Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

little munchkin posted:

What upgrades should I prioritize with the first Mantis ship? I keep ending up dirt-poor from repairs and having to run away from drone ships. Is there even anything the base ship can do against a drone with lvl 1 shields?

More crew and better dodging/shields, IMO. And no, you can't do anything to drones unless you're willing to sacrifice crew to do it. If you get an L2 teleporter then you have just enough time to teleport back your crew before they die of suffocation, assuming they teleport in with full health. But I wouldn't prioritize L2 teleporter over the other things I mentioned.

EDIT: wait, poo poo, I got Mantis A and Mantis B confused. Disregard.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

little munchkin posted:

What upgrades should I prioritize with the first Mantis ship? I keep ending up dirt-poor from repairs and having to run away from drone ships. Is there even anything the base ship can do against a drone with lvl 1 shields?

Bomb shields and fire away. Unless it has very threatening weapons, in which case either run or bomb their weapons room and then shields. You need a bit of luck and therefore time and if the drone's weapons are threatening you should just run away from it. You should sell mantis pheromones at the first store and buy a decent weapon to deal with enemy shields, or if you don't find a store upgrade your shields so you can survive encounters for long enough to take out the enemies.

If you upgrade your teleporter you'll probably be able to board a drone and teleport back in time to destroy 1 system and heal your crew. I forgot if that needs 1 or 2 extra bars, but I think 1 extra bar is enough. Use it to disable the drone's weapons room while you use a bomb to take out the shields.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Level 2 teleporter is indeed enough, though you have very little wriggle room and will likely lose your boarders if anything goes wrong.

Recently I had to reinstall FTL on my iPad, so I've had to re-unlock all the ships once more. I think the one I took longest to unlock was Stealth B - all the others were comparatively easy, even the Crystal ships, though I cheesed that one with the Rock C.

Guessing I should probably move up to Normal from Easy soon - on an average game, if I can pass the first couple of sectors, I usually end up facing the Flagship with every system maxed out and maximum energy.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What's the most annoying situation in this game for you? I especially hate early game runner ships. Nothing is worse than trying to disable piloting on a ship trying to run away, only for your crappy early weapon to miss at the wrong moment, while their weapons tear away at you and you gain nothing. gently caress runners.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Drone ships when I'm playing mantis or another ship that's mostly focused on boarding.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Runners are bullshit, agreed.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

enemy ships with missiles plus anything that gets in the way of me taking them out asap

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

in the captain's edition mod, mine launchers

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Probably having to go through a Rock controlled sector at all. Rock Sectors have a very high chance of solar flares, asteroid fields and 'nothing happens, also a Rockman taunts you'. Rock Plating and a full Rockman crew means that taking down enemy ships is tedious whether you're a gunship or boarding ship, and lots of missiles + flak means that you're not getting out of battles unscathed without stellar defenses. Late game Abandoned Sectors can be hard but you get loads of scrap out of it should you survive, Rock sectors are just a gigantic slog.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Later game Engi sectors. Dealing with the double defense II drones is so goddamn frustrating.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Rockmen are bad because gently caress missiles.

Engi are bad because gently caress untouchable ships and nigh‐instant repairs, but their sectors have enough HOLY CRAP A WEAPON JUST FLOATING IN SPACE events to make up for it.

Lanius are bad because gently caress ships I can’t board and boarders I have to fight Marquess of Queensberry style. I feel like I get less scrap in their sectors, but that may well be my imagination.

Zoltan have their super shields, but they’re only really annoying in the early game and only with certain ship loadouts.

Mantis can be death to things like engi ships, but they’re so hilariously inept at damage control that I usually view them as piñatas.

Slugs, though: slugs are the goddamn worst. Their events are manageable and their race intrinsics are minor, but they’re more likely to fly That loving Ship than any other race. You know that ship. It’s the one that’s dodging all your shots as it charges its glaive beam and teleports a breach bomb into your shields.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 13, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mantis, rebel and pirate are definitely my favorite sectors and I always go for them.

