Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

road potato posted:

Someone made a comment a few pages back that at-home rapid tests are less effective. I had my allergies kick up last week, which lead to a bad night of sleep, which lead to sore throat, that has now generally turned into what feels like a low-grade cold. I had a tiny headache yesterday (monday) and was generally a bit more tired on Sunday/Monday. I've been testing every day or every-other day and getting negative results. Would there be any other way to tell if it was/is Covid, other than... just assuming it's COVID?

you have covid for sure

quote:

Unrelated, but two previously healthy thirty-somethings that I'm friends with on facebook posted the "Hey everyone I'm having serious heart problems and the doctors don't really know" posts. We're distant acquaintances in real life, so I have no idea if it's worth it to share any of the literature.

vaxxed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

nexous posted:

Have you considered the repurcussions of asking someone to come to your house and drink your homemade cocktails for a first date.

Well, I am going to have many more dates first then. Make a pick-a-nick myself and share it in the sun, or go hike. Though yeah, something I should have thought of more, not a drinker or a barfly type.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

celadon posted:

it'll either be fine or noone could have known it could happen, either way our jobs are secure

yep. the system works.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

nexous posted:

Have you considered the repurcussions of asking someone to come to your house and drink your homemade cocktails for a first date.

baby its covid outside

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

nexous posted:

You're right its an unsolvable problem.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

silicone thrills posted:

My in laws are about to do a doomsday econ / pestilence cross over thread event:

They are going to hang out in florida for like 2 weeks then get on a cruise ship that goes to and through the panama canal for another 2 weeks.

I keep reading that everything is backed up at the canal so i have no clue how that works for cruise ships but lmao. lol.

there have been at least 1,939 norovirus cases on US cruise ships so far this year

though they're on target to have like 14 million cruise passengers this year so :shrug:

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

StratGoatCom posted:

Well, I am going to have many more dates first then. Make a pick-a-nick myself and share it in the sun, or go hike.

Hike is a good first date :)

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Temiko posted:

Agreed, a curated list of sad trolls and instructions on how to use the ignore button would be very helpful.

This would be great, but shouldn't be in the OP. Making the OP needlessly aggressive towards individuals (even if they are garbage posters) will poison the posting well.

Now if a thread mvp (of which there's are several) wants to make a best/worst list and post it right after the OP well that's something else entirely.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

fosborb posted:

there have been at least 1,939 norovirus cases on US cruise ships so far this year

though they're on target to have like 14 million cruise passengers this year so :shrug:

My mother in law has had 2 open heart surgeries and has a pile of health problems. They went on a cruise last year and she told me it was the sickest they'd ever been and they had to go to the ER a few times over a 3 week period.

But I guess the cruise was worth it because they're doing it again!

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Temiko posted:

Agreed, a curated list of sad trolls and instructions on how to use the ignore button would be very helpful.

100%. Let's see the list

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

road potato posted:

Someone made a comment a few pages back that at-home rapid tests are less effective. I had my allergies kick up last week, which lead to a bad night of sleep, which lead to sore throat, that has now generally turned into what feels like a low-grade cold. I had a tiny headache yesterday (monday) and was generally a bit more tired on Sunday/Monday. I've been testing every day or every-other day and getting negative results. Would there be any other way to tell if it was/is Covid, other than... just assuming it's COVID?

you probably don't if you're doing serial testing like that. a lot of the efficacy drop off is during day 1 and 2 and when you are not symptomatic.

two things you can do:

take a PCR test. your state may still do them free for you. but that will tell you for sure

you can also swab your cheeks or tonsils before your nose (Ontario Health Dept recommends this) to increase test sensitivity

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I'd rather Fosarb set a minimum troll quality thresh tbh, while I get his and nexious's points at least sort out the :effort: or vitrolic fuckheads, at least Cal or Asp when they were in that mood were capable of being intentionally funny. Goon lists often do not end well.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.
grain of salt, etc.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2808358

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

My mother in law has had 2 open heart surgeries and has a pile of health problems. They went on a cruise last year and she told me it was the sickest they'd ever been and they had to go to the ER a few times over a 3 week period.

But I guess the cruise was worth it because they're doing it again!

