Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Cool that's great, because these things are ultra common in my line of work.

It's a really frustrating position to be in. Usually these publications (and 99% of people who submit stuff to them) don't know the first thing about printing and graphics, and are just all IT MUST BE CMYK, WHAT THE HELL IS A PRINTER PROFIEL!1!? :byodood:

So basically we have to submit the image in CMYK, and they may choose to use it and then send it to the printer. I'm seriously considering just sending it in RBG and writing that we'll work with them on the CMYK conversion if they want to use it for the frontpage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Hello all I have a question about haikus.

Every year I buy my friend an unhappy birthday ice cream cake from DQ. He loves them(as the ice cream helps him work through the horrible words you see). and always talks about them.

Tomorrow is another friends birthday and he requested an unhappy birthday cake, which I agreed to since I guess I hang around with a bunch of masochists.

I wanted to try something different this time and see if I can get a haiku on the cake.

Now I'm extremely bad at poetry and it was one of the least interesting things at school for me. As such I am bad at them so I was hoping for a bit of assistance/critiquiing.

So his main problems that I can work with are:

He works too much at a dead end job
He is single and desperate
He loves his anime and his cats

With those in mind I came up with this:

Long nights and drawn women
Loneliness is crushing
Hungry cats wait eagerly

Does that work for a haiku?

tl/dr: Im a horrible jerk and my friend wants me to make him a depressing birthday cake. Im doing it in haiku form but am terrible.

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

Yours is pretty good. I made one too.

Here's an ice cream cake
As cold as your sad black heart
and your empty bed

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010
Lonely office, life
no hugs, no touch, only you
cold cake, like waifu

Ecojiro Desu
Feb 19, 2005
Is it possible to create a fine dot-texture that doesn't produce "banding" across various displays?

A company I'm working with uses a small dot texture as an element throughout their brand, overlaid in photography, and as a canvas for illustrations. The texture is created with a 2x2 pixel pattern fill in Photoshop, and then blended with various elements.

I'm trying to make this texture feasible within a PowerPoint template as a background texture, and I'm running into some deceptively challenging problems. I can't seem to create a fine-dot texture that doesn't produce some artificial pattern when viewed in "Show Mode" (PowerPoint's full-screen display mode, 115% magnification). Worse, the effect seems exacerbated when projected, or on large TVs like the 46in 1080p television we use occasionally for critiques.

I've tested various pattern configurations with more or less space between dots, down-scaling resolutions, more or less contrast between pixels, etc, but I haven't had success creating a pattern that works seamlessly across high-resolution displays, average monitors, televisions, and when projected. It always produces a pattern, what could be described as a denim-like pattern. I'm a little worried that it's a hardware issue and thus impossible so solve for, because I can't control what projectors or screens are used. As a foundational piece of the working design, it's a bit worrisome.

Kengi
Sep 22, 2006
Gamer, geek, and ladies man
I have a question about operations for the actual shop, and I'm not sure where else to go to ask this, so I'm crossposting here and in the Etsy Lovefest thread. If you know of a better thread, please let me know.

My girlfriend and I are both working on opening shops: Mine will be plastic canvas geeky stuff, like Cthulhu care bears and 8 bit creations, where hers will be sewn items.

1) Assuming we get a basic printer, would a Stamps.com account be suggested by anyone here? Any horror stories with them?

2) Knowing that at least I'll likely be doing some kind of bubble mailer, where's the best place to get them?

Any other tips or tricks are welcome! Thank you.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Ecojiro Desu posted:

It doesn't sound like hardware issue, it's a moiré pattern and it's natural. Blurring it slightly is a standard way of controlling it; try resampling a large version of the pattern down/applying gaussian blur, then use sharpen filters to tighten it back up if needed. It'll be a matter of trial and error, and even after that, given the pattern, it'll likely still produce moiré effects unless you blur heavily. If it's an option, if you can continue to magnify the pattern the moiré will disappear as the elements in the pattern become discrete.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I've been drawing with Photoshop and a tablet (Wacom Bamboo) for 3-4 years now, and linework has never stopped being an enormous pain in the rear end for me.

If I try to slowly and deliberately draw a contiguous line, it ends up jittery and unusable. To solve this, I have to do a lot of quick "swooshes", which I invariably have to attempt several times. This works okay for objects built out of lots of lines, but when I try to do, say, a circle, it takes several minutes.

Here's a lil' video so you can see what I'm talking about.

