Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I was a bit hopeful for FF13-3 but I think I'm less hopeful for it just reading what people are saying now (Never played 13-2).

Still holding out hope for 15 :v:

Call me crazy but it's the opposite for me. I'm actually kinda looking forward to LR. I've always enjoyed FF games that came later in the generation when SE got settled in with their technology and could concentrate on creative game design, such as FF6/FF9/FF12 (could be just Hiroyuki Ito's involement).

This Taiwanese article mentions that development for LF:FFXIII is going a lot more smoothly than FFXIII/FFXIII-2 and they pulled off things in the game they couldn't before. I don't know how true it is but the game looks to be trying a lot of new things. It has only one playable character and has moved farther away from FFXIII's traditional FF design than even FFXIII-2.

I always felt that FFXIII-2 was a hastily designed mishmash of the things people liked in FFXIII, trending gameplay elements in WRPGs, and had several rounds of heavy focus testing. For example, the lyrics to the song, Invisible Invader, had its lyrics removed from North American/PSN demos and the final release. They were available in the e3 demo which they probably used asa focus test. Ironically, the finished product came off as unfocused and paralyzed from a fear of failure.

I don't plan on getting LR at full price but I'm interested in what they can do with the game. The Toriyama-Lightning love affair aside, it reminds me of the experimental games they did during the SNES-PS1 era. It also reminds me of a Valkyrie Profile game which is funny considering that Tri-Ace are possibly programming grunts for LR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

SSNeoman posted:

That's...okay yeah that's true.
I just hope that her role isn't as bad as it was in XIII-2. I mean she was completely auxiliary to the plot. If she was removed from the game, the only thing that would happen is that Caius' motivation would become the same as all other Final Fantasy last bosses.
But, fine you guys are right. Hell who knows. Maybe SE will surprise me.

Let's not go crazy now. I have without a doubt in my mind that the plot for this game will be just as terrible as the other two, so having characters like Yuel and Caius really changes nothing.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I have no idea what the story of ff13 was even though I finished it, and even less on what ff13-2 was about. I'm going into ff-13-3 blind and I'm probably going to come out of it blind. As long as the gameplay is fun I can ignore the terrible story.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Do they constantly mention boiled leather, rushes, and go in to painstaking detail about food as well?

Well there's fifty levels of culinarian...

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I've been playing FF13, about 14 hours in currently, and I'm surprisingly not hating it. I haven't played an FF since 8, and I think 13's biggest offender is that it's just boring. Combat seems so passive, which is dissonant from how it actually looks - it's so exciting to look at but the input it requires from the player is next to nothing. So far, all the fights I've had have been easily won by switching between a damage/chain focused paradigm to a medic paradigm, and that's about it. As a fan of Shin Megami Tensei games, I think this older school style of JRPG combat just doesn't work for me.

At least the game is insanely pretty at times. Unfortunately, the map design doesn't do the visuals any favors. I cannot believe they tried to apply Call of Duty level design to a JRPG; it's ridiculous to the point of parody. Literally every map is a hallway. Sometimes it turns, sometimes it goes up or down, or whatever... the game is hallways, fights, cutscene, boss, switch characters, repeat. Even the chrystarium system is a hallway in level up form. No exploration, no sense of place, no towns. It's weird! But for some reason I keep playing because I want to see where this batshit crazy story goes and I kind of like Snow, Lightning, and Sazh. Hope is annoying as hell. The music is fantastic too, but the lack of a traditional FF victory song at the end of battles is an omission I cannot forgive.

I know most of what I said has been endlessly harped on in this Thread About The Worst Games, but I wanted to add my two cents. I'm not even sure why I'm playing beyond "Hey, Lightning Returns might be pretty good!" but for now my plan is to at least play through 13 and 13-2. At some point I might even try to go back and play 9, 10, and 12, or even just finish 7 and 8. My whole enjoyment of FF games rests purely on my opinion that 4 was pretty good and 6 is great, but of course we'll never get FF6-2 or even a 3D remake.

