Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

quote:

Chained and starved their children. Oldest is 29.
17 year old girl escaped and called cops.
Cops thought she was 10 because of how malnourished she is.

Father worked as engineer, filed for bankruptcy in 2011. Started home schooling kids same year.

Wouldn't let other family members see them. Neighbours never saw the kids either.

Renewed their wedding vows in 2011, 2013 and 2015 at Elvis Chapel in Las Vegas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG_GQdRANkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_FShQVnJIw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Mw-AgH3jc

Jeffrey Dahmer has a new favorite as of 06:32 on Jan 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Jesus, the girl on the far-left in the second picture is not well.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The baby's the only one too young to threaten into smiling.

Pick posted:

Jesus, the girl on the far-left in the second picture is not well.
Yeah she's one of the ones I think is definitely in their 20s, but it's hard to tell because all of them have to be extremely malnourished if a 17 year old looked around 10. And the thing that gets me, the parents have kept them all alive. It's not neglect out of incapability, probably. They know how much they can feed them to keep them alive but small?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Also the fact that the parents apparently regularly renewed their vows with a big ol' family party is supremely self-centered, too.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

quote:

Kent Ripley presided over three ceremonies for David and Louise Turpin family three times in recent years and vividly remembers them.

"They didn't appear to be not healthy," he told Inside Edition of the children. "The only way I could tell the difference in their age was from their height because the older girls, they looked young and the boys looked all the same.

"Their family kept growing so I figured in a couple more years I’d see them again. Then I hear the news today and it's hard to believe that.”

http://www.insideedition.com/elvis-impersonator-who-presided-david-and-louise-turpin-renewed-their-vows-stunned-arrest-39855

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drat that guy is a terrible elvis impersonator

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mammal Sauce posted:

Some of them are a bit odd looking, but that doesn't mean you can just age them in dog years.

I think it... might be the lighting that all the girls look white as a sheet and the boys look like they have normal skin tone and have more normal looking faces, but maybe the guys were allowed to go out at least to do lawn work and the girls weren't

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Jesus missed the JD post nm

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Yea that one boy absolutely has something up, maybe down syndrome?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

veni veni veni posted:

drat that guy is a terrible elvis impersonator

My first thought too.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

PetraCore posted:

Also the fact that the parents apparently regularly renewed their vows with a big ol' family party is supremely self-centered, too.

I'm betting one or both parents have a narcissistic disorder.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Doubt it's her; she was 16 when they got married. (He was 23.)

They're also on some kind of Jesus' BFF Quiverful religious thing, which usually means Dad calls all the shots.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

I lost my mental bet. It's one of the girls that is the oldest. I was thinking it was one of the boys.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
This reminds me of that case in NJ where the foster boys were underfed for years and years and were the size of small children despite being in their late teens.

The thing is, there ARE some medical conditions that can cause kids to not absorb nutrition properly and/or have stunted growth and look frail or malnourished. So if you didn't get to look inside their house, you might think they'd just had several kids with the same disability. It's only in context that you can look at those pictures and realize how horrifying they are.

Link to a story on the NJ case: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/11/nyregion/95-pounds-heavier-angry-son-faces-mother-who-starved-him.html

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I'm from a tiny rural town in Africa and a looot of the kids look way younger than they are and almost everyone is like 20cm shorter than in Denmark on average. I have a cousin who is like 3 years older than me but she looks like she is 12 years younger than me. "At least" it's rarely on purpose but just that it used to be hard to get proper nutrition up there and the parents would always look as thin as their kids. It's nice to see the kids getting taller. :unsmith:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Sarcopenia posted:

I'm from a tiny rural town in Africa and a looot of the kids look way younger than they are and almost everyone is like 20cm shorter than in Denmark on average. I have a cousin who is like 3 years older than me but she looks like she is 12 years younger than me. "At least" it's rarely on purpose but just that it used to be hard to get proper nutrition up there and the parents would always look as thin as their kids. It's nice to see the kids getting taller. :unsmith:
There's a reason Cambodians are the smallest people in the world on average, and it isn't just "Asians are short lol."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pookel posted:

There's a reason Cambodians are the smallest people in the world on average, and it isn't just "Asians are short lol."