It seems to me like zoltan enemy ships are less likely to have a missile weapon but I don't know if that's true.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Platystemon posted:

That loving Ship

Oh yeah, everyone knows That loving Ship. Which is why you don't neglect upgrading your engines to level 4 and run for your life ASAP. :v:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I don't usually care about mods, but the Flagship Randomizer is legitimately cool and has completely refreshed the game for me.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Shibawanko posted:

It seems to me like zoltan enemy ships are less likely to have a missile weapon but I don't know if that's true.

It wouldn't surprise me, Zoltan being the immaterial higher-plane jerks that they are.

Platystemon posted:

Rockmen are bad because gently caress missiles.

Engi are bad because gently caress untouchable ships and nigh‐instant repairs, but their sectors have enough HOLY CRAP A WEAPON JUST FLOATING IN SPACE events to make up for it.

You aim for rockman sectors if you have a defense drone, and for engi sectors if you have a boarding ship. Both ship styles have hard counters, is what I'm saying. But yeah, if you don't have that counter they may not be worth it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

JawnV6 posted:

With level 2 O2 can't you open a few doors and out-oxygen a single Lanius?

Yes, but in later sectors they will always come in pairs.

e: And yea slug sectors are annoying and I'll usually avoid them, abandoned, and nebula sectors.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 13, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I tend to think that bullshit RNG stuff in this game and That loving Ship are the price we pay for a game that doesn't have a road of least resistance. I really like how there really isn't a single best way to play this game, although there's a few options that are obviously better than others you have to improvise almost every run and roll with whatever the game gives you. I don't think that can be achieved without having some complete bullshit encounters at times. Still, gently caress runners.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yes, but in later sectors they will always come in pairs.

e: And yea slug sectors are annoying and I'll usually avoid them, abandoned, and nebula sectors.

You can sometimes get a nice blue event in nebula sectors if you upgrade your piloting.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 13, 2017

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
LRS and a decent fuel supply + the slower rebel advancement make them great for farming resources. gently caress rock sectors though.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shibawanko posted:

You can sometimes get a nice blue event in nebula sectors if you upgrade your piloting.

You don't need nebula sectors for that event, just nebula jumps. And yea I'll usually upgrade my piloting if I'm going to make several nebula jumps because that blue option seems really common and upgrading piloting is cheap enough to be worth it, even in the early game on hard.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I know I said “slugs are the goddamn worst”, but I still go through their sectors if I have LRS.

I often regret the decision, but I keep doing it because I’m a sucker for the possibility of picking up lots of scrap and a slug crewman.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’m curious what other people would do here. Early sector 5, since that matters for SRA calculus.

My answer: Sell the Ion Blast II and Combat I drone, buy the Weapon Pre‐igniter and Scrap Recovery Arm

Upgrade weapons to seven bars (Pike Beam, Flak I, and Hull Laser II), and leave with three scrap.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I would have sold the Hull Laser and Med-bots, and bought both Recovery Arms. Also get your weapons to 7 so you can power all of them simultaneously.

Either way, than run should be in the bag, but you might want some sort of missile defense. Which difficulty are you playing at?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hannibal Rex posted:

I would have sold the Hull Laser and Med-bots, and bought both Recovery Arms. Also get your weapons to 7 so you can power all of them simultaneously.

Either way, than run should be in the bag, but you might want some sort of missile defense. Which difficulty are you playing at?

Playing on hard.

I had the opportunity to buy cloaking earlier and couldn’t afford to spend 120 scrap on it. The same store had mind control, which I bought instead so I could bring down enemy evasion and make my flak/ion/combat drone hit. That worked surprisingly well, but enemies with three shields could be annoying, and 1 damage per room from the pike beam is not great. I probably should have upgrade my weapons power a few jumps earlier.

I haven’t seen a defence drone or hacking, but I can’t complain about that when I have a hull repair drone. I would have bought an ion weapon if I had ever come across a decent one. I wasn’t desperate enough for a heavy ion. :barf:

I like the pre‐igniter because there are a lot of weapons that become attractive with three slots and a pre‐igniter.

Buying a scrap recovery arm is greedy. I don’t think it helps me win the game, but it does inflate my score and I think I can win with the slight handicap.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 15, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Saw the EV Nova love, you should check out Endless Sky on steam. It's free too.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Platystemon posted:

Playing on hard.