Some suggestions I've gotten over the years that didn't really help:
  • Mess with your tablet settings - the only marginally relevant setting I can find for this is "Tip Feel", a slider that only seems to increase/decrease pressure sensitivity. (Also it's not stuck on "Mouse Mode")
  • Zoom in more - pretty sure I am zoomed in as far as I need to be (which is hopefully evidenced by the video) - I've seen videos of people getting great linework without focusing on minute chunks of the canvas.
  • Draw at a larger resolution - for years I assumed this was the problem, but now that I have a computer that's able to handle drawing at inhumanly large resolutions I can confirm that it doesn't help.
  • Mess with your brushes in Photoshop - nothing with "jitter" in the title is turned on. I don't know what else would be causing a problem here.
I'd really appreciate any advice for how to deal with this - I'm drawing a regular comic strip right now, and the stress of wasting hours and hours on a product that feels compromised and inferior is kind of driving me crazy.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

WrathOfBlade posted:

I've been drawing with Photoshop and a tablet (Wacom Bamboo) for 3-4 years now, and linework has never stopped being an enormous pain in the rear end for me.

If I try to slowly and deliberately draw a contiguous line, it ends up jittery and unusable. To solve this, I have to do a lot of quick "swooshes", which I invariably have to attempt several times. This works okay for objects built out of lots of lines, but when I try to do, say, a circle, it takes several minutes.

Here's a lil' video so you can see what I'm talking about.

Some suggestions I've gotten over the years that didn't really help:
  • Mess with your tablet settings - the only marginally relevant setting I can find for this is "Tip Feel", a slider that only seems to increase/decrease pressure sensitivity. (Also it's not stuck on "Mouse Mode")
  • Zoom in more - pretty sure I am zoomed in as far as I need to be (which is hopefully evidenced by the video) - I've seen videos of people getting great linework without focusing on minute chunks of the canvas.
  • Draw at a larger resolution - for years I assumed this was the problem, but now that I have a computer that's able to handle drawing at inhumanly large resolutions I can confirm that it doesn't help.
  • Mess with your brushes in Photoshop - nothing with "jitter" in the title is turned on. I don't know what else would be causing a problem here.
I'd really appreciate any advice for how to deal with this - I'm drawing a regular comic strip right now, and the stress of wasting hours and hours on a product that feels compromised and inferior is kind of driving me crazy.

Everyone has this problem. Unfortunately, it's just really hard to control compared to drawing with a pen/pencil/marker/brush on paper, because paper has enough texture to make it very easy to "brake" and take a curve exactly where you want it to. The tablet surface doesn't have that.

The only options are various forms of "cheating" such as using a vector-based program like Illustrator or Manga Studio, by which you can lay down a line and then correct it and smooth it out after the fact; or programs like Paint Tool SAI or Manga Studio again which allow you to slow down and average out your pen movements to get smoother lines. I also employ something occasionally in Photoshop (although I don't do this very frequently anymore):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVL8m99xHqE

I see you're using Windows. In that case, make use of LazyNezumi. It turns your cursor into a little "tow rope" and puts drag on your pen tip. It's hard to describe, but it makes smooth inking much easier.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

neonnoodle posted:

Everyone has this problem. Unfortunately, it's just really hard to control compared to drawing with a pen/pencil/marker/brush on paper, because paper has enough texture to make it very easy to "brake" and take a curve exactly where you want it to. The tablet surface doesn't have that.

The only options are various forms of "cheating" such as using a vector-based program like Illustrator or Manga Studio, by which you can lay down a line and then correct it and smooth it out after the fact; or programs like Paint Tool SAI or Manga Studio again which allow you to slow down and average out your pen movements to get smoother lines. I also employ something occasionally in Photoshop (although I don't do this very frequently anymore):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVL8m99xHqE

I see you're using Windows. In that case, make use of LazyNezumi. It turns your cursor into a little "tow rope" and puts drag on your pen tip. It's hard to describe, but it makes smooth inking much easier.

Thanks so much! The pen tool trick (and the rest of zoepiel's tutorial videos, actually) are immensely helpful. Definitely a learning curve to it, but I think it will save me time in the long run, and in any case the linework looks a hundred times better.
Not sure I understand what LazyNezumi is supposed to do, but I'll hang on to that as well.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm hoping someone can help me with a glue question. I recently took a stab at making dog collars with polypro belting as the base. I do not have a sewing machine and even if I did I don't know how to use one. I used some E-6000 glue, and it seems to be holding up alright, but then I read it's not recommended for polypro. I tried looking and asking at the craft store but none of the glues made it clear whether or not they were safe for polypro. Any suggestions? :ohdear:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ok, I just recently brought myself a second hand old Cintiq 15x. $300. Win.

