Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Tofu is not a meat replacement.

Tofu is tofu.

Good tofu is good tofu.

Bad tofu is bad tofu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Saturday morning breakfasts: Husband makes yam/yellow potato hash browns, I make bacon and slice fruit. He always asks if I want an egg. I always say no. He dishes out my hashbrowns, then cracks 2 eggs into the middle of his. I slice an avocado over whole grain bread with dairy free butter and a touch of salt, and most times slap my bacon on top of the 'cado.

Eggs are gross.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Hello, how may I condescend you today?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Echeveria posted:

Saturday morning breakfasts: Husband makes yam/yellow potato hash browns, I make bacon and slice fruit. He always asks if I want an egg. I always say no. He dishes out my hashbrowns, then cracks 2 eggs into the middle of his. I slice an avocado over whole grain bread with dairy free butter and a touch of salt, and most times slap my bacon on top of the 'cado.

Eggs are gross.

I believe that dairy free butter is margarine. That's gross! At least eggs aren't pretending to be something they are not. (Otherwise both breakfasts sound good).

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Sjurygg posted:

Hello, how may I condescend you today?

whut how was that condescending? It wasn't meant that way at all :(

therattle, I am allergic to casein so I can't have real butter. Otherwise, there would be real butter. Most margarine has milk solids added to it, so I have to use either vegan becel, which tastes like garbage, or Earth Balance, which tastes better. Nothing is as good as real butter.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Margarine is an insult to all that is good in this world.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Echeveria posted:

therattle, I am allergic to casein so I can't have real butter. Otherwise, there would be real butter. Most margarine has milk solids added to it, so I have to use either vegan becel, which tastes like garbage, or Earth Balance, which tastes better. Nothing is as good as real butter.

Really good olive oil is as good as real butter. It is in fact better.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What about for baking? I can see myself using olive oil on my toast, but for cookies and things, I feel like the texture would be weird? Right now I use Earth Balance in my baking.

Dairy free sucks. I dream about cheese.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's great, but it's not the same.

See; Tofu.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Oh bullshit. It's apples and oranges.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Oh bullshit. It's meat and tofu.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Echeveria posted:

What about for baking? I can see myself using olive oil on my toast, but for cookies and things, I feel like the texture would be weird? Right now I use Earth Balance in my baking.

Dairy free sucks. I dream about cheese.

Lard for baking.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

guppy posted:

The girl I'm seeing told me on Sunday that she doesn't order eggs out anymore because they're never as good as mine, which is about the best kind of compliment there is. Thanks Jacques Pepin!

:colbert:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I use only high-grade duck fat for any purpose.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Echeveria posted:

Earth Balance

:laugh:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

guppy posted:

The girl I'm seeing told me on Sunday that she doesn't order eggs out anymore because they're never as good as mine, which is about the best kind of compliment there is. Thanks Auguste Escoffier!

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

:( I know but my allergy is significant enough that just ignoring it isn't an option.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I am totally not kidding about lard for baking. Your pie crusts and biscuits will thank me.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

And thus did the Goons With Spoons Ouroboros begin to consume itself.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Echeveria posted:

Very good, carry on. You poor bastard... That must be very difficult.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I am totally not kidding about lard for baking. Your pie crusts and biscuits will thank me.
Or shortening! The healthy lard!

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Mr. Wookums posted:

Or shortening! The healthy lard!

Lard is way better in all of the ways.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Might even be healthier.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

gently caress yeah just made a big rear end batch of XO sauce

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Echeveria posted:

:( I know but my allergy is significant enough that just ignoring it isn't an option.

What about ghee?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Haha, I just don't like being told that you might as well just eat Olive Garden and Taco Bell if you don't make your eggs with creme fraiche.
I don't think anyone's saying that. I don't even think Croatoan is saying that, and he's the one that brought up the whole `most restaurants that serve scrambled eggs do it lovely' (his quote) thing. And when he said that I said it had nothing to do with my point, because it doesn't. Because my point is that Gordon Ramsay has nothing to do with the method the internet seems to attribute to him. He didn't create the method (evidence: it has been documented in classic French sources for at least a century). He doesn't present a unique spin on the classic technique (like Keller often does by finicky attention to detail, or Blumenthal does by applying modernist/whatever methods). He just presents the literally textbook standard technique. I acknowledge that it is common to find eggs done other ways (e.g. any scrambled eggs you'll get out of a Denny's). But that has nothing to do with the point unless you think a recipe only `counts' (or however you want to say it) once it achieves mainstream popularity in the US.

I didn't say that the classic French way is the `correct' way to do eggs (although Croatoan implies that I did). I didn't say that it's the most common way of preparing eggs everywhere, or in the US, or whatever, (like you and Drink and Fight imply). And I didn't say that if you don't like eggs the classic French way you might as well eat at Olive loving Garden. I mean don't let me stand in the way of a good rant or whatever, but that's all poo poo I just didn't say.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You guys are literally arguing over who gets credit for a particular style of scrambled eggs. Look at yourself in the mirror, and say "Who invented this style of scrambled eggs matters deeply to me." And then see how long you're able to look yourself in the eye.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

bloody ramsay
bloody ramsay
bloody ramsay

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You guys are literally arguing over who gets credit for a particular style of scrambled eggs.
Don't be silly. We're arguing over whether or not I'm an elitist prick.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Pretty sure that was settled ages ago.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

SubG posted:

Didn't realise that was ever disputed.

It was so much fun hanging out with Wrought and Mr. Wrought (who is a grade-A QTpie). My brother and family were rather surprised when I showed up at their door (as I usually call them when I arrive at the bus station, or book the tickets to VA), but were happy that I turned up in such a way. It was a really nice and relaxing trip, and the kids have grown up so much. Not even ONE meltdown the whole time I was there. That was shocking. Hopefully plan on invading the Wroughts again some time soon.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GrAviTy84 posted:

gently caress yeah just made a big rear end batch of XO sauce

nice, recipe?

