Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

uh... IAX? VoIP?
Seriously. What happened? How did it come to sip?

VoIP stands for Voice Over IP, it uses the SIP protocol.

IAX2 is garbage and sounds bad, but the implementation is far far better than SIP.

SIP is stupid, uses UDP, uses multiple ports for video and audio, and doesn't support NAT very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SubjectVerbObject posted:

FYI, the next wave of fun will be all the telecom stuff getting virtualized and then there will be the same fights between telecom and enterprise server admins as there were with enterprise network admins.

Everything you said was dead on, so I'm not trying to argue or anything, but it's not like virtualized telecom stuff is new ground or anything. I don't really see any reason that virtualizing telecom is any more complicated than virtualizing pretty much anything else.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ratbert90 posted:

and doesn't support NAT very well.

That is an understatement.

I didn't realize IAX sounded like poo poo though. I've only used it for fax.

and sorry when I say VoIP I'm thinking more on the federated aspect than just sip. Like Gtalk, Skype, or for gently caress's sake H.323

Why did H.323 never become a thing?
Where are my awesome holo-phones?

Internet Explorer posted:

Everything you said was dead on, so I'm not trying to argue or anything, but it's not like virtualized telecom stuff is new ground or anything. I don't really see any reason that virtualizing telecom is any more complicated than virtualizing pretty much anything else.

My boss spent about 2 years trying to explain to me that it's "impossible" to virtualize a fax server. It needs to be on bare metal. I still don't understand why. Something about timing? idfk

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 8, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There are IP phones that aren't SIP that use H.323.

And faxing is dealt with by forwarding your fax number to a fax-to-email service.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Uh our fax server is virtualized. We use xmedius. Works great.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

The bottom line is real time applications are special. I mean, they aren't really, but they need some care and feeding.

So back in the day when telecom and network collided, there were plenty of "my phone system was fine until you put it on the network" "my network was fine until you put the phone system on it" type arguments. A lot of the problems were due to things like QOS not being enabled because telecom couldn't really talk network, so stuff would get shoved out and have issues.

Now days we are starting to see the "my phone system was fine until you virtualized it" "my hosts were fine until you stuck the phone system on it." I am talking more about Avaya stuff. Avaya is pushing stuff to be virtualized, but their products aren't really virtually aware. Additionally, they demand that certain amounts of CPU/RAM be permanently reserved. If this isn't communicated well to the server admins, then you have resources being dynamically assigned.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Last week I was drinking Hennessey straight from the bottle and I thought of this thread.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My boss spent about 2 years trying to explain to me that it's "impossible" to virtualize a fax server. It needs to be on bare metal. I still don't understand why. Something about timing? idfk

This was generally because "old" fax servers required a dedicated hardware fax board that made it not worth virtualizing. This shouldn't the case in anything even remotely recent.

The bottom line is real time applications are special. I mean, they aren't really, but they need some care and feeding.

So back in the day when telecom and network collided, there were plenty of "my phone system was fine until you put it on the network" "my network was fine until you put the phone system on it" type arguments. A lot of the problems were due to things like QOS not being enabled because telecom couldn't really talk network, so stuff would get shoved out and have issues.

Now days we are starting to see the "my phone system was fine until you virtualized it" "my hosts were fine until you stuck the phone system on it." I am talking more about Avaya stuff. Avaya is pushing stuff to be virtualized, but their products aren't really virtually aware. Additionally, they demand that certain amounts of CPU/RAM be permanently reserved. If this isn't communicated well to the server admins, then you have resources being dynamically assigned.

I get it. Like I said, I agree with what you're saying. I'm just saying it is stupid that is has to be that way. Telecom not knowing about QoS and the network team not being able to "translate" for them is awful and I have dealt with it first hand. There is no reason for that to be a stumbling block. The Network team's job is to understand how an application works in relation to the network, even if they don't understand the nitty gritty of how the application itself works. But at the same time, it is inexcusable for telecom guys not to know the basics of networking in 2016 (or mid-2000's when this problem started to happen frequently.)

The server side of things is the same exact thing. Application's don't need to be "virtually aware." Nothing was "virtually aware" for years when virtualization started to become mainstream. Have things gotten better since then? Absolutely. But as long as you are sizing your environment properly, it shouldn't be a problem. Every vendor demands certain amounts of CPU/RAM be permanently assigned. Less so now a days, but that was what every vendor said when virtualization started.

And there are plenty of real time applications in the IT space that do not suffer from the same "fate" as telecom. Video Conferencing, Remote Desktop, etc, etc.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 8, 2016

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

I get it. Like I said, I agree with what you're saying. I'm just saying it is stupid that is has to be that way.

All good man. At this point we are just 2 guys in the trenches telling war stories. Really all of this has been good for me regarding skill development. I had to learn the network side of stuff, and now I am getting started on virtualization.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That is an understatement.
I was being nice.

quote:

I didn't realize IAX sounded like poo poo though. I've only used it for fax.
YEP, my company makes a phone supporting IAX and SIP and SIP sounds much MUCH better.

quote:

and sorry when I say VoIP I'm thinking more on the federated aspect than just sip. Like Gtalk, Skype, or for gently caress's sake H.323
I think VoIP as Phone, and Gtalk/Skype as WebRTC, even though they technically both are VoIP, my bad.

quote:

Why did H.323 never become a thing?
I don't know, and we should never talk about it.

quote:

Your boss is a moron.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

All good man. At this point we are just 2 guys in the trenches telling war stories. Really all of this has been good for me regarding skill development. I had to learn the network side of stuff, and now I am getting started on virtualization.

You're (phone guys) still first up against the wall when they make me King of IT, okay buddy. :v:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

You're (phone guys) still first up against the wall when they make me King of IT, okay buddy. :v:

When you come for me I'll just look at you and say "I knew it would be you."

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
will be going all rwandan on them by letting the network guys bludgeon the phone people to death with buttphones

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Speaking of phones,
for the longest time, I really wanted one of these:

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-voip/uvp-executive/

The more I think about it, the more I realize it's just a really lovely tablet with a handset.

I still kind of want a desk phone though. I've been sitting on a couple digium phones for a while now. I had built a raspbx trunked to my google voice number, and used it at my last house with varying degrees of success, but I never set it back up once I moved.

Maybe one day, once I wire my new place up, I'll install the phones and boot up the pbx, if for no other reason than I have this little PoE switch that's not doing me any good all packed away in a box.

One day...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The minimal amount of dealings I've had with Avaya software gives me the impression that it's all complete poo poo.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Last week I was drinking Hennessey straight from the bottle and I thought of this thread.

Turn up

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Can't we just all use cell phones.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

H110Hawk posted:

Can't we just all use cell phones.

I'm 99% sure our company is moving this way.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
So they fixed one issue with our phones and discovered another! And of course, Fairpoint (who is not our vendor, but owns the lines), now has to have another trouble ticket for that, instead of just working to resolve the entire issue at once.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Oops. DP'ed!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Had my Webex presentation earlier today. Everything seemed to go well, and the President of Global Services (who would be my boss's boss) seems completely sane and level-headed.

I have another interview with a different company in an hour and a half, but I don't even know if I'd take it so I'm not nervous at all about it.

:feelsgood:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

The minimal amount of dealings I've had with Avaya software gives me the impression that it's all complete poo poo.

Avaya's big iron products can do 300k call completions an hour and are some of the few products that can run a huge phone system. Additionally they are feature rich and customizable to the point that you can completely screw stuff up and/or discover new bugs that mess things up.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

GreenNight posted:

Uh our fax server is virtualized. We use xmedius. Works great.

Sagemcomm works well enough, but it's very much an antique platform that new feature sets get bolted onto.

Internally xMedius fully supports Active Directory/LDAP, but not for authenticating to xMedius from an administrative capacity. This means that you have the old standby of Administrator / Password whenever you need to make a configuration change. Makes no sense whatsoever and makes it that much more painful to segregate responsibilities.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Turtlicious posted:

This might be rad for you then: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24798/86622/?ba=TMoney2591 It taste's like rootbeer entirely, but it's 40 proof or something like that.

No it doesn't. It tastes like rootbeer and alcohol.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Unless you are doing a ton of faxes, just use a cloud faxing service and save yourself the headache.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Unless you are doing a ton of faxes, just use a cloud faxing service and save yourself the headache.

I wish. Our management is incredibly resistant to moving towards the cloud. XMedius even has a cloud offering, but no. We need our fax server to be on-prem.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I wish. Our management is incredibly resistant to moving towards the cloud. XMedius even has a cloud offering, but no. We need our fax server to be on-prem.
If you're using a fax line for super secret legal documents, which is like the only legitimate reason I can think of for keeping a fax line, then I can see not wanting to move to a cloud solution.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

anthonypants posted:

If you're using a fax line for super secret legal documents, which is like the only legitimate reason I can think of for keeping a fax line, then I can see not wanting to move to a cloud solution.

Negative, we just "want control of the situation."