I had the opportunity to buy cloaking earlier and couldn’t afford to spend 120 scrap on it. The same store had mind control, which I bought instead so I could bring down enemy evasion and make my flak/ion/combat drone hit. That worked surprisingly well, but enemies with three shields could be annoying, and 1 damage per room from the pike beam is not great. I probably should have upgrade my weapons power a few jumps earlier.

I haven’t seen a defence drone or hacking, but I can’t complain about that when I have a hull repair drone. I would have bought an ion weapon if I had ever come across a decent one. I wasn’t desperate enough for a heavy ion. :barf:

I like the pre‐igniter because there are a lot of weapons that become attractive with three slots and a pre‐igniter.

Buying a scrap recovery arm is greedy. I don’t think it helps me win the game, but it does inflate my score and I think I can win with the slight handicap.

Ion Blast 2 is the best ion weapon in the game though? Additionally like the BL2 and Flak1 I consider it one of the "end game" weapons. I mean hull laser 2 is perfectly serviceable too, but Halberd + ion blast 2 + flak 1 is great.

Pre-igniter is nice, but I think with the pike beam it wasn't worth it.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Oooh, let's see how close I get to whatever you've got in the spoiler tags...

Assuming the scrap works out, I'd sell the ion weapon and combat drone, buy the preigniter, install the hull laser II in your hold, pay to get all your weapons powered up simultaneously, and repair a bit if possible (or maybe just consume a repair drone). Then, in the future, I'd be on the lookout for a hacking system, second flak I, halberd or hull beam, and defense drone.

Reasoning: shield bash plus beam is always a good setup, even when the weapons are a bit mismatched as they are here. By adding a preigniter you get the ability to shoot their weapons up before they can fire a volley, by timing how you fire you can make sure that shots which hit are HL2 shots (mmm, breaches!), and since you have mind control and crewed sensors you can do this super reliably by MC'ing the enemy pilot on your first volley. You should have an easy path to the flagship. If you find a second flak 1 and upgrade the beam, it will be a death machine, but even if you can't it should still be good enough.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

Saw the EV Nova love, you should check out Endless Sky on steam. It's free too.

The problem with Endless Sky is that there's not really much in the way of plot there. You can grind up to nicer ships, but there's nothing much to do with them.

Transcendence is a better game in the 2D inertial ship combat space, in my opinion. It's sort of a roguelike, so there's unidentified consumables, and there's a "permadeath conduct" but all that means is that if you never choose to re-load a save after dying you get a tag on your tombstone that says "respected permadeath". Otherwise the big differences compared to EV clones are that you can't change out ships (your ship is your player class, basically) and that you can only use one weapon and one missile/grenade launcher at a time. Which mostly just means that instead of throwing on as many turrets and basic guns as you can, you slowly climb the ranks of more powerful direct-fire guns, and occasionally carry a swap gun to deal with enemies that resist your primary damage type.

Basic gameplay is flying around space systems, fighting various bandits, enemy factions, and other hostile ships, blowing up stations, looting ships and stations for stuff, and selling said stuff at friendly stations. There's a decent number of missions, some randomly-generated and others not.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Ion Blast II isn't quite as effective against Cloak, but with the combat drone + recovery arm and the flak, you can easily bring down shields for the beam to rake across systems, and once their remaining shield is completely ionized, the drone will make short work of anything. It's a perfectly viable end-game setup. I also like the Ion because it makes crew kills easier together with the Mind Control. With the repair drone, it doesn't really matter that you can't take out their weapons as fast as with a pre-igniter.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Platystemon posted:

I’m curious what other people would do here. Early sector 5, since that matters for SRA calculus.

My answer: Sell the Ion Blast II and Combat I drone, buy the Weapon Pre‐igniter and Scrap Recovery Arm

Upgrade weapons to seven bars (Pike Beam, Flak I, and Hull Laser II), and leave with three scrap.

