Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The dumbest confederate flag image is the first Goatsnake album where it's on a Viking ship or something. They're from LA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Helluva posted:

Earth (Dylan Carlson) had a t-shirt with a wolf and the Confederate flag. They quickly pulled it but it was manufactured. The art was done. I checked again if there was anything suspicious and here we are folks.

https://drcarlson.bandcamp.com/album/gold

Something about being white. The man is openly racist. Check his new girlfriend and what she does. And tell me the guy is not racist.

What the gently caress are you talking about

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Helluva posted:

Check his new girlfriend and what she does.

Maybe just post

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about

You have this band. You want T-shirts made so people can wear them. You're going to want some artwork for this.

"Hey we want you to draw a wolf." "Yeah, the confederate flag on the back as well."

T-shirts get made, HEAVY feedback on Facebook and they pull it immediately.

So what is he up to these days? Romanticizing violent colonization and genocide?

His wife is a belly dancer from the U.K. Pretty exotic. Maybe he should have her as the album cover.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You tell us. I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about. Are you high??

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

You tell us. I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about. Are you high??

I ordered this very cool wolf head t-shirt back in 2011-2012 from Earth and didn't realize there was a Confederate flag behind the wolf's head. They made a refund and pulled the t-shirt from the store.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That's the one part that nobody here is confused by

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

That's the one part that nobody here is confused by

Well then goes on and marries a "belly dancer", which most whites find exotic. Then he made an album named "Conquistador" with his wife's profile on the album cover.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Helluva posted:

Well then goes on and marries a "belly dancer", which most whites find exotic. Then he made an album named "Conquistador" with his wife's profile on the album cover.

????????????

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Helluva posted:

You have this band. You want T-shirts made so people can wear them. You're going to want some artwork for this.

"Hey we want you to draw a wolf." "Yeah, the confederate flag on the back as well."

T-shirts get made, HEAVY feedback on Facebook and they pull it immediately.

So what is he up to these days? Romanticizing violent colonization and genocide?

His wife is a belly dancer from the U.K. Pretty exotic. Maybe he should have her as the album cover.

The only part of this I understood is that you claim either Earth or Dylan Carlson made some questionable shirts and recalled them when it was made clear to them they were bad. Assuming that's true, I'm not sure what you would have wanted them to do at that point? Keeping selling them seems obviously wrong.

I did some quick searches and can't find anything about this. I'm not on Facebook, but I do follow Earth on bandcamp and haven't seen any new merch from them recently. I don't believe either Earth or Carlson are currently on tour, nor am I aware of upcoming releases.

What I did find when looking was that Carlson donated a guitar and amp head toward a Black Lives Matter fundraiser run by Sargent House, and actively promoted this on facebook in 2020.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

I was trying not to disrespect your intelligence. I just think she is a trophy person.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What a bizarre thing to say about a person. I think you're a weirdo

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

What a bizarre thing to say about a person. I think you're a weirdo

I am a weirdo. I met him personally and he was a very wholesome person, very down to Earth. I still think there is something problematic about it though.

Visions of Valerie posted:

The only part of this I understood is that you claim either Earth or Dylan Carlson made some questionable shirts and recalled them when it was made clear to them they were bad. Assuming that's true, I'm not sure what you would have wanted them to do at that point? Keeping selling them seems obviously wrong.

I did some quick searches and can't find anything about this. I'm not on Facebook, but I do follow Earth on bandcamp and haven't seen any new merch from them recently. I don't believe either Earth or Carlson are currently on tour, nor am I aware of upcoming releases.

What I did find when looking was that Carlson donated a guitar and amp head toward a Black Lives Matter fundraiser run by Sargent House, and actively promoted this on facebook in 2020.

Maybe he wanted to rectify something?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Zoben posted:

So only the first album grabbed ya? I'm just wondering. I think that their pre-CFH catalog is nothing to be ashamed of, it's pure stupid ridiculous glam party fun. Power Metal is actually very CFH-like and some of the songs would have worked on CFH. Dime shredded like hell on every album, so if you're a fan of solos it was good stuff. I like riffs more than solos but Dime had those covered as well.

It sucks that it became problematic to enjoy Pantera and Down after Phil did all of his stupid poo poo. I grew up listening to those bands and it's been tainted a bit. Like Neurosis. Goddamn was that a letdown. I don't know what to think now when I want to vibe out to the end of "Stones in the Sky" which is the most beautiful heavy drone.

