Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Gorilla Salad posted:

I saw a documentary about that once with Jean-Claude Van Damme.

I remember that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrffFB04qOk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I saw a lady do three circles around a parking lot, honk her own tits, and then walk in and out of a restaurant several times. New TCM "exercise" routine?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Haier posted:

I was waiting to cross the street and a hot-yellow Lambo pulls up and starts vrooming before the light turned green. When it was allowed to go, it went very slowly. I ducked a little to see who was driving and it was a fat Buzzcut tuhao in the passenger seat and his tuhao wife behind the wheel, with their 1-2 year old toddler sitting in her lap facing her, playing with toys (since there was no backseat for a carseat or a grandparent to limply hold the kid).

Welcome to Vancouver.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
As I was walking home from class today there was a row of those rental bikes on the left hand side of he path and a guy with his head turned fully around not looking where he was going coming towards me on the right hand side of the path. I'd just finished passing the row of bikes so moved to the left a bit so the idiot wouldn't walk into me, when he suddenly veered right into me. He shouted excuse me and then angrily tried to push me which didn't really work as he was tiny. He then tried to shove past me to my left, knocked himself off balance and then fell into the bikes he hadn't seen. I shouted excuse you at him and walked off.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

The Great Autismo! posted:

so last night was pretty weird. i went out with work investors and then the university we work with in the united states, and i was the first one at the restaurant, and immediately like 9 waitresses all dressed up, standing in a line, stared at me hardcore when i got in. i thought maybe it was going to double as a prostitution house, it was really weird, i'm used to stares but not from the younger generation. i had kinda dressed up but even then i'm not that good looking to get all nine waitresses eyefucking me. i talked to two of them, they kept giggling, it was like...super weird.

then i went to our private room and immediately my coworker told me "we're in a north korea restaurant" and they told me that all the waitresses were north koreans who came to china, studied chinese for 6 months, lived in the restaurant and weren't allowed to leave. then i understood why everyone was staring at me, i was probably the first ever Real Live Foreigner (with blue eyes and long blond hair) they had ever met.

i wanted to take pictures but i was told i shouldn't. we had deer, blowfish soup, some exotic spicy fish head that was much better than i thought, and i ended up p drunk. every time the waitresses came in i couldn't stop looking at them, they were all so beautiful and i really wanted to talk to them and ask them like a million questions, but i don't even know if i was allowed to.

i've only met one other north korean in my entire life and the dude was a total rear end in a top hat.

anyway that's my story thanks for reading

Post that in the lovely thread and see what the tanky mod thinks.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

If he doesn't, I will

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

hakimashou posted:

On the one hand it would be a cool story to go to one but on the other, the money might get back to NK.

uhhh yeah thats kind of their whole reason for existing

apparenlty the positions are very very prestigious and difficult to get, the korean goverment is literally selling its most beautiful and highet acheivers into prostitution

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

The Pyongyang restaurant chain is NK operated and is to get hard cash back to the country, yes. There's a whole bunch of them around Asia and some in Europe.

There's none in Europe anymore as the ones in the Netherlands closed down. That story was funny too. Opened with Dutch co-owners (to get the visa), once running the workers went on strike and the restaurant closed down, then suddenly they all start working at a new restaurant with 100% NK ownership.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
i saw one of those staged "taichi is superior" videos on weibo last night, i'll post it if i can find it again. basically a guy in drapey white is fighting a boxer, and his stance is like that mma video but he fights by doing these open-palmed haymakers with the backs of his hands while the boxer throws a few halfhearted punches and hides behind his gloves while taking a bunch of weak slaps on the top of his head. eventually they end the fight and he clearly is the loser against chinese martial arts

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I love that the excuse when they lose is always "he was wearing the wrong shoes". If your martial art can be defeated by a guy wearing shoes maybe it's a lovely martial art.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

I love that the excuse when they lose is always "he was wearing the wrong shoes". If your martial art can be defeated by a guy wearing shoes maybe it's a lovely martial art.

I think I might have seen this video in this thread but I'm not sure? Anyway, Chinese guy starts making excuses about keyboard lag so they call his bluff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4KtQrhdyWA

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

I think I might have seen this video in this thread but I'm not sure? Anyway, Chinese guy starts making excuses about keyboard lag so they call his bluff.

of course the mouthbreather loses

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
https://zippy.gfycat.com/LikableVariableCaracal.webm

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Here we see the adult warning off a small parasite pestering its flanks by means of a toxic ink cloud.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-economy-consumergoods-idUSKBN1840FP?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

quote:

From carrot-flavored toothpaste and charcoal facemasks to motorcycles and solar panels, visitors to North Korea say they are seeing more and more locally made products in the isolated country's shops and supermarkets, replacing mostly Chinese imports.

As the Trump administration considers tougher economic sanctions to push the isolated country toward dismantling its weapons programs, North Korea is pursuing a dual strategy of developing both its military and economy.

The majority of consumer products in North Korea still come from China. But under leader Kim Jong Un, there's been an attempt to sell more domestically made goods, to avoid any outflow of currency and to reinforce the national ideology of juche, or self-reliance, visiting businessmen say.

There is no available data to show how much is being produced domestically. Export data from countries like China and Malaysia, which sell consumer goods to North Korea, may not be an accurate reflection.

China's commerce ministry declined to comment when asked whether China's exports to North Korea were decreasing due to an increase in locally-made products.

Visitors say that with the impetus from the top, large North Korean companies like military-controlled Air Koryo, the operator of the national airline, and the Naegohyang conglomerate have diversified into manufacturing consumer goods including cigarettes and sports clothing.

North Korea is one of the most insular countries in the world and visits by foreigners are highly regulated.

A Reuters team that was in the capital Pyongyang last month was allowed to go to a grocery store, accompanied by government minders, where shelves were filled with locally made drinks, biscuits and other basic food items. Other visitors have seen locally made canned goods, coffee, liquor, toothpaste, cosmetics, soap, bicycles and other goods on sale in the city.

"As new factories open, the branding, packaging and ingredients of our food products have improved," said shop assistant Rhee Kyong-sook, 33.

Kim Chul-ung, a 39-year old physical education teacher visiting the store, said: "I can taste real fruit in the drinks that are made in North Korea, compared to drinks from other countries."

Visitors say locally made consumer goods are becoming increasingly sophisticated and QR or matrix barcodes can been found on a wide range of products from make-up to soft drinks. Market vendors are also becoming more competitive, offering samples of their food to shoppers, something they didn't do five years ago.

"Around 2013, Kim Jong Un started talking about the need for import substitution," said Andray Abrahamian of Choson Exchange, a Singapore-based group that trains North Koreans in business skills.

"There was clearly recognition that too many products were being imported from China, not just high-end consumer goods but also lower-end ones like food."

"MY HOMELAND"

Air Koryo's range of products now includes cigarettes, fizzy drinks, taxis and petrol stations.

"Naegohyang", or "My Homeland", began as a Pyongyang-based tobacco factory, but has expanded in recent years to produce playing cards, electronic goods and sports clothing. The company even sponsors a women's football team of the same name.

The North Korean companies were not available for comment and do not publish revenue or profit statements. It was not possible to identify any joint venture partners.

Traders and retail experts said the North Korean market was attractive, thanks to a growing class of "donju", or "masters of money," who generate wealth in a gray market economy that is being increasingly recognized and controlled by the state.

"The North Koreans increasingly don't want Chinese products because they think they are poor quality," said a trader from Southeast Asia who exports consumer goods to North Korea. The trader did not want to be identified. :stare:

China has been rocked by a number of food safety scandals in recent years, including contaminated rice and milk powder.

"Mothers in North Korea are no different to mothers in China or Canada, they want to feed their babies the best possible food," said Michael Spavor of Paektu Exchange, which brings delegations of investors, tourists and academics into North Korea.

"I've seen people in a store in North Korea comparing a Chinese and a Korean product and picking the Korean one," he said.

STILL RELIANT

Nevertheless, North Korea is still heavily reliant on trade with China and the vast majority of raw materials to make consumer products still come from or through China.

For example, while domestically-made instant coffee is becoming increasingly common, the sugar used in it would likely come from China or another country that produces sugar and pass into North Korea via China, says Abrahamian.

"We're seeing a rise in domestically-made products, including motorcycles, solar panels and food, but the business relationships on which these products depend on are still Chinese."

Because of the reliance on China, it is likely these "Made in North Korea" companies will suffer if stiffer economic sanctions are imposed on the country.

Diplomats said this week Washington was negotiating with China on a possible stronger U.N. Security Council response - such as new sanctions - to North Korea's missile launches.

"If you have a coal mining town of 10,000 people who are all in some way connected to the coal industry, then when sanctions are imposed against North Korean coal, the whole town's consumer market will suffer because people don't have the buying power anymore," said Abrahamian.

God drat, even the North Koreans are ragging on the quality of Chinese products.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
https://zippy.gfycat.com/GleefulTastyDachshund.webm

I'm the windshield wipers.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

...how? Lol

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

sadly the man had to pay for damages as you can't murder cars or buildings

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

You know how the elderly (like those 80-+ year old driver) sometimes forget the difference between the accelerator and the brake pedal?
That, but in China it doesn't discriminate by age. I saw a lady in a Porsche Cayenne do that in front of a hot pot restaurant and take out 8 or so cars.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Blistex posted:

You know how the elderly (like those 80-+ year old driver) sometimes forget the difference between the accelerator and the brake pedal?
That, but in China it doesn't discriminate by age. I saw a lady in a Porsche Cayenne do that in front of a hot pot restaurant and take out 8 or so cars.

A lot of the time the news media puts the blame on women wearing high heels:

https://my.mixtape.moe/epcity.mp4

Search on weibo for 女司机高跟鞋 and you'll get a ton of accident videos.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

This is only sort of about china: http://io9.gizmodo.com/5958919/read-ken-lius-amazing-story-that-swept-the-hugo-nebula-and-world-fantasy-awards

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

big time bisexual posted:

hmmm depressing this pedal while wearing heels is kind of tricky, i wonder if there is a way to quickly remove a heel'd shoe from my foot while driving

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

lol its best of 3 but the final round is suddenly worth 3 points and will decide the winner with the Chinese guy coincidently 2 (3) nil down.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

They're all run by NK and the waitresses are basically prisoners.

Every time I think about going to one, I remember that and I can't.

I went to the Pyongyang restaurant in Siem reap, the girls there were desperate for social interaction, while the older women yelled at us because we took a photo and video. It was really sad, you could tell they were prisoners.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Kharnifex posted:

I went to the Pyongyang restaurant in Siem reap, the girls there were desperate for social interaction, while the older women yelled at us because we took a photo and video. It was really sad, you could tell they were prisoners.

Yeah, that's the one I planned on going to, but at the last minute I just couldn't do it.

Are you not supposed to take pictures? I read that was okay, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was de facto forbidden.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know you end up needing some pretty flexible morals to work/live in China and survive, but not going to the NK slave girl restaurant seems pretty easy to avoid.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

You know the food is good when slaves made it!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

I know you end up needing some pretty flexible morals to work/live in China and survive, but not going to the NK slave girl restaurant seems pretty easy to avoid.

ya i didn't go there on purpose, i went there because that was where our investor took us

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

It's definitely easy to avoid not going, but it's even easier not to go at all.

Interesting and sad is that their main clientele are South Korean tours and businessmen. You can see it easily as you leave the Siem Reap airport- there's like a Korean conference center/restaurant/hotel enclave on the way. IIRC they have two NK restaurants now along that strip.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I was looking at an inflatable mattress and someone had quite the nice meltdown in the comments section:

quote:

Work efficiency is so horrendous in the West it's mind boggling. 7 days to pack? Another 7 days to ship? Then probably 3 more weeks for it to arrive? Get outta here!

If this were China the item would be at my doorstep from anywhere in the country the next morning of my purchase on a 4 dollar shipping fee. Anything later than that is actually considered outrageous and deserving of negative reviews.

What I understand from friends who works in logistics in Asia, 50 orders is at MOST a 2-hour 1 person job, and this is all while taking coffee breaks and surfing the web in between. Do westerners pat themselves on the back after answering 2 emails then complains to their union how they had a stressful day and that they are not paid enough? Its not that other countries are taking your jobs, its YOU and your pathetic work ethics who brought yourselves into extinction. With some of the laziest people on the planet, no wonder the market in the West is in pieces and China overtaking the world almost everything.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I was looking at an inflatable mattress and someone had quite the nice meltdown in the comments section:

I think it was fojar who observed that it is always the most fervent nationalists that live abroad. Here he is right again with the guy you found on massdrop:

quote:

Well, that's because they are not "knock offs". Many Chinese companies has put a large sum of money into R&D just like the Japanese has in the late 70s. You are just seeing the beginning of that, just because it's Chinese doesn't automatically makes it a "knock off". Companies like DJI, Xiaomi etc are actually becoming the forefront of innovation thesedays. I asked my wife to bring a whole bunch of Toaks and Fire-Maple stoves and cookware from China recently because I think they are actually better than all other brands.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

BONGHITZ posted:

You know the food is good when slaves made it!

actually the food was terrible

pyongyang needs to get better slaves

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

big time bisexual posted:

This is bullshit because she's not driving with both feet like 90% of Mainlanders tend to do.

As someone who worked in packaging and shipping in a warehouse... LMAO.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Ahahaha

https://youtu.be/uKhYFFLBaeQ

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

lol

I mean he's right that shipping is really fast in Asia but other than that.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What the poo poo. Some people tried to pass off Australian denominated Chinese training notes in a pub.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-39853355

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

oohhboy posted:

What the poo poo. Some people tried to pass off Australian denominated Chinese training notes in a pub.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-39853355

lol this owns

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A Kiwi friend of mine has married her Chinese husband. She is mid-30s, got married last year. She has had some health issues but seems ok now. Hubby is around the same age and is the 2nd son. A musician (ex indie music scene) and I reckon he's slapped her around at least a couple of times (she had to stay at my place for a couple of nights soon after they got married because all of a sudden he realised he was married and the pressure of being a 'provider' (which he isn't, she supports him) got to him (I got wechat message messages saying he was going to throw all her belongings out of their 6 story apartment if she didn't contact him, usual passive aggressive Chinese emotional bullshit). They could not get married until the older brother had married. And they can't have kids until the older brother has a child first, despite my friend's advancing age (pretty sure she is now 38). I told her they should just go for it but she said nah, can't do it. The MIL would kill them and it would be a total loss of face for the older brother and his wife. How hosed up is that???

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

WOW I WANT TO WATCH EP2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A Kiwi friend of mine has married her Chinese husband. She is mid-30s, got married last year. She has had some health issues but seems ok now. Hubby is around the same age and is the 2nd son. A musician (ex indie music scene) and I reckon he's slapped her around at least a couple of times (she had to stay at my place for a couple of nights soon after they got married because all of a sudden he realised he was married and the pressure of being a 'provider' (which he isn't, she supports him) got to him (I got wechat message messages saying he was going to throw all her belongings out of their 6 story apartment if she didn't contact him, usual passive aggressive Chinese emotional bullshit). They could not get married until the older brother had married. And they can't have kids until the older brother has a child first, despite my friend's advancing age (pretty sure she is now 38). I told her they should just go for it but she said nah, can't do it. The MIL would kill them and it would be a total loss of face for the older brother and his wife. How hosed up is that???
I feel like there should have been a couple of red flags before they got married here.

• Locked thread