Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Colonel Whitey posted:

I enjoyed Star Wars Seven overall but that monster scene on Han's ship really did not work for me.

Yeah, it felt a little less interesting than the rest of the movie. It's like Jabba in RotJ or the wampa in TESB; not terrible, just kinda out of place with the rest of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Colonel Whitey posted:

I enjoyed Star Wars Seven overall but that monster scene on Han's ship really did not work for me.

Imagine if the reptar scene were shot and edited like this, or imagine splicing this scene directly into Episode 7. It would be totally alien and incongruous.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

Honestly I didn't like it either, but for purely personal reasons. The sequence still worked really well. I am glad it was over quickly.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Imagine if the reptar scene were shot and edited like this, or imagine splicing this scene directly into Episode 7. It would be totally alien and incongruous.

Haha I like how you link the scene as if we haven't all seen it at least dozens of times. I mean yeah films from the 70s were shot and paced differently, that's not exactly a revelation. I think the problem was there wasn't any cross-cutting to build tension and you may be right about it being over too quickly. But I don't think the problem is the quick cuts or the cinematography. It's the way the scene was written and presumably storyboarded. It wasn't crafted as though it was its own mini-movie like a lot of great action and suspense scenes are.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ive only seen it once.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Colonel Whitey posted:

Haha I like how you link the scene as if we haven't all seen it at least dozens of times. I mean yeah films from the 70s were shot and paced differently, that's not exactly a revelation. I think the problem was there wasn't any cross-cutting to build tension and you may be right about it being over too quickly. But I don't think the problem is the quick cuts or the cinematography. It's the way the scene was written and presumably storyboarded. It wasn't crafted as though it was its own mini-movie like a lot of great action and suspense scenes are.

Of course we've all seen that, but it's insanely rewatchable. It's in my top 5 scenes in Star Wars. There's like a minute of silence where they realize Luke is just gone, and then the walls start closing in. It's a really metaphorically loaded sequence. Something changes when Luke comes back from the void. "It let go of me, and disappeared! [...] The walls are moving!"

This takes on a theological significance when we cut between Luke calling upward for help, and C3PO acting like an imperfect, suffering God:

"Listen to them - they're dying, R2. Curse my metal body; I wasn't fast enough. It's all my fault."

Luke changes significantly after his encounter with the creature. It's the big event, up there with the death of Obiwan (who also, of course, disappears into some void). I could go on about the trash compactor scene for pages. It's not 'just' some obsolete style.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Oh yeah it's a great scene and I like it a lot too (though for reasons very different from yours). I just don't think that the monster scene in VII should necessarily have been done in the same style. I'm sure someone like Spielberg would have come up with a way for that scene to have the urgency and tension it needed without resorting to an episode IV callback.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This takes on a theological significance when we cut between Luke calling upward for help, and C3PO acting like an imperfect, suffering God:

"Listen to them - they're dying, R2. Curse my metal body; I wasn't fast enough. It's all my fault."

If only God's creator weren't a child. :haw:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

so, i don't feel like reading this thread, but, has it been accepted yet that this movie is actually pretty good or do the "cd goons" still hate it?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

NecroMonster posted:

so, i don't feel like reading this thread, but, has it been accepted yet that this movie is actually pretty good or do the "cd goons" still hate it?

Very funny post/avatar combo, made me laugh

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

NecroMonster posted:

It's okay, it's fine.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Colonel Whitey posted:

Oh yeah it's a great scene and I like it a lot too (though for reasons very different from yours). I just don't think that the monster scene in VII should necessarily have been done in the same style. I'm sure someone like Spielberg would have come up with a way for that scene to have the urgency and tension it needed without resorting to an episode IV callback.

The point is that it already is an Episode 4 callback. The scene is a direct reference, down to Rey taking the C3PO role and remotely operating the door while hearing screams in the distance.

NecroMonster posted:

C: None of the above.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NecroMonster posted:

This movie is really amazing. I love it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

I liked but, but it's definitely no PT

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's a good pilot

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wanna marry my Blu-ray Discs.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How are people getting these gifs. Is the home release already happened.

Edit

Sorry I see its filez.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 25, 2016

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

They are CRIMINALS, that's how.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

fils fizzles flsislsld poo poo i'm having a storke

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

NecroMonster posted:

fils fizzles flsislsld poo poo i'm having a storke

I can't even believe I have to say this:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I can't even believe I have to say this:

RIP your funny Zizek av

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the new av is a little bit more

honest?

yeah i think that's the word i want

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I find Zizek to be on point with his analyses.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

the new av is a little bit more

honest?

yeah i think that's the word i want

How many hundreds of dollars have been spent trying to pwn an unpwnable man?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

a man?

psure he's a chat bot friend

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

analyst, more like analcyst.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm aware that I'm both most of the time, but I'd always rather be wrong than be boring.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Starkiller origin story

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

net cafe scandal posted:

How many hundreds of dollars have been spent trying to pwn an unpwnable man?

People would like very much for me to exist.

There is currently a picture of a Frenchman. A person paid five dollars to say "look, he exists! He exists as a Frenchman." I am many things to many people. And, in that sense, I have taken many forms.

Of course, it is fantasy. I do not actually exist.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It costs 10 dollars, actually

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

People would like very much for me to exist.

There is currently a picture of a Frenchman. A person paid five dollars to say "look, he exists! He exists as a Frenchman." I am many things to many people. And, in that sense, I have taken many forms.

Of course, it is fantasy. I do not actually exist.

Have you ever bought an avatar for yourself on this forum or is it a constant cycle of people buying you new ones?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

It costs 10 dollars, actually

$9.95

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

net cafe scandal posted:

Have you ever bought an avatar for yourself on this forum or is it a constant cycle of people buying you new ones?

Here's the history of his avatars if we're meta-posting.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i hope he bought that first one for himself

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

i hope he bought that first one for himself

a guy posting his critical opinion of a movie is not worth getting this worked up over, dude

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

what

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Someone asked for lightsabers

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

I don't know how to link to thread post history on mobile but imagine I did that with ur posts here.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neowyrm posted:

Someone asked for lightsabers

I demand Snoke. The people want to see Snoke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Snoke is a joke! Who cares! Lets see some Lightsabers! *crowd cheering*

• Locked thread