Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

My review of Nevsky is that I assume it will be good if I ever figure out how to get an army across the map without it starving to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Didn't I read somewhere here long ago that there was a coin being developed re the crusades? Anyone know what happened to this?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Trolling Thunder posted:

Didn't I read somewhere here long ago that there was a coin being developed re the crusades? Anyone know what happened to this?

are you sure you weren't confusing it with the planned Levy and Campaign Series Crusade game?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

tomdidiot posted:

are you sure you weren't confusing it with the planned Levy and Campaign Series Crusade game?

I'm confusing it with something for sure. I thought it came up during a discussion of the various coins in development, but a search didn't turn anything up. This was probably 4+ years ago.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I've played Nevsky solo once and enjoyed it. There's a whole lot of marching around setting things on fire followed by absurdly lethal combat in which entire armies evaporate followed by lords slinking home to plant potatoes or whatever. It'll get back on the table sooner or later.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yeah, that's what interested me in the game in the first place. I think OCS spoiled me on wargames because playing front-pushers really doesn't appeal to me as much anymore.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Koenigsberg might not have fallen to the Russians, but they didn't reckon with my cats

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

MikeCrotch posted:

Koenigsberg might not have fallen to the Russians, but they didn't reckon with my cats

!!! Did they chew anything? My idiot boys (cats) put everything in their mouths like toddlers.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Dr. Lunchables posted:

!!! Did they chew anything? My idiot boys (cats) put everything in their mouths like toddlers.

No - they just like to jump on the desk when chasing each other, realise there's something on the desk, panic, flail, and fling bits everywhere...

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, that's what interested me in the game in the first place. I think OCS spoiled me on wargames because playing front-pushers really doesn't appeal to me as much anymore.

May I suggest Supply Lines of the American Revolution? I have a copy, it is quite good.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

We played Nevsky twice and didn't much like it. My copy probably won't ever get played again. If anyone is looking for a gently-used copy I'm in Canada.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm curious what criticism you had of it? I think there are valid criticism of the design which a lot of people have papered over due to the novelty of it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tekopo posted:

I'm curious what criticism you had of it? I think there are valid criticism of the design which a lot of people have papered over due to the novelty of it.

My last couple posts in this thread are about Nevsky from a few months ago, some points defending it, some critiquing it. In the end we thought it was an interesting run at modelling/simulation but just not something that we liked putting on the table. The rules are fiddly in the wrong places and it involved lots of dice hucking that, even if they're simplified, just eventually became a slog.

It's one of those situations where that we didn't like it enough to choose it again over many other games on our shelves. Also one of those situations where if we really memorized the rules and internalized them we might get more of a kick out of it, but there are only so many hours in the day and neurons in my brain.

e. I'm not super happy with the detail in this post either so I'll add this to summarize: really my reaction to the game on the first place was "ok this is neat, i think we have it figured out, lets try it again next week," and then on the second play it was just "well ok then." I think the second game ended with a mid-campaign concession because one player was just too far ahead for the other to have even a chance of catching up.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 8, 2022

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

CommonShore posted:

My last couple posts in this thread are about Nevsky from a few months ago, some points defending it, some critiquing it. In the end we thought it was an interesting run at modelling/simulation but just not something that we liked putting on the table. The rules are fiddly in the wrong places and it involved lots of dice hucking that, even if they're simplified, just eventually became a slog.

It's one of those situations where that we didn't like it enough to choose it again over many other games on our shelves. Also one of those situations where if we really memorized the rules and internalized them we might get more of a kick out of it, but there are only so many hours in the day and neurons in my brain.

Yeah, i can see how people would bounce of Nevsky, having played it some myself. It's very much a game about just kinda putting the pieces in the right spot, and what isn't emphasized ends up being a lot of dice hucking. A lot of the game is basically tracking where a unit can or should move given its current transport and provision situation. It's what an operational medieval game would be about, but then, that might end up being kinda boring to a lot of people.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

Same.

I think there is still a role for some more beers and pretzel-y type games like Simonitch's games, especially for introducing newbies to the hbby,but I'm really looking for games that model clausewitzian friction or logistical limitations in an interesting way.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

So my bonus is in, and with it the latest additions to my collection.