Sector 5, I wouldn't even bother with the scrap recovery arm. I would sell the Sys Rep (not needed with 7 crews), and the combat 1 drones (hull repair will eat most of your drones), sell the Ion blast (eew ion, also doesn't work with preigniter), and purchase the pre igniter and upgrade to weapon 7.
I know pre-igniter is luxury most of the times, but this might be the one time i'll get it with good solid weapons and the level to use them. Your next priority should be hacking so that all your shots land. Hacking > cloaking cause your weapons are solid, but you need every shot to land. Rest goes into upgrades.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I ended up getting a halberd beam almost immediately. Hacking and a defense drone were in a store at the end of the next sector.

I beat the flagship with a score of 6.3 k.

Ion Blast 2 is the best ion weapon in the game though?

It’s the best single ion weapon but I prefer to have a little more ion to deal with high shields and high evasion.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Eeepies posted:

Sector 5, I wouldn't even bother with the scrap recovery arm. I would sell the Sys Rep (not needed with 7 crews), and the combat 1 drones (hull repair will eat most of your drones), sell the Ion blast (eew ion, also doesn't work with preigniter), and purchase the pre igniter and upgrade to weapon 7.
I know pre-igniter is luxury most of the times, but this might be the one time i'll get it with good solid weapons and the level to use them. Your next priority should be hacking so that all your shots land. Hacking > cloaking cause your weapons are solid, but you need every shot to land. Rest goes into upgrades.

Scrap Recovery Arm pays for itself in one jump in sector 7. It's always worth it if you have the space.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Scrap Recovery Arm pays for itself in one jump in sector 7. It's always worth it if you have the space.

No, it really depends on what else is available and what you need in the moment. You may get the price back yeah but in the mean time you lose 50 scrap which might let you buy an extra weapon or defense or system in the early game which will let you win more fights more easily or just survive at all. A scrap recovery arm is like giving someone a loan with interest but you need all of that money for yourself early in the game. I only pick it up on hard when I already have a great weapons loadout and aren't in any immediate risk of getting blown up.

Being greedy is the easiest way to die on hard I think. I always find myself in the sunk cost fallacy where I spend way more resources on blowing a ship up than I should just because I've been trying too long already, or trying for elaborate crew kills when I really can't afford to do that. The scrap arm is like that, it's tempting because you'll get massive payouts in the final sectors, but by that time you should already be winning.

I just did something kind of cool: I had two weapons with similar charge time, a heavy laser 2 (3 power) and a crystal H.I. (1 power). Just before they were about to go off a shot hit my weapons room which left just 3 bars and shut down the heavy laser just near the discharge point, so I let the crystal weapon fire, immediately paused and transferred its power to the heavy laser before the weapon charge had time to go down, so it fired on time anyway and blew up the enemy ship. It felt a bit like cheating.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 15, 2017

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Say what? It costs 50 scrap and rewards 10% extra whenever you collect scrap. If you generously assume 75 scrap per sector 7 victory without the augment, you're getting 7.5 extra per victory, which means you need 7 victories to get more than 50 scrap back.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

BobHoward posted:

Say what? It costs 50 scrap and rewards 10% extra whenever you collect scrap. If you generously assume 75 scrap per sector 7 victory without the augment, you're getting 7.5 extra per victory, which means you need 7 victories to get more than 50 scrap back.

You'll get 25 back when you eventually sell it, though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Scrap Recovery Arm is overpowered even as late as Sector 5, or early Sector 6. Unless I really, really need something else (i.e. Zoltan Bypass on a Mantis ship, a weapon that doesn't use missiles, shields on a stealth, etc.), I will almost always sell things to buy an SRA.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

BobHoward posted:

I mean you are right. But I'll still say that a SRA is always worth it. Only caveat is if you are behind the offense curve for the sector you are in, you have to invest in offense instead. Usually if you can afford it you should buy it.
Similar with distraction buoys.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
FTL 2 When

https://benprunty.bandcamp.com/album/deep-space-deluxe-ep

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
2 FTL 2 Furious

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Laptop overheated during a game because of a blocked fan, restarted, it reloaded some ancient save so I now lost most of my ships :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Black Hole Entity (Battle) is mind-blowingly good.

• Locked thread