Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

Jacobey000 posted:

Starting to think I have a problem.

Brewed a Quad last Wednesday. Kegged an ESB, left ~2 gallons of Kentucky Common off the tap. Checked on the 8 gallons of mead. This weekend I picked up 20#s more honey for more mead and have 10 gallons of cider fermenting in the closet. I also have a 'wine' experiment fermenting in a growler. Have a porter brew slated for this or next weekend.

Can you post the recipe you used for the Kentucky Common? The style was mentioned in the thread a few pages back and I was intrigued, but I haven't been able to find a clear direction to go for a recipe googling around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
A friend linked me this kickstarter PicoBrew Zymatic. Looks like the first thought out all-grain brewing appliance. Chris White even endorses it.

All the consumer brewing projects I've seen fall into two categories:

-- Glorified extract boiler. An electric pot that boils water for you! Just wait until the 2x16 character LCD says "add extract" and pour in the $40 cans of beer juice to make your own delicious beer at home!
-- Babby's first circuits. We figured out how to hook an Arduino UNO to an SSR and now you can make delicious beer at home. Give us money so we can buy and integrate an LCD screen so you can see the temperature. If we raise over $500,000 it will have wifi!

I'm pleased that they've put a few years of work into it rather than trying to jump right from first prototype to production. I've spent $6,000 on my brewery which is more flexible and can brew larger batches but if this was around a couple of years ago I probably would be right on it. I still want to build myself a 1 gallon brewery more like this system.

What I don't see is where a boil would take place. I see there are 4 chambers for hops that get filtered through and I can't imagine they boil with the grain still in there.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Edit: ^^ that looks awesome, though it'll take a lot of batches before that thing pays itself off. One of my favorite parts of this is that I can accumulate new gear over time, so right now I'm under $8 per pint. Still, with folks spending upwards of $5,000 for sculptures, I suppose it has a market!

What do you do when you had more in your primary than you thought?

Here comes another pint+ of mead! (edit: hopefully)

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 1, 2013

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

CapnBry posted:

What I don't see is where a boil would take place. I see there are 4 chambers for hops that get filtered through and I can't imagine they boil with the grain still in there.
From the FAQ:

quote:

Where does the boil happen?
We usually run the fluid just below boiling temperature. The near boiling occurs in the heat exchanger, adjunct compartments and keg.Through testing we have found that there is nothing magical about boiling- it’s just traditional since beer was invented a long time before thermometers and process controls. In a conventional homebrew system, boiling is important since the temperature control is not as precise- keeping the entrie kettle at 208° steadily for an hour is impossible for most home brew systems. Also in home brew systems, a vigorous boil ensures mixing of the brew kettle. In the Zymatic™, this mixing is done by circulating the wort. We have run extensive testing for hops extraction, off flavors and clarity, and have found no detraction from running slightly less than boil.
So it recirculates very near boiling wort through everything except the grain. Seems like that might possibly damage a keg with rubber gaskets, and would also require some heavy-duty tubing to and from the keg.

This is super cool, but part of building your own brewery is the ability to expand as you get more involved in the process, trading out smaller pots for bigger ones, getting bigger burners, etc. With this, if you ever want to go beyond 1 gallon batches, you have toss the whole thing and get all new equipment.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
That's actually super interesting, I really want to experiment with that now. DMS is driven off at relatively low temperatures, right? I bet a DIPA that is pasteurized and "boiled" just slightly above alpha acid isomerization temperature would be amazing. Gently recirculate to ensure everything is mixed up but not so much that it drives off hop flavor and aromatic compounds.

edit: I bet you could boil for like 10-15 minutes to pasteurize, add bittering hops at like 190F, and slowly lower the temperature over the course of an hour and continuously hop to get a full range of flavor and aroma. It would be like doing a mega hop stand instead of a boil.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 1, 2013

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I've been slacking on my mead day mead so I finally racked onto the fruit last night. The Quality Control officer was present and quite fascinated by the fruit sludge plopping into the carboys and the swirling fluids during racking.

With over 20 pounds of fruit I knew there wouldn't be room to put it all in one bucket so I mixed up all the fruit with a heaping teaspoon of pectic enzyme and stirred, mashed and blended with an immersion blender until all the big lumps were gone. Divided that evenly into the carboys and racked the base mead as evenly as I could. After that I pitched a packet of Lalvin 71B-1122 into each of them since the Sweet Mead hit its limit for alcohol tolerance. Brix was 9.6 and gravity around 1.002 but it still tasted fairly sweet. Hopefully the large headspace and cold fruit will keep it from overflowing the carboys.

e: Here's the fermentation progress:

Cpt.Wacky fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 1, 2013

EnsignVix
Jul 11, 2006

Midorka posted:

Will I be able to use my STC1000 probe inside of my carboy without a thermowell? Will the bung still form a seal? I would rather not buy a thermowell, but if anyone can suggest one I'm all ears.

