Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MAXIMUM SWEAT
Apr 21, 2003

by Lowtax
I got to see Lake Mungo last night and it's probably the only film that has genuinely frightened me in the past decade or so. I couldn't look away. I don't find slashers scary at all but I love them just the same, and movies like REC or Human Centipede are interesting but not frightening. I highly recommend it, and it looks like the whole thing is up on youtube (dunno if its up there legitametely or not though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

El Asso posted:

I got to see Lake Mungo last night and it's probably the only film that has genuinely frightened me in the past decade or so. I couldn't look away. I don't find slashers scary at all but I love them just the same, and movies like REC or Human Centipede are interesting but not frightening. I highly recommend it, and it looks like the whole thing is up on youtube (dunno if its up there legitametely or not though).

I was disappointed in Lake Mungo. It was good, and I enjoyed it, but I wasn't scared at all.

MAXIMUM SWEAT
Apr 21, 2003

by Lowtax

XIII posted:

I was disappointed in Lake Mungo. It was good, and I enjoyed it, but I wasn't scared at all.

Yeah I figured this would come up, but what scares me is the unknown. Some dude with an axe or zombies/plague isnt frightening to me in the least, but I enjoy those movies. The slow zoom on pictures and videos creeped the crap out of me, and the documentary style filming was a great compliment. I thought it was an amazing ghost story, if you like those "scary picture/video" threads that pop up every once in a while in GBS I think you'd like Lake Mungo as well.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Oh, I definitely liked the movie. It did have a very tense feel to it, but I felt it wasted time on things that didn't really add much to the story. I liked the documentary style a lot too. Gave it a very real feeling.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

toxick posted:

It wasn't as over-the-top disgusting as I was hoping, but it had some decent atmosphere in spots and Dieter Laser's performance made it worth watching for sure.

"Feed her! FEEEEED HEEERRRR!!"

See, I haven't seen The Human Centipede, but I have a hard time getting interested in a movie thats primary concept of horror seems to be "Wouldn't it be gross if someone poo poo in your mouth?"

I could watch Salo for that. Or hell, two girls one cup even.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I watched Harpoon: Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre, didn't care for it. It's Texas Chainsaw Massacre on a boat but it's way to goofy, the writers think they are really cleaver but they aren't. Some good gore but totally lacks in suspence and scares. It's not terrible, just very average but had potential to be so much better.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Slasherfan posted:

I watched Harpoon: Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre, didn't care for it. It's Texas Chainsaw Massacre on a boat but it's way to goofy, the writers think they are really cleaver but they aren't. Some good gore but totally lacks in suspence and scares. It's not terrible, just very average but had potential to be so much better.

Is the killer a whale?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Slasherfan posted:

A friend of mine who is good friends with Gunnar Hanson said that he hated making this movie.

Movie looked just like you described it from the trailer.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Slasherfan posted:

Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre

I really wanted to see this when I first heard about it since it's the first* Icelandic splatter movie but then the trailer came out and I lost all interest.
I might check out the DVD but it just didn't look worth the money it costs to see it in a cinema.

*not counting amateur shot on shiteo stuff.

the_psychologist
Jul 28, 2004
~~Bush is a Dick.....Cheney~~

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

See, I haven't seen The Human Centipede, but I have a hard time getting interested in a movie thats primary concept of horror seems to be "Wouldn't it be gross if someone poo poo in your mouth?"

I could watch Salo for that. Or hell, two girls one cup even.

So you would watch Salo, but not Centipede? Or have you not seen Salo either?

If you like harder horror, just watch Centipede. It's a lot more than scat munching.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

the_psychologist posted:

If you like harder horror, just watch Centipede. It's a lot more than scat munching.

And nowhere near as boring as Salo is.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

the_psychologist posted:

Hell, there's only implied scat munching in The Human Centipede. It's really more of a very dark humor movie than a horror movie, despite what I consider to be some great moments of bleak atmosphere.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

That's why I originally avoided it but comments suggesting the contrary convinced me to give it a try and while I didn't find it particularly engaging, it does try very hard not to be a scat movie.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

wormil posted:

That's why I originally avoided it but comments suggesting the contrary convinced me to give it a try and while I didn't find it particularly engaging, it does try very hard not to be a scat movie.
If memory serves me, there's only two scenes of that nature and neither are graphic. It's more implied than explicitly shown.

