Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

actionjackson posted:

I actually did make the jump haha. It was just to get the izalith tome

You can also get the ballista to shoot the ground and make a hole almost right next to the bonfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't even realise that happened I just saw a hole and ran into it, that being my natural instinct.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Well that would have saved me headaches.

For a Pyro build, is chaos infusion better damage wise than flame of carthus ? I'm using a raw longsword

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Help Im Alive posted:

The Dark Souls 2 NG+ was worth playing for sure

That's because DS2 was the best game in the entire series even if it did have an elevator that did not meet certain standards of believeability in a world full of vase disguises, molesty handmonsters, poison cockgoblins and magically appearing phantoms.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
:stare: Huh, you can combine Lothrian and Lorian's swords together to get a super version of their swords

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Let say I'm 2hing a weapon in order to meet the strength requirement (x1.5, right?), do I still get the scaling penalty for not meeting the natural requirements?

also,

BillmasterCozb posted:

:stare: Huh, you can combine Lothrian and Lorian's swords together to get a super version of their swords

????

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

actionjackson posted:

Well that would have saved me headaches.

For a Pyro build, is chaos infusion better damage wise than flame of carthus ? I'm using a raw longsword

As I understand it, a buffed weapon is always going to be better than an infused weapon.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Ether Frenzy posted:

That's because DS2 was the best game in the entire series even if it did have an elevator that did not meet certain standards of believeability in a world full of vase disguises, molesty handmonsters, poison cockgoblins and magically appearing phantoms.

it's really blowing my mind to think that DS2 was actually the best mechanically realized game, even though the story was probably the least interesting. it tried to be vaguely mysterious but it was too vague to the point where it just felt meaningless (and yes i get the joke that all desire is meaningless and the lesson vendrick was teaching was that ridding yourself of want was the true victory). but man, the actual implementation of the game was loving tight.

the first time you step back into NG+ and there's red phantom dudes in the starter zone and you're like "pfff whatever i bet these dudes are chumps" and then their falcons 2 shot you while the actual swordsman crabwalk-hovers sideways at you at lightspeed was intense.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Well, I finished game. Final fight was fun if somewhat weird, didn't really feel like a final boss. It's a great game and the best PC port so far but overall I do feel a bit disappointed with DS3.

The game feels far too "safe" in almost every aspect from mechanics to locations to the story.

I was originally neutral about all the references and returning stuff, but after playing the game I think I would have preferred it if the game did it's own thing and kept the references subtle.

While most of the areas themselves are well designed the linearity of the world really hurt the experience for me. The path forward is always clear which makes the game lose some sense of adventure and mystery. I also found myself missing the freedom of choice I had in DS2.

As others have pointed out the game also has balance and bug problems but those will hopefully be fixed by From. For me the game's strengths were definitely the bosses and the well designed areas. Right now I'd place it above vanilla DS2 but below the whole SOTFS package, though the DLCs might change that.

kikkelivelho fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 24, 2016

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Anyone given Caestus a go, yet? They were great fun in DS2 and ended up being a favorite playthrough.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Einwand posted:

You don't. That hole is too large to jump over and it's meant to make you wonder how to reach it when you see it from the other side. Reaching that bonfire requires you to go through pretty much the whole zone, and it gives you a bonfire that pretty much just exists to be slightly closer to the boss.

you can make that jump. i just unequiped everything and stuck to the right side.

Viperix posted:

Anyone given Caestus a go, yet? They were great fun in DS2 and ended up being a favorite playthrough.

they pretty much suck

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Babe Magnet posted:

Let say I'm 2hing a weapon in order to meet the strength requirement (x1.5, right?), do I still get the scaling penalty for not meeting the natural requirements?

also,

????

I saw the option to fuse them together at Ludleth, and..I sure as hell did

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
In the last five minutes I've been parried by a headless, one-armed skeleton, killed by a giant rolling skeletal ball, and then killed by the ball again when I discovered it rolls BACK UP THE loving STAIRS.

:supaburn:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Viperix posted:

I am!

They are not nearly as good, since the weapon art is fuckin' turbo useless since poise is either broken or awful right now.

They put out deece damage and unlike DS2, the durability isn't a concern anymore. Here's a hot pro-tip for would-be caestus users: hold it in your offhand and just hold the 2h button to 2h it. If you hold it in your off-hand and you're NOT 2hing it, instead of having a useless L2 weapon art, you get a parry, and no one sees that poo poo coming.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Fallen knight set is the new drangleic armour. Its what I see people wearing the most by far, usually accompanied by the newbie standbys; the katanna or irthyll blade.

