Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is the movie actually good not a troll real question

I didn't think so but almost everyone else did. It's better than a lot of other recent comic book movies but that's not a very high bar to cross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
The plot is a little bit meh but if you enjoy watching Wolverine cuss and murder for two hours, then this movie is for you. (I enjoyed it)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's a really solid movie that probably did suffer a bit from being overhyped. There was a lot of over the top praise being thrown around like "Oscar worthy" and "a successor to The Dark Knight" and it doesn't quite live up to all that, but on its own merits its a very good movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Absolutely gently caress yes. It's my third favorite of the year so far behind Get Out and John Wick 2.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

A lot of the appeal hinges on the feeling that the story transgresses in ways that aren't imaginable for a Big Hero movie, but are right at home in a spaghetti western.

Like imagining the future as a broken spectre of the Trump era, and presenting the aspirations of the X-Men as failures. It's all "How do you Hero when poo poo sucks and you don't want anything in life but to be left alone so you can die in peace"

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do I need to see cmens apocalypse

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

No, never.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

It's actually a pretty stand alone movie and you don't need to see any of the X-Men movies to watch it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

CPL593H posted:

It's actually a pretty stand alone movie and you don't need to see any of the X-Men movies to watch it.

They're all like that and that's why I like them.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Yes, it's a drama about an old man who's past his prime, all his friend's have died, and his body is failing him as he drinks between working multiple jobs to pay for medication and care for his ailing father (figure) when he discovers he has a daughter. And that man has knives for hands.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$8.82 - Saw 1-7: The Complete Collection (+ UV) https://www.amazon.com/Saw-The-Comp...d4317effaca1eca

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

You don't need to see Apocalypse, but it does have implicit connections to Days of Future Past and an explicit connection to The Wolverine that you will not catch unless that movie's fresh in your mind.

(I'm not talking about the katana. I'm talking about [SPOILERS FOR BOTH THE WOLVERINE AND LOGAN] how Yukio sees Logan's death in The Wolverine, and mentions that he's on his back, blood everywhere, with his heart in his hand. In The Wolverine, they play it off like he's going to die in the open heart surgery or something like that, which... doesn't happen. In Logan, however, Logan dies on his back, blood everywhere, holding Laura's hand- his heart. And the director has confirmed that this is absolutely not a coincidence.)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 26, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Sgt. Pepper set delivered today and is pretty awesome. The hi-res stereo (96KHz/24 bit) and DTS-HD MA 5.1 mixes have to be heard to be believed.

Also, it's confirmed The White Album is the next Beatles album to get the deluxe multi-disc/Blu treatment.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, it's confirmed The White Album is the next Beatles album to get the deluxe multi-disc/Blu treatment.
Does this also mean Giles Martin remix treatment? :swoon:

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Carnival of light confirmed.

E: :sigh:

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 27, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Egbert Souse posted:

The Sgt. Pepper set delivered today and is pretty awesome. The hi-res stereo (96KHz/24 bit) and DTS-HD MA 5.1 mixes have to be heard to be believed.

Was just wondering about that. It's kinda funny though because the earlier albums would benefit way more from a remix. But I guess the white album, like Pepper, has some of those really significant differences between stereo & mono that demand reconciliation. (For those wondering, the new stereo of Sgt. Pepper does indeed render "She's Leaving Home" at the correct, faster tape speed.)

I kinda hope they skip Abbey Road, though, because it would barely be noticeable. Even though it's my favorite album.

(I would still buy it.)

Unmature
May 9, 2008
If I buy a blu ray at Five Below the case looks janky and and kinda off brand. Will the disc and transfer be the same as the main release?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Sir Lemming posted:

Was just wondering about that. It's kinda funny though because the earlier albums would benefit way more from a remix. But I guess the white album, like Pepper, has some of those really significant differences between stereo & mono that demand reconciliation.

Well, they might benefit more from a remix, but a remix like Sgt. Peppers would be practically impossible.

So, with the exception of the first two albums, which were recorded to twin track, so everything I'm going to say applies even more so, everything before Revolver was recorded on one four track tape. So, pretty much, what you got is what you're going to get, at least in terms of stereo placement. So, a typical tape setup would be one track from drums and bass (and maybe rhythm guitar), another track for lead instruments, and then a track for vocals, and then a track for double-tracking or overdubs. Now, all of this is great for mixing in mono, but when it comes to stereo, well, it's hard to create a good stereo image with the way things were tracked.

So, if you listen to One (the 2015 version), you can hear how the remixed tracks from before the Revolver period don't really sound much better than the existing stereo tracks. For example, Ticket to Ride has pretty much the same stereo placement as the original 1965 stereo mix (I don't have the 87 remix, but I can't imagine it being much different). There's no real difference in terms of what you're getting.

Probably the only album that would benefit would be Rubber Soul, since George Martin mixed the stereo version with mono compatibility in mind, and so literally put nothing in the center (or maybe there's very little, I can't say since it's unlistenable and we have the mono mix). But then again, if you're going to do a remix, why settle for just slightly better bad 60s stereo.