Basically, I can't put my finger on the precise reason I liked the movie. It's not a four-star flick by any means, but there's something about the ridiculousness of it all and the interplay between the "head" and the German doctor. Plus, well, the inventiveness of the premise and a neat set piece toward the end.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Wilhelm Scream posted:

And nowhere near as boring as Salo is.

THANK YOU. Why does this movie merit addition to "The Criterion Collection"? It is (literally) poo poo.

Anyone else plumbing the hilariously bad depths of Netflix instant lately?

I watched Skinned Alive (aka "Eat Your Heart Out") last night. My god, what a laughably bad movie. Lots of tits though so 13 year-old me was stoked.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I never had any interest in Salo, heard it was just a bunch a vile poo poo thrown together andit never peeked my interest.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Slasherfan posted:

I never had any interest in Salo, heard it was just a bunch a vile poo poo thrown together andit never peeked my interest.
It's not entirely vile poo poo. I mean, I guess it works as the blackest form of satire, but it's still pretty repulsive. On the other hand, with a name like Slasherfan, you've probably seen more repulsive films. I Spit on Your Grave, for instance.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

bad movie knight posted:

It's not entirely vile poo poo. I mean, I guess it works as the blackest form of satire, but it's still pretty repulsive. On the other hand, with a name like Slasherfan, you've probably seen more repulsive films. I Spit on Your Grave, for instance.

Some of these movies attempt to have a plot (Not a big Fan Of I Spit On Your Grave to be honest). Salo just seems like a bunch of random poo poo thrown together for the sake of it, like Murder Set Pieces.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Slasherfan posted:

Some of these movies attempt to have a plot (Not a big Fan Of I Spit On Your Grave to be honest). Salo just seems like a bunch of random poo poo thrown together for the sake of it, like Murder Set Pieces.
I can verify it has a plot -- at least, as much of a plot as The Human Centipede.

I understand why it's an entry in the Criterion collection; it's well-made, has a point and was frequently censored, so it's important to have an uncensored work of a fine director. It's worth seeing; I've seen it twice, the first time to see what the gently caress the big fuss was and the second time to verify that I'd actually seen it.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

bad movie knight posted:

I can verify it has a plot -- at least, as much of a plot as The Human Centipede.

I understand why it's an entry in the Criterion collection; it's well-made, has a point and was frequently censored, so it's important to have an uncensored work of a fine director. It's worth seeing; I've seen it twice, the first time to see what the gently caress the big fuss was and the second time to verify that I'd actually seen it.

I guess I missed the point, but given the kinds of cinema and other entertainment I am prone to enjoying, that is not a surprise. I am a Miller Lite and Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer kind of guy although I will watch anything that other people find shocking or offensive, hence being drawn to Salo. But at the end of the day after a movie is over I'd rather take a piss and say "that was awesome" than go discuss it with my friends over a glass of chablis. At the end of Salo I just sort of thought "hmm, that was loving weird and mostly boring". NEXT!

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Defleshed posted:

I guess I missed the point, but given the kinds of cinema and other entertainment I am prone to enjoying, that is not a surprise. I am a Miller Lite and Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer kind of guy although I will watch anything that other people find shocking or offensive, hence being drawn to Salo. But at the end of the day after a movie is over I'd rather take a piss and say "that was awesome" than go discuss it with my friends over a glass of chablis. At the end of Salo I just sort of thought "hmm, that was loving weird and mostly boring". NEXT!
I didn't say it was very good.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Didn't the director get murdered shortly after the movie came out.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
My mate shows me some movies like this and they just don't interest me at all. He showed me one movie, I can't remember what it was called, I think it was Man Behind The Sun but not to sure. It was just one vile thing after the next with hardly any plot or character development. He loves showing me these Ilsa movies also, wish I could erase those from my brain.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Slasherfan posted:

My mate shows me some movies like this and they just don't interest me at all. He showed me one movie, I can't remember what it was called, I think it was Man Behind The Sun but not to sure. It was just one vile thing after the next with hardly any plot or character development. He loves showing me these Ilsa movies also, wish I could erase those from my brain.

Hey buddy, back off Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS :colbert:

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Slasherfan posted:

You're really not living up to your goon name here.

Salo really isn't that bad. It's not like Cannibal Holocaust, August Underground, Guinea Pig or anything like that.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Slasherfan posted:

He loves showing me these Ilsa movies also, wish I could erase those from my brain.

