Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Let us all remember that among his many missteps and evil deeds, Trump tweeted thinly veiled mean things about L.L. Bean.

So he definitely is not above calling out every law firm that turns him down, no matter how stupid that makes him look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

Did you mean could be confirmed? Either way, I think the FBI directorship is a special case: Republicans may not be willing to force through a partisan hack for that one specific job but will force on through for anything else.

I don't think there were 50 votes for them in the senate. There are probably 3 or 4 republican senators who made it known they won't vote for a hack.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Trump: I'll give your agency unlimited money and no oversight if you help me against my enemies.

FBI: Don't mind me, I'm just recording all our conversations to hand over verbatim to the inevitable special counsel.
NSA: Ooh, good idea, I'm gonna do that too.
CIA: I need to return some tapes to the BND, DGSE and MI6.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hilariously Assange is defending Reality Winner ( :laugh: ) while Greenwald does not. I used to ask what reality was, and now I know. We all know now.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

DaveWoo posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/maddow/status/872110687849508865

Guess she survived the poisoning attempt after all. Good for her.

They could just be Weekend at Bernie's-ing her.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BarbarianElephant posted:

The Chelsea Manning leaks revealed some very bad behavior on the part of US troops, and general political skullduggery. But not really any shameful treacherous behaviour of powerful politicians as the Trump/Russia links (if they are what we suspect they are.)

Yeah, as critical as I am of the Dems and some of Obama's policies, the level of treachery and nihilism that the Trump-era Republicans is...something else. This party must never again be allowed to have control over the government.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Boon posted:

Nah, it goes to the very heart of protecting information. You feel entitled but there is no reason for you to have access, and frankly, you and the public at large are a terrible judge of what should and should not be available.

this is supposed to be a democracy. i am entitled to it. how else am i to make informed voting decisions?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Xibanya posted:

Hilariously Assange is defending Reality Winner ( :laugh: ) while Greenwald does not. I used to ask what reality was, and now I know. We all know now.

Of course he is. She just gave his boss Putin a briefing on the investigations into his meddling. Now he knows what we know and how we know it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I don't think there were 50 votes for them in the senate. There are probably 3 or 4 republican senators who made it known they won't vote for a hack.

Ok yeah. I think that all three of the names you suggested would have accepted if they could be confirmed but turned it down because they couldn't be and why go through the process if you won't be.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

citybeatnik posted:

They could just be Weekend at Bernie's-ing her.

I'm pretty sure thats the lefts current strategy for the 2020 elections.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is supposed to be a democracy. i am entitled to it.

no part of democracy means entitlement to any information you want, it is entirely consistent with a democracy that a democratic government legitimately passes laws that restrict public access to certain information

Groovelord Neato posted:

how else am i to make informed voting decisions?

through the necessary information becoming public through an oversight process

the problem is the oversight process isn't working, not with the concept of an oversight process

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

My biggest source of optimism in these trying days remains the knowledge that our would-be dictator is demonstrating an exceptional talent for pissing off both his spymasters and his soldiers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

evilweasel posted:

no part of democracy means entitlement to any information you want, it is entirely consistent with a democracy that a democratic government legitimately passes laws that restrict public access to certain information

our two biggest allies in the war on terror were/are the two biggest sponsors of terrorism. i do not trust the people thinking the information they have pertaining to these subjects have my best interest at heart.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

our two biggest allies in the war on terror were/are the two biggest state sponsors of terrorism. i do not trust the people thinking the information they have pertaining to these subjects have my best interest at heart.

what you want in this particular situation and what democracy demands because it's a democracy are two different things

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

our two biggest allies in the war on terror were/are the two biggest sponsors of terrorism. i do not trust the people thinking the information they have pertaining to these subjects have my best interest at heart.

Or maybe you just don't know everything you think you do. The world is a complex place and most people aren't equipped to deal with that, so there's some poo poo you just don't have any business knowing.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

quote:

“The concerns were, ‘The guy won’t pay and he won’t listen,’” said one lawyer close to the White House

loving lol, when firms like Kirkland & Ellis and Sullivan Cromwell don't want to represent the President of the United States because he's a deadbeat buffoon.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ReidRansom posted:

Or maybe you just don't know everything you think you do.

if only there was some method to inform me.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/anniekarni/status/871929213158338560

loving... of course

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is supposed to be a democracy. i am entitled to it. how else am i to make informed voting decisions?

This is increasingly stupid

"Unless I know literally everything our government is doing, I can't even begin to guess how I should vote!"