From Hollandspiele, Our God Was Our Shield on Jackson's Valley Campaign. This is the first in a new series of operational-level ACW games. This one is lower complexity, low counter density, with leader counters on the map (face down for fog of war) and strength points tracked in secret off-map. Component quality and map art are good, looks like fun.

Same publisher, Charlemagne. A solo strategic game with a lot going on. Lots of chrome on the rules, very nice looking components. Looking forward to giving this one a try.

And then two P500 second editions from GMT, Pacific War and Vietnam.

Vietnam 2e is gorgeous, map and counters have both gotten a face lift. The rules are supposed to be much the same, but tweaked based on decades of actual play experience. This will be a treat to play, although I'm more likely to play it through VASSAL than with the new components.

Oh my god Pac War 2e is heavy. They upgraded to mounted maps, which means the box is completely full. It got an even nicer facelift than Vietnam did, this is now officially a pretty game. The rules got an overhaul as well. Bases are now one counter per hex, a land combat exploit has been removed, and some other things have been cleaned up. There are good notes on this.

The rules have also been completely reorganized. In the original, they were using phased instruction so we got the rules to play an Engagement scenario, then the rules for Battle, Campaign, and Strategic scenarios. This left the rules for the more complex scenarios scattered throughout the book. In the new edition there is a set o core rules, which is everything in sequence of play order and designed as a reference. There are separate rulebooks for Engagement and Battle scenarios to make playing those easier.

A final Quality of Life improvement is Map A - Extended. This is an unmounted, 11x17" map centered on Papua, the Solomons, and New Britain with the surrounding areas. This will let you play the cooler Battle and Campaign scenarios in a smaller space.

GMT did a great job on both second editions, with Pacific War 2e being a major upgrade well-deserving of getting time on the table. It's still a monster, but it's a much more playable monster now with the new, smaller map and reorganized rules.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm finally getting around to ASL SK3 and remembering how much I dig this game. Does anyone know if the recent official MMP digital edition of the full rules is text-searchable? And I know Beyond Valor is the first(?) full ASL module, but if I grabbed the full rules could I start with another box set (assuming I run across one)? I don't see BV at any of my local haunts or anywhere online.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rockman Reserve posted:

I'm finally getting around to ASL SK3 and remembering how much I dig this game. Does anyone know if the recent official MMP digital edition of the full rules is text-searchable? And I know Beyond Valor is the first(?) full ASL module, but if I grabbed the full rules could I start with another box set (assuming I run across one)? I don't see BV at any of my local haunts or anywhere online.

It is. The only reason why you need Beyond Valour is because it has most of the information counters.

Where are you located?

Edit:
https://ritterkrieg.com/product/beyond-valor-3rd-edition/

Free shipping in the continental US iirc if you mention the Two Half Squads podcast.

Also the Electronic rulebook is hosted at wargamevault and they offer free updates when they occur AND there's a version that uses "Inherit Zoom" for better viewing when clicking links in the PDF.

Edit#2: If you only play on VASL, getting BV is more about getting the specific scenarios. Go with whatever interests you most, iyam.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 23, 2022

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Thanks!! I’m in the US and playing with physical copies - there’s something zen about giving myself carpal tunnel clipping endless piles of counters and then having tons of people die unceremoniously off of an insanely lucky dice roll in the first Mph.

Speaking of which, what are some good counter trays for the 1/2” and 5/8” tokens used? Even with just the first three SKs my current system of “toss all MMCs, SMCs and SWs in small baggies by alliance” is quickly becoming untenable.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
There are quite a few, some people use matchstick boxes, some customize fishing tackles, RAACO boxes are typically used. I use Hozan storage boxes. Higher price point but they have great size and modularity.

See: https://www.desperationmorale.com/asl-museum/counter-storage/

There's no perfect system, so you might need to do some trial and error into what you may or may not like.

Edit: If you want to join the ASL Discord: https://discord.gg/HhERZCZP

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 26, 2022

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Look man, the ASL guys are the uber-nerds of the uber-nerdy wargame world. Hell, I'm an OCS guy, and even I think you ASL guys are weird.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I've been reading the Mahabharata in comic book form and I feel like the huge battle at the end could make a really interesting war game. There's rules to the combat where infantry can only fight infantry, elephant can only fight elephant, but that rule gets broken sometimes, which could be represented by each player having a dharma track that diminishes when they don't follow the rules.

Also, the fighting ends at sunset each day (with a notable exception), which could add an interesting 'reset' on some recurring basis.

