Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

De Nomolos posted:

Welp, guess I'll accept Hillary/donate to local candidates instead.

The Coronation of God-Empress Hillary Marches On.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I feel bad for Lincoln. He's a genuinely nice guy who's not a complete hack but...

Don't, he was the one that decided to 'run' for president without doing any prep or legwork or even seeing if more than a dozen people were interested in him running.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Don't, he was the one that decided to 'run' for president without doing any prep or legwork or even seeing if more than a dozen people were interested in him running.

I mean, its like feeling bad for that kid in school who constantly ran for class officer despite being the nerdiest dude in the room with like 3 friends.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

This is better than Marco Rubio, the new fragrance by Channel or Aquafresh Romney

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

RevKrule posted:

The only thing I can imagine him saying at this moment is "I've got my big boy suit on."

You don't have to understand fashion, but you should have people who do who look you over before you go on stage to give a thumbs up.

Still wearing off the rack from Sears. He'll look great up there on the debate stage next to Bush and Trump and all the other guys who bother to pay for some tailoring.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Still wearing off the rack from Sears. He'll look great up there on the debate stage next to Bush and Trump and all the other guys who bother to pay for some tailoring.

I don't think any number of image consultants can save a guy who thinks

is a great selfie.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This is better than Marco Rubio, the new fragrance by Channel or Aquafresh Romney
It's very baseball team.

We have Perry 2.0 but it also feels like he's running even more "Texan" this time. That kind of regionalism can distinguish you but it limits national appeal, like tri-state area candidates with think Joisey accents. George W. Bush kinda pulled it off but he was subtle about it compared to Perry.

What Perry 2.0 is doing is neo-Texan technocratic conservatism with its emphasis on wonky policies, eyeglasses borrowed from the Bay Area -- we're not stupid, really!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Zikan posted:

is a great selfie.

How many chins does he have

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Omi-Polari posted:

It's very baseball team.

We have Perry 2.0 but it also feels like he's running even more "Texan" this time. That kind of regionalism can distinguish you but it limits national appeal, like tri-state area candidates with think Joisey accents. George W. Bush kinda pulled it off but he was subtle about it compared to Perry.

What Perry 2.0 is doing is neo-Texan technocratic conservatism with its emphasis on wonky policies, eyeglasses borrowed from the Bay Area -- we're not stupid, really!

I am okay with it.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The Coronation of God-Empress Hillary Marches On.
We need a Bene Gesserit president now more than ever.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zikan posted:

is a great selfie.

please be the image they use in attack ads please be the image they use in attack ads

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

That still makes more sense than someone like Jindal who has put in a ton of prep and legwork yet still completely forgot about that "seeing if more than a dozen people were interested" part, and apparently the fact that he is currently in charge of running a state.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Honestly Chafee should just throw in the towel now. I mean goddamn, that's just sad.

Donald Trump, professional idiot posted:

Specifically, what would you do to address the Islamic State (ISIS) in Iraq and Syria?

I have an absolute way of defeating ISIS, and it would be decisive and quick and it would be very beautiful. Very surgical.

Military on the ground? Drone strikes?

If I tell you right now, everyone else is going to say: “Wow, what a great idea.” You’re going to have 10 candidates going to use it and they’re going to forget where it came from. Which is me.
This is exactly like Romney's mystery box plan in 2012. "I have a plan, totally. But I'm not going to tell you what it is, you have to elect me to find out."

And haha loving Christ that is complete and utter bullshit, the only decisive and quick option to pushing back ISIL (not even defeating them, just shoving them back underground) would be a massive US (re)invasion of Iraq and Syria. Or a nuke, for a given definition of "decisive, quick, beautiful and surgical".

You know, I'd love to ask "the Donald" if he even knows who the Kurds are.:allears:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

How many chins does he have

All of 'em, Katie. Any of them that have been in front of me over all these years.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Gingrich needs to declare soon so there can be somebody in the Heterosexual Candidate niche.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

please be the image they use in attack ads please be the image they use in attack ads

All a republican has to do is post this and wait for the freak out

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
I'm watching Rick Perry's announcement right now and man, he is sweating like a pig. He looks like he climbed out of a pool to give his speech.

Also, whoever pointed out that Perry's logo looks like a baseball team's was spot on.

sexy fucking muskrat fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 4, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Dude to Perry's left looks like he took a nasty punch to the face at some point.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Zikan posted:

is a great selfie.

I never knew what "looking presidential" meant until right now.

It means "the opposite of this"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I like Chaffee. It is sad. If not unsurprising.

Also, goddamn Hillary supporters are the absolute worst lately. I've seen quite a bit of rhetoric lately that is essentially just "If you don't support Hillary in the primary, you should just shut up. She is inevitable, and speaking against her will damage the Democratic party and her chances to win", especially when someone brings up Bernie or O'Malley but sometimes just unprovoked. This is... not a strategy that seems likely to motivate democrats to get more involved in politics.

The whole "inevitability" thing might be true, but it's not exactly building enthusiasm for her among anyone I know. Is it actually attracting supporters outside of my circles or what?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

gently caress Chris Kyle

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Holy poo poo that theme song

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Dude to Perry's left looks like he took a nasty punch to the face at some point.

That's Marcus Luttrel who was the only survivor of a helicopter shot down by an RPG in Afghanistan.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Joementum posted:

Close enough?

Close as we're gonna get, I guess :sigh:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, goddamn Hillary supporters are the absolute worst lately. I've seen quite a bit of rhetoric lately that is essentially just "If you don't support Hillary in the primary, you should just shut up. She is inevitable, and speaking against her will damage the Democratic party and her chances to win", especially when someone brings up Bernie or O'Malley but sometimes just unprovoked. This is... not a strategy that seems likely to motivate democrats to get more involved in politics.

The whole "inevitability" thing might be true, but it's not exactly building enthusiasm for her among anyone I know. Is it actually attracting supporters outside of my circles or what?

Clinton is actually already extremely popular with democrats.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Text Perry to 56512

"In back we are filming an episode of Hannity"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Zelder posted:

Clinton is actually already extremely popular with democrats.

I am aware of that. But she's still going to want the people she's not popular with to come out and vote for her in the general. She's going to want those who do come out for her to be enthusiastic and volunteer to campaign.

Also, I find it amusing that Chafee seems to be the only one in the OP without a picture.
Edit: Wait no looks like Graham and Pataki have one either.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 4, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Die hard Hillary fans have always been maximum insufferable. Hillaryis44 is still going strong ranting and raving about anyone that dares challenge Hillary's crowning.

e: :laffo: except Chaffee apparently

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 4, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GlyphGryph posted:

Hillary has always been a bad candidate and I'm actually a little worried that she's the only "electable" choice right now.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

This picture is cracking me up. It looks like the guy is trying to melt Perry's brain with his mind.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hillary has always been a bad candidate and I'm actually a little worried that she's the only "electable" choice right now.

Both her and the rhetoric around her campaign give me a big Martha Coakley vibe sometimes.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

GlyphGryph posted:

Both her and the rhetoric around her campaign give me a big Martha Coakley vibe sometimes.

She is kind of the diametric opposite of Martha Coakley. She definitely got caught with her pants down by Obama, but she's not going to let anything like that happen again, and she certainly wouldn't have been that blase about the actual general election.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

GlyphGryph posted:

The democratic leadership have to prop up candidates other than Hillary or else the party will not look very democratic in the general election. It's true that Hillary is pretty much guaranteed to win at this point, but Americans want to at least feel like there's the illusion of democracy in their political system.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

GlyphGryph posted:

2008.txt

I guess this time though we won't get to see Hillary's campaign descend into racism as they desperately try to rile up that white vote.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Mystic_Shadow posted:

It's true that Hillary is pretty much guaranteed to win at this point

I don't believe this for a second, as much as I'd like to. I'm pretty worried that if Jeb Bush is the nominee he will win by virtue of being a white guy named Bush who (unlike Romney) will have the full weight of the GOP behind him.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

neonnoodle posted:

I don't believe this for a second, as much as I'd like to. I'm pretty worried that if Jeb Bush is the nominee he will win by virtue of being a white guy named Bush who (unlike Romney) will have the full weight of the GOP behind him.

If anything being a white guy named Bush will be the hardest thing for him to overcome.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

Obdicut posted:

She is kind of the diametric opposite of Martha Coakley. She definitely got caught with her pants down by Obama, but she's not going to let anything like that happen again, and she certainly wouldn't have been that blase about the actual general election.

I've been saying for a while that she's a lot closer to Coakley than a lot of people would like to believe.
- Both she and Coakley have made it policy to avoid as much unscripted engagement with the public and press as possible.
- Both she and Coakley are "presumed winners" by simple existence, not because they bring anything special to the table.
- Both she and Coakley have attempted to gain access to political office not for reasons of service, but so they can build their resumes for higher office.
- Both she and Coakley are proven losers.

If she's who the Dems nominate, then that's the horse we're running. Here's hoping that the "masses of democrats that love Hillary" actually show up to vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Mystic_Shadow posted:

The democratic leadership have to prop up candidates other than Hillary or else the party will not look very democratic in the general election. It's true that Hillary is pretty much guaranteed to win at this point, but Americans want to at least feel like there's the illusion of democracy in their political system.

Also, the other candidates can float policy ideas that Hillary can coopt if they catch on or ignore if they don't. Anything too far out can be disowned entirely at no cost to her ("Yeah, that was Sanders' idea; he's not even a real Democrat!").

The other candidates are doing her a favor and if someone doesn't understand that then just call them stupid and walk away because there is no loving hope for them.

• Locked thread