It owns too, although it didn't come with the stand (second hand stuff) so I'm going to fabricate myself one if I cant find one cheap on ebay. Might even just mount it in an easel.

The problem is the pen seems a bit stuffed and doesn't have any pressure sensitivity, its all on or all off. These things have 512 levels so thats not right, and even setting the sensitivity in the control panel isn't fixing it. The pens crap.

So, considering its a somewhat older cintiq, what would be the pen to use for this. I'm not having a lot of luck finding it on google. :(

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

I'm not sure if this is the thread I'm looking for, but it is a stupid question I couldn't find another thread for.

I'm big into printmaking lately and I was curious if anyone knew of how I could go about scanning(?) and then having my originals reproduced on nice shiny poster paper? A few of my friends are interested in having copies but there were only ten originals and I'm not excited about giving originals away for free. I was hoping someone else has gone through this process and might have some suggestions. If not, or this is the wrong thread I'm sorry! I'm just kind of at a loss right now. Thanks!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I want to custom paint a pair of canvas sneakers (chucks if it makes a different), what's the best method of doing this?

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009

duck monster posted:

It owns too, although it didn't come with the stand (second hand stuff) so I'm going to fabricate myself one if I cant find one cheap on ebay. Might even just mount it in an easel.

The problem is the pen seems a bit stuffed and doesn't have any pressure sensitivity, its all on or all off. These things have 512 levels so thats not right, and even setting the sensitivity in the control panel isn't fixing it. The pens crap.

So, considering its a somewhat older cintiq, what would be the pen to use for this. I'm not having a lot of luck finding it on google. :(

Are you sure it's the pen? Which program are you using? In Photoshop, to turn on pressure sensitive tapering or opacity, go to Window>Brushes>checkmark Shape Dynamics and Other Dynamics (I'm using CS2) Click on these two to make sure Size Jitter and Opacity Jitter are set to Pen Pressure.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

duck monster posted:

Which OS are you running? Which driver version? Which version of Photoshop? 32 or 64 bit? Unfortunately all those things can sort of conspire against you to mess things up. I regularly have to reinstall or roll back my driver. Often some programs will work with one driver but not the newer one.

All pens with the product code beginning with UP will work with the 15x.
http://www.wacom-components.com/english/product/pen.html

Also the Axiotron Studio Pen will work and is great because it has dual side switches. You can get one on eBay for about $30 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Axiotro...ht_1443wt_1103.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Can anyone recommend movies exploring estranged relationships between fathers and sons? Good or bad movies, it doesn't matter.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

peepoogenderparts posted:

Can anyone recommend movies exploring estranged relationships between fathers and sons? Good or bad movies, it doesn't matter.
Life As A House!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Help help help. :ohdear:

I am down to one page in my sketchbook. I love this sketchbook. But it doesn't seem to be made anymore. I've persued all options, and can't find it anywhere.

So. I'm trying to find a replacement and I'm taking suggestions.

Must:

Have white acid free paper
Have a bit of grit to the paper (I dislike moleskin smoothness)
Be 8.5"x11" to 9"x12"
Be hardbound

duck monster posted:

Go to wacom's website and redownload/update every single possible driver. Sometimes you just need to restart too but I'm sure you've tried that already.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Kerfuffle posted:

Help help help. :ohdear:

I am down to one page in my sketchbook. I love this sketchbook. But it doesn't seem to be made anymore. I've persued all options, and can't find it anywhere.

So. I'm trying to find a replacement and I'm taking suggestions.

Must:

Have white acid free paper
Have a bit of grit to the paper (I dislike moleskin smoothness)
Be 8.5"x11" to 9"x12"
Be hardbound

Go to wacom's website and redownload/update every single possible driver. Sometimes you just need to restart too but I'm sure you've tried that already.

I got pissed at my local art store's poo poo sketchbook selection so I went to Etsy and found a guy who sells handmade ones to the exact specs I was looking for, hand-bound in leather, for less money. Maybe browse there for a while?