On top of that, you have really big characters who have specific rivalries and skills, who could be represented by heros and then there's also numerous celestial weapons which function effectively like spells.

I just can't believe something like this doesn't already exist--all I could find was a self published game on Game Crafter set before the war and an educational roll and move from the 90s. It just seems like it could make a really novel strategy war game--I've not played too many ancients games, but do they have similar artificial rules where honor comes into play and there are other considerations than just trying to kill as many of the other guy as possible?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've been reading the Mahabharata in comic book form and I feel like the huge battle at the end could make a really interesting war game. There's rules to the combat where infantry can only fight infantry, elephant can only fight elephant, but that rule gets broken sometimes, which could be represented by each player having a dharma track that diminishes when they don't follow the rules.

Also, the fighting ends at sunset each day (with a notable exception), which could add an interesting 'reset' on some recurring basis.

On top of that, you have really big characters who have specific rivalries and skills, who could be represented by heros and then there's also numerous celestial weapons which function effectively like spells.

I just can't believe something like this doesn't already exist--all I could find was a self published game on Game Crafter set before the war and an educational roll and move from the 90s. It just seems like it could make a really novel strategy war game--I've not played too many ancients games, but do they have similar artificial rules where honor comes into play and there are other considerations than just trying to kill as many of the other guy as possible?

Occasionally, yeah, but in general not really. I agree about the Mahabhrata, but that's more of a fantasy thing and I think there's some gaming culture stuff (along with, you know, the fact that it's Indian and not European) that means that any adaption would probably lean more into that.

As for honor as a victory condition I know that Pericles - the sequel to Churchill - does that. Pericles is definitely more of a wargame than Churchill because you have actual control over armies, battles, and that sort of stuff. The Spartan and Athenian sides each have 2 players and only one of the four players gets to win. Victory is based off of earning honor through debate and war. Mostly war. This is supposed to encourage a lot of self-sabotage as battles and commitment to theaters are decided for political reasons between the two players who want to earn honor (vp), but can't let their partner get more than them. Offensive battles earn double points, but only for the 'owner' of the battle and only one player can own a battle. So, if the aristocrats say "Let's go invade Sicily" and that actually works then the aristocrats will earn twice the reward compared to the demagogues. I have yet to actually play Pericles though because I don't really have much of a gaming group anymore and the game has a huge commitment. Also, I'm not sure how good it is. Could be good, could be 'meh'.

I have also seen the dharma-yuddha concept in a hex-and-counter wargame from GMT. I think it was named Chandragupta and it was about the beginnings of the Maurya empire, but it was an optional rule to make some of the battles a little more interesting.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I took a look at the rules to Chandragupta and I think they did a good job trying to model the dharmayuddha concept.

You're probably right about the Mahabharata fitting better into a fantasy wargame like Dark Emperor or Albion. I could see it being a really cool design but it's obviously well beyond my talents and abilities and knowledge. I was just hoping it existed already!

Pericles sounds interesting--I still haven't managed to get Churchill played yet, just because 3 isn't the easiest number for our game group. It does seem to touch on the idea of battles being something other than total war, which seems like a potentially rich vein for exploration.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I agree, I like the marriage of politics into wargames what with "war is extension of diplomacy by other means" and all that. The other games in the Churchill series all seem much more crunchy. The Napoleon one looks like it could be amazing, but there's so much tiny stuff there that I'm a bit leery of going for it because that's a no-sell for me.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Am I crazy or does ASL SK3 basically not actually explain vehicle arcs anywhere? I’m so glad there’s so many fan FAQs and tutorials.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rockman Reserve posted:

Am I crazy or does ASL SK3 basically not actually explain vehicle arcs anywhere? I’m so glad there’s so many fan FAQs and tutorials.

I thought there was an example in the sk rulebook?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

:doh: There totally is, in the Vehicles section, I was just looking in the Mph section regarding AFV movement. I'm a moron.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rockman Reserve posted:

:doh: There totally is, in the Vehicles section, I was just looking in the Mph section regarding AFV movement. I'm a moron.

Sometimes that poo poo is obtuse in the rulebooks, don't sweat it :)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Sometimes that poo poo is obtuse in the rulebooks, don't sweat it :)

After playing the first SK3 scenario (which is just infantry) to refresh myself on the system I think I have a very specific form of blindness with the rulebook where anything not directly dealing with infantry might as well be giant blank swaths on the page.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A Strange Aeon posted:

Or you could go for a more... modern source. In which case you'd need rules for special artillery and hero units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAJnmXECfgI

It's on Netflix.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So, any thoughts on Compass Games kickstarter of The African Campaign? I recall seeing it on store shelves 30+ years ago so I'll think I'll get it just to admire it on the shelf.

I will never find anyone to play it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

For whatever reason I am getting the ASL itch. I used to own the 1st edition ruleset, Beyond Valor, Paratrooper, ASL SK1, and one or two other things back around 2006-2009 or so. I hadn't played in years and gave away all my stuff (in this thread I think) a few years back. I am looking at starting back up and am wondering if just getting an electronic version of the rulebook and picking up Beyond Valor is the easiest way to dive back in? It's been more than 10 years since I've played a game but I do remember graduating from the starter kit and starting to get into the less complex scenarios in Paratrooper and Beyond Valor.

I wish there were a way to just get the scenario cards from the Start Kits since the first one seems to be out of print.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hekk posted:

For whatever reason I am getting the ASL itch. I used to own the 1st edition ruleset, Beyond Valor, Paratrooper, ASL SK1, and one or two other things back around 2006-2009 or so. I hadn't played in years and gave away all my stuff (in this thread I think) a few years back. I am looking at starting back up and am wondering if just getting an electronic version of the rulebook and picking up Beyond Valor is the easiest way to dive back in? It's been more than 10 years since I've played a game but I do remember graduating from the starter kit and starting to get into the less complex scenarios in Paratrooper and Beyond Valor.

I wish there were a way to just get the scenario cards from the Start Kits since the first one seems to be out of print.

You can get the latest SK rules and some scenarios at:

https://mmpgamers.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=6

If you want to get the EASLRB, from wargamevault, keep in mind it won't cover the SK rules at all. As for SK scenarios, there are ways... :filez:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Can anyone recommend a good playthrough of ASL S21 (the sk3 scenario introducing tanks) on YouTube? There’s so much to keep track of (no pun intended).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Honestly id be surprised if there was one to begin with...

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

Can anyone recommend a good playthrough of ASL S21 (the sk3 scenario introducing tanks) on YouTube? There’s so much to keep track of (no pun intended).

i dunno how good these are but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZkxk730PZM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgBGK5LNbWE

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You can get the latest SK rules and some scenarios at:

https://mmpgamers.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=6

If you want to get the EASLRB, from wargamevault, keep in mind it won't cover the SK rules at all. As for SK scenarios, there are ways... :filez:

Well I hate money for some reason so I bought the EASLRB and then went back and got the Pocket Bundle and Beyond Valor.

If anyone has a good source on where I can pick some scenarios while I wait for all this to ship just let me know. It seems like most of the old grogs are stuck in the stone age. I was gonna check out some of the Rally Point scenarios but you can only buy them in physical form. It's 10 sheets of paper that you are paying to have shipped to you instead of just printing at home...

Hekk fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 5, 2022

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hekk posted:

Well I hate money for some reason so I bought the EASLRB and then went back and got the Pocket Bundle and Beyond Valor.

If anyone has a good source on where I can pick some scenarios while I wait for all this to ship just let me know. It seems like most of the old grogs are stuck in the stone age. I was gonna check out some of the Rally Point scenarios but you can only buy them in physical form. It's 10 sheets of paper that you are paying to have shipped to you instead of just printing at home...

The reason why they don't offer digital formats is almost certainly as an anti-theft measure. You see, if you offer the scenarios on paper only, they become impossible to scan.

Edit: Nobleknight is overpriced, iyam. I think they just offer listings, right? Most of the stuff sells at whatever the vendor wants it to sell at. Your best bet is to find guys like ritterkrieg who carry product at better prices, or with free shipping, etc etc

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I went out to a local meeting and played face to face Advanced Squad Leader for almost 7 hours today. One of the group members walked me through some basic infantry stuff for a bit before another newer player and I sat down and played through Gavin Take. We definitely weren't the fastest players ever recorded but we did manage to cause some crazy edge cases in routing, prisoners, and close overrun that slowed things down a bit. I learned a ton and had a really good time so I will definitely go out again to the next meetup.