I'll be curious to see what they do with the White Album though. At that point, the Beatles actually knew that people were buying both the mono and stereo versions of their albums for the differences, and so intentionally made different mixing decisions between the two. But at that point, stereo was definitely a thing bands had to pay attention to. By the point the White Album was released, a lot of British record companies had stopped issuing mono albums, and in America, barely any mono records were released in 1968 (by that point, Capitol was stereo only). The only exception were singles, which ironically, Apple was a leader in terms of going full stereo, at least for "Get Back" (US only) and on, with the exception of "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)," but that was a loving b-side. Who knows, that might give them a ton of freedom to do what they want.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The remixes suck until they learn to put the bass in the center channel and not stage left or right

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'm deaf in one ear so gently caress stereo

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I just got the Heat Director's Definitive Edition and, while I can't compare it to other versions, it looks and sounds great. Also the movie is still loving awesome.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Flicker Alley is releasing the 1925 silent The Lost World on September 19:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=21422

It's a new 2K restoration with the most complete version to date, with a new orchestral score. Also has deleted scenes/outtakes, a few Willis O'Brien shorts, and a booklet.

They're also releasing a MOD BD-R of A Page of Madness soon, but I think a proper release is pending as part of a collection of films.

Also, Kino Lorber confirmed they're releasing Woody Allen's Take the Money and Run.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I found a used copy of "High and Low" and now I need more kurosawa Blu ray in my life. Are Barnes and nobles sales the best way to get them for a good price (and when do they happen)?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Kingtheninja posted:

So I found a used copy of "High and Low" and now I need more kurosawa Blu ray in my life. Are Barnes and nobles sales the best way to get them for a good price (and when do they happen)?

Yes, July and November/December.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Nice! Thanks for the info. Did most of his movies make for good transfers?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Any Kurosawa Criterion is going to look stellar. Ran (which isn't a Criterion, sadly) looks a bit soft but it's not bad enough to offset what an amazing movie that is in the end so I'd still strongly recommend it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Kingtheninja posted:

Nice! Thanks for the info. Did most of his movies make for good transfers?

Not only are they good transfers, the Criterion versions generally have stellar extras.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Just buy every single Kurosawa criterion, you aren't going to be disappointed.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Was the recent re-rerelease of Kagemusha a new transfer?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

GonSmithe posted:

Just buy every single Kurosawa criterion, you aren't going to be disappointed.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just a warning that Seven Samurai can look a little rougher since the negative was lost decades ago, but all the Kurosawa releases are solid. I love how they included Perspecta stereo tracks on Yojimbo and Sanjuro. I think all of their releases are from 2K or 4K masters.

Dreams isn't in the same league as Seven Samurai or Yojimbo, but it looks absolutely stunning on Blu-Ray and might have the best 2.0 surround track I've ever heard.

On the subject of Yojimbo...

Kino Lorber confirmed they're releasing special editions of A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More from new 4K restorations. They already have The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly on the way in August. Their edition of GBU will include both the US theatrical and extended cuts with original English and Italian mono tracks.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I wish Cronenberg's Crash would get a blu-ray release.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Nate RFB posted:

Any Kurosawa Criterion is going to look stellar. Ran (which isn't a Criterion, sadly) looks a bit soft but it's not bad enough to offset what an amazing movie that is in the end so I'd still strongly recommend it.

Whats up with Ran anyway? The 4k restoration was supposed to be for sale last year but amazon is unclear if it's selling that version

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Whats up with Ran anyway? The 4k restoration was supposed to be for sale last year but amazon is unclear if it's selling that version

It's in the black hole that is the StudioCanal library, which Lionsgate has US rights to. They demanded an exclusive license to the entire library, which is why Criterion had to take dozens of titles out of print all at once and more later. Criterion managed to get around this with the Jacques Tati titles because his estate stepped in and asked StudioCanal to bypass Lionsgate.

Lionsgate is also sitting on restorations of The Tales of Hoffmann, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Kind Hearts and Coronets, and Peeping Tom plus a lot of titles with UK/French releases but none here. They do this mainly so they can use the rights as collateral when financing new films.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'd love a Blu-ray of Kind Hearts and Coronets.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
loving worthless lionsgate

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Thelma Schoonmaker did say at one point that Criterion would still handle The Tales of Hoffmann, so perhaps they're just having to wait for a license to run out or some sort of deal. Most of the OOP titles I can't see Lionsgate wanting to bother with - it's not like they're going to do a Melville set when they don't even want to release the nine Hitchcock films they have rights to.

It's just dumb on Lionsgate's part since now no one is making any money off the films here and people will just import the UK editions.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'd love a Blu-ray of Kind Hearts and Coronets.

There's a bunch of Ealing comedies, including Kind Hearts, out in the UK all fully restored.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

not sure if I've mentioned it here before or not, but the french blu of Tales of Hoffmann is worth importing if you're impatient. presumably the same 4K transfer

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Flicker Alley has a double-feature of A Page of Madness and Portrait of a Young Man on BD-R (MOD):
http://www.moviezyng.com/818522018393.aspx

A Page of Madness has a new score by Alloy Orchestra, plus video discussion of the film from CUNY Television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Does anyone know if this Sign o The Times blu-ray is any good? I can't seem to find much about it online except one person on the blu-ray.com forums saying they "heard it was questionable".

• Locked thread