I'm guessing it would be too much of a gap and you won't get a proper seal. Even if you did manage to, you wouldn't be able to get the probe to the center where you want it. I really like my thermowells and would suggest you pick one up, they are only $25 and they make me feel pretty comfortable with accurate temps. I suppose if you really wanted you might be able to make one, but really for that price I'd say just buy one.

Here are a few things I do run into with the thermowells. First, if you are not able to chill your wort down to pitching temperature, you are going to not want to use the thermowell to start with. You'll likely get some massive swings in temperature before it starts leveling out as your freezer will stay on for quite awhile before the middle of your wort hits where you want. If I don't hit my target when chilling, I'll let the probe sit outside the well for the first day until I'm fairly sure the wort is within a couple degrees of where I want it. The second concern is that for whatever reason, whoever makes these uses very small stoppers. The top of the stopper is almost flush with the carboy lip once installed and it won't fit at all in my larger carboys. This isn't a huge deal, I just make sure I use at least one carboy it will fit in per freezer. It's easier to remove them by pulling on the airlock as you can't really get a hold of the stopper itself.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

RagingBoner posted:

So it recirculates very near boiling wort through everything except the grain. Seems like that might possibly damage a keg with rubber gaskets, and would also require some heavy-duty tubing to and from the keg.
Oh durp, not sure how I missed that. Silicone tubing isn't terribly expensive and I pump 200F+ degree liquid through it when I do my chilling. Supposedly good up to 500F.

I'm curious about the whole not-boiling thing. I can see the alpha acid isomerization working, I can see DMS steaming off possibly, but I'd be concerned with no mechanical action knocking protein together to fall out of the wort. Maybe the pumping action does it.

I wanted to brew this weekend anyway, maybe I'll test it out.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

EnsignVix posted:

I'm guessing it would be too much of a gap and you won't get a proper seal. Even if you did manage to, you wouldn't be able to get the probe to the center where you want it. I really like my thermowells and would suggest you pick one up, they are only $25 and they make me feel pretty comfortable with accurate temps. I suppose if you really wanted you might be able to make one, but really for that price I'd say just buy one.

Here are a few things I do run into with the thermowells. First, if you are not able to chill your wort down to pitching temperature, you are going to not want to use the thermowell to start with. You'll likely get some massive swings in temperature before it starts leveling out as your freezer will stay on for quite awhile before the middle of your wort hits where you want. If I don't hit my target when chilling, I'll let the probe sit outside the well for the first day until I'm fairly sure the wort is within a couple degrees of where I want it. The second concern is that for whatever reason, whoever makes these uses very small stoppers. The top of the stopper is almost flush with the carboy lip once installed and it won't fit at all in my larger carboys. This isn't a huge deal, I just make sure I use at least one carboy it will fit in per freezer. It's easier to remove them by pulling on the airlock as you can't really get a hold of the stopper itself.

Thanks for the tips. Any recommendations on thermowells that will work with the STC1000 probe?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

thomawesome posted:

someone just handed me, fo' free, a cultivated and healthy yeast strain from Heady Topper. Can't wait to cultivate that poo poo.

I brewed a pale ale a couple weeks ago with some my homebrew club buddy gave to me and it came out pretty good. Really unique fruit/esters even at ~68F. It reminds me of Belgian saison yeast almost.

Also I'm brewing a saison with it this weekend to continue the experiment.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

ieatsoap6 posted:

Can you post the recipe you used for the Kentucky Common? The style was mentioned in the thread a few pages back and I was intrigued, but I haven't been able to find a clear direction to go for a recipe googling around.

http://cobdavis.com/beer/2013/Bourbon%20County%20Common.html is my recipe. The instructions in the mash say to sour mash for 24h, but I did 18h to keep the sourness just this side of tart (a lot more mellow). I also suggest maybe sour mashing with just the base malt, the darker malts make the beer look like river dregs. Delicious, but just a strange "color" & "visual texture". I'm likely going to brew this again, but I'd keep the roasted malts in, kinda like the 'muddiness'.

e: just noticed the mash schedule is STILL backwards, after editing it many many times.

Jacobey000 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 1, 2013

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
wow I really want to try making that. It sounds phenomenal...just a clarification though: it is called Bourbon County Common but it is just oak aged, no actual bourbon, right?

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

ChiTownEddie posted:

wow I really want to try making that. It sounds phenomenal...just a clarification though: it is called Bourbon County Common but it is just oak aged, no actual bourbon, right?

Right, my thought on the name is simply because it's a "kentucky beer" with oak.