Money shifting the death drive into third gear for a highway pull

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

if you like going on cruises you've already normalized the idea of locking yourself in close quarters with potentially plague-ridden passengers. there's huge outbreaks of random-rear end poo poo every couple of years.

i was loving stunned when my sister went on a cruise for her honeymoon, not specifically because of COVID but for the heightened possibility of getting seriously ill at all while stuck on a giant boat undergoing a localized outbreak of loving, cholera or some poo poo

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I ruled out cruises when the elevator on one of them smooshed a passenger and it looked like the blood elevator from The Shining. Thats scarier to me than covid/norovirus/ecoli/whatever

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

StratGoatCom posted:

I'd rather Fosarb set a minimum troll quality thresh tbh, while I get his and nexious's points at least sort out the :effort: or vitrolic fuckheads, at least Cal or Asp when they were in that mood were capable of being intentionally funny. Goon lists often do not end well.

yeah

also the constant posts about ignore lists are more tedious than the troll posts at this point. i see a short, flippant remark about COVID and roll my eyes but it sucks even more having that followed up by a dozen posters tripping over themselves to say "heh, another notch for my ignore list :smug:"

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

all i want is for all cruise ships to be commandeered, retrofitted with nuclear engines, and transformed into gigantic floating hospitals traveling from port to port helping people out

is that so much to ask

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
Buddy of mine out of town invited me to come hang out with him for the weekend but he tested positive last Tuesday and has been completely asymptomatic the entire time (he tested because his housemate tested positive earlier in that week). I dunno if rapid antigen tests will continue to show up as positive after somebody stops being contagious or if a faint line means somebody is still contagious. I know the CDC or whatever says that covid stops existing after 10 days no matter what but I would also like to know what the other side has to say.

Anyway, he tested negative on one test this morning and then a faint line on another test a little while later and we're planning on rescheduling my visit unless he tests negative with both brands of tests tomorrow or on Thursday morning and I hope he does because I really wanna put my tongue in his mouth.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

U-DO Burger posted:

yeah

also the constant posts about ignore lists are more tedious than the troll posts at this point. i see a short, flippant remark about COVID and roll my eyes but it sucks even more having that followed up by a dozen posters tripping over themselves to say "heh, another notch for my ignore list :smug:"

I’m not even flippant about covid is the craziest part lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

celadon posted:

all i want is for all cruise ships to be commandeered, retrofitted with nuclear engines, and transformed into gigantic floating hospitals traveling from port to port helping people out

is that so much to ask

i always thought floating prison colony for all the deposed CEOs and billionaires. It'd be a bit of a poetic irony, I think

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

nexous posted:

I ruled out cruises when the elevator on one of them smooshed a passenger and it looked like the blood elevator from The Shining. Thats scarier to me than covid/norovirus/ecoli/whatever

I would honestly wear a PAPR with scent control to things like gencon or the like even before covid, between the Crud and... well...

https://twitter.com/anxious__latina/status/1554563483903021056

which would be even worse now, come to think of it as folks would be less able to tell they have The Fench. It would be easy to dress one up as something from the Expanse too.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

If I had to be in a room with sweaty people I would simply choose an event with people I wanted to sweat with.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

yep. i'm just here for the orgy.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Some of us have to do the kind of work where that is a need rather then a want to. That poo poo was backburnered for a while, but I have some personal projects where a con might be a business need.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I'm cooking up an incredible List and it's going to be so epic when I post it

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Immediately breaking my vow of lurking just to share a small anecdote that might tickle people: Went out grocery shopping, and was literally the only person in a mask. At least everybody was cool about it this time, except for one guy who upon spotting my mask in the parking lot instantly homed in at me, loudly enunciating 'ACHOO. ACHOO. ACHOO. ACHOO' in a repeated monotone until he passed me.

like, lol, dumbass, what do you think the mask is even for

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Also just to be clear, I appreciate the nice thoughts and kind words, but not-posting also works out fairly well for me personally because while I have thoughts about being seen and identified in a particular way, those are usually overshadowed by my desire not to be seen or identified at all lol

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I mean we all knew that it wasn't all Malpractices Georg MD, but still pretty rough stuff. And yea the mixed methods element means there's definitely a limit on the precision and strength of the findings.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Doctors being dumb as hell is a finding that will replicate for as many bogus investment vehicles as you want

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

celadon posted:

is that so much to ask

They brought out one of the Navy hospital ships at the beginning of COVID and then the crew immediately all got COVID and it only managed to treat like 20 people

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dog Case posted:

They brought out one of the Navy hospital ships at the beginning of COVID and then the crew immediately all got COVID and it only managed to treat like 20 people

Also a guy hijacked a train and tried to ram it into the ship but missed it by several hundred yards

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also a guy hijacked a train and tried to ram it into the ship but missed it by several hundred yards

what???

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
why do I not have have thread god rights yet? Excel has promised me better color palettes if I become COVID thread god.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

lol this was one of the most incredible events of an incredible time

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

I love that everything is so insane that this is a forgettable event. I also didn't remember

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Pillowpants posted:

why do I not have have thread god rights yet? Excel has promised me better color palettes if I become COVID thread god.

can’t trust a guy who go Covid 3 times. the Covid is controlling you now

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

lol that this incident has already been forgotten. it was incredible

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Pillowpants posted:

you're my thread god :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Dog Case posted:

I love that everything is so insane that this is a forgettable event. I also didn't remember

i only remember sailor so thank you for this delightful and insanely funny reminder