Faxing is hardly a secure form of communication anyway.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Negative, we just "want control of the situation."

Faxing is hardly a secure form of communication anyway.

That's silly. Which it sounds like you know. There are a number of ways to deal with cloud faxing that keeps you in control of the situation.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Asked in the cert thread but I figured I'd ask here too. WGU is obviously the goon approved online bachelors school but what about for a masters degree?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SaltLick posted:

Asked in the cert thread but I figured I'd ask here too. WGU is obviously the goon approved online bachelors school but what about for a masters degree?

I just finished mine and I thought it was pretty meh. It is not as polished as their undergrad stuff in my opinion but it wasn't a terrible experience.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

SaltLick posted:

I'm working on an MBA from SNHU's online program as a WGU grad. SNHU seems to have their poo poo together as far as the program, but I can't speak to WGU's.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm in Hopkins' master's program. It's pretty legit and you have the option of doing both online and in-person courses, although we have plenty of people who don't live in the area and just do the entire thing online. Only catch is that it's pretty expensive, but I picked it because of their focus on research and systems engineering over straight IT (I wanted the option to pursue a PHD) and because of the numerous public and private connections at the Applied Physics Lab.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 9, 2016

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007
How would you guys approach trying to find a sysadmin or desktop support job in a different city? I'm 23, been doing desktop support for 3 years, about to finish my MCSA for server 2012 and I'm going to move... somewhere. I have some cash saved up but I'd rather know I have a job than move somewhere and get stuck trying to find one. For roles that aren't terribly advanced would any employer do Skype interviews?

Also I can't decide between Portland, Richmond or Denver. Any goons know what these job markets look like?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

unclenutzzy posted:

How would you guys approach trying to find a sysadmin or desktop support job in a different city? I'm 23, been doing desktop support for 3 years, about to finish my MCSA for server 2012 and I'm going to move... somewhere. I have some cash saved up but I'd rather know I have a job than move somewhere and get stuck trying to find one. For roles that aren't terribly advanced would any employer do Skype interviews?

Also I can't decide between Portland, Richmond or Denver. Any goons know what these job markets look like?

Richland, Denver then Portland in that order. I'd say you'd probably be able to get a remote interview with only an MCSA with a little bit of luck.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Your best bet at that level is going to be to move first and then find a job. Or make no indication of where you live and be prepared to have to fly out on a moment's notice for an in-person interview.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Colonial Air Force posted:

So they fixed one issue with our phones and discovered another! And of course, Fairpoint (who is not our vendor, but owns the lines), now has to have another trouble ticket for that, instead of just working to resolve the entire issue at once.

Fairpoint came out, ran a test on the T1 card, and said nothing was wrong. Then the older tech decided to use it as a training opportunity for the younger tech he had with him, and showed him how to connect the equipment and test it.

Then it started working.

I don't even know.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
So by the end of this month I will (hopefully) have:

1 - Set up policies for our expensive EMC Avamar backup system that are sane (excluding out cloud storage folders, system folders, etc., excluding the vast majority of media files), compared to the original setup (before my time) which just backed up C:\ (Surprise, we're out of storage capacity. Also yes we literally only backed up C:\, good luck to anyone who had extra partitions/local drives). We'll send out an email communicating this to our users and will offer to help them get department provided Box.com sync folders set up if they need to back up their media files.

2 - Restructured our department's OU to be much more orderly and documented as opposed to mess it is now.

3 - Begun the process of creating security groups & GPOs to map department network shares instead of them just being done per profile per machine like they are now.

4 - Purchased a license for PDQ Deploy and begin using that to update people's Office installs.

I am so underpaid for being in charge of this, but am relishing the experience and how nice it will look on my resume, so all in all I'm looking forward to it.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

unclenutzzy posted:

I happen to be a recruiter here in Richmond, so I can help you with that. What Psydude said is absolutely accurate. At the desktop/sys admin level, there is no shortage of candidates and living out of town hurts because if a client asks me, I can have 3 solid people in a day or two for an interview. Companies (and agencies) won't pay to relo or want to deal with the question marks relo offers when they have deadlines to meet. The only people I generally bring to town have very specialized skills. I did move a senior net eng to town a few months ago, but that's a rarity.

Get yourself there, work in a restaurant or something for a few weeks or some other temp work, and find your way from there.

The Richmond job market is solid in my opinion and if you have tech and people skills you will be fine. It's definitely a candidate's market in general. PM me or give me your email address if you want to talk further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I had an accounting person come to me and ask me if an email was legit. It was not, but it looked pretty drat close. I am so proud of my users right now.