Yes but im def a huge glam metal guy and not much into the traditional Pantera sound, so it was glam+dime solos=good stuff

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...
e: nm

Visions of Valerie fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 13, 2024

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I have an Earth shirt that rules and is not racist, thanks for listening

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Visions of Valerie posted:

So your contention is that Carlson wanted to make up for supposed past mistakes, and this is bad somehow?

It's not bad at all, I still listen to his stuff. I just wanted to add stuff to Phil talk.

Sorry for the unnecessary diversion.

Helluva fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 13, 2024

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

My wife did some bellydancing classes with her girlfriends, am I racist now? :ohdear:

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

My wife did some bellydancing classes with her girlfriends, am I racist now? :ohdear:

That's not what I said. Same thing with the Swastika and the Rising Sun flag. You can't plead ignorance about it as a grown rear end person. You may like it aesthetically but it entails so many horrible stories.

Same thing with conquistadors. I get the romantic appeal, but what it means for so many people is a reason enough to stop fetishizing it. You're speaking as if conquistadors brought joy and health to the indigenous people of the Americas.

Helluva fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 13, 2024

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This has gone in a really weird direction. Let's put it to bed unless something more explicit comes out about Carlson/Earth.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

This has gone in a really weird direction. Let's put it to bed unless something more explicit comes out about Carlson/Earth.

I'll scout for the image later, meanwhile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3OX7xw4nRg

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Helluva posted:

You can't plead ignorance about it as a grown rear end person. You may like it aesthetically but it entails so many horrible stories.

You're speaking as if conquistadors brought joy and health to the indigenous people of the Americas.
No, gently caress off with this, nobody here has made these claims. You, however, are making some very specific claims supported by a bulletin board full of red yarn.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

No, gently caress off with this, nobody here has made these claims. You, however, are making some very specific claims supported by a bulletin board full of red yarn.

Yes, I should've found the picture first. Sorry for that.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
This is a bizarre set of vague accusations, I'm really not even sure what you're claiming about Carlson. I found an interview with him about Conquistador, if he's a committed white supremacist I'm struggling to see it.

https://sargenthouse.com/blogs/earth-news/posts/5229559/interview-with-dylan-carlson-new-noise-magazine

quote:

But yeah, the thematic content is more to do more with American stuff like the West, and it’s like Hex… in that it’s like a soundtrack to an imaginary film in certain ways. So, I guess you could say, thematically, it’s like a branch of the Hex… side of things: the interest in what’s now the Western United States—what was, at one point, Mexico and, before that, was native—but I guess that’s how they’re all tied together. At least in my head.

quote:

I mean, it’s not based on any specific text. The idea was left over in my head from when I was a kid in middle school. I lived in Texas, and we had Texas history classes. There was this conquistador who had a Moorish companion called Esteban traveling in what was then Northern Mexico. They basically got lost for 20 years and, then, made it back to what’s now Texas and the Gulf of Mexico. I think they got as far as what’s now Utah and ended up being sold into slavery by one tribe and escaping that and living with other tribes. Things didn’t go as planned, I guess you could say.

quote:

The oldest history of the country and the landscape has been destroyed and lost and has to be discovered in different ways. There was a concerted effort to eradicate the native population, and then, the ones they couldn’t eradicate, to eradicate their languages and histories, and that has left the landscape wide open to a lot of interpretations. Then, the history that is there—obviously, because it’s written by the so-called winners—it doesn’t go back very far in some places. I mean, it does, really, but again, a lot of that is closed to the traditional methods of investigation: there’s no books and no maps.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

This is a bizarre set of vague accusations, I'm really not even sure what you're claiming about Carlson. I found an interview with him about Conquistador, if he's a committed white supremacist I'm struggling to see it.

https://sargenthouse.com/blogs/earth-news/posts/5229559/interview-with-dylan-carlson-new-noise-magazine

Excuse me for being vague. This event took place circa their "Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light" tour. I can't find much information about it.

I wouldn't call him a white supremacist. Maybe he took it down when he saw it. I'm just trying to discuss whether fashioning the Confederate battle flag is racist enough to dismiss the person. (Not from the Anglosphere, I don't actually know how offensive it actually is.)

OK.

Phil Anselmo says it's regional pride. Should we buy this as well? Anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1YwoFCYFLs

Helluva fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 14, 2024

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I was ready to give Dylan the benefit of the doubt until I heard he married a bellydancer, now he’s on my poo poo list.

