Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

shovelbum posted:

I owe you guys so much for keeping me out of law school! Thank you Law School Megathread, you made a big and legit difference in my life. Now if I could get all these law schools to stop emailing me...

What was it that made you change your mind? Glad you shook those "dreams" about becoming a lawyer with a lifetime of student loan debt around your neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

MaximumBob posted:

How does it feel to be so wrong?
Which part?

10-8 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 2, 2011

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

You might get an environment with people who wouldn't kill themselves but for how busy they are trying to bill more hours. But if they weren't so busy then they'd kill themselves after all? To answer your question I don't know.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
gently caress yeah, I just passed the NY bar.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

wootles, passed~

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
New York Bar? Give me something hard to pass.

NEVER AGAIN

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

qwertyman posted:

NEVER AGAIN

Never. Ever. Again. (I passed, it's pretty exciting.)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

qwertyman posted:

California laughs at you and your pass rate over 50% (combined winter and summer). Hard? We think not.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
http://www.justice.gov.mp/careers.aspx

For all our recent bar passers:

The Northern Mariana Islands is hiring a law clerk. I literally wish I knew this when I was filing innumerable clerkship apps.

They have kinda big spiders, but otherwise they are awesome. Which is to say, they have kinda big spiders and therefore spiders are icky and gently caress spiders.

Goddamnit, I blame nm for this ennui between arachnophobia and a clerkship opportunity.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 2, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

The Northern Mariana Islands is hiring a law clerk. I literally wish I knew this when I was filing innumerable clerkship apps.

They have kinda big spiders, but otherwise they are awesome. Which is to say, they have kinda big spiders and therefore spiders are icky and gently caress spiders.

Goddamnit, I blame nm for this ennui between arachnophobia and a clerkship opportunity.
That's not a law clerk. That's an actual clerk.

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005

Daviclond posted:

So uh the OP makes a pretty damning case for staying the hell away from a law degree in the US, but would the same advice apply to the UK? I have a family member considering it as their degree and I'm not sure what approach to take to help him. To be clear, I don't necessarily mean talking him out of it, but I'm going to at least give a bit of lecturing on how he better be willing to work his rear end off.

The position is much better in the UK in that one can do a law degree at undergraduate level and it'll cost you no more than any other degree. I know that people are moaning about the increase in tuition fees from ~£3000 to £9,000p/a but it won't cost you anything up front and there's no huge risk involved because the threshold to start paying it back has gone up (to about £21,000 I think? Which is a very low figure but if you don't find a job then you won't suddenly have your house repossessed or anything else that can happen in the US).

I've gone into law with my degree so I can't give any first hand experience of how other employers in different fields see the degree but from my understanding it's regarded as a 'proper' degree and will get you a job ahead of someone with a degree in English or Philosophy (for example).

If your family member actually wants to go into law with their degree then it might become a bit riskier. I don't know if they've thought ahead to whether they want to be a solicitor or go to the Bar but competition is pretty high. Again, no first hand experience of applying to solicitors' firms but your family member will need at least a 2.1 and if they plan to work in the City then ideally a 1st. The LPC (which one has to do after finishing a law degree in order to qualify as a solicitor) costs about £10,000 I think and will either need to be funded privately (ie with a normal loan rather than a snuggly nice low-risk government handout) or if one has got a training contract at a solicitors' firm then most will fund this.

I've gone to the Bar and for that one has to do the BPTC. This costs between £12,000 and £15,000 depending on where one studies. There are no firms to fund this because life as a barrister means being self-employed.

However, the Inns of Court (Inner Temple, Middle Temple, Lincoln's Inn and Gray's Inn) all provide scholarships for very promising applicants and as the recipient of a scholarship for the entirety of my course fees I can tell you that it's great fun and if your family member wants to go to the Bar and gets a scholarship then there's no real risk.

The Bar is a LOT more competitive than applying to be a solicitor, however, and your family member will really need a 1st or to get a very good CV (ie winning lots of mooting competitions and anything else relevant eg negotiating etc) in order to have a chance. The statistics seem to change all the time but Lord Judge has thrown around a figure of 1 in 8 people who do the BPTC getting a pupillage (ie a year of training before being set loose as a self-employed practitioner - this is what essentially counts as 'the job' that people are applying for). Again though, applications are always a year in advance (for example I applied and had my interviews this year and will be starting my pupillage in October 2012 after I finish the course).