Ilsa movies rule, kid. Respect Dyanne Thorne! Ilsa, Harem Keeper of the Oil Sheiks is one of my favs from the series.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
File this under "one of the worst ideas ever":
http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/05/17/george-romero-remaking-dario-argentos-deep-red-in-3d/

Deep Red doesn't need to be in 3D, and Romero hasn't exactly been knocking them out of the park lately anyway. In the meantime, Argento is apparently working on Dracula 3D, and in other news I'm planning on barricading myself inside my house with plans to never go out again because the world has obviously gone crazy.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

InfiniteZero posted:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/05/17/george-romero-remaking-dario-argentos-deep-red-in-3d/

Deep Red doesn't need to be in 3D, and Romero hasn't exactly been knocking them out of the park lately anyway. In the meantime, Argento is apparently working on Dracula 3D, and in other news InfiniteZero is barricading himself inside his house with plans to never go out again because the world has obviously gone crazy.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I like Romero and I would get gay married to Dario, but please no.

I also like Rum and Beer, but I never mix them together.

I'm not anti-remake (I like the new F13 for example), but Profundo Russo must remain unsullied!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

Deep Red doesn't need to be in 3D, and Romero hasn't exactly been knocking them out of the park lately anyway. In the meantime, Argento is apparently working on Dracula 3D, and in other news I'm planning on barricading myself inside my house with plans to never go out again because the world has obviously gone crazy.

poo poo, that's depressing. Argento and Romero have made quite a few of the best horror movies ever, but it's getting harder and harder to be an apologizer for their later work.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
AICN posted a fairly glowing review of the upcoming Mother's Day remake.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45156

I've never seen the original. Is it any good? This makes me somewhat interested in checking out the remake though, even though I gave up on the Saw movies after watching Saw II.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

qbert posted:

AICN posted a fairly glowing review of the upcoming Mother's Day remake.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45156

I've never seen the original. Is it any good? This makes me somewhat interested in checking out the remake though, even though I gave up on the Saw movies after watching Saw II.

Its on HULU!

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

InfiniteZero posted:

Argento is apparently working on Dracula 3D
Dracula 3D? If there's one story that will never benefit from poo poo flying out the screen at you, it's Dracula. We already had a big austentatious Dracula from a respected director; critics hated it and it didn't sell particarly well. I can't but feel that this whole thing is born from the Twilight fad and this constant obsession with aiming vampires at frustrated teens.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

ProfessorClumsy posted:

I can't but feel that this whole thing is born from the Twilight fad and this constant obsession with aiming vampires at frustrated teens.

Sure, but I think that frustrated teens aren't going to be very interested in a vampire film made by a 70 year old Italian man who has arthouse leanings and a propensity for dream logic in his films that often feature women in peril and people being cut up.

I'm a big Argento fan myself (see: Giallo thread obviously) but I'm not very excited about Dracula 3D. However, I'm about a million times more excited about Dracula 3D than I am about George A Romero's Deep Red 3D.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 19, 2010

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Looks like Wes Cravens next movie, My Soul To Keep is being converted to 3-D. I'm not agains't 3-D really but making it 3-D in post is just lazy and it looks terrible to boot.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
There's a midnight showing of the Human Centipede in my town tomorrow night. I already watched it online but I sort of want to go just to gauge the audience's reaction...I hated it so hard when I first saw it but I somehow feel compelled to witness it again, on a huge screen...I hate myself.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

forever whatever posted:

There's a midnight showing of the Human Centipede in my town tomorrow night. I already watched it online but I sort of want to go just to gauge the audience's reaction...I hated it so hard when I first saw it but I somehow feel compelled to witness it again, on a huge screen...I hate myself.

Even lovely horror films are better with a big audience though. The shared experience amplifies everything. Don't hate yourself ... yet.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Just watched Nine Dead last night, it was alright, though the ending was pretty lame :\ But it did highlight a couple things that I HATE in movies, that people keep doing.

1) Contingency plan to my contingency plan villains. When the villain has things though out so much that no matter what comes out of left field, he has a plan to counter it because he put that much thought into it. There's a point of being prepared for something that could happen, but lately with these villains it seems that they have so many backup plans that it puts Batman to shame.