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

So a digital art piece of mine is going to be in an art show this summer, and the guy running it asked me (among other things) how many prints I plan on sending/the price I'd like those prints to sell for. I've never done anything like this before and I have no clue what heuristic to use to determine things like pricing. Any suggestions re: how to approach this?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I need help to identify a painting from a description:

It was in the San Francisco museum of modern art. There was a man sitting on a couch, in a dark room, facing the camera. Behind him there was a window. You could see the sloped street and some cars outside.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?

Chernabog posted:

I need help to identify a painting from a description:

It was in the San Francisco museum of modern art. There was a man sitting on a couch, in a dark room, facing the camera. Behind him there was a window. You could see the sloped street and some cars outside.

http://www.sfmoma.org/explore/collection/painting_sculpture

c'mon. really.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The website was down last time I checked. And it doesn't seem to be there anyway.

Edit: Nvm, I guess I can go artist by artist until I find it.

Edit2: I was wrong.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 14, 2012

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Actually it's on the first page on that link I just posted; you barely even have to scroll down.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Ugh, I'm sorry, I missed it completely. Thanks.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
How do people deal with setting up their vanishing points for perspective drawing? I always end up feeling like I have to get a piece of paper the size of a wall to get the VPs far enough away from each other.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

neonnoodle posted:

How do people deal with setting up their vanishing points for perspective drawing? I always end up feeling like I have to get a piece of paper the size of a wall to get the VPs far enough away from each other.

Honestly I think you just get to a point where you do so many you can just imagine the vanishing points instead of actually drawing them. Least that's how my last drawing teacher went about it. Or if you want just draw the vanishing points on another sheet of paper and just not have them be part of the final piece.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Put your paper on a larger board to mark out the vanishing points. A drawing board if you will.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

eminkey2003 posted:

Are you sure it's the pen? Which program are you using? In Photoshop, to turn on pressure sensitive tapering or opacity, go to Window>Brushes>checkmark Shape Dynamics and Other Dynamics (I'm using CS2) Click on these two to make sure Size Jitter and Opacity Jitter are set to Pen Pressure.

It appears in all software and the wacom driver calibration settings thingo. Os/X lion on a early 2011 MBP

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm looking into buying a scanner because my usual method of taking cellphone pictures of sketches and then making them half-way presentable in Photoshop is really dumb. So what is a good scanner or what should I look for in buying one. I am mostly using it for scanning in pictures from my sketchbook.

cmykJester fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 17, 2012

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm trying to make an image macro. The type where someone says something really poignant and they look all refined and stuff like that. I have no art skills and have downloaded GIMP. I have no idea what I'm doing. I can't even get the picture a bit bigger or get the text to appear on screen. Any help or direction to a good resource for a newbie like me would be great. Thanks a lot!

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Jastiger posted:

I'm trying to make an image macro. The type where someone says something really poignant and they look all refined and stuff like that. I have no art skills and have downloaded GIMP. I have no idea what I'm doing. I can't even get the picture a bit bigger or get the text to appear on screen. Any help or direction to a good resource for a newbie like me would be great. Thanks a lot!

try google

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Can anyone recommend any good tutorials on how to crop an image in Photoshop CS5 and not suck? It's something I could never do very well. All of my cropped images end up very... jagged. And odd-looking. I'm trying to cut someone out of a digital photo and adding them onto a landscape and I'm hitting a roadblock.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

melon cat posted:

Can anyone recommend any good tutorials on how to crop an image in Photoshop CS5 and not suck? It's something I could never do very well. All of my cropped images end up very... jagged. And odd-looking. I'm trying to cut someone out of a digital photo and adding them onto a landscape and I'm hitting a roadblock.

You want to use layer masks rather than using the marquee or eraser tool.
http://photoshoptips.net/2006/07/25/layer-masks/

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

melon cat posted:

Can you post an example of what things look like now?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Humboldt squid posted:

You want to use layer masks rather than using the marquee or eraser tool.
http://photoshoptips.net/2006/07/25/layer-masks/
Thanks a lot for this. I'll give it a go!

neonnoodle posted:

Can you post an example of what things look like now?
I really wish I could because I know how helpful it'd be, but it's a work-related project and I'll probably have my nuts stapled to the wall if I display it anywhere. Sorry. :(

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

tl/dr: Im a horrible jerk and my friend wants me to make him a depressing birthday cake. Im doing it in haiku form but am terrible.

syllables are tricky. when in doubt, put your hand under your chin and count how many times it moves down. That's the amount of syllables you just said.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Jastiger posted:

http://memegenerator.net/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
Was just hoping someone might recognise the picture at 2:47 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYgSfNGkwbo