Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/888485733123608576

Uh, ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wonder if Jared Leto's scenes will be cut to pieces again.

Let's hope.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah if it's Blum House it's going to be a pretty low budget which seems like a mistake. But I'm guessing that they were the only ones willing to give McFarlane any input on the movie

Blumhouse is a boutique studio that makes (mostly) great low budget thriller/horror films though, especially recently (Get Out, Split). I think it's a solid move since there's no way in hell any of the larger studios would fund a big-budget Spawn remake. Going this particular route (~$10 million budget and below) seems like the only way a new Spawn film would ever get made.

Todd also did explain his idea for a new Spawn movie a little while ago on AMC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04KtQ3kfzPM

Maybe the Blumhouse production will be something similar to this in tone?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5tCbd4fgkw

Spawn was a big part of my childhood — mainly the action figures — and the '97 Spawn film, as poo poo as it is, will always hit me with a bit of nostalgia, so I'm pretty stoked to hear a new Spawn film is in the works finally :unsmith:

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 22, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Huh, with Tilda Swinton as Ivy I see. That's an interesting design.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It amazes me that Todd still thinks Spawn is a property anyone gives a gently caress about.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

It amazes me that Todd still thinks Spawn is a property anyone gives a gently caress about.

Spawn is one of those things from '90s comics that really makes me wonder what was wrong with us kids as an audience for that to actually become a hit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I wasn't old enough so that's all on you.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

I wasn't old enough so that's all on you.

Well I didn't buy it, I was speaking more in the general sense. All of my Spawn knowledge is through cultural osmosis via Wizard and friends that read it. And I think at some point I watched a episode or two of the HBO show.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'm pretty sure Commando Spawn was the first Spawn action figure I bought with my allowance. I didn't even know it was a comic then, I just thought the figure looked cool as hell. That's what got me started.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

For what purpose?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

teagone posted:

I'm pretty sure Commando Spawn was the first Spawn action figure I bought with my allowance. I didn't even know it was a comic then, I just thought the figure looked cool as hell. That's what got me started.

The one thing you couldn't knock was the toys. At that time McFarlane was so far ahead of the competition it was a joke.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

For sure. And yeah, looked it up, Commando Spawn was totally my first Spawn figure:

10 year old me went nuts over that poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

The one thing you couldn't knock was the toys. At that time McFarlane was so far ahead of the competition it was a joke.

A shame he didn't feel the need to reward the people he built that company on.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

It's all those dumbfucks out there thinking that their Spawn #1 is worth poo poo that make it still a thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have to wonder what he told them to convince them to let him direct when he has zero experience in directing literally anything. I mean, it's not like Blumhouse is hurting for successful IPs, he needs them more than they need him.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

X-O posted:

Spawn is one of those things from '90s comics that really makes me wonder what was wrong with us kids as an audience for that to actually become a hit.

I was very young when it came out, but my dad said it was pretty cool (though I don't know how much he actually bought, if any), at least until the power countdown got removed. I've only read one issue of the comic, my aunt got it for me one day in like, 2003, and seen the movie and first season of the animated series which gets a lot of love but I wasn't terribly enthralled by (beyond being a teenager and watching a series with blood and boobs, of course).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

teagone posted:

Looks better than Inhumans.

Everything does.

ImpAtom posted:

He revealed he had serious alcohol problems and stepped back to just acting.

Calaveron posted:

Well don't I feel like a dumbass

I'm totally down for drunk off his rear end Batman.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 22, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

X-O posted:

I just can't help but laugh at this.

Meh...I'm cool with it. The HBO animated series was quite good, a lot of the parts of the film weren't bad and even the comic itself was pretty good for a while. I honestly think this is the next step in comic book films as "Remember the 90's?!?!" becomes the next wave of nostalgia. Expecting Cable, Lobo and BloodBlood sooner than later.

this:

quote:

Last year, McFarlane said the film would not be a continuation of the 1997 film but instead be a fresh take that has "a dark, R-rated, scary, badass sort of script."

is less encouraging though.

whoa. Two double posts in one night. Gonna let it ride anyway

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

X-O posted:

We didn't know the 20 year olds behind the counter selling lovely comics for 50 to 100 dollars were idiots. Everyone was on the I'm gonna retire on these all these comics one day train. I do remember for a brief time believing this. Then superman died and well everyone learned their lesson on comic collecting even my 11 year old self. I stopped reading spawn around issue 15 is all I know because that's where my stack stops. Funny thing is I don't actually remember anyone talking about the story or the art past the first couple of issues.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Superman died for your comic book sins.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Came back in like 30 days too!

e: or 3, 13 whatever it was

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I think the Spawn movie was the first timed I realized things I liked could be bad. A valuable lesson learned.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Superman died for your comic book sins.

Well see in that case I don't care that my Superman #75 wasn't worth anything because I opened it like any sensible person would and read and enjoyed the hell out of it and all the stories that spun out of it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

For what purpose?

I'm going to go ahead and guess "money".

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

X-O posted:

Well see in that case I don't care that my Superman #75 wasn't worth anything because I opened it like any sensible person would and read and enjoyed the hell out of it and all the stories that spun out of it.

Did you seriously not buy two, one to open and read, and one to buy your future house with.

E: to stop my derailing. I went and saw spawn in theatres cause my buddies worked at the theatres when it came out and I've never left a theatre feeling cheated out of something that was free since.

Box wine fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 22, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spawn is like Luke Cage became the Ghost Rider then go the Venom symbiote. What's not to like?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Box wine posted:

Did you seriously not buy two, one to open and read, and one to buy your future house with.

E: to stop my derailing. I went and saw spawn in theatres cause my buddies worked at the theatres when it came out and I've never left a theatre feeling cheated out of something that was free since.

No I didn't. I was a child I wanted my drat poster and armband. That poster stayed on the back of my door for like three years.

Plus it was not really like you could've bought two if you wanted to. That thing was limited to one per customer at a first come first served basis and my Dad took off work to get it for me because he's a great man.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

X-O posted:

No I didn't. I was a child I wanted my drat poster and armband. That poster stayed on the back of my door for like three years.

Plus it was not really like you could've bought two if you wanted to. That thing was limited to one per customer at a first come first served basis and my Dad took off work to get it for me because he's a great man.

I wore my armband to school it was not my best preteen decision. I made my dad buy the second copy from another store across town by his work for me.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X-O posted:

My favorite memory of that era was that three other kids and myself bought the first issues of the Reign of the Supermen books, and shared them amongst eachother. I was Superboy, but I remember the Steel issue more.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Open Marriage Night posted:

My favorite memory of that era was that three other kids and myself bought the first issues of the Reign of the Supermen books, and shared them amongst eachother. I was Superboy, but I remember the Steel issue more.

The Steel issue had the art by Bogdanove, which whether you liked it or not definitely leaves an impression.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Was that the one with the really fat dude that Steel used his boot thrusters on his gut?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Roth posted:

This post was worth this entire discussion

Much thanks

This movie must be co-sponsored by Halloween City and Spirit Halloween.

X-O posted:

Spawn is a good idea on paper, it's just that Todd McFarlane is not good at making comics. The cartoon was pretty decent and I remember liking that Sam and Twitch comic that Bendis did aeons ago, despite some odd creative choices like horrible lettering combined with no speech balloons.

Open Marriage Night posted:

90s Superboy is the greatest hero of all time, he saved Hawaii single handedly

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

What? Shops had preorders back then my dude. I ordered two for myself and my mom (who let me skip school!) grabbed a third.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

I mean, I'm seeing it on eBay for like $2 so I don't think you need to have any regrets.

The Spawn movie was bad, but it has one loving stellar soundtrack so it was all worth it. How come more soundtracks (or just albums) don't feature awesome mash-ups between rock bands and techno artists? poo poo like that is STILL mad popular if you ever look at YouTube.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 22, 2017

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Al Borland Corp. posted:

With red hair, I can kind of see it.

She is a nice and willowy.

:D

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Rhyno posted:

What? Shops had preorders back then my dude. I ordered two for myself and my mom (who let me skip school!) grabbed a third.

I think some stores applied one per customer to preorders too because it was gonna be so hot and buying one would pay for college

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Tilda Swinton as Poison Ivy is better than the DCEU deserves. I look forward to hating the movie but enjoying finally getting a good Poison Ivy figure from one of the import companies.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was joking about that

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I was joking about that

You're a bad person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Al Borland Corp. posted:

People in this thread are reacting to this news but where is it coming from? It's not in that link, and there's no news about it when I search; all I find is someone's Deviantart mockup from 2009. Or is there a joke that went completely over my head?

• Locked thread