Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Well yeah, if I remember before I hit the search box. The problem is that I often forget, and the message will stick around indefinitely.
It disappears after a few seconds for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

nimper posted:

Why are you idiots with Motorola phones even pressing the power button?

Moto Display 4 Lyfe

Because sometimes it doesn't work for whatever reason.

Tunga posted:

Things that don't work for me always seem to work for you! I want your phones! :arghfist:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I just hit the power button on my GS6. Now I have cancer.

Samsung'd again.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tunga posted:

I wonder if it is keyboard dependant then

I've just tried and it sticks around over Fleksy if I don't get rid before searching

To be fair this is something that will probably never happen for me unless I'm doing it deliberately but there you go

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

AlexDeGruven posted:

I just hit the power button on my GS6. Now I have cancer.

Samsung'd again.

lol

hooah posted:

The button on my 2014 X is pretty clicky, I'd say.

I actually haven't been happy with really any phone I've had since the Nexus 5 so I was considering just downgrading to some cheap shitphone, selling off all of my other devices, and just waiting until maybe somebody brings something along in a couple years that actually looks nice. I feel like in 2015 every flagship android phone came with loads of compromises.

I'm spying a mint condition Moto X 2014 on Swappa for pretty darn cheap, actually. How do you like yours? You said the power button works well; how does the battery life last you on Lollipop? What's your average SoT? I read online that the 2014 unlocked (but not carrier) version will get Marshmallow, so that's nice. Read a few reviews (back when the phone was first out and it was on Kitkat) that slammed the battery life, but I'm sure updates must have improved it.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 4, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I haven't been tracking my SoT, so I can't give you an average, but it's certainly better than the Nexus 4 it replaced, at least at the time of replacement. I do find myself needing to top it off once or twice throughout the day, but the building where I have classes and my lab is pretty bad for reception, so I'm sure that doesn't help. Otherwise I like it well enough, except for the US carriers screwing over their customers yet again in regards to OS updates.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

Nexus 6 and Moto G both had pretty mushy power buttons, at least the ones I tried. Is the X Pure/Play better in that department?

Man, gently caress that, then.

All I want is a phone with a good power button. :negative:

G4's power button is actually very good but why does it have to be on the back

edit: By mushy power button I mean that it WORKS, but there's no click and the button just kind of slides instead of feeling tactile and responsive. If I wasn't looking at the phone screen I wouldn't know I'd turned it on at all. Maybe I'm just unlucky and different phones are just machined differently/worse, but I don't think "mushy finger" is a real thing.

Pushing my Nexus 6 power button and getting lots of clicks, fwiw. As clicky as my old Moto X 2014.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pressing the home button is the most satisfying thing on my Note 5, I came a little

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Since you're looking at the 6P, would you be using the fingerprint sensor to unlock? If you use the fingerprint sensor, the power button becomes a bit of a non-issue, since you will instead be touching the fingerprint sensor to both wake the phone and unlock it in one touch.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

hooah posted:

When was the last time you felt a Motorola power button, and on what phone? The button on my 2014 X is pretty clicky, I'd say.

RVProfootballer posted:

Pushing my Nexus 6 power button and getting lots of clicks, fwiw. As clicky as my old Moto X 2014.

Can confirm, power button click is A-OK on the Moto X 2014.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The obvious solution to a mushy power button is covering it with grip tape.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Whizbang posted:

The obvious solution to a mushy power button is covering it with grip tape.

stiffen the button mechanism by fastballing it into a brick wall

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mnemosyne posted:

Since you're looking at the 6P, would you be using the fingerprint sensor to unlock? If you use the fingerprint sensor, the power button becomes a bit of a non-issue, since you will instead be touching the fingerprint sensor to both wake the phone and unlock it in one touch.

I'm always grabbing the phone by the buttons and turning on the camera. Button placement is one of my few complaints about the 6p.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Reverse Centaur posted:

I'm always grabbing the phone by the buttons and turning on the camera. Button placement is one of my few complaints about the 6p.
You can turn the camera quick launch thing off in Display settings.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
What is the easiest way to install wallpapers on a Samsung Note 5? All of my Google searches turn up sites that want me to register and hand over all of my email contacts or install their app and hand over permissions on all sorts of things other than "change the darn background.". I just want to load a wallpaper that doesn't look terrible. I don't even mind plugging it into my laptop and using my picture library there.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just download a picture, open in photos, 3 dots, use as

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Why are you pressing the power button so much when you have a fingerprint reader?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The fingerprint reader bypasses the lock screen, so not ideal for quickly checking notifications

My abomination of a case turns the screen on as soon as you open it, so I never use the power button either. I think ambient display would work too when you pick it up

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tunga posted:

You can turn the camera quick launch thing off in Display settings.

Thanks, just did that. Placement is still a problem, higher up volume buttons and power on the left worked better for me.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Skarsnik posted:

Just download a picture, open in photos, 3 dots, use as

Thank you. Any recommendations on sites with wallpapers at the appropriate resolution? If not, I'd the there a way to load from my PC to Photos on my phone?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

[Is] there a way to load from my PC to Photos on my phone?
You can upload stuff to Google Photos and it'll sync to your phone. Or use Google Drive. Or just copy them over USB. Or lots of ways, really.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 4, 2016

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
I usually hit wallhaven.cc for my wallpaper needs.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I use Muzei with Landscapes HD on my phone, it's awesome.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Ynglaur posted:

Thank you. Any recommendations on sites with wallpapers at the appropriate resolution? If not, I'd the there a way to load from my PC to Photos on my phone?

Interfacelift.com

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
Are there any decent bumper cases for the Nexus 6p? All I want is a bumper that gives a lip above the screen to protect from falls screen-down (this happens all the time with where I place my phone). I don't want a back because I'd like to keep the phone as thin as possible.