But yeah man, FF13 is loving weird.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

The Machine posted:

At least the game is insanely pretty at times. Unfortunately, the map design doesn't do the visuals any favors. I cannot believe they tried to apply Call of Duty level design to a JRPG; it's ridiculous to the point of parody. Literally every map is a hallway. Sometimes it turns, sometimes it goes up or down, or whatever... the game is hallways, fights, cutscene, boss, switch characters, repeat. Even the chrystarium system is a hallway in level up form. No exploration, no sense of place, no towns. It's weird! But for some reason I keep playing because I want to see where this batshit crazy story goes and I kind of like Snow, Lightning, and Sazh. Hope is annoying as hell. The music is fantastic too, but the lack of a traditional FF victory song at the end of battles is an omission I cannot forgive.

The funniest thing about this is, Square themselves said FFXIII is closer to a FPS than a WRPG when they complained about Western audiences not liking their game. They really are off their rocker when it comes to this game.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Coughing Hobo posted:

As long as there's enough for me to never have to wear the terrible ones.

This one really emphasized how creepily bizarre Lightning's proportions are.

Part of me hopes that they're trying to use heroic or idealized proportions for her instead of it being shoddy character design but...I'mma lean towards it being the latter. Her head is huge and her waist is really short.

edit:

Azure_Horizon posted:

GRRM is a fantastic writer so I think they made a good choice.

I've been reading ASoIaF for years but come on, friend. Let's not say things we can't take back.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 15, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Since I'm literally in the middle of replaying FFXIII I'd thought I'd throw my two-cents in here discussing the games faults. I have to say, one change in structure probably would have made the game a lot more fun; introduce the hunts much much earlier. Probably the smartest thing to do would have been to introduce a hub-area you could teleport from any save point to which dishes out the hunts. After beating Barthandalus you give players the ability to teleport to previous places and let them enjoy your little hunt system. It wouldn't fix the crystarium or the fact that the games core mechanics aren't fully realized but it would allow players to have diversions and not feel so constrained to hallways 24/7.

And other than a total re-write nothing is gonna fix the plot.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
He's not your friend, buddy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The Machine posted:

But yeah man, FF13 is loving weird.

If you like the potential of the battle system, the good news is that it eventually actually becomes rather strategic and in-depth, just not until near the end of the game, and even then it only really matters if you want to do sidequests and end-game stuff. 13-2 does a better job of making the gameplay more immersive and fun from the beginning, but it can also be unbalanced toward the easy side.

While the battle system's not my cup of tea, I appreciate SE trying something different and unique, and while 13 can be pretty dull at times, it also has some of the best balance in the series simply because of its insane linearity, so at least most of the boss battles are pretty fun, even if random encounters are usually a slog.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Vanderdeath posted:

Part of me hopes that they're trying to use heroic or idealized proportions for her instead of it being shoddy character design but...I'mma lean towards it being the latter. Her head is huge and her waist is really short.

edit:

I've been reading ASoIaF for years but come on, friend. Let's not say things we can't take back.

He is a great writer and a huge inspiration for the general fantasy genre at the moment.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 16, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Jesus gently caress read a real book.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Azure_Horizon posted:

He is a great writer and a huge inspiration of my own writing
Hopefully he's not your inspiration when it comes to actually finishing something.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Azure_Horizon posted:

He is a great writer and a huge inspiration of my own writing and the general fantasy genre at the moment.

The puzzle pieces are falling into place :psyduck:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mr. Maltose posted:

Jesus gently caress read a real book.

Thankfully I have! Re-reading Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut right now.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If your "No, see, I've read great literature with my trash" book is Timequake, take your dick out of the game machine and read something other than genre fiction. God drat, son.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mr. Maltose posted:

If your "No, see, I've read great literature with my trash" book is Timequake, take your dick out of the game machine and read something other than genre fiction. God drat, son.

Timequake isn't genre fiction. It's a slightly-fantastical autobiography of his life, and it's his best work. So you know nothing, as usual.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Thanks for the Wikipedia summary. Allow me to restate for better accuracy: If the book you pull out as a counter to your bad reading habits is Timequake, you're doing a bad job countering.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Playing FF games should inspire you to read real literature.

Like the Epic of Gilgamesh. :colbert:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mr. Maltose posted:

Thanks for the Wikipedia summary.

You're welcome; the actual summary is several paragraphs long but I felt that would be too much reading for you to understand.

And no, I think it's a fantastic counter, because it's a great novel from one of the best writers of the 20th century.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Vonnegut isn't among the greatest writers of the 20th century, I'm sorry. It's just not true. I'm glad you like him though!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mr. Maltose posted:

Vonnegut isn't among the greatest writers of the 20th century, I'm sorry. It's just not true. I'm glad you like him though!

Pretty much everyone else who ever read him disagrees with you, I'm sorry. Well, not sorry at all actually.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

motomu toriyama is among the greatest writers in the 21st century

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I know bagging on Azure Horizon is the thread pastime and all, but criticizing him for liking ASOIAF and Vonnegut in the Final Fantasy thread of all places is a little much.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Mazed posted:

When I first found out that Gilgamesh was a Mesopotamian king who was two-thirds god and one-third man, as opposed to a comically bumbling eight-armed samurai, I was somewhat disappointed. But then again, I was not the smartest of fifteen-year-olds, so. :v:

Mr. Maltose posted:

He is too.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Man he isn't even in the top 20 but everyone's right and this is not the thread for it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mazed posted:

It inspired me as a teenager to pick up Tale of the Genji.

:smith:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Name your favorite piece of literature half-mentioned in a Final Fantasy game.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

^Loveless

Hedera Helix posted:

When I first found out that Gilgamesh was a Mesopotamian king who was two-thirds god and one-third man, as opposed to a comically bumbling eight-armed samurai, I was somewhat disappointed. But then again, I was not the smartest of fifteen-year-olds, so. :v:

Word is, like half the stone tablets on which the original legend was engraved are missing.

Truth is, they're not missing. They're stored in a bunker beneath the Square-Enix headquarters, and the narrative is being slowly brought to light under the clever guise of a video game mid-boss's cameos.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Twelfth Night :v:

e: and I mean I'm not saying this to look smart, I like Twelfth Night for the same reason everyone else in its era liked it: dick jokes, and fat people sitting around getting crunk and talking poo poo

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 16, 2013

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Blade Runner.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Honestly, FF9 means that the entirety of Elizabethan theatre is fair game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

The Count of Monte Cristo

(minor reference in FF5, kind of)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mr. Maltose posted:

Honestly, FF9 means that the entirety of Elizabethan theatre is fair game.

Which, like final fantasy, is 90% garbage :colbert:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Which, like final fantasy, is 90% garbage :colbert:

Final Fantasy Megathread: Every English Play is the Worst in History.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Schwartzcough posted:

Final Fantasy Megathread: Every English Play is the Worst in History.

This thread goes some very weird places.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

I'd say The Tangled Skein by Baroness Orcyz which was her follow up to The Scarlet Pimpernel.

Who am I kidding its Devo: Freedom of Choice

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Romeo and Juliet is right up there with the worst of jRPG protag whininess and angsting.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pureauthor posted:

Romeo and Juliet is right up there with the worst of jRPG protag whininess and angsting.

Couple of idiot teens wanna hump each other then die via their own stupidity. Yup, sounds like a FF plot line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
All The Bravest is now free on Android/iOS, but you still have to pay for extra, randomized characters.

I mean, if you felt like your phone's touchscreen needed some cleaning today, it's at least an interactive way of doing that.