Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Are RATO bottles still a thing? That always seemed like the most :jeb: solution to a real world problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Nebakenezzer posted:

The US Army cuts to officers fall disproportionately on officers that worked their way up from noncoms. Also to save money they've adopted some system by which people retiring as Captains get a Sergent's pension instead

e: “They needed us to fight the Taliban,” Captain Allen said. “Now they don’t, so they pull the rug out from under us. Loyalty here seems like a one-way street.”

Dare I say this is true of most western military services now
This poo poo just sort of reminded me of an email I got a couple months back from military.com where the main article was "General says troops are ok with pay-cut" :laffo:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

Dare I say this is true of most western military services now

Well, at least it's better than being "volunteered" to lose all benefits and get shipped off to *accidentally get lost* in Ukraine.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Warbadger posted:

Well, at least it's better than being "volunteered" to lose all benefits and get shipped off to *accidentally get lost* in Ukraine.

This is a mighty low bar, my friend.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

This is a mighty low bar, my friend.

Well, yeah. Point was more toward the "Western" part of his statement. Veterans get hosed practically everywhere in some way and often in some pretty horrifying ways.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I mean honestly being force-retired with a healthy pension and benefits for life because of a massive drawdown thanks to your country's enormous crippling debt isn't really a particularly terrible injustice.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm pretty sure we don't use water injection anymore. …do we?

Edit: And civilian airliners did too! "Now departing from Dense Pillar of Smoke, with nonstop service to I Can't Hear Myself Think."

Water injection was an option on some models of DC-10. All of NWA's DC-10-40s were ordered with it, though it was deactivated in the eighties, and removed from the fleet in the nineties.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

bewbies posted:

I mean honestly being force-retired with a healthy pension and benefits for life because of a massive drawdown thanks to your country's enormous crippling debt isn't really a particularly terrible injustice.

the part where they're getting said pension cut in half for :airquote:reasons:airquote:, on the other hand, kinda is

PittTheElder posted:

Are RATO bottles still a thing? That always seemed like the most :jeb: solution to a real world problem.

I think mostly no, supplies of those were so low that the Blue Angels stopped doing RATO takeoffs with their C-130 in ... 2009? I know LC-130s that go to Antarctica have mounts for them but I don't know if they're still in use.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 14, 2014

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Psion posted:

the part where they're getting said pension cut in half for :airquote:reasons:airquote:, on the other hand, kinda is

It has been that way for almost 35 years and everyone who does OCS or G2G or whatever gets this all explained to them, it isn't like the military's retirement pay regulations are a deep dark secret. It always sucks to lose your job but at least these folks have a lifelong pension and benefits waiting for them unlike, say, the hordes of senior captains and majors on the chopping block who won't be able to do their 20. Or most civilians for that matter.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Beaten by a much more concise response.

Psion posted:

Well the reason has been known since forever. If you don't serve 8 years as an officer after going green to gold, you don't get an officer pension. The surprise is from those who have served 20+ years and were waiting to hit that 8 year threshold before they were going to choose to retire and suddenly finding that they are force retired and will make less off their pension than they would have if they'd stayed an NCO and been promoted once or twice in the meantime. Still not fun at all, but the pension rule isn't new. Getting told to get out is new. I'd have to look up the dates, but IIRC, the separation boards were being advertised, at least unofficially, at least as far back as summer of 2013, the message with guidance was formally published winter of 2013 (December I think), you had until March 2014 to get your records and files in order, and selected Officers were informed that they had 9 months to get out sometime in June/July of 2014.

If you're someone with nothing derogatory and perfectly "fine" evaluation reports, I can see being surprised by being forced out, though some branches were at greater risk than others. If you had something bad in your file, you really needed to start planning to be cut the second they made the announcement. Something like a DUI, bad OER(s), general officer memorandum of reprimand, etc and you were very high risk. Getting less than you planned for in retirement sucks; that's obvious, but it's a hell of a lot better than it could have been. For those not of retirement service requirements, there are severance packages that apply to those with over 6 years of service by the time they are discharged, which is a very large portion of those being pushed out.

