Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

they stuck the feedback driver right under the home nub. maybe the jack would have gotten in the way.

stereo speakers on a phone are just dumb though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
ios 10 bricked my se thanks tim

poty
Jun 21, 2008

its stuck on the connect to itunes screen but itunes doesnt see it

i did update itunes btw

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i think ill hold off on this upgrade until tim sorts his poo poo

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

poty posted:

its stuck on the connect to itunes screen but itunes doesnt see it

i did update itunes btw

itunes restore i guess

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sniep posted:

"upgrade"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

yippee cahier posted:

god forbid a bargain POS system built on consumer electronics might require a tax deductible $600 upgrade every five years

well if you believe what small business owners say about taxes and minimum wage and overtime and sick days, 10 dollars a month would literally bankrupt them

*attends trump rally in loaded Porsche Cayenne*

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

so whats the water resistance like? i know people taking pics underwater with their samsung edge or whatever is the waterproof sarnsung.

samsung claims the s7/edge are rated to ip68 (more than 1 meter - other samsungs claim 1.5 m - for 30 minutes) while apple claims iphones are up67 (up to 1 m for 30 min), which is the same as the apple watch 1. actual tests of samsungs suggest their rating might be a bit optimistic. basically, in either case, probably don't go swimming with them (even though they'll probably survive if you do), but they'll be fine if you drop them in the toilet.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

ok a computer restart helped itunes find the phone apparently its downloading 10.0.1

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sniep posted:

:same: since ios 6

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

lmao john fireball is such a loving charlatan

quote:

I used them all day long the day I flew home from San Francisco to Philadelphia. I made a few phone calls, then played music throughout the flight. When I got in the door at home, the AirPods still had 44 percent of their charge, and the case was at like 80 percent or something like that.
so his earpods RAN OUT OF BATTERY DURING THE DAY AND HE HAD TO RECHARGE THEM and he crows that they ended the day at 44% like that's an accomplishment

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

oh and

quote:

they make the $199 Beats Powerbeats2 wireless headphones I bought last year look like a joke.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Linguica posted:

lmao john fireball is such a loving charlatan

so his earpods RAN OUT OF BATTERY DURING THE DAY AND HE HAD TO RECHARGE THEM and he crows that they ended the day at 44% like that's an accomplishment

it just sounds like he didn't have them in 100% of the time. and where do you put them when you don't have them in so they don't get lost? that's right, baby: the case.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Lots of reports of OTA iOS 10 updates are failing for people and they have to connect to iTunes to finish the update/restore their phone. Anyone here have issues? I'm backing up my phone first and might wait until very late tonight to update.

Tim, better bring more servers online to handle the rush.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
5s upgraded to 10 just fine

:smug:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Endless Mike posted:

samsung claims the s7/edge are rated to ip68 (more than 1 meter - other samsungs claim 1.5 m - for 30 minutes) while apple claims iphones are up67 (up to 1 m for 30 min), which is the same as the apple watch 1. actual tests of samsungs suggest their rating might be a bit optimistic. basically, in either case, probably don't go swimming with them (even though they'll probably survive if you do), but they'll be fine if you drop them in the toilet.

I've taken my Sony Xperia Z3 swimming and boating on multiple occasions and it has stood up perfectly, even through intense surf and crashing waves, and down to 50cm or so submerged

always fresh water ofc though. I wouldn't put it in the ocean or in a chlorinated pool.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The Vinja Ninja posted:

I will gladly take bluetooth headphones over KOREAN DEATH PHONE. I hear that if you leave a Korean Phone on the charger overnight you will die.

fan boy spotted

ufarn
May 30, 2009
ios 10 updates breaking and tvos shipping without single sign on, great job all

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

trilljester posted:

Lots of reports of OTA iOS 10 updates are failing for people and they have to connect to iTunes to finish the update/restore their phone. Anyone here have issues? I'm backing up my phone first and might wait until very late tonight to update.

I'm calling the ceo of itunes and giving my permission to use the fastest servers

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ufarn posted:

ios 10 updates breaking and tvos shipping without single sign on, great job all

you know what they say it takes to use an apple product?

courage

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Last Chance posted:

it just sounds like he didn't have them in 100% of the time. and where do you put them when you don't have them in so they don't get lost? that's right, baby: the case.

or wrapped around the device like a normal person with normal headphones that don't need batteries

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

maniacdevnull posted:

or wrapped around the device like a normal person with normal headphones that don't need batteries

how do you use a touch screen device when the cord is wrapped around the screen?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

poty posted:

ok a computer restart helped itunes find the phone apparently its downloading 10.0.1

for anyone following my adventures with bated breath this made everything work again without having to restore

after the download got interrupted in the middle and had to start from 0 a couple of times

i miss you steve

poty
Jun 21, 2008

it sounds like the problem is that upgrading ota downloads 10.0

using itunes you get 10.0.1

so use itunes

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

It
Just
Works

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
the iPhone 7 can play music for 60 hours, but to listen to music for 60 hours you'd have to put the airbuds in their capsule hotel for a total of 5 hours and recharge that three times

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

poty posted:

so use itunes

that a known thing, the iphone 7 ships with 10.0 everything else gets 10.0.1 ota

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I upgraded OTA to 10.0.1 flawlessly.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

the iPhone 7 can play music for 60 hours, but to listen to music for 60 hours you'd have to put the airbuds in their capsule hotel for a total of 5 hours and recharge that three times

I plug in my lightning headphones while they're charging. check mate.

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

trilljester posted:

All the reports are from people who went to Back alley Shenzen Flash memory resolderers. Maybe they should leave the poor phones alone, because removing swipe to unlock is a sure sign that nobody at apple cares anymore other than trying to seem more productive in Tim Cooks "cook the books productivity spreadsheet"

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

atomicthumbs posted:

You could just plug the included lightning earpods into the lightning port and enjoy music for 60 hours, or use the included lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter and enjoy 60 hours of music. That's what I plan to do if I ever have the need to listen to music outside of my car on my iPhone 7+ 128G Black model.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

yup. a bunch of people seem convinced that everyone secretly desires to be able to put their phone down and walk around the house listening to music because that is the go-to when asked what you can do with Bluetooth that you can't do with wired. no response to pointing out that you could already do that with any other iPhone.

The Apple difference is that now you can do it nude.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

it's kind of like "plays music for 60 hours straight" is a meaningless and stupid metric because no in the entire world has ever used their phone that way

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

*48 hours in* yeah, still listening!!! i think the musicians in this song are trying to tell me to burn down the building, another 12 hours and i'm sure i'll have worked out what they're saying!" *chugs 3 more 5 hour energy bottles*

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

poty posted:

so use itunes

lmao. what a freaking piece of poo poo Apple Computers has become.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ArmZ posted:

I plug in my lightning headphones while they're charging. check mate.

this has already been discounted as a possibility

it's wireless or nothing

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

If I forget to charge my Logitech H800 Bluetooth Headset I can plug it into something and listen while it charges.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

The Apple difference is that now you can do it nude.

Apple: Now you can do it nude

I'd watch those ads

Ohhh yeah John Hodgman :fap:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

poty posted:

so use itunes

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Show me that hotspacho, samuel l jackson

Stay here just a little longer before you go get that tomato soup, Zooey Deschanel

etc etc other references to apple commercials involving tomato-based liquids

• Locked thread