Viperix posted:

They are garbage compared to their DS2 implementation. Not as bad as they were in DS1 but a far cry from being a solid choice.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 24, 2016

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Holy poo poo those 3 hand thing in the Profaned Capital

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The biggest problem with caestii is that they have no range and they're surprisingly slow. because pvp is awful right now, you're going to be fighting Dark Swords, Estocs, and Greatswords, and all those have infinite range, are faster than you (you'll trade with greatswords 100% of the time) and they use just a tiny bit more stamina than you so they're still going to slap you 6 times before you can get a punch out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Winkie01 posted:

Holy poo poo those 3 hand thing in the Profaned Capital

At least they don't respawn when you kill them.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Just in case you were curious, Demon Fist sucks too for the exact same reasons (slow+no range)! :downs:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The caestus is pretty usable as a regular one-handed weapon, but it loses all its charm as a result

Also, does the Storm Ruler do anything fun like it did in Demon's Souls?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

homeless poster posted:

it's really blowing my mind to think that DS2 was actually the best mechanically realized game, even though the story was probably the least interesting. it tried to be vaguely mysterious but it was too vague to the point where it just felt meaningless (and yes i get the joke that all desire is meaningless and the lesson vendrick was teaching was that ridding yourself of want was the true victory). but man, the actual implementation of the game was loving tight.

the first time you step back into NG+ and there's red phantom dudes in the starter zone and you're like "pfff whatever i bet these dudes are chumps" and then their falcons 2 shot you while the actual swordsman crabwalk-hovers sideways at you at lightspeed was intense.

Agreed, I don't know what the hell the story was meant to be other than "I guess I'll hit X until this person starts repeating themself' but everything is so tight, gameplay wise, in so many different builds - and that first step into NG+ and all you smugly thought you knew about the game is suddenly.. not - that is an all time classic gaming moment.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I swar on me mum if Bone Fist isn't in onna the DLCs imma bust 'em in they gob

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Just hit 1 mil souls farming silver knights.
18 helms
21 armors
21 gloves
23 pants
~300 titanite shards
and
4 ears.

Well this is going to be rough.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

BillmasterCozb posted:

I saw the option to fuse them together at Ludleth, and..I sure as hell did

Pics or it didn't happen. Do you fuse one into the other or...what?

Edit: Huh, it does exist. Wonder what kind of stat distribution works best on that thing. What a weird weapon.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 24, 2016

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Ether Frenzy posted:

Came up with (unoriginal) stupid gimmick, no one will fight me they all just want to wave and then run into the fog. (spent literally minute on the face likeness)

I'm glad you did this; I posted about it a couple days ago but couldn't be bothered to spend time off my main char and make Prince.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Giant Isopod posted:

Just hit 1 mil souls farming silver knights.
18 helms
21 armors
21 gloves
23 pants
~300 titanite shards
and
4 ears.

Well this is going to be rough.

Jesus. I keep getting chained summoned for blue cops. I knew matchmaking has always been a little spotty and uneven but my god.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Oblivious posted:

Pics or it didn't happen. Do you fuse one into the other or...what?

http://imgur.com/a/YEWtf (Contains spoilers, I guess)

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Is there something additional (other than just killing her as you could anyway) you need to do to get yuria's stuff at the end of the game? I completed the game with her ending and thought it was supposed to be on the ground were she usually is at firelink but she's still standing there.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

BillmasterCozb posted:

lmaoing at your vitality

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

2016 and still scoring hits by slashing thin air due to Netcode from before the age of fire.
Shameful.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

BillmasterCozb posted:

You have 53 vitality and are still over 70%. What the gently caress are you wearing???

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't get the "i wish it did its own thing" complaint. it's the last game and is a sequel it better drat well have references and characters from the previous games.

bloodborne's my fave game ever and does its own thing but it isn't literally called "dark souls". when i play a game called "dark souls III" i want dark souls poo poo in it.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
So other than the sheild of want, the weird staff thing, the silver ring and the mimic head, are there any other armour pieces that increase souls gathered for farming?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shannow posted:

So other than the sheild of want, the weird staff thing, the silver ring and the mimic head, are there any other armour pieces that increase souls gathered for farming?

What are you farming souls for?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
So just got to the Princes fight. That's certainly a thing. :stare:

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Tracula posted:

Jesus. I keep getting chained summoned for blue cops. I knew matchmaking has always been a little spotty and uneven but my god.

It should go without saying I've had the covenant item equipped the whole time and gotten zero summons.

I made a new guy and joined blue sentinels right away. About 6 hours of dicking around on sacrifice road and got 2 summons, so it does work for me, but the rate is still painfully low.

Also I don't know if it behaved like this in 1 & 2 but the symbol of avarice continues to drain your health while sitting at the bonfire.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Messed up joining mound makers in NG, finally got it sorted in NG+ and am having an absolute blast murdering phantoms and hosts left and right.

Homing soul mass and a great heavy soul arrow kills everything with less than 1.5k hp and people seem really bad at dodging the first leaving them open for the latter. Hit detection is loving garbage at times though.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yolomon Wayne posted:

2016 and still scoring hits by slashing thin air due to Netcode from before the age of fire.
Shameful.

Nah I saw the standard souls hitbox jank surrounding rolls and i-frames, didn't look like netcode problems.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

BillmasterCozb posted:

It's been 3 games, you don't have to wear Havel's armor set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he's probably got like four huge great swords equipped