Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I enjoy your television but miss some of the cultural things. Why does everyone hate Piers Morgan and think Simon Cowell is gay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Ariza posted:

I enjoy your television but miss some of the cultural things. Why does everyone hate Piers Morgan and think Simon Cowell is gay?

I didn't know anyone thought Simon Cowell was gay, but everyone hates Piers Morgan Moron because he's a pointless, smug, lying oval office.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Ariza posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QfW58Efcck
http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/the-forgetful-piers-morgan.html

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 9, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've never really heard the Simon Cowell is gay thing, but Piers Morgan is just a slimy, :smug: arsehole of a man.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
More specifically, as editor of the Daily Mirror, Piers Morgan Moron* knowingly printed faked images that put the lives of British soldiers in danger, in order to sell more papers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3716151.stm

* it's a Private Eye thing.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Simon Cowell is in the closet is a pretty well known running joke, but it's nothing more than that. Surprised people in this thread haven't heard of it, it's the punchline on HIGNFY quite a lot. It's because he's slightly camp, has never married and gets botox and stuff. He could be bi but as far as I know he's shagging young models left and right.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

And everyone thinks Simon Cowell is gay because he keeps appearing in the tabloids with dubious stories about how heterosexual he is, all the women he's slept with etc. The last time the gay rumours were big he responded with five kiss and tell stories from women within about a week, reeks of Max Clifford.

The rumour is that he doesn't want to come out while his mum's still alive.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Didn't a lot of the Cowell rumours start after a Louis Theroux on Max Clifford where they went to a photoshoot with Cowell and model and Clifford implied it was to make him look straight?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

One Swell Foop posted:

More specifically, as editor of the Daily Mirror, Piers Morgan Moron* knowingly printed faked images that put the lives of British soldiers in danger, in order to sell more papers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3716151.stm

* it's a Private Eye thing.

Basically, said idiot thought with his massive ego he could out smug the curret Private Eye editor on national telly in Have I Got News For You.

It didn't work out very well for him.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Ddraig posted:

So I recently watched an old David Thewlis documentary about Blackpool because I read it was a strong influence on the League of Gentleman/Psychoville, and wow they were right.

There's literally a segment where an owner of a hotel blacks up with gravy browning, wears a wig and performs "Simply the Best" to a bunch of hotel patrons.

That was probably the funniest bit of anything they ever did and it's amazing to find out that it was actually based on real-life. You literally couldn't make it up :stare:

Its like that old doc about Blue Tulip Rose Eidelweiss Warb (or whatever her name was who was totally hatstand and obsessed with Mike Reid, the old radio one dj/Saturday superstore host.

Ah, here we go, a sterling example of care in the community.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NlGFVadESY

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Whitefish posted:

Does anyone know when the new series of Peep Show starts? I heard it was supposed to be in November, but I haven't seen any adverts for it or anything.
A coworker announced this morning that apparently the new series starts next week. When I pressed him for the source of this information he explained that he has "an app" on his phone which told him so. Take it as you will

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Dicky B posted:

A coworker announced this morning that apparently the new series starts next week. When I pressed him for the source of this information he explained that he has "an app" on his phone which told him so. Take it as you will

Just checked the Radio Time website and TVRage, and the Episodes app, there's no new Peep Show for at least 2 weeks (all that's listed on the Radio Times is repeats on Dave).

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

Dicky B posted:

onoflalks posted:

Just checked the Radio Time website and TVRage, and the Episodes app, there's no new Peep Show for at least 2 weeks (all that's listed on the Radio Times is repeats on Dave).

I guess they're waiting until Fresh Meat finishes at least. I haven't been watching it though, so I don't know how far they are with it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can anyone remember a C4 show in the early 2000s that was run alongside Banzai (I think) called Experimental ? There's virtually nothing about it on the internet, but it was a lot of fun. Essentially a hidden video show that put people in stupid situations with a faux scientific commentary running over it. One of my favourites was the guy in the restaurant who wanted more and more cheese, until his plate had about a foot of grated cheese on it and the manager pleading with him because he'd used all their stock.