Doing some very rough math, had I been pushed out, it would have been with a taxable lump sum $50K or so in hand, plus about 75 days of full wage leave to go try to find another job.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 14, 2014

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

TheFluff posted:

http://www.svd.se/naringsliv/folj-med-in-pa-muskobasen_4087985.svd?sidan=1

Some pictures from the underground naval base at Muskö. Article is in Swedish but the pictures speak for themselves. Didn't know they had so much art down there.

If I am not mistaken 1-2% of the budget have to go to art when the Swedish state funds the construction of a building. I have been at a Swedish synchotron where there are multiple art pieces looking somewhat out of place.

Also this just in, apparently it was a foreign submarine in Swedish territorial waters. Nationality unknown, but with an obvious suspect.
Out of curiosity, what type of submarines does the Russians have with a length of 15-20 m?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Psion posted:

I'm pretty sure from the way the article is written that you have to be an officer for a given amount of time to get officer pension, and they're just selectively getting rid of people who haven't done that much time, especially the ones closest to retiring.

So instead of backdoor shenanigans, there's just a gaping loophole you could drive a HEMTT through getting mercilessly abused to hurt long service veterans because they're expensive. That isn't actually reassuring at all.

E;FB: dammit

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The Soviets had a crazy number of minisub variants, they had big subs that could launch little subs, subs with tracks and grabber claws for messing with undersea cables etc..

I'm sure the Russians would still have a few that aren't too rusted out to go poot around the Baltic in..

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

xthetenth posted:

So instead of backdoor shenanigans, there's just a gaping loophole you could drive a HEMTT through getting mercilessly abused to hurt long service veterans because they're expensive.

Yeah it really sucks for the people losing their jobs without pensions. But looking at it another way, if the Army sacks the officers in the highest pay grades but who do not yet qualify for pensions, then in the long run they save more money per officer lost, and probably had to lay off less people as a result.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Party Plane Jones posted:

I can't tell whether this guy is lucky or unlucky.

A highly surgical strike on enemy gas caps, so boots on the ground can go in and liberate that highly refined, uncut go juice.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Did that tire really keep it from detonating or was that just a dud?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^Is that a real question?

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Yeah it really sucks for the people losing their jobs without pensions. But looking at it another way, if the Army sacks the officers in the highest pay grades but who do not yet qualify for pensions, then in the long run they save more money per officer lost, and probably had to lay off less people as a result.

Nope. Congress actually authorizes a specific number of personnel. It's not determined by the service budget.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

Deny, deny, obfuscate, publish misleading and contradictory guidance, destroy evidence, and declare "expecting perfection was unrealistic." SOP for AFPC.

I want to blame them, really, I do, but the guidance they got for the last round of cuts literally started as:
1) We need to make cuts, including from several year groups of pilots less than 10 years out of UPT.
2) Every officer meeting an involuntary RIF board must first have the opportunity to participate in a voluntary VSP or early retirement program.
3) Officers with an open service commitment must get a waiver to participate in a voluntary program.
4) AFPC is not authorized to waive the 10 year service commitments from pilot training.
5) We're all mad here, Alice.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

I want to blame them, really, I do, but the guidance they got for the last round of cuts literally started as:
1) We need to make cuts, including from several year groups of pilots less than 10 years out of UPT.
2) Every officer meeting an involuntary RIF board must first have the opportunity to participate in a voluntary VSP or early retirement program.
3) Officers with an open service commitment must get a waiver to participate in a voluntary program.
4) AFPC is not authorized to waive the 10 year service commitments from pilot training.
5) We're all mad here, Alice.

Oh yeah, I get that with some particulars of it, the guidance they got from the Air Staff didn't do them any favors (and a lot of that was driven by Congressional dithering/meddling, same reason they're holding short on any additional info on FY15 programs), I was referring more to poo poo like the TAMP debacle.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Suspect Bucket posted:

A highly surgical strike on enemy gas caps, so boots on the ground can go in and liberate that highly refined, uncut go juice.

Somebody somewhere missed out on a fairly large boom with that one.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
This is getting kind of pathetic at this point: http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-satellite-image-of-a-ukrainian-fighter-shooting-dow-1658910062

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

The sad part is that it's been this pathetic since the invasion of Crimea.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Warbadger posted:

The sad part is that it's been this pathetic since the invasion of Crimea.