In summary then: law is seen as a very respectable degree that will set anyone in good stead, but if one actually wants to go into the law professionally then it starts to get competitive so be good!

dos4gw fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 2, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

evilweasel posted:

It sounds like you pretty solidly made up your mind already, but if you've ever been part of a badly run organization, or had a terrible boss, you should be aware of the value of effective management skills to an organization.

At my biglaw firm, the HR department existed mostly to protect the jobs of the incompetent 50% of the support staff who wanted to play Solitaire and get in hair-pulling, pan-cubicle screaming matches with one another. If we'd had lawyers involved, we would have just fired the deadweight. Now, I'm not big on the whole firing people thing, so that should give you some idea of how useless some of them were.

We also had firm management who were big on applying business management techniques, unfortunately this honestly didn't seem to translate to practice within the wider partnership (i.e. outside of the relevant committees and the official party line).

Daviclond posted:

So uh the OP makes a pretty damning case for staying the hell away from a law degree in the US, but would the same advice apply to the UK? I have a family member considering it as their degree and I'm not sure what approach to take to help him. To be clear, I don't necessarily mean talking him out of it, but I'm going to at least give a bit of lecturing on how he better be willing to work his rear end off.

The debt burden is nothing like that in the US and our student loan debt is on superior terms anyway AFAIK (it came in after I finished my first degree), so right away it is a less lovely idea. We also have a variety of ways into the profession for solicitors, because we still basically have an apprenticeship system, albeit it's apprenticeship "plus" as you have the LPC etc. which ensures that there is a basis of legal knowledge to sit alongside whatever you learn during your training contract. Because we have this apprenticeship system, soliciting (titter) is more open in terms of allowing people to qualify at different stages in their lives/careers than law is in the US, where most students (exception, people with hard science PhDs who want to do patent work) at the top schools have basically jumped straight into a graduate course on the back of a good degree from a good university.

I didn't do one and therefore this should be taken with a pinch of salt, but the necessity of securing a training contract means, I imagine, that when jobs are scarce connections are triply important. Especially in the regions, if the son or daughter of an important client or just the son or daughter of "someone" (MP, tycoon, rock star, Bedales alumnus etc) wants work, firms are more likely to look favourably on them. Does this apply to your relative? This can happen in the US of course, but firms do tend to hire on the basis of grades, grades, the name of your school and not loving up during your summer internship. Magic circle firms in this economy are probably looking for Oxbridge or something very close to it, perfect grades and the obligatory stick up the arse which shows you have the right attitude to work in a City firm.

While it is a viable option as a general degree (unlike the JD, which is a vocational degree, and has no real application other than becoming a husk of a human being lawyer), an undergrad law degree is still focused on doing most of the stuff that Americans do in JD courses. It's about law, and as such is basically a preparation for a legal career, or for a career in making coffee and filing/becoming a humanities teacher.

If your relative has the aptitude for it and wants to do something challenging requiring actual studying, I would have thought a hard science or medicine/vet medicine would be much better from a career or employable skills perspective. Law is better than a psychology degree, but not much better.

Lawyering in this country is also a lot less interesting than it is in the US, since we still have a division between solicitors and the bar. Even if they aren't brilliant at it, American lawyers will have the prospect of dealing with some element of advocacy work during their careers should they wish to do so. For most solicitors, this will simply not be the case, rights of audience notwithstanding. This means it's a job that involves sitting at a desk and doing paperwork.

And because barristers are primarily advocates, there is no substitute for the skillset of an advocate if you choose that path. AFAIK, you can't be a good barrister and a lovely trial lawyer, no matter how readable your written opinions are and how personable your clerk. If you are mediocre in front of a judge or simply can't acquire the particular mindset of a barrister, by which I mean understanding how and when arguments are actually presented and how the court will reason, you will not get far. Thanks to the impact of American TV lawyering, I don't think people appreciate precisely how bizarre argument even at the RCJ is.

More generally, just as in the US, this is an exceptionally difficult market for law students. Our firm was recently recruiting and got some exceptionally qualified people looking who you wouldn't have expected to want a job outside of the environs of EC2. One of my wife's relatives went to a well-respected school, presents well and has the significant advantage(sadly, due to the composition of most partnerships) of being pretty and blonde, and she has ended up going to a high street firm for her training contract for want of anything better.

The final thing I'd say about it as a career is that, as with the US, even if he gets a foot in the door, your relative will realise that he could have got much greater rewards for a lot less effort by becoming a banker, consultant or going into industry (in the approximate order) than by going into law. We're limited basically by the fact that unlike bankers or our clients in industry, the salary we command is based on the chargeable value of our labour rather than (as with capitalists or bankers, for example) the capital you have to play with. You simply don't get six-figure salaries without putting in the hours (and having the skills to back it up) and there are no £1m+ bonuses, let alone ones that come with Martini lunches and Friday afternoons at the pub.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

nm posted:

California laughs at you and your pass rate over 50% (combined winter and summer). Hard? We think not.

California literally lets anyone go take the bar exam.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Congrats to you NY passers.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
goongrats NY folks

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

BigHead posted:

I just GISed mariana island spiders. Goddamn I guess there are some upsides to living in a frozen hellish wasteland that was never meant to supprt life

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I was just cleaning up some old docs on my computer and I found an old SlyFrog Classic (tm) that I loved so much at the time I saved it to a word file

in the interests of making the last page full of HR and SV posts a little less lovely, I share it with you scrubs now

SlyFrog posted:

I prefer to think of my wife as the ingenue in a Cthulhu novel - watching me undertake acts, study dark things, and truck with unspeakably black monsters that will eventually push me over the brink into insanity. On particularly savage days, she is a balm restoring some small bit of hope that I lost, but never enough.

One day I will read that final work or negotiate with that final monster who fully pushes me over the edge into gibbering insanity, and she will not be able to bring me back. She will look at the corporeal shell that remains and softly weep, knowing that her efforts were ultimately futile, and that she is alone.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

HooKars posted:

You're a 2L aren't you?

Did you ever end up applying to any of the bigger markets? I definitely had an NYC big law interview the Friday before Halloween my 2L year and ended up accepting their offer shortly after so even big law spots aren't necessarily full at this point if they see a good enough applicant.

Public interest jobs and smaller law firms generally don't hire this early on either so just because OCI is over doesn't mean you can't learn from your mistakes in OCI and shoot for smaller firms in both your ideal markets and other larger markets with more law firms. Just because you end up in a state doesn't mean you're stuck there forever. Taking the bar over again is a pain but it's really not the end of the world. 5% at a good school may still get you in somewhere. I would at least keep waiting it out until the next round of tuition is due and try your hardest to find a job, assuming you still actually want to be a lawyer.

Yes I'm a 2L and no, I didn't apply to any firms in NY/DC/Chi. My loan situation isn't too bad, it'd be 50k total if I stayed through. My parents said they'll pay my last year of tuition, so that knocks it down to ~25k if I stay. Edit: to be clear, it's not like I slacked and only applied to OCI firms. I applied to almost every firm in the Deep South with more than 10 attorneys -- although about 40% were fairly late applications.

The main concern I have right now is whether I should keep applying to places or shift my attention to working on my comment and studying for exams. I'm so behind in everything right now.

I'm waiting to hear back from one callback and I actually just got a callback this morning with a firm back home (regional biglaw). Government hiring doesn't exist and I have no interest in PI.

The biggest issue is that my parents literally cannot comprehend that a law degree isn't particularly useful for business. Sure, some businessmen have law degrees, but ever heard of survivorship bias?

Omerta fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 2, 2011

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Hoo boy.

I've been hounding this one attorney for weeks at a crim defense firm. Call, call, call call call call call. He's apparently busy as hell but his friends that told me about him said they talked to him recently and told me to keep calling. I do.

I finally get him on the phone and he asks me to send my resume because he wants to send it out to his friends Then he asks to meet with me so he'll know what kind of guy he's recommending.

Ok, sure. I show up today in khakis and a button-down shirt and some nice shoes because this isn't a job interview-- it's a meet and greet.

He gets pissed that I'm not wearing a suit, despite the fact that he's wearing jeans and a polo. "Where's your loving suit?"

Facepalm.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

gret posted:

California literally lets anyone go take the bar exam.
That isn't completely true and NY's pass rate is almost 70%

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Ok, sure. I show up today in khakis and a button-down shirt and some nice shoes because this isn't a job interview-- it's a meet and greet.

He gets pissed that I'm not wearing a suit, despite the fact that he's wearing jeans and a polo. "Where's your loving suit?"

Facepalm.

Show up to everything law related in a suit. Better for them to make fun of you for being overdressed than to get reamed for being under dressed.

It's so easy for guys to dress down automatically. Just take off your jacket and voila! Maybe take off the tie if it's extra "casual".

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Penguins Like Pies posted:

Show up to everything law related in a suit. Better for them to make fun of you for being overdressed than to get reamed for being under dressed.

It's so easy for guys to dress down automatically. Just take off your jacket and voila! Maybe take off the tie if it's extra "casual".

I'm sorry Captain Scraps but I agree with penguins here. You should have been in a suit.

I once went to an "informational" interview without a copy of my resume, on the same theory that it was a "meet and greet" and not an interview, and the first thing the interviewer asked for was my resume. When I didn't have it, he gave me a five minute lecture about how I need to bring my resume to every interview, informational or not, and the lack of a resume shows either ignorance or apathy. He was pretty annoyed with me.

Looking back, I think he was annoyed because he couldn't use my resume as a conversation starter - he'd have to actually make conversation as though he were interested in talking to me like a human being.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

entris posted:

I'm sorry Captain Scraps but I agree with penguins here. You should have been in a suit.

Weird. I got the advice not to wear a suit to informational interviews from this thread.

I guess I'll start wearing suits to everything from now on.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Weird. I got the advice not to wear a suit to informational interviews from this thread.

I guess I'll start wearing suits to everything from now on.

If I'm directly in touch with the person I'm meeting with, I ask since you never know how the person will respond. Anecdote: I went to lunch with two partners at a notoriously conservative Atlanta firm and asked if I should wear a suit beforehand. The partner (verbatim) said, "Don't be a loving human being and show up in a suit."

Otherwise, presume suit since this guy was kind of off his rocker anyway.

edit: in other news, I'm going to stay in law school. I like what I'm doing, I'm doing well, and I'm going to have a fairly small debt load after I graduate. Turns out parents will pay entirely for the last year, so it wouldn't make a difference. Unless I get a job at one of the few fulltime positions I applied to that start in January, then I'm staying.

I'm still not sure if I want to go into business or not, but worst case scenario I'll go work at my parents' business. #whiteprivilege and I still love you Warsaza.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 2, 2011

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Omerta posted:

If I'm directly in touch with the person I'm meeting with, I ask since you never know how the person will respond. Anecdote: I went to lunch with two partners at a notoriously conservative Atlanta firm and asked if I should wear a suit beforehand. The partner (verbatim) said, "Don't be a loving human being and show up in a suit."

The worst part is the way this is phrased. I'm wouldn't have been sure (but for the first sentence in the paragraph) whether he meant "don't wear a suit (like a human being would,)" or "don't be a human being. Instead, wear a suit."

Probably would've shown up in a jacket and some jorts.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

prussian advisor posted:

The worst part is the way this is phrased. I'm wouldn't have been sure (but for the first sentence in the paragraph) whether he meant "don't wear a suit (like a human being would,)" or "don't be a human being. Instead, wear a suit."

Probably would've shown up in a jacket and some jorts.

I know, you could tell by his tone what he meant though. Also, I don't know if this thread was posted here, but it's hilarious.
"Landlord saw my penis: can I sue?"
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444610

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I just GISed mariana island spiders. Goddamn I guess there are some upsides to living in a frozen hellish wasteland that was never meant to supprt life

Meh, you only see one like once or twice a year, and usually the small juvenile variety. I've only seen about 5 face-huggers in the last 7 years. My cat killed one of them.

Also, going to the CNMI is worse than unemployment.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Soothing Vapors posted:

I was just cleaning up some old docs on my computer and I found an old SlyFrog Classic (tm) that I loved so much at the time I saved it to a word file

in the interests of making the last page full of HR and SV posts a little less lovely, I share it with you scrubs now
Can you please repost his (I think) post about Warhammer 40K?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Abugadu posted:

I've only seen about 5 face-huggers in the last 7 years.
that's about 5 too many

10-8 posted:

Can you please repost his (I think) post about Warhammer 40K?

Yes, most beneficent one

Slyfrog posted:

Said partner at said Upper Midwest Biglaw firm has never, and will never, discuss anything remotely related to Warhammer 40k (which said partner has not played in some years) or any other games (computer and/or miniature and/or board related) with any of said partner's partners or associates.

Said partner has spent the last roughly 10-15 years of his life in a failed attempt to become a "norm" and discuss cars, charity auctions, and whatever else these loving idiots find exciting, while suppressing the gamer/geek identity that is fundamental to his spirit.

Said partner has failed to become a norm and has also left his geek community behind, and now is a stranger in a strange land - not accepted by those people around him (for the normal ones always feel offput by a true geek, no matter how hard he tries to mask his nature), and fearing to walk with his true people (also, fearing the smell and social awkwardness of his true people).

We will never discuss gaming at my firm. If you discuss the topic in my presence, I will nervously pretend not to know what it is, while inside I will be keenly agitated and emotional, desperately dying to reach out and touch you, to finally connect, but knowing that I can not and will not. We may be in each others' presence for years, decades, never knowing or being able to share the geekery and passion that is mutually held.

I am like a closeted gay man knowing he can never come out, crying alone, convinced by the church to change into something not "disgusting," to try to love discussions about golf, cars, local politics, and hedge funds. I am the marine in American Beauty, isolated from all because of the monster I am, while I refuse to consort with my fellow monsters (as they are monsters) who might be the only company I could find.

Some day, like that marine, I will finally break and walk up to some random person I have misinterpreted as being a fellow geek. I will ask them if they would be interested in playing Space Hulk, or maybe Blood Bowl, maybe even start a small league because you know, I have all the stuff, they wouldn't even need to buy anything or bring any minis along. I will have misread them. They will laugh, and say, "Oh my god, you are a grown adult, you still play with kids toys? What, do you have Barbies too? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" Then they will tell others. Spurned, what credibility I have ruined, I will go to my dark place and end us.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Can you please post like hall of fame of funny posts from this thread

I know you have them saved somewhere on that jizz-stained laptop of yours

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Can you please post like hall of fame of funny posts from this thread

I know you have them saved somewhere on that jizz-stained laptop of yours
sure http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3301274&userid=94663

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
So what's the smartest way to deal with student loans v. long-term saving?

If you are borrowing at 7% it seems prudent to forget about savings until that's gone, but what about 401K matching? Is it best to take advantage of the "free" money first and then focus the rest on principal repayment?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

fougera posted:

If you are borrowing at 7% it seems prudent to forget about savings until that's gone, but what about 401K matching? Is it best to take advantage of the "free" money first and then focus the rest on principal repayment?

If I was getting paid enough to cover my loans here's what I'd do:
1) save 6 month cushion while paying minimums
2) take free money in 401k
3) Pay off student loans

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Roger_Mudd posted:

If I was getting paid enough to cover my loans here's what I'd do:
1) save 6 month cushion while paying minimums
2) take free money in 401k
3) Pay off student loans

and by cushion you mean rent + insurance + food?

The real challenge is living off of a small base in NYC. I really need a gf to move in with, splitting a studio would be mad cheap.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

fougera posted:

This might be more appropriate to discuss in the retirement savings/investment thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928); the best course of action is dependent on several factors, including your current income, tax bracket, age, whether your 401k has a match, credit card debt, student loan interest rates, risk tolerance, job stability, and more.

Generally you always want to have a month+ savings to cover an emergency, and to contribute to whatever your 401k match is; even though your student loan interest is high at 7%, your 401k match is a guaranteed 50-100% return on investment. I would start contributing up to the match level immediately, because that's a use-it-or-lose-it proposition and you're not going to get a guaranteed 50% or 100% ROI anywhere else.

With regard to the emergency fund, the metric I use is 8 months of bare minimum expenses (e.g., mortgage, utilities, taxes, groceries, gas, insurance), assuming I were cutting back on luxuries and eating ramen otherwise.

Other than getting the 401k match being priority number one, everyone's situation is so unique that you're probably better off discussing in the thread directly related to savings/retirement planning where you can get more specific advice directly tailored to your situation.

Edit: Also, judging from your post history you are a regular poster in the stock picking thread. You might want to stop day-trading until you have your basic savings/retirement planning under control.

NJ Deac fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 3, 2011

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I really hope the MPRE is as easy as everyone says it is. I've done absolutely nothing, aside from reading through a commercial outline once.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Blakkout posted:

I really hope the MPRE is as easy as everyone says it is. I've done absolutely nothing, aside from reading through a commercial outline once.

The MPRE is pathetically easy but you do not want to take that poo poo twice. Look at some sample questions just to get a feel for it.

I spent about 5-10 hours on it and have the handicap of being a total sociopath and passed by about 25 points. I think the sum of my studying efforts was reading through a commercial outline and maybe doing 50 practice questions to get a feel for them.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Blakkout posted:

Watch the barbri video, take a test, done.

A friend and I were trying to get the closest to 85 we could and I still overshot by 40 points.

Then the other clerk in my office announced he got 85 on the dot was surprised when I congratulated him.

Edit: Passed. Oh thank god. High five Roger.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 3, 2011

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I r passed the bar!

*high five back at ya Cpt. Scraps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Congrats to all of you joining the rest of us successful bar exam takers this week!

Now to find a job like the rest of us...