Ooh looks like there's a few clips up on YT now, not wonderful quality for the most part but this was a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElAbUTdaOUI

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Just finished watching "Attenborough's Ark: Natural World Special" in which he selects ten animals that he would put on a hypothetical ark, and explains the reasons why he chose them.

As with all his stuff, it makes for pretty interesting viewing.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Saw that Irn Bru bottles are now all festive with The Snowman on them in Tesco today.

Do channel 4 still show it at christmas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgTpoy91nWo

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Geokinesis posted:

Saw that Irn Bru bottles are now all festive with The Snowman on them in Tesco today.

Do channel 4 still show it at christmas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgTpoy91nWo
Yes, but this year they're showing a sequel

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Surely you both mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wMs5bUkjO0

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
These guys seem to keep a pretty comprehensive list of air dates
http://www.geektown.co.uk/uk-air-dates/

CydonianKnight
May 7, 2007

What do you want? Toothpaste in my eye!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20284124

So George Entwistle has resigned.

When I look at the BBC, I feel like I'm watching some slave being gored to death in an amphitheatre. Murdoch must be loving this.

On one side, you have the BBC being slammed for not naming someone publicly as a paedophile and on the other you have this resignation over accidentally implicating an MP in the scandal.

Contrast this to ITV, where Philip Schofield gives the PM a list of ''suspected paedos'' that he copied off of the internet after just three minutes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FpFQ3hDyRI). You don't have evidence, you just want to name names.

Well guess what naming names does to people's careers. I'll give you a clue - this one used to present your programme.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
I think presenting This Morning just erodes your mind after a number of years. Madeley became obsessed with being hip, current and unbuttoning his shirt whenever his wife wasn't there. Schofield now seems to think he's a hard hitting journalist not a Kids TV presenter, who spent years presenting poo poo like Talking Telephone Numbers inbetween deciding whether or not to dye his hair. Mind you I suppose long term exposure to the talentless black hole that is Holly Willoughby is enough to make anyone think they're David Frost in comparison.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I'll be honest, I'm petrified that this will result in a break up of The BBC or an all out pack your bags move, but there are so many theories floating about it makes my head hurt. Main being that this is all a Tory conspiracy to gently caress over the Beeb and media pre Levevinson, faulty reporting, coverup of major Pedo rings, etc.

I wholly doubt I will know for sure in my life, and if these people have suffered so (thats another theory, money!) they will die, too, without any justice. I hate the world a lot of time, but the bar always gets lowered.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

I hadn't seen this yet, reading about it I thought Schofield had actually read some of the names aloud to Cameron on air, which would have been completely mental.

To be fair to big Dave, the response he gives is 100% the correct answer.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Hoops posted:

I hadn't seen this yet, reading about it I thought Schofield had actually read some of the names aloud to Cameron on air, which would have been completely mental.

To be fair to big Dave, the response he gives is 100% the correct answer.

Cameron was good for yanking Schofield by the nose hairs and having a go, but he is the only one so far to suggest a gay/kiddy diddle link (even if just percieved). So I'd say it was a draw of twats.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Trickjaw posted:

Cameron was good for yanking Schofield by the nose hairs and having a go, but he is the only one so far to suggest a gay/kiddy diddle link (even if just percieved). So I'd say it was a draw of twats.
I don't think he was the first, I've seen other people commenting on it and I've noticed it a bit myself. I've seen stories about so-and-so being gay being mentioned in the same articles about this supposed paedophile ring and I'm not sure that some people who are leading this charge see much of a difference. Even the stories about women being groped or harassed, which while pretty reprehensible, have nothing to do with paedophilic activities. But they're all put out under the same banner.