People in Russia seem to be eating it up, though, which is worrisome.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Fearless posted:

The levels of cognitive dissonance in Russia are hard to explain to someone who has never lived under the Soviet regime. This isn't anything new, but I guess the number of people actually believing the North-Korean levels of propaganda is actually more substantial than in the Soviet times.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I hadn't heard about that image, but two things jump out at me:

Kinja's stock "real" photo of a Flanker isn't a real photo, and Brown Moses is still the loving man.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Ambrose Bierce posted:

In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the last resort of a scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened but inferior lexicographer I beg to submit it is the first.

E:

Godholio posted:

Kinja's stock "real" photo of a Flanker isn't a real photo

Presumably it's a screenshot of the video game the article discusses in the paragraph directly above it.

Somebody Awful fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 15, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wow, I completely skipped that paragraph somehow.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

OhYeah posted:

The levels of cognitive dissonance in Russia are hard to explain to someone who has never lived under the Soviet regime. This isn't anything new, but I guess the number of people actually believing the North-Korean levels of propaganda is actually more substantial than in the Soviet times.

I imagine there's an advantage in propaganda in societies with somewhat open information - belief in all of it really marks you as a member of the tribe. I'd also imagine that for many people, it simply constitutes "the news", and over many months, reading it and living with people who also believe it make you believe it as well. Not to restart an old fight, but consider how many people - especially in the well-connected elite - in the runup to the Iraq war actually believed all the ridiculous things the American government was saying (working on nuclear weapons, tons of VX gas stockpiled etc) with literally no concrete evidence.

Affinity fraud is a powerful propaganda tool.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
40 years ago this week, the first F-15As were delivered to their training squadron.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Boomerjinks posted:

40 years ago this week, the first F-15As were delivered to their training squadron.

What a beautiful aircraft.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Boomerjinks posted:

I'm so used to the mud hen I forgot how clean the lines can be under all that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, I always have this image of the Eagle being this huge beefy thing from all angles, but it's actually pretty slim from the side.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Boomerjinks posted:

Mind-bendingly, the same forty years before those F-15s were delivered, the USAAF was taking delivery of brand new P-26s.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

USAAC :eng101:

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

More on poor Russian Photoshop skills: https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2014/11/14/russian-state-television-shares-fake-images-of-mh17-being-attacked/

Our own Brown Moses is involved in the teardown.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Even though I've heard that the Russians are going cray over that "evidence" on their boards, it's so nice to be able to see the systematic break down and debunking so quickly.

Moses, you do fantastic work.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
Brown Moses is the man.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Fearless posted:

It doesn't really matter how badly done it is. For the true believers, they'll take it at face value and label anyone who takes the time to debunk it as a partisan operative. Look at everyone who's convinced that global warming isn't real or antivaxxers or that the moon landing is faked or that Obama is Kenyan. It just gets added to the "pile of evidence." For the vast majority of people who only skim the surface of the topic, repeating the lie is enough. That's all it takes to get "Well I heard on the news the satellites have proof it was the Ukrainians" brought up around dinner tables and water coolers.  Telling your side of the story first and making it something people want to believe is almost as good as the truth, because very few people are critical consumers of information.

Syndic Thrass posted:

Brown Moses is the man.
It sometimes feels like he's pissing in the wind, though. When people form an opinion, it's incredibly rare for them to change it based on facts.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 15, 2014

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Reading this now, pretty interesting: https://www.bellingcat.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Origin-of-the-Separatists-Buk-A-Bellingcat-Investigation1.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

OhYeah posted:

It's bad. It's really bad. It's bad enough that a majority of the Russian population doesn't understand the cause/effect relationships between the invasion of Ukraine and the West's reaction: http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/sep/04/have-sanctions-against-russia-really-made-putin-more-popular

About 60% of respondents to the poll indicated they felt that the West is primarily responsible for the situation in Ukraine and that the West's reaction is primarily based on hostility towards Russia. The language there is a little confusing to me, but I feel like that might mean that it goes a step beyond, indicating that they don't see a connection between Ukraine and the sanctions and that these things are just somehow happening coincidentally. Or maybe that it's a grand conspiracy and that the West is meddling in Ukraine so that we can put pressure on Russia I don't know :tinfoil: