinarally: the associate system is a very expensive way of mining for the best human capital.

The basic problem that a lot of firms seem to have is they've got no real managers. Nobody's a professional manager: not a single person in the firm has their job because they're good at managing people. They may have more managerial responsibilities because they're better at it than other partners, but they're there because of their legal skills and their legal skills are what got them their job, and the managing is a thing they do. I mean, I could be wring and that's actually a factor in making partner but it doesn't seem to be.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gret posted:

Hopefully something besides capped/fixed fees, which translates to more work for less pay.

What else is it going to be? You get paid a flat amount, or by the hour, or in the case of plaintiff attorneys "on commission" essentially. There's not really a ton of models for how to sell labor.

The problem with the billable hour seems to be mostly internal: that it gets paired with an (essentially) flat salary, and used as a benchmark of quality. This creates a bad internal incentive structure that's not terribly conducive to a good work enviroment.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Be honest, guys, how many of you pretended to be real lawyers for Halloween today? I'll bet you are wearing the cutest attorney costume.