I'm really making two points in those two sentences though. a) I think there is a subtle implication going on that gays and paedophiles are somehow linked (from some corners), and b) the whole thing is an attack on the BBC more than anything else.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Hoops posted:

I'm really making two points in those two sentences though. a) I think there is a subtle implication going on that gays and paedophiles are somehow linked (from some corners), and b) the whole thing is an attack on the BBC more than anything else.

A: Please, please say this is not a view you subscribe to
B: Naturally, as if they needed the help to smack themselves about
C: Please, please say you don't subscribe to A
D: Country done. Everyone out. Time to find Atlantis, or something.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Trickjaw posted:

A: Please, please say this is not a view you subscribe to
Come on, seriously? The first half of the post was complaining that that implication is going on.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I think Brown Moses linked to a youtube clip of the Schofield/Cameron thing, I don't know if any of you get popbitch but in their latest mail they pointed out it's pretty hypocritical of Schofield to just say he found pedophile accusations from Google. He was after all the victim of internet rumours in the early 2000s suggesting he was in a gay relationship with Jason Donovan, rumours he rebutted with a "you can't trust any of the nonsense on the internet" line but also "There's too many broken hearts in the world".

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Hoops posted:

Come on, seriously? The first half of the post was complaining that that implication is going on.

Well, this may be turning into a derail, so I will just say, it never hurts to check. As long as you are one of us filthy long haired commies, your right b'me, son.

(you also have to religousely like the programs I do) I was amazazed we mourned Clive Dunn, but not Bill Tarmey.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That's still a great advert. Hell most of Irn Bru's ads are great and people who get upset at them have no sense of humour.

That ad with the gran on the mobility scooter, man, indicative of better, more hopeful times :allears:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Nov 11, 2012

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Zooquest and other old Attenborough programmes from the 50s and 60s are up on the BBC web archive. It's fascinating how attitudes have changed since then. Also weird seeing him as a young man.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

ConanThe3rd posted:

That's still a great advert. Hell most of Irn Bru's ads are great and people who get upset at them have no sense of humour.

That ad with the gran on the mobility scooter, man, indicative of better, more hopeful times :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibuLgsVcQUY

Their lorries are pretty funny too

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Attenborough's Ark episode of Natural world is simply wonderful. The joy he takes in animals and nature is evident throughout, and who doesn't want to spend an hour watching exotic animals and David Attenborough?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I don't even need the animals.

What is the general opinion on Nigel Farage as a politician? I only know him from Auto-Tune the News for saying Belgium isn't a real country.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

toanoradian posted:

What is the general opinion on Nigel Farage as a politician? I only know him from Auto-Tune the News for saying Belgium isn't a real country.

He's a joke, leader of a fringe racist party.

Any excuse to post these pictures of what happened when he tried to campaign by air-

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

toanoradian posted:

UKIP are the middle class BNP and Farage is an obnoxious poo poo.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Trickjaw posted:

I'll be honest, I'm petrified that this will result in a break up of The BBC or an all out pack your bags move, but there are so many theories floating about it makes my head hurt. Main being that this is all a Tory conspiracy to gently caress over the Beeb and media pre Levevinson, faulty reporting, coverup of major Pedo rings, etc.

I wholly doubt I will know for sure in my life, and if these people have suffered so (thats another theory, money!) they will die, too, without any justice. I hate the world a lot of time, but the bar always gets lowered.

I don't understand why so many seem to have their knives out when it comes to Auntie. It's one of our national institutions! Something to be proud of :smith:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You don't understand why media organs owned by the BBC's competitors are out to get it? The government just hates it because they pay for it but can't tell it what to say.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

marktheando posted:

He's a joke, leader of a fringe racist party.

Any excuse to post these pictures of what happened when he tried to campaign by air-

Odd. I have never laughed at a plane crash before, but there you are. Nigel is a joke panel show contestant, who irks the Europeans, and will never set foot in Parliament legitimately.

Oh, and is a oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

spincube posted:

I don't understand why so many seem to have their knives out when it comes to Auntie. It's one of our national institutions! Something to be proud of :smith:

Why is the BBC called auntie? Its so very dystopian sounding