You can also try it if you want, as you /are/ in town.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Chicago homebrewers: Anyone want some Centennial or Columbus hops? I bought a pound of each of last year's crop from hopsdirect that I never wound up using and don't think I will use in the foreseeable future. I'd trade 'em both for some homebrew or cash at your discretion. They've been in my freezer in the original 1lb bags (knowing hopsdirect though, there's probably about 20oz in each) since purchase.

edit: These are pellets.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I wouldn't mind taking those off your hands. PM me what you're thinking for them!

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Speaking of unopened hops, I have a pound of Belma I bought because it was cheap. Based on what I keep hearing about fruit flavors from it, I still haven't found anything to do with it. Any suggestions?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I would take some, the new vacuum sealer isn't gonna use itself.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

Jacobey000 posted:

http://cobdavis.com/beer/2013/Bourbon%20County%20Common.html is my recipe. The instructions in the mash say to sour mash for 24h, but I did 18h to keep the sourness just this side of tart (a lot more mellow). I also suggest maybe sour mashing with just the base malt, the darker malts make the beer look like river dregs. Delicious, but just a strange "color" & "visual texture". I'm likely going to brew this again, but I'd keep the roasted malts in, kinda like the 'muddiness'.

e: just noticed the mash schedule is STILL backwards, after editing it many many times.

Awesome, thanks! I've never done a sour mash, so this will be an adventure.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Jo3sh posted:

Speaking of unopened hops, I have a pound of Belma I bought because it was cheap. Based on what I keep hearing about fruit flavors from it, I still haven't found anything to do with it. Any suggestions?

I did a single-hop IPA with them that was wonderful. It was like strawberry cream Two-Hearted.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

What was your hop schedule like?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I did an all Belma blonde ale that everybody seemed to love. I'm in a different city than my brewing notebook but I think I did an oz at 60 and .5 oz at 20, 10, 5 and flameout in a light 1.055 beer.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Jo3sh posted:

What was your hop schedule like?

Mine looks somewhat similar to Josh Wow's. http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/friend-zone-ipa/ I actually used Belma as opposed to the hop listed in the recipe; brewtoad didn't have a Belma hop when I made the recipe. Note the massive dryhop. Belma isn't terribly aromatic so you really have to use a lot to get good results.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Mayor Poopenmayer posted:

I've got the LDME on boiling right now

What is this? Typo, regional thing, or some hybrid of physical states signalling the end of our small universe?

Mayor Poopenmayer
Feb 15, 2006

Mayor of Pooptown

ChickenArise posted:

What is this? Typo, regional thing, or some hybrid of physical states signalling the end of our small universe?

Light Dry Malt Extract
Must just be an Aussie thing

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

crazyfish posted:

Josh Wow posted:

OK, so I think I will make some kind of Belma blonde or pale ale as my batch after this next one (which is a Scottish 80/-)

Thanks, guys!

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Jo3sh posted:

OK, so I think I will make some kind of Belma blonde or pale ale as my batch after this next one (which is a Scottish 80/-)

Thanks, guys!

No problem. I think the only commercial example I saw of a Belma hopped beer was a malt liquor that Founders did somewhat recently (draft only from what I remember). I think it was called Summer Sizzler.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

crazyfish posted:

No problem. I think the only commercial example I saw of a Belma hopped beer was a malt liquor that Founders did somewhat recently (draft only from what I remember). I think it was called Summer Sizzler.

mmm... craft malt liquor. Anyone got a recipe for a colt 45 clone?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I bet its something like 60% 6-row and 40% processed corn or even plain sugar, American lager yeast, no lagering period, just drink as soon as fermented and cold.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 2, 2013

Mayor Poopenmayer
Feb 15, 2006

Mayor of Pooptown

Paladine_PSoT posted:

A guy I know posted this on HBT and it actually turned out not too bad

BribieG posted:

Just bumping this old thread. Here in Australia we can't get Malt Liquor but we do import some of the 9% ABV headbanger lagers from the UK - I don't mind them occasionally.
After a bit of research on Malt Liquors I've done this attempt (pitching today)

There are two separate mashes, a main mash and a cereal mash.
Excuse the metric, pls feel free to convert - a kilo is about 2.2 lbs.

4 kg two row high diastatic Pilsener malt
330 g Carapils
200g Melanoidin

60 mins at 66 degrees Celsius

Cereal mash:

1 kg polenta and 1 kg rice boiled to a mush, cooled down to a high mash temperature, then 1kg of extra malt stirred into the mixture to give a temperature of 70 degrees celsius. The thick paste immediately collapses into a runny soup which is alarming but neat
Hold for 20 minutes then raise to boiling. At this stage US breweries would tip the boiling 'cooker mash' into the main mash to bring the whole lot to sach rest temperature.
My maths are awful so I just let the cereal mash cool down to sach rest then mixed into main mash.

