Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

To be fair, the original Men of Iron have shown up in one book and they were goddamn horrifying. I'd have no trouble with the idea of an AI daemon prince.

It was kind of funny to me seeing Abnett going with Screamers instead of the obvious inspiration. :v:

Azubah posted:

There was a short story in Let the Galaxy Burn that implied that some of the iron men survived as head implants, not full bodies.

So, like Cybrids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I have to admit - I did a lol while reading Fabius Bile: Primogenitor.

It was a conversation early in the book, when one of the apothecaries is walking with his buddy/rival. He sees the sword the other guy is carrying, and says something like "That sword is worthy of a mighty warrior. What are you doing with it?"

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Hello BL Thread.

Are there any Age of Sigmar novels worth reading?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
no

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
I wonder if now that the 40k story line is going forwards if ADB will be allowed to write stuff past that point in his own novels

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Endman posted:

Hello BL Thread.

Are there any Age of Sigmar novels worth reading?

City of Secrets is pretty good, the Sylvaneth and Pestillens short story collections are alright as well. There's a new series called Eight Lamentations coming out soon that sounds pretty promising for some more WHFB flavoured 'Ham.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, after years of poking and prodding and getting distracted, I finally managed to sit down with a full length Abnett Warhammer novel and just read through. Blood Pact, which I know is a bit late in the Gaunt series, but it was just there on the library shelf, figured I might as well get some literary education.

It was, as promised, good.

Definitely seeing if the library's got Eisenhorn. Seems the proper thing to do.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I started reading that Carcharodons book and having just finished Carrion Throne, which was good, it is one hell of a contrast. The prose is awkward and sounds like a product catalogue. The characterisation is pretty poo poo so far as well. There is an Arbitrator who acts, and is treated, like a teenager on Work Experience.
My word what a stinker.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Well, isn't she kind of exactly that? The author made a point to say all she'd done up until that assignment was simulations and classroom exercises.

Totally agree with the rest- the characterization of the marines was absolute crap, the captain and librarian were especially heinous.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Just finished Eisenhorn, now picked up Ravenor. I felt that the ending was a bit too rushed. But i guess that is typical for Abnett from what i have read here.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Immanentized posted:

Well, isn't she kind of exactly that? The author made a point to say all she'd done up until that assignment was simulations and classroom exercises.

Totally agree with the rest- the characterization of the marines was absolute crap, the captain and librarian were especially heinous.

No, not really. Or at least, she shouldn't be. The Arbites are the jackbooted thugs of the Imperium. Ideologically pure and rigorously trained/indoctrinated. She starts the book like a pupil not paying attention in class, and then gets treated almost like a secretary in Mad Men. It just doesn't jive with what she is meant to be and how she would have got to where she was. Contrast to Shira Calpurnia.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

No, not really. Or at least, she shouldn't be. The Arbites are the jackbooted thugs of the Imperium. Ideologically pure and rigorously trained/indoctrinated. She starts the book like a pupil not paying attention in class, and then gets treated almost like a secretary in Mad Men. It just doesn't jive with what she is meant to be and how she would have got to where she was. Contrast to Shira Calpurnia.

How she got to where she was, was getting posted to that prison world directly out of the schola progenium with zero practical experience. The other arbitrators were being jerks about it, but that's the fact of the matter,

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

So, after years of poking and prodding and getting distracted, I finally managed to sit down with a full length Abnett Warhammer novel and just read through. Blood Pact, which I know is a bit late in the Gaunt series, but it was just there on the library shelf, figured I might as well get some literary education.

It was, as promised, good.

Definitely seeing if the library's got Eisenhorn. Seems the proper thing to do.

One of us one of us

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

mllaneza posted:

How she got to where she was, was getting posted to that prison world directly out of the schola progenium with zero practical experience. The other arbitrators were being jerks about it, but that's the fact of the matter,

And by graduation the Schola Progenium has more in common with HMS Lympstone than it does Bayside High. By all means, you can have people being dicks to the new arrival, but as written it is just so... tonally inappropriate to the setting.

To be frank, I rather suspect more thought has gone into the character on this page than the entire process of writing the book.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

And by graduation the Schola Progenium has more in common with HMS Lympstone than it does Bayside High. By all means, you can have people being dicks to the new arrival, but as written it is just so... tonally inappropriate to the setting.

To be frank, I rather suspect more thought has gone into the character on this page than the entire process of writing the book.

Galactic Common core is a hellavua thing.
Mail in a vote of "No" to your local Schola and report yourself for sedition to your nearest ministorum office.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
How do you gently caress up a book about power armored Mauri warriors with shark shaped power claws sailing through space looking for poo poo to wreck like sharks following the scent of blood in water?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Primarily? By having no skill or sophistication as an author of fiction.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Your instincts are pretty accurate. And I suggest just quitting the book now. You will not feel any joy for sticking with it the further you delve. And the end is infuriating.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Carcharadons is Blue Balls: The Book.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Counterpoint: it's cool as hell

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Space sharkkkkks space sharkkkkkkkkksss
Sharks on space, oh sharks in space
How do you gently caress up sharks in space
Space sharks space sharks with lasers snd poo poo
Space sharks oh yeaaaa space sharkkkksss
Space sharkkkkkkkkkkkkkkssssss

*hails satan*

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Your instincts are pretty accurate. And I suggest just quitting the book now. You will not feel any joy for sticking with it the further you delve. And the end is infuriating.

I think I'll take your advice. I can enjoy reading trash, but not incompetently crafted trash is utterly joyless.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Biplane posted:

Counterpoint: it's cool as hell

Please elaborate. From my experience it sucks.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Man, I've been into 40k lore since before 2nd edition and I've always considered myself pretty knowledgeable of the universe despite a large gap during all the star child nonsense. But after the Men of Iron chat earlier I started browsing Lexicanum to catch up and realised I'd never even heard of the Men of Stone.

What is it with GW dropping random poo poo in to pick up on years later? Like how Space Crusade (gateway drug game) had "Androids" that would later become Necrons?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I started reading that Carcharodons book and having just finished Carrion Throne, which was good, it is one hell of a contrast. The prose is awkward and sounds like a product catalogue. The characterisation is pretty poo poo so far as well. There is an Arbitrator who acts, and is treated, like a teenager on Work Experience.
My word what a stinker.

Arbitrators being hated the Imperium over is my favorite part about them. Oh no, we're not cops, we're the secret police that keep everyone loyal. An entire galactic caste of Judge Dredds. Shia Calpurnia and the utter bullshit that is the ending of book two/start of book three is basically my go-to example for how the Imperium's justice works when people who are new to Rogue Trader ask.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Arbitrators being hated the Imperium over is my favorite part about them. Oh no, we're not cops, we're the secret police that keep everyone loyal. An entire galactic caste of Judge Dredds. Shia Calpurnia and the utter bullshit that is the ending of book two/start of book three is basically my go-to example for how the Imperium's justice works when people who are new to Rogue Trader ask.

Except they're not the secret police. That's the Inquisition.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

No, the Inquisition is the secret secret police.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Arbites are the open secret police

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The Arbites are the SA, the Inquisition are the Gestapo.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

It's Inquisitors all the way down.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The Arbites are cops. Horrible, oppressive and trigger happy cops, but cops.

Read Ravenor - there's some great stuff about Arbites being annoyed at how they only get second rate cogitators to do their paperwork

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Lead Psychiatry posted:

The Interrogator framing sequences didn't help. The whole thing kinda worked, lots of action but all involving characters who only kind of sold the setup. But any setup where you have space shark space marines fighting loving Night Lords and it doesn't turn out awesome is a waste.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Endman posted:

The Arbites are cops. Horrible, oppressive and trigger happy cops, but cops.

Read Ravenor - there's some great stuff about Arbites being annoyed at how they only get second rate cogitators to do their paperwork

I just started Ravenor, enjoying it so far. Does Eisenhorn play a role in this trilogy, or just cameos?

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

mllaneza posted:

The Interrogator framing sequences didn't help. The whole thing kinda worked, lots of action but all involving characters who only kind of sold the setup. But any setup where you have space shark space marines fighting loving Night Lords and it doesn't turn out awesome is a waste.

I can't even remember most of the fighting. There was a tank in a tunnel and some ninja flying slashing attack , and that's where my memory ends. A tank. In a tunnel. Woo. Maybe would've worked if it had a rear guard instead of being blown up in less than three paragraphs. But whatever.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

rocket_man38 posted:

I just started Ravenor, enjoying it so far. Does Eisenhorn play a role in this trilogy, or just cameos?
He appears in one of the short stories in the Ravenor omnibus, but that's it from what I remember.

Abnett has a Ravenor vs Eisenhorn trilogy in the works as well, in which Eisenhorn plays a pretty major role. He has written one book so far (Pariah) with the rest nowhere to be seen, unfortunately. You'll probably want to finish the Ravenor books (and Eisenhorn if you haven't) before getting started on it, assuming picking up a trilogy that most likely won't be finished for years to come is something you want to do at all.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Lead Psychiatry posted:

I can't even remember most of the fighting. There was a tank in a tunnel and some ninja flying slashing attack , and that's where my memory ends. A tank. In a tunnel. Woo. Maybe would've worked if it had a rear guard instead of being blown up in less than three paragraphs. But whatever.

Still, I'll check out the next novel that author writes. It fell short, but he tried. If the next novel falls short I'll start getting salty.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

He's responsible for the Legacy of Russ series. But I haven't touched those so can't comment. And as much as I like Goodreads, I generally distrust the ratings on there.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Cythereal posted:

To be fair, the original Men of Iron have shown up in one book and they were goddamn horrifying. I'd have no trouble with the idea of an AI daemon prince.

That could be a really good take on a Chaos Tau faction, actually. It's not the Tau turning to Chaos, but the very technology they rely on so much.

Which book was this?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
e: totally off

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 27, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Which book was this?

It's one of the Horus Heresy audio dramas, Perpetual I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Cythereal posted:

It's one of the Horus Heresy audio dramas, Perpetual I think.

thanks, I'll check it out.