From keeping their heads down during Pol Pot's reign?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

Heh

Pick has a new favorite as of 02:53 on Jan 18, 2018

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Solice Kirsk posted:

Everyone knows about the "Killing Fields," but the famine caused by Khmer Rouge policies killed even more people than they killed directly.

http://cambodialpj.org/article/justice-and-starvation-in-cambodia-the-khmer-rouge-famine/

quote:

Sung Phareth is a survivor of this famine. Shortly after the Khmer Rouge revolution in 1975, when she was eleven years old, Phareth was assigned to a children’s work unit. The main assignments were to carry soil, dig dikes and help with the construction of a local dam. Phareth and the rest of her unit lived at the worksite, sleeping under a makeshift shelter made out of palm leaves. During this time Phareth received two daily food rations, which typically consisted of rice with rock salt and sometimes also included prahok[6] or fish soup. Phareth and her coworkers received these rations, which were relatively plentiful, because the dam her unit was working on was considered a highly important revolutionary project. Nonetheless, Phareth recalls being perpetually hungry and exhausted, as the rations were insufficient to sustain such hard labour.

After spending approximately three months living at the dam worksite, Phareth’s unit finished its assignment and local government officials hosted a celebration to commemorate their efforts. Phareth recalls that the celebration included a play, revolutionary songs and a mass marriage ceremony consisting of approximately one hundred couples. She recalls feeling proud, as she was praised for her hard work.

Only later did Phareth learn what happened to her two younger sisters during this time. Her grandmother, who was old and unable to work, had been placed in charge of them, but was too sickly from lack of food to effectively supervise them. The unattended little girls were so hungry that they ate dirt, became sick and swollen from lack of food and ingesting soil, and eventually died of illness and starvation.

A whole lot of Cambodian adults today were children or teenagers during this time, and it shows. (North Korea has similar issues but there's a lot less info available on their heights, iirc.)

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

pookel posted:

This reminds me of that case in NJ where the foster boys were underfed for years and years and were the size of small children despite being in their late teens.

I spent far too long trying to figure out what "un-derfed" meant.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

we should have known this was the work of robbie rotten

e: the genuine scariest thing to me here is the confused half-smile on the wife's mugshot; even without the crimes, this is someone who just isn't all there and i'm sure every moment of those kids' lives has been heartbreaking

RNG has a new favorite as of 01:40 on Jan 18, 2018

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Tardcore posted:

Yea that one boy absolutely has something up, maybe down syndrome?

Severe malnutrition can cause that look. It also impacts neurological development (the developing brain requires a lot of energy), so several of those kids likely have learning disabilities.

The 19-year-old who looked 10 case:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/27/nyregion/new-jersey-couple-held-in-abuse-one-son-19-weighed-45-pounds.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collingswood_Boys

Their claim was that the boys had medical problems.
Bruce (19) gained 95 pounds and 15 inches in a hair over two years:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/11/nyregion/95-pounds-heavier-angry-son-faces-mother-who-starved-him.html

The other boys rapidly improved as well:

quote:

Keith, who was 4 feet tall and weighed about 41 pounds when the boys were found in October 2003, is now 5 feet 2 and 126 pounds. Tyrone, who was 3 feet 3 and 28 pounds, is now 4 feet 4 and 66 pounds. Michael, now, 11, was about 3 feet tall and 23 pounds; he is now 4 feet 3 and weighs 63 pounds.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

pookel posted:

The thing is, there ARE some medical conditions that can cause kids to not absorb nutrition properly and/or have stunted growth and look frail or malnourished. So if you didn't get to look inside their house, you might think they'd just had several kids with the same disability. It's only in context that you can look at those pictures and realize how horrifying they are.

Link to a story on the NJ case: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/11/nyregion/95-pounds-heavier-angry-son-faces-mother-who-starved-him.html

The way their bodies bounced back is crazy. Once he started getting fed properly, Bruce grew half an inch per month for 27 months straight. I hope that didn't hurt too bad.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah the silver lining to this is that all 13 of them are now getting medical treatment and likely therapy and that the 2 year old is hopefully too young to remember later in life what the hell was going on in that household. They're all going to have varying degrees of catching up to do and the oldest may or may not be able to ever live independently, depending on how much lasting neurological damage there is, but they're in a far better situation right now.

I mean the grimmest take is 'foster care can be horrible and the adults will end up on the street once they're no longer emaciated' but I'm holding out hope they'll get the care they need. And like... even the foster care system would have to try really hard to be worse than whatever was going on, right?

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
In my area we had a case of a little boy who was only fed blended hot dogs mixed vegetable oil, if he ate at all. In that case the starvation was a deliberate punishment and honestly I would be shocked if that didn't pay a part in this case. Witholding food and extreme exercise are depressingly common forms of abuse because they don't leave marks and alot of people don't notice.

Alpha_Q
Jun 5, 2013

SamLikesCake posted:

Hence why I’m never having kids. I would probably OD them on ice cream. Then I would be included in this thread.

Content! I don’t recall seeing Douglas Garland mentioned yet. This sicko (allegedly) kidnaped and murdered three people over a petty grudge from years prior. The whole thing is deeply unsettling, from the daughter finding blood all over the house when she went to pick up her son, to an aerial photo of what clearly appears to be the bodies of two adults and a child on the property of the accused.

A page back, but... I was a juror for this trial. The aerial photos in question have never been made public on the request of the murdered child's family. Suffice it to say, they were clearly bodies, wearing nothing but the diapers in which Garland had dressed them. It was impossible to tell whether the three were dead or unconscious. Based on the tools Garland subsequently used, and the methods of torture he had searched in the weeks (months) leading up to the murder, I only hope they had already passed.

Alpha_Q has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Jan 18, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm sorry, man. That is really hard.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Peter Madsen's charge of manslaughter has been changed to homicide. They have also concluded that she was stabbed in her vaginal area while she was still alive.:gonk:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/16/peter-madsen-charged-with-submarine-of-kim-wall

I cant find a site in English about this but some idiots spray painted "Free Madsen" and "Uskyldig (innocent)" on his dumb submarine. The police are planning to destroy it which will probably be the only thing that would make him regret the murder.

E: Here is a link to a Danish site if anyone want's to google translate our unattractive language.
http://nyheder.tv2.dk/krimi/2018-01-16-graffiti-paa-ubaad-bedyrer-peter-madsens-uskyld-politiet-vil-have-den-destrueret

Sarcopenia has a new favorite as of 07:39 on Jan 18, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Sarcopenia posted:

Peter Madsens charge of manslaughter has been changed to homicide. They have also concluded that she was stabbed in her vaginal area while still alive.:gonk:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/16/peter-madsen-charged-with-submarine-of-kim-wall

I cant find a site in English about this but some idiots spray painted "Free Madsen" and "Uskyldig (innocent)" on his dumb submarine. The police are planning to destroy it which will probably be the only thing that would make him regret the murder.

E: Here is a link to a Danish site if anyone want's to google translate our unattractive language.
http://nyheder.tv2.dk/krimi/2018-01-16-graffiti-paa-ubaad-bedyrer-peter-madsens-uskyld-politiet-vil-have-den-destrueret
God dammit, what a horrible man.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Sarcopenia posted:

Peter Madsens charge of manslaughter has been changed to homicide. They have also concluded that she was stabbed in her vaginal area while still alive.:gonk:

This is the end of Manslaughter Madsen

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Taking bets on which Nordic Noir author first writes a book with a submarine torso killer as the antagonist.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

pookel posted:

(North Korea has similar issues but there's a lot less info available on their heights, iirc.)

Honestly you can see it pretty clearly in South Korea. Completely anecdotal but I see tons of barely 5 ft tall elderly people with 6'5 grandchildren. Hell until my generation the Scottish side of my family had like 1 known member over 6 ft.

For actual content, I was researching early flight and discovered a creeping fear of hot air balloon crashes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Luxor_hot_air_balloon_crash

quote:

Early on 26 February, an Ultramagic N-425 balloon,registration SU-283, operated by Sky Cruise departed on a sight-seeing flight carrying twenty passengers and a pilot. According to a nearby balloon pilot, Mohamed Youssef, a fire started in the Sky Cruise balloon a few meters off the ground as it was attempting to land, as a result of a leaking fuel line. As the fire engulfed the basket, the pilot and one passenger leaped to safety as the craft rose rapidly aided by a wind gust. As the balloon rose, approximately seven passengers jumped to their deaths to escape the fire. At an altitude of approximately 300 meters (980 ft), there was an explosion which could be heard several kilometers away.

Douche Wolf 89 has a new favorite as of 13:28 on Jan 18, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

This is the end of Manslaughter Madsen

But the birth of Murderous Madsen. Every cloud.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

PetraCore posted:

Yeah the silver lining to this is that all 13 of them are now getting medical treatment and likely therapy and that the 2 year old is hopefully too young to remember later in life what the hell was going on in that household. They're all going to have varying degrees of catching up to do and the oldest may or may not be able to ever live independently, depending on how much lasting neurological damage there is, but they're in a far better situation right now.

I mean the grimmest take is 'foster care can be horrible and the adults will end up on the street once they're no longer emaciated' but I'm holding out hope they'll get the care they need. And like... even the foster care system would have to try really hard to be worse than whatever was going on, right?
It sounds like they have extended family who had been kept out of the loop, so hopefully between them and the siblings who are legal adults, none of the little kids will end up in foster care.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

pookel posted:

It sounds like they have extended family who had been kept out of the loop, so hopefully between them and the siblings who are legal adults, none of the little kids will end up in foster care.

Every family member I've seen interviewed so far has been some flavor of God-bothering loony. The mother's sister has 7 kids and went on a 30-day water fast to improve her marriage.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

AlbieQuirky posted:

Every family member I've seen interviewed so far has been some flavor of God-bothering loony. The mother's sister has 7 kids and went on a 30-day water fast to improve her marriage.
A God-bothering loony who keeps all the siblings together and feeds them and allows them to leave the house is probably a better outcome for them than the foster care system, where they'd be split up and also face horrifyingly high rates of abuse and sexual assault.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe some rich celebrity couple will step up and adopt them. I'm sure the ensuing reality show based around it will be tastefully done with all proceeds set up to go to a trust in their name.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

pookel posted:

A God-bothering loony who keeps all the siblings together and feeds them and allows them to leave the house is probably a better outcome for them than the foster care system, where they'd be split up and also face horrifyingly high rates of abuse and sexual assault.

I doubt that lady would be able to care for 20 kids, some with special needs, even with the state foster care subsidy.

Also, my bad, it was a three-month fast. While she was breastfeeding. So not actually convinced she would feed them reliably.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

AlbieQuirky posted:

I doubt that lady would be able to care for 20 kids, some with special needs, even with the state foster care subsidy.

Also, my bad, it was a three-month fast. While she was breastfeeding. So not actually convinced she would feed them reliably.
Seven of them are legally adults and one of the "children" is the 17-year-old who escaped out a window and called 911, so while there may be quite an adjustment period, it's really not the same thing as having 13 new children. They will need lots of therapy for sure, but they may able to care for themselves to some degree (girls in those big fundy families in particular are often trained to do housework and raise their younger siblings, too). It depends on just how deprived they have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Most states' foster care systems will not split up sibling groups anymore. Placement might be difficult with that many children but the effort will be made by most states.