Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
ac5 or uac 5 on the murdermets only please. or the mint frog special, dual gauss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAXWzQbIbmM

lol took this obvious guy until this July to be actioned on.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Is it me or could the hellbringer really do with some endo steel?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It really could. It's a solid mech, but it will always be second-fiddle to the TBR, EBJ, etc because it doesn't have Endo. Same problem all clan mechs have, except the HBR has ECM and high mounts and enough hardpoints to be an okay mech. Unlike, say, the Summoner.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Is it me or could the hellbringer really do with some endo steel?

Just dump that old chassis and get a Cauldron Born.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Just dump that old chassis and get a Cauldron Born.

I have one and i like it, but pgi gives me a hellbringer for being an idiot whos bad with money so i might as well elite them.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Killer_B posted:

Any advice that can be given that will help advance me from being another pubbie bad?

Have plenty of the mechs that SHOULD do well...I realize that doing pugs here is much like repeatedly slamming forehead against a concrete wall.

I played quite a bit a while ago, but took a bit of a break - I dunno; Either the overall meta dynamic has changed dramatically, or I pretty much got the equivalent of the illusion that I did well early on, simply because there were people infinitely worse than me.

Not horribly valid for me now at T3! (for what it matters)

(Disclaimer : Understood that the chance of a facetious answer is currently at 68.235235%!)

For how irritating pugs can be I find it much easier to do well and win in the solo queue than the group queue. The group queue has much better players and more people playing together as a team than the solo queue in my opinion, at least as a Tier 2.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

What is the tankiest IS mech that isn't the Marauder? I've got the ~12mils to spend on a chassis, and looking at my current heavy lineup (Catapult, Thunderbolt, Marauder) I think what I'm missing the most is a good brawler. I'm awfully tempted by the Orion, especially the mini-Atlas builds, but... you know.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

NihilCredo posted:

What is the tankiest IS mech that isn't the Marauder? I've got the ~12mils to spend on a chassis, and looking at my current heavy lineup (Catapult, Thunderbolt, Marauder) I think what I'm missing the most is a good brawler. I'm awfully tempted by the Orion, especially the mini-Atlas builds, but... you know.

Maybe not the tankiest but the Warhammer is the best IS Heavy mech imo. All variants are great but for C-Bills I would suggest the 6D to begin with: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=383&l=a400df7a99133e51e38d2b457193cb24ecb914a6
If you want to master or at least elite them, which you should, I would suggest the 6R next: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=382&l=5020041330e6606d5c97acdd582f8fd3417fd617
For the 3rd one I really suggest the Black Widow: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=385&l=b5a5f3dbd32509ac4a19f0aec3c672dadd077a46 but if you don't want to spend MC there is also the 7S, which is not as good I think: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=384&l=212255bb6e6442aeaba8a9635f03a9896584cdce

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

If you want a heavy its the Warhammer or one of the X Cataphracts, both brawl pretty well. The Cataphract is very tough and is much shorter and less noticed than the warhammer along with having i think some of the meatiest strructure quirks in the game, you can also get an ECM variant.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

TeeMerk posted:

ac5 or uac 5 on the murdermets only please. or the mint frog special, dual gauss.

Frog's special was a Marmoset with 3 mg's and a bunch of ll's iirc. The Gauss Marmoset was my standard, with dakka-phracts being the meta-build.

Marmoset was once a king... :smith:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Whams and Black Knights are both tough and good. I would suggest either of those before diving into and getting frustrated with Orions or Phracts.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Okay, since I'm a horrible person and I qualify for the Hellbringer Loyalty mech, which two variants should I buy during the sale to go with it so I can Elite it? Prime is a given, considering it's the only one with ECM or AMS. But A vs B, I'm leaning A.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

None of the hell bringers have quirks or ct hard points so it doesn't really matter. Mix and match to your hearts content.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

armchairyoda posted:

Frog's special was a Marmoset with 3 mg's and a bunch of ll's iirc. The Gauss Marmoset was my standard, with dakka-phracts being the meta-build.

Marmoset was once a king... :smith:

The mint frog special is a xl 340, 3 mgs, 3lpl, max armor, ams, heatsinks. It's a good build.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Q_res posted:

Okay, since I'm a horrible person and I qualify for the Hellbringer Loyalty mech, which two variants should I buy during the sale to go with it so I can Elite it? Prime is a given, considering it's the only one with ECM or AMS. But A vs B, I'm leaning A.

I took the one with the head-laser as 2nd.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Random Number posted:

The mint frog special is a xl 340, 3 mgs, 3lpl, max armor, ams, heatsinks. It's a good build.

Mint Frog is a good build.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
God I love the phract because I love the AC20

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Q_res posted:

It really doesn't matter at all. You're gonna end up mixing and matching omnipods anyway. You can literally put every build on every variant. Just go by price.

Beraiye fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 25, 2016

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Q_res posted:

You're going to use that Hellbringer Prime LT omnipod on every build you use. The next most useful omnipods are the A's LA and head. The B's only unique omnipod is that 2M RT and that's not super useful.

That said, Hellbringers don't have quirks and you can buy omnipods a la carte so whatever, who cares

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Hellbringers suck unless you want to peak and poke. They're consigned to maybe two builds that do something well. Other than that, the lack of endo and their massive hitboxes hurt them greatly.

And yes, I've actually taken them out as opposed to gently caress around on Smurfys making a build and deeming it "a good mech". It's not.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Skoll posted:

Hellbringers suck unless you want to peak and poke. They're consigned to maybe two builds that do something well. Other than that, the lack of endo and their massive hitboxes hurt them greatly.

And yes, I've actually taken them out as opposed to gently caress around on Smurfys making a build and deeming it "a good mech". It's not.

What I've seen work for hellbringer is long range laser poke with ECM and that was about it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There are about four builds, and they are all laser focused. Makes sense, there aren't enough missile hardpoints to do SRMs properly, no endo and no ferro means no ballistics, and then there are a boatload of energy hardpoints.

That said, it's savage in CW. Six ML and a fuckton of heatsinks, six MPL, ER ML + ER LL, all are excellent. Good at ridgeline peeking, and very good at staying alive if you can torso twist. The same applies in quickplay, but those traits are less useful in QP OFC.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Hellbringer is very much a CW mech

it still works in solo/group play but the style doesn't really mesh with what goons like to do

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Well, I bought the B because it was cheaper. Then you guys reminded me of the Mint Frog Marmoset and I realized you could run 4 MGs on a Hellbringer. So I built a Mech around that idea. Trigger Warning: This is a bad mech

Mint Frog Memorial Robot

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I like the HBR even though its kind of a piece of poo poo

Brawling HBR
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=230&l=11ee1108024d53887efc9d7eca1bc633045da667

Other Brawling HBR
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=230&l=097961c6cf2f1c5aa34526da078f72b05f415fab

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Pattonesque posted:

Hellbringer is very much a CW mech

it still works in solo/group play but the style doesn't really mesh with what goons like to do

Nah, a LB-20 and as many SPL's as you can fit. It'll do. :parrot:

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Dont you idiots dare post bad HBR builds like those.

HBR-Pulse
HBR-Gauss+Med
HBR-LB20+SPL

There.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

HBR isn't really solid enough at close range to hold up to abuse, I don't care for the LB20 builds, have run similar in the past. Gauss used to be great before the gauss nerf, now it's... okay. I much prefer to put it in the torso though, clan CASE makes it safe, it's higher up, better protected, and means you can strip the arm for tonnage. The pulse build is wicked in CW and I always run it in my drops, but it's mediocre in QP.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting sick of cheater this, cheater that in mumble and so is everyone one else. From now on when I hear about people whining over dying because they think the other guy is cheating, I'm going to global mute them. You're all loving adults here and this is just a goddamn video game. If you can't handle losing, maybe stick to single player games.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Skoll posted:

I'm getting sick of cheater this, cheater that in mumble and so is everyone one else. From now on when I hear about people whining over dying because they think the other guy is cheating, I'm going to global mute them. You're all loving adults here and this is just a goddamn video game. If you can't handle losing, maybe stick to single player games.

Yes I agree, please less complaining about cheating. It does happen but is likely significantly rarer than is widely believed

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Skoll posted:

Ditto

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Next time we play a unit noted for being cheating dickbags, I think we should turn it from skirmish to easter egg mode. Everyone scatters to the four points of the wind and shuts down, then we take bets on how long it takes for them to find them instantly. Same amount of c-bills, actually might show who cheats.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

This is why I muted you.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Random Number posted:

Dont you idiots dare post bad HBR builds like those.

HBR-LB20+SPL

There.

You get better DPS and better heat management if you ditch the right arms SPL and armor and bring two more DHS.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Great Beer posted:

You get better DPS and better heat management if you ditch the right arms SPL and armor and bring two more DHS.

This game is, and always had been, about alpha damage. Every little bit counts. If those 2 hs buy you another alpha then sure, but I don't think they do unless I mathed wrong.

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012
gently caress all the cheaters in this game and every other game.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Eatpants posted:

gently caress all the cheaters in this game and every other game.

Qft but really most goons are just bad at the game or running poo poo builds or something. Run only 4 dudes and only take heavies and assaults or brolic mediums and you'll always at least do the lions share of damage as a lance in a given match, if not win.

Cheese the game.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Random Number posted:

Qft but really most goons are just bad at the game or running poo poo builds or something. Run only 4 dudes and only take heavies and assaults or brolic mediums and you'll always at least do the lions share of damage as a lance in a given match, if not win.

Cheese the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have played again.

Confirming bad.

• Locked thread