2) Victims who just stand there and take it. If you are about to be killed you usually you try to fight back. In this movie, the killer had them handcuff to a pipe and would come in and execute one of them every 10 mins until they figure out why there are there. He walks in and shoots them at point blank range. Now, I understand that the victim isn't going to do some backflip, kick the gun out of their hand and take control of the situation, but if someone was aiming a gun at point blank, gun on skin type of contact, its not that hard to use a free hand and try to move it away. Sure, the gesture will probably be futile but its something drat it.

With both of these, I can see that if the victim got the upperhand, then you don't really have much of a movie then. But just stop insulting me with these lousy situations that the victim just stands there like a sheep and takes it.

As for the movie itself, as I said, it was alright. Had a brunette Melissa Joan Hart* who looked pretty cute and was fairly decent in acting. Seems like another attempt at trying to make a psychological movie, in the same vein as Saw. 9 people, all connected by some, almost Rube Goldberg-esque like connection and have to figure out how and why. For those who saw it

Everyone had a active role in getting the kid busted for the crime, and contributing to him catching AIDs, except the insurance guy. How the hell was he to know that that he was falsely convicted?

* Looking up to make sure it was her, apparently she did a nude photo when she was pregnant. Its pretty tasteful and she looks pretty drat good. But thats probably just nostalgia from watching her on Clarissa as a kid

:nws: https://wi.somethingawful.com/fd/fd1d98a094ba2a7e8e44a9e921056559aafad26f.jpg :nws:

:swoon:

edit: That came out much longer then I wanted.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Defleshed posted:

Anyone else plumbing the hilariously bad depths of Netflix instant lately?

I watched Skinned Alive (aka "Eat Your Heart Out") last night. My god, what a laughably bad movie. Lots of tits though so 13 year-old me was stoked.

Yes. Recently watched Asylum and Tooth Fairy. Both are your standard level of B movie suck.

Tooth Fairy has some entertaining kills and standard inept police.

Asylum is repetitive and you forget which scene you are watching when the villain is on screen. It actually had a good concept but just falls on it's face.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I caught the tail end of Asylum at my buddy's place (we both watch a lot of horror movies, good and bad) and the only thing that stuck out to me was, "oh hey, it's the hot chick from Disturbia"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

JammyLammy posted:

Just watched Nine Dead last night, it was alright, though the ending was pretty lame :\ But it did highlight a couple things that I HATE in movies, that people keep doing.

1) Contingency plan to my contingency plan villains. When the villain has things though out so much that no matter what comes out of left field, he has a plan to counter it because he put that much thought into it. There's a point of being prepared for something that could happen, but lately with these villains it seems that they have so many backup plans that it puts Batman to shame.

2) Victims who just stand there and take it. If you are about to be killed you usually you try to fight back. In this movie, the killer had them handcuff to a pipe and would come in and execute one of them every 10 mins until they figure out why there are there. He walks in and shoots them at point blank range. Now, I understand that the victim isn't going to do some backflip, kick the gun out of their hand and take control of the situation, but if someone was aiming a gun at point blank, gun on skin type of contact, its not that hard to use a free hand and try to move it away. Sure, the gesture will probably be futile but its something drat it.

With both of these, I can see that if the victim got the upperhand, then you don't really have much of a movie then. But just stop insulting me with these lousy situations that the victim just stands there like a sheep and takes it.

As for the movie itself, as I said, it was alright. Had a brunette Melissa Joan Hart* who looked pretty cute and was fairly decent in acting. Seems like another attempt at trying to make a psychological movie, in the same vein as Saw. 9 people, all connected by some, almost Rube Goldberg-esque like connection and have to figure out how and why. For those who saw it

Everyone had a active role in getting the kid busted for the crime, and contributing to him catching AIDs, except the insurance guy. How the hell was he to know that that he was falsely convicted?

* Looking up to make sure it was her, apparently she did a nude photo when she was pregnant. Its pretty tasteful and she looks pretty drat good. But thats probably just nostalgia from watching her on Clarissa as a kid

:nws: https://wi.somethingawful.com/fd/fd1d98a094ba2a7e8e44a9e921056559aafad26f.jpg :nws:

:swoon:

edit: That came out much longer then I wanted.

I randomly watched this movie when Netflix recommended it to me, and I thought it was pretty horrible. It literally had the worst ending I've ever seen in a movie. It almost seemed like the just ran out of film and said gently caress it.