I had this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x/accessories/moto-x-bumper-case-quick-overview-t2480175 for my Moto X 2013 and it's basically perfect. I drop my phone every other day from several feet up and the screen has never been damaged.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Amara posted:

Are there any decent bumper cases for the Nexus 6p? All I want is a bumper that gives a lip above the screen to protect from falls screen-down (this happens all the time with where I place my phone). I don't want a back because I'd like to keep the phone as thin as possible.

I'm sure you have a particular use case that justifies it or whatever, but I exhaled quickly from my nose when I read this. I thought..."maybe you shouldn't put your phone there if it's always falling off".

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
The autism....is too strong.....button clicking....

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Amara posted:

Are there any decent bumper cases for the Nexus 6p?
Here's one that is supposed to be shipping soon. Can't offer any details on it but some Reddit people are waiting for it.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I'm sure you have a particular use case that justifies it or whatever, but I exhaled quickly from my nose when I read this. I thought..."maybe you shouldn't put your phone there if it's always falling off".

Yeah, I have 2 relatively small pockets in my uniform, and one of them I sit on and have broken things in before. The other one is the breast pocket and things slip out every time I lean over. I mitigate this by getting phone cases designed to let me drop phones. I've considered a phone holster, but I already have two things clipped to my waistband. You make do with what you got.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Amara posted:

Yeah, I have 2 relatively small pockets in my uniform, and one of them I sit on and have broken things in before. The other one is the breast pocket and things slip out every time I lean over. I mitigate this by getting phone cases designed to let me drop phones. I've considered a phone holster, but I already have two things clipped to my waistband. You make do with what you got.

You need a fanny pack.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

I love how we always have this dynamic in this thread.

Maybe its not just the phone, then.

dissss posted:

The problem with Bluetooth is it's dependent on the devices at both ends of the connection. Like I said I've never had a single issue, but that's only with the specific set of devices I've needed to connect to.

Yea, my Moto X would only have strange issues with BT every once in a blue moon that a reboot or cycling BT on and off would fix. For the record, it works fine when paired with Dodge's BT stuff. Works fine with at least one of Bose's devices.

Turbo 2 works great with Dodge car software, great with Bose device, but I got a pair of cheap rear end BT headphones and it will skip for the first 10 or so seconds but is fine after that.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Skarsnik posted:

The fingerprint reader bypasses the lock screen, so not ideal for quickly checking notifications

I like the fingerprint sensor but I'd love it if I could check notifications easily with it. That's the worst part about it. I don't give two shits to unlock and wake my phone right into play music or chrome or whatever I was doing when I locked it. I wanna see my notification.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
In case you were wondering why in the past there was a fraction of Facebook app users frothing at their mouthes and plenty of other app users being all like :confused:

It was on purpose. "To test loyality."

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/4/10708590/facebook-google-android-app-crash-tests

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

On the subject of chargers, it's looking like we're finally getting some that should work well no matter what your phone supports.

http://www.amazon.com/Qualcomm-Anke...harge+3.0&psc=1

It's a little pricey at $19.99, but it supports Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 while ALSO supporting 3A@5V. So, not only will it charge any Quick Charge licensed phone (including Snapdragon 820 devices at 3.0 rates when they come out) but it will also charge the 5x and 6p at full 3A speed.

I have one of their QC 2.0 car chargers and it has worked great. It can only do 2.4A@5V so it can't quick charge any of the new nexus devices at full speed, but its close.

They also have a normal charger too.
http://www.amazon.com/Qualcomm-Anke...uick+charge+3.0

It can also do 3A@5V on top of QC 3.0

So, these both seem like a no brainer if you want to pick up spare chargers right now. They are a little pricier, but you can be sure that they'll work on both normal USB C devices at full rate and get even more of a boost if the device supports Quick Charge (usb A or C).

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Hmm, would they require out of specification Type A-C cables?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
You should track down a Blackberry Storm, the entire screen is clicky

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

crazysim posted:

Hmm, would they require out of specification Type A-C cables?

The short answer is no.

The long answer is you WANT an in-spec cable.

USB could support 5A with the Power Delivery specification long before USB Type C. That's communicated over the FSK protocol over VBUS. (I THINK microUSB couldn't go past 1.5A which is why you didn't see the PD spec take off with phones.)

USB Type-C supports that AS WELL as using the communication line to negotiate power power levels.

So, with a properly spec'd cable, you can have USB-A on one side and USB-C on the other and the phone should be able to communicate to the charger over VBUS to dictate the charge rate. Assuming that the charger supports the PD spec and the cable is in spec, everything should just work.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Just FYI if anyone cares, I changed to CyanogenMod (running Android 5.1) on my Nexus 7 2012 and Everything seems to run much smoother. However OK Google voice activation does not fare as well, which is one of the things I wanted to try for this spare tablets. Installed nano gapps and was able to download Chrome and Play Music separately.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Daily Forecast posted:

Nexus 6 and Moto G both had pretty mushy power buttons, at least the ones I tried. Is the X Pure/Play better in that department?

I believe the Pure has a higher build quality but the play has VERY loose buttons. Its probably my biggest complaint with the phone. I use a case which covers them so for me it's a non issue personally but if you went naked or used the official flip case it would still be an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I've been having some crazy bad wakelocks on my nexus 6p. I haven't done a factory reset quite yet, hoping that it was just a temporary thing. There are a couple of anomalies going on here... The missing battery when there was no service and the rapid battery drains going on. That last rapid battery drain doesn't make any sense to me since the phone has been sitting flat on my desk at work for 8 hours. Google Play Services is always way at the top of the battery usage chart and no other apps showing significant battery usage.

https://imgur.com/BIjax7t