From then on, a normal mashout and boil with 20g Chinook 60 minutes and 600g of white sugar in the boil. I've probably way over hopped it - sorry rappers and homies who may be offended by such astringent bitterness

I'm fermenting with US-05 and a short lagering at 4 degrees before kegging. Then I'll run it off into forties - yo - and store cold, I'll fizz them individually with my blue carb cap before drinking as I'd like to quaff straight out of the forties without getting yeast swirling up

Apparently it was very smooth and had nice malty overtones

Mayor Poopenmayer fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 2, 2013

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm thinking about making a smallish (~3gal) batch of beer to serve exclusively at the family Thanksgiving gathering this year. Since I've got 2 months left I should have plenty of time. Whats the most 'appropriate' thing to make for this time of year that would also be compatible with the Bud/Miller/Coors drinking set?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Sirotan posted:

I'm thinking about making a smallish (~3gal) batch of beer to serve exclusively at the family Thanksgiving gathering this year. Since I've got 2 months left I should have plenty of time. Whats the most 'appropriate' thing to make for this time of year that would also be compatible with the Bud/Miller/Coors drinking set?

Most BMC drinkers I know also love pumpkin and Christmas spiced ales so I would go with something along those lines. If you don't want to go for that, anything with low hop bitterness is usually a BMC crowd pleaser at my place.

On a related note, has anyone ever mashed with a whole box of graham crackers? I'm thinking about doing it for a pumpkin beer to give it a good crackery pie crust character.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

internet celebrity posted:

Most BMC drinkers I know also love pumpkin and Christmas spiced ales so I would go with something along those lines. If you don't want to go for that, anything with low hop bitterness is usually a BMC crowd pleaser at my place.

On a related note, has anyone ever mashed with a whole box of graham crackers? I'm thinking about doing it for a pumpkin beer to give it a good crackery pie crust character.

haha yes, i used a box of graham last time, and picked up a box of crumbs for this time. im also thinking of using real pumpkin in the boil (i probably cant fit in in my mash tun with other grains, we shall see)

i did get a flavor of it, but by the time i bottled pretty much everything dropped. im adjusting my methods and process to see if i can keep it around. im doing it later today in fact

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

internet celebrity posted:

The more reliable way to get this would be to use graham cracker extract.

http://capellaflavordrops.com/grahamcracker.aspx

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Sirotan posted:

Cream ales are usually a good choice.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Roundboy posted:

im also thinking of using real pumpkin in the boil (i probably cant fit in in my mash tun with other grains, we shall see)

We made 4 pumpkin beers over the past year in my house. 1 with pumpkin in secondary, 2 with pumpkin in the boil, 1 with pumpkin in the mash. We're absolutely in love with the idea of using real pumpkin in pumpkin beer.

I've seen no indication so far that adding pumpkin, at any stage, makes the beer better than it would have been if you added none at all (and usually causes horrible complications).

I say this in general, not necessarily at you.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

fullroundaction posted:

We made 4 pumpkin beers over the past year in my house. 1 with pumpkin in secondary, 2 with pumpkin in the boil, 1 with pumpkin in the mash. We're absolutely in love with the idea of using real pumpkin in pumpkin beer.

I've seen no indication so far that adding pumpkin, at any stage, makes the beer better than it would have been if you added none at all (and usually causes horrible complications).

I say this in general, not necessarily at you.

This is pretty much the consensus from everything I've read. Putting pumpkin in, at any step, only serves to up the gravity just a smidge, and gum up the works. It adds no discernable "pumpkin" flavor, and only allows you to call it a "true" pumpkin beer.

I know in glued my mash all to hell when I made my pumpkin last month.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I used can pumpkin in the book last time,and I had a wonderful flavor going into primary,and it gradually left by the time I got to bottling.

I came across a pie pumpkin,so i was going to give it a whirl,but I can see how this will stuck a mash. Really considering adding to a bag in the boil,the actual pumpkin should stick together better

It does impart a flavor,but I do admit much of what we know as pumpkin flavoring is more finger,allspice,nutmeg,cloves etc. Especially in something like a pumking.

Scheduled for after 1 pm today,I'm going to follow more closely the sugar additions and try and keep a bunch of pumpkin trub out of the carboy. I only ended up bottling 4 gallons,and put over 5 in the carboy.

Again,just trying to get a good,repeatable recipe for a delicious beer under my belt.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I did a pumpkin beer last year with pumpkin during the boil and yeah, it just gummed everything up. This year's brew just used a bunch of spicing and while it's still carbonating, so far it doesn't taste discernably different.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
I once added 15 pounds of roasted pumpkin to an old ale in the mash to see once and for all if I could get pumpkin flavor and the resulting beer had a noticeable squash flavor. Not pleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

Cream ales are usually a good choice.

Kolsch is also great for non-craft-beer people.