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The printer steg thing they used to identify the Intercept source is basically invisible unless you know it's already there, right? It's a colossal fuckup on their part to not know about it already, but accidentally overlooking an identification code printed in tiny yellow dots seems like a much more plausible theory than Greenwald intentionally destroying the credibility of his own news organization because Russia paid him off or whatever.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/872115594597998592

Hell yeah throw up a Facebook Live too

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol this will end swimmingly for him.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Being suspicious of IC is good, but in the US at least you can rely on them being on your side in the grand scheme of things. They may behave in misguided ways and do things they really shouldn't do, but at the end of the day they are both loyal and accountable to you in some form or fashion, directly or indirectly.

Russia on the other hand is a blatant adversary and absolutely wants to undermine and weaken the US in every way possible. And swinging a democratic election is a really, really good way to do this. It represents a clear and present danger, perhaps even an existential threat in the long run if it continues unabated.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The printer steg thing they used to identify the Intercept source is basically invisible unless you know it's already there, right? It's a colossal fuckup on their part to not know about it already, but accidentally overlooking an identification code printed in tiny yellow dots seems like a much more plausible theory than Greenwald intentionally destroying the credibility of his own news organization because Russia paid him off or whatever.

Not knowing steg markings would be present on a printed intel doc destroys the credibility of his news organization.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Not knowing steg markings would be present on a printed intel doc destroys the credibility of his news organization.

It would have taken what 5 seconds to remove all the page borders and that one crease from the scan?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Boon posted:

Nah, it goes to the very heart of protecting information. You feel entitled but there is no reason for you to have access, and frankly, you and the public at large are a terrible judge of what should and should not be available.

IT is however, why we have oversight, regulatory, Congress, and other mechanisms of discovery to help protect the interest of the public.

If there's a problem, it's with the latter not the former.

Do *any* of those oversight mechanisms appear to be doing their job right now?

You keep acting like the classification system deserves respect despite the fact that it is literally entirely based on the authority and judgement of our current president, an Alzheimer's-ridden narcissistic baboon man.

Edit: who would already be criminally charged if he weren't a Republican President

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 6, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

It must REALLY annoy Trump that literally everyone trusts Comey more than him. And Jared thought firing Comey would be a political win! LOL

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Lol kellyann's husband won't work for Trump

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

This probably seems like the worst possible thing he could do?

EDIT: To try to make this Russia thing go away, I mean.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

repeating posted:

It would have taken what 5 seconds to remove all the page borders and that one crease from the scan?

Or just retype the drat thing. Or run it through a photocopy filter in Photoshop.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

The Washington Post posted:

Yahoo News reported Tuesday that four different major law firms declined to represent Trump in the investigations into his campaign’s possible relationship with Russian actors during the 2016 campaign.

:thunk:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kammat posted:

"Hey, we have a request from a big name client to come on board."

"Nice, who?"

"President Trump."

"NOPE!"

"But he's paying double our usual rates! "

"NOOOOOOPE! I like our reputation, the rest of our clients would run for the hills!"

"He said if we don't he'd tweet very mean things about us!"

LOL at the guy who thinks he would get paid.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This seems like an exceptionally bad idea, even for Trump.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

He sure is one hell of an entertainer.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The man gets stupider by the day. And he's really taking this whole thing very, very personally.

Groovelord Neato posted:

if only there was some method to inform me.

If you feel so strongly that you need to know, go get a job where you need to know.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

He sure is one hell of an entertainer.

You joke, but he really, really cares about ratings. He cited that to be one of the reasons for liking Spicer - because his press briefings have great ratings.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Chilichimp posted:

Right, I'm wondering about it in a more technical respect. Maybe I'm not squinting enough but I can't see the dots on the PDF images they have on the site, I'm assuming they're light enough to be close to invisible but easy to see and analyze once you adjust the contrast or something like that.

They must be in panic mode over at the Intercept. No article acknowledging their fuckup yet or even an edit on the original article.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

The man gets stupider by the day. And he's really taking this whole thing very, very personally.

No dude, don't you see? He's just PRETENDING to lose his poo poo behind the scenes, and just LETTING White House leakers think he's a complete manbaby without the slightest hint of emotional intelligence. He's the ultimate puppetmaster troll, maaaaaaan~

(no, he's just a fragile stupid manchild who knows in his heart of hearts that poo poo's crumbling all around him)

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

First thing I thought of when I heard the source got nailed. You gotta transposed that poo poo dawg. Especially if it's digital.

Rookie mistake by the Intercept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Few pages back

WeAreTheRomans posted:

In fairness, I think 2000 did create a big stigma on 3rd party voting

You know, I'd say the same if it weren't for the fact both the major third parties sported morons who knew less about government than Trump does.

• Locked thread