I have been wanting to make my own because I ~~~love~~~ XO sauce (and then that david chang mind of a chef episode got me all like 'drat why have I never thought about making XO sauce'.)

I like oyster and fish sauce too but that's where I draw the line - gently caress trying to make that poo poo. the brands I love are good enough anyways~!!

god I love salty poo poo too much, sum1 bout to make me fixxin to go in da kitchen and eat a tbsp of straight up oyster sauce :damnsonwheredyoufindthis.aiff:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

dino. posted:

Didn't realise that was ever disputed.

It was so much fun hanging out with Wrought and Mr. Wrought (who is a grade-A QTpie). My brother and family were rather surprised when I showed up at their door (as I usually call them when I arrive at the bus station, or book the tickets to VA), but were happy that I turned up in such a way. It was a really nice and relaxing trip, and the kids have grown up so much. Not even ONE meltdown the whole time I was there. That was shocking. Hopefully plan on invading the Wroughts again some time soon.

Let's see... Dino and I spent the day going to random food stores and then he cooked (I chopped a veg or two) a fantastic, multi-dish spread for dinner. I just today finished off the last of the leftovers.

Best Houseguest.

Yup, feel free to invade anytime! (though preferably with a little more notice than you give your brother!)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

nice, recipe?

I have been wanting to make my own because I ~~~love~~~ XO sauce (and then that david chang mind of a chef episode got me all like 'drat why have I never thought about making XO sauce'.)

I like oyster and fish sauce too but that's where I draw the line - gently caress trying to make that poo poo. the brands I love are good enough anyways~!!

god I love salty poo poo too much, sum1 bout to make me fixxin to go in da kitchen and eat a tbsp of straight up oyster sauce :damnsonwheredyoufindthis.aiff:

I followed david chang's for the most part. His was a bit dry so I added more oil. I also added shallots because his didn't have any, as well as fresh red chiles instead of dry. I used sichuan bacon instead of country ham, and also added a bit of dry abalone. You can play with other dried seafood, too. Whelk, oysters. Maybe chinese sausage instead of bacon if you dont have access. Seems pretty flexible and fun to make into your own ratios.

https://www.kitchenmonki.com/recipe/Xo_Sauce

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

SubG posted:

I'm an elitist prick.

You are but it's part of your charm. Kind of like how I give bad advice but REALLY PASSIONATELY. Also you made a great line about pancakes in a can so chill. All I was saying was that a bunch of folks in GWS "saw the light" when they saw the video and attributed the technique to Ramsay. Not that he invented them but that "hey dude showed me how to make scrambled eggs in a way that doesn't suck because usually scrambled eggs suck"

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O5WDPSpI1A
Fanny Cradock would like to talk to you about eggs.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Croatoan posted:

You are but it's part of your charm. Kind of like how I give bad advice but REALLY PASSIONATELY. Also you made a great line about pancakes in a can so chill. All I was saying was that a bunch of folks in GWS "saw the light" when they saw the video and attributed the technique to Ramsay. Not that he invented them but that "hey dude showed me how to make scrambled eggs in a way that doesn't suck because usually scrambled eggs suck"
I don't think scrambled eggs usually suck. I don't think scrambled eggs made in the traditional French way are the only kind that don't suck. Indeed, I think there are some applications where they would suck---fried rice, brains and eggs, egg and huitlacoche tacos, for example. But I'm sure that's just my ~*cultural elitism*~ talking.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm on a business trip to NYC, will probably be coming back every week well into the new year. I just had the best katsu curry I've had in years, topped off with some fantastic pistachio gelato. Burp.

I need to keep eating on my own; last night we had a team dinner at a nice Italian place. Except that it was a family-style place so we had to share. One guy claimed a garlic allergy, one gal claimed a fish allergy (ALL fish and shellfish), and finally the other gal offered this: "Veal is cruel. [pout]"

gently caress you, if I'm at a decent Italian place I want seafood AND veal. And don't get me started on no-garlic guy.

Hey Dino, you still in NYC? If so, I'd like to take you out to your favorite vegan joint.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

SubG posted:

I don't think scrambled eggs usually suck. I don't think scrambled eggs made in the traditional French way are the only kind that don't suck. Indeed, I think there are some applications where they would suck---fried rice, brains and eggs, egg and huitlacoche tacos, for example. But I'm sure that's just my ~*cultural elitism*~ talking.

Scrambled eggs should definitely be somewhat firmer than French style for breakfast burritos as well, but dry is still unacceptable in all of those applications. There is a happy medium between dry crumbly poo poo and perfect creamy French eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

SubG posted:

I think it's hilarious that the internet has attributed scrambled loving eggs to Gordon Ramsay. I mean power to the people, it's great people are learning poo poo, and all that. But it ain't even like some spergy refinement of some classic thing like you see Keller or Blumenthal or whoever doing. It's just the standard default loving thing. Except I guess at like loving Denny's or whatever.

I don't doubt for a moment that this is 100% true, but I've eaten scrambled eggs not only at lots of restaurants but also at lots of other people's houses, and at none of them have they been done well. Gordon Ramsay is the man who taught me how to do it properly, and I appreciate him for that. That's all. Neither I nor Ramsay have claimed anything further. In fact, he comments in that video that he asks new cooks in the kitchen to make scrambled eggs, so he can see if they do it right, which is pretty much an endorsement of what you said. I am not a professional chef and I only started to take cooking seriously last year, and if learning to do it right means learning from a Gordon Ramsay video, I'm good with that.