Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You can pay to make the problem go away. It's like s buck a month for 50GB.

I recommend this. Trying to manage the backups is a pain in the rear end and not having to worry about it is worth the $0.99 a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
My straight outta my rear end guess is it's got to do with photos in your message history.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Got my iPhone SE earlier today! Really like it, though the keyboard is gonna take some getting used to.

Unfortunately the sim tray bumps out of the side just a little bit. I checked my wife's old 5S and it's perfectly flush; when I put the tray from the 5S in the SE it also sits flush with the phone. If I go to the Apple Store and ask about a replacement sim tray will I get laughed out of the store?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

My straight outta my rear end guess is it's got to do with photos in your message history.

God damnit I think this was it. I thought I had that prune after 30 days on and I guess I never actually did it. Turned it on and reduced the backup size by 2gb.

Because why show everything included in the backup?

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

The Dave posted:

The iCloud backup UI is the dumbest poo poo.

iCloud sucks in general. Just disable the photos from your backup and it will probably be under 5gb. Let it do it's thing.

iCloud shits me because every time someone plugs in their iPhone to charge it will start backing up to iCloud and raping my 1mbit upload so Netflix/browsing/etc is unusable. :fuckoff:

dabs violently
Jul 27, 2013

bigis posted:

iCloud shits me because every time someone plugs in their iPhone to charge it will start backing up to iCloud and raping my 1mbit upload so Netflix/browsing/etc is unusable. :fuckoff:

stop being so generous with your wifi

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

lelandjs posted:

Got my iPhone SE earlier today! Really like it, though the keyboard is gonna take some getting used to.

Unfortunately the sim tray bumps out of the side just a little bit. I checked my wife's old 5S and it's perfectly flush; when I put the tray from the 5S in the SE it also sits flush with the phone. If I go to the Apple Store and ask about a replacement sim tray will I get laughed out of the store?

Of course not, but be sure to create a backup first, because they very well may end up giving you an entirely new phone.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

smoobles posted:

I muted a group chat (my wife and mom keep chattering all day) but it's still making my phone ding and vibrate. What gives? Am I doing something wrong?

Go to settings - notifications - messages

Then scroll all the way down and check if "repeat alerts" is set to never.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I belong to iTunes Match, but not iTunes Music - I used to have an option to see all my available music, and then only download what I wanted. But now it seems like I can either only see what's already downloaded to the phone... or I can "enable iCloud music library" and download every loving thing in my entire Match library. No in between. What's up?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
In settings - music, if you turn on iCloud Music Library, you'll see (but not automatically download) your entire Match library.

A least that's how it works for me, also a Match subscriber.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

In settings - music, if you turn on iCloud Music Library, you'll see (but not automatically download) your entire Match library.

A least that's how it works for me, also a Match subscriber.

Yeah this is what should happen with iCloud music library. It'll take a while because it's still a fair amount of data.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
You're right, and I'm a dummy. When I first did it I clicked into an artist and then the "..." menu, and saw "delete from My Music" - that, combined with a sort of flashing/jittering like it was trying to download a lot at once (it was loading my library) made me think it was trying to pull in all of it.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Just picked up a 6S, this thing is pretty cool. I've never had a flagship before, coming from a refurbished 5s. Anything cool I should know that isn't obvious? Is this 3D touch thing as useless as it seems?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Cowboy Pope posted:

Just picked up a 6S, this thing is pretty cool. I've never had a flagship before, coming from a refurbished 5s. Anything cool I should know that isn't obvious? Is this 3D touch thing as useless as it seems?

3D touch is amazeballs for moving your cursor around.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

if you're wondering if 3d touch is useful just imagine how i feel every time i use force touch on my mbp.... sometimes define a word on my mbp, most of the time fail at even that

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

It's really nice to be using the thing every site's mobile design is laid out for, I'll say that. Keyboard is terrible but I'll adapt

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ethanol posted:

if you're wondering if 3d touch is useful just imagine how i feel every time i use force touch on my mbp.... sometimes define a word on my mbp, most of the time fail at even that

The only thing I miss 3D Touch for is the multitasking gesture, other than that I never used it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You can pay to make the problem go away. It's like s buck a month for 50GB.

This is what I eventually did. The time I spent icloud space janitoring was worth more than $12 dollars a year.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
Can anyone recommend an equivalent of Status Board for the iPhone instead of an iPad? Thinking of getting a docking station, would be nice to have something like that.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

MarcusSA posted:

I recommend this. Trying to manage the backups is a pain in the rear end and not having to worry about it is worth the $0.99 a month.

I also really recommend this. The fact that I even had to think about it before and spend any time on it is ridiculous. $1 a month is completely unnoticed and the joy of not even loving thinking about iCloud backups is really nice. Backed up camera roll finally! Woo!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Is it worth getting a glass screen protector for my new iphone 6S? And what brand is best - Zagg?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

Is it worth getting a glass screen protector for my new iphone 6S?

no

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The only accessory worth getting is the Apple Brown Leather Case.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He means saddle brown.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

Is it worth getting a glass screen protector for my new iphone 6S? And what brand is best - Zagg?
I'll never not use a tempered glass protector on my phones. You can find loads of them for under $10. Definitely not for drop protection and more for the less resistant feeling when scrolling your finger and less fingerprints and scratch protection.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

MarcusSA posted:

He means saddle brown.

Well I already hosed up then. Forgive me Steve Jobs.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So you put a layer of glass on your layer of glass?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A layer of glass that is cheaper than the first layer of glass and protects your investment!

And also makes the device less responsive and enjoyable to use. Also it's ugly.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
"I've never scratched my phone" - the shut-ins from this thread.

Meanwhile, those of us that go hiking or to beaches recognize that that errant piece of sand stuck on your thumb will scratch the screen, resulting in lower sale prices around upgrade time. Since I've never paid more than $3 for a tempered glass protector, I feel safe and secure in my decision.

If you never leave the house, I'm sure you feel safe and secure in your decision too.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I've hiked with my phone, kayaked with it, worked some intense and varied jobs with it, taken it to the beach and ridden halfway across on the country on a motorcycle with it. Never got a scratch. Eat poo poo bobfather.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

xzzy posted:

And also makes the device less responsive and enjoyable to use. Also it's ugly.

What have you used that has reduced responsiveness and was even noticeable?

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I've hiked with my phone, kayaked with it, worked some intense and varied jobs with it, taken it to the beach and ridden halfway across on the country on a motorcycle with it. Never got a scratch. Eat poo poo bobfather.

Over time my ears will slice the glass in such a fashion that only tempered glass can protect. It's beautiful, really.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
What is the resale difference in a very slightly barely noticeably scratched 1yr+ old iPhone and one that had a screen protector? $20? Good call dudes.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ddogflex posted:

What is the resale difference in a very slightly barely noticeably scratched 1yr+ old iPhone and one that had a screen protector? $20? Good call dudes.
Not completely answering your question, but I've found that a freshly-replaced iPhone can up the resale price considerably, which is why I just get AppleCare for $99 and go without a case or screen protector. I find I get most of the $99 back on resale when I swap it for a fresh phone at the Apple Store the day I decide to sell it.

But once again, everyone keep making strange lifestyle assumptions or otherwise exclusionary judgements based on what people do with their phones. God drat this thread continues to suck.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 20, 2016

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
So you pay for apple care, then you pay an extra 99 for a new phone and you think you get all that money back vs selling a slightly scratched iPhone?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

So you pay for apple care, then you pay an extra 99 for a new phone and you think you get all that money back vs selling a slightly scratched iPhone?
I don't pay an extra $99 to replace it, just the AppleCare. It's not that hard to get a replacement phone under AppleCare without resorting to a damage replacement or fraud.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's not that hard to get a replacement phone under AppleCare without resorting to a damage replacement or fraud.

I'll bite: How?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Hey my phone is damaged, I have AppleCare+ and would like to get it replaced. Will you do this?"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

"Hey my phone is damaged, I have AppleCare+ and would like to get it replaced. Will you do this?"
Did you miss the part where he's not using a damage replacement?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

All of that sounds pretty pedestrian. What I’m saying is, that’s no speedmaster in poo poo treatment to really test the durability.