Until I marry a belly dancer it isn’t ok for anyone else to marry one :colbert:

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Snowy posted:

I was ready to give Dylan the benefit of the doubt until I heard he married a bellydancer, now he’s on my poo poo list.

I deserve the jokes, fair and square. Belly dancing is VERY common where I live, it is not exotic for me. I understand now how my argumentation reads :dafuq:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Stoner/doom/sludge: is it racist to marry a belly dancer?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Belly dancing to me seems about as exotic as going for an Indian takeaway. I do enjoy the occasional lamb rogan josh with a ridiculously oversized naan, cancel me if you must.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Same reasons a lot of people do, I think. Confederate flag poo poo aside, they’re kind of the poster children for performative macho bullshit in metal, done in complete earnestness without any sort of camp or charm to them. Really cheesy but not endearingly so. Just a rancid vibes band. Groove metal is also one of the worst subgenres. All of the bands most obviously inspired by them are terrible, as are all of the 80s thrash bands’ attempts to transition to groove because of Pantera’s success (I will give them that they are much better than their imitators).

They’re probably the only band I ever really did a 180 on. Was blown away by them when I was 13 and rolling my eyes at them by the time I was 15. Honestly these days I listen to so much thunderously stupid heavy poo poo that I would probably actually enjoy most of CFH or Vulgar Display if I gave it an honest listen (like, are they really any dumber than something like God’s Hate or do they just have worse politics?), but there’s too much stuff competing for my attention to bother with making an effort to reconnect with Pantera. The weird zombie version that’s opening for Metallica will be an interesting curiosity.

Walk will always be the stupidest song I’ve heard in my loving life.

I appreciate your well stated answer, and I can certainly see some of your points.

"but there’s too much stuff competing for my attention to bother with making an effort to reconnect with Pantera"

This is 100% correct. It's been quite a while since I've sat down and listened to bands I loved two decades ago when there is so much awesome stuff available for music fans than ever before. Most, if not all of the people I know are so stuck in what they grew up listening to have not moved forward in finding new and more exciting music. That just blows my mind.

Sharing new music I discover with friends, family, or acquaintances? That ain't happening.

Whoops. I'll take the blame for this mess. :dumb:

Nit Wit Dog Shit fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 14, 2024

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I’m looking forward to the new Down and just hope they swing by NYC on the next tour.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Going to learn how to belly dance to Sunn.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bellydancing discourse in the sludge thread lmao

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

every time this thread has 50 new posts in a weekend I think someone from sabbath died

I think dylan is divorced from the belly dancer now anyway

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ingmar terdman posted:

I think dylan is divorced from the belly dancer now anyway

The healing has begun

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Ingmar terdman posted:

every time this thread has 50 new posts in a weekend I think someone from sabbath died

Haha! Same.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Coughs Still They Pray is just so loving good. It really is peak doom metal. It just never gets old.

(Sorta biased cause I met my wife at a Cough show.)

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Helluva posted:

OH poo poo NEW EATH ALBUM?????????

Edit: read the rest and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 15, 2024

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Eat The Rich posted:

Coughs Still They Pray is just so loving good. It really is peak doom metal. It just never gets old.

(Sorta biased cause I met my wife at a Cough show.)

Did that band just silently go away? I full subscribe to this opinion. It's just so drat bleak and dank. I love it, but also sad that they just faded into oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snowy posted:

she seems pretty cool https://beautyandstyleedit.com/holl...0her%20passion.

quote:

What are you listening to at the moment?
I’m always listening to a lot of old music and making little playlists. Alice Coltrane and Heart are always on regular rotation. I haven’t really been inspired by much of what’s currently being celebrated as good music at the moment, so I’m always just listening to my old heavy metal albums. In terms of ‘newer’ artists I love Sevdaliza and Oranssi Pazuzu.

quote:

You’re hosting a dinner party, who is on the guest list and what would be on the menu?
It would be equal parts feral, glamour and artsy weirdness. Vali Myers, Ru Paul, Dolly Parton, Thea Porter, Elizabeth Taylor, Alejandro Jodorowsky, Anais Nin, Marjorie Cameron (though maybe the two of them would fight?), Sofia Coppola, Cosey Fanni Tutti, Bruce Lee, Rachel Brice, Mardi Love, with my husband Dylan as my co-host. I’m not sure what we’d eat…some kind of veggie feast. Middle Eastern food makes me really happy so let’s say that, but then there’d also be an array of deserts from all over the place, including a saffron tres leches cake and a cherry crumble with custard.