Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Apparently 'Backing it in' is not an officially recognised method of cornering and may result in a 'dangerous riding' offence.

Nonsense!

I meant to include that. Makes sense. Can't see a cop letting a Sumo back it in right by him slide. (no pun intended) Now if I could just learn how to do it....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Come up to SB sometime, we'll have sumo slide day!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Z3n posted:

Come up to SB sometime, we'll have sumo slide day!

I will one of these days but I don't think the 07 model in particular is very slide friendly

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Why is that? Any bike can be slide friendly, it might just require a certain approach/technique.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
I have a 2005 DRZ. Would I be better off getting a TT FCR39 + MRD/SSW or selling the DRZ and getting this?

Click here for the full 1041x673 image.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You'd be better off buying the husky.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
I thought so. I just emailed him.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I think that would make you the first Husky 610 owner in the CA SM gang.

The 610 will blow your mind vs the DRZ. Good luck!

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I had a dream last night that me and a bunch of other guys on supermotos (I was on a BMW of some kind) were tooling around like a bunch of hooligans on the top floors of some huge building. Huge wheelies, stoppies, locking the back brake and doing 180s, backing it in, jumping whatever we could, terrorizing the levels below..

It seemed to last for at least an hour, and then I saw a security guard and woke up :(

For the time it was happening though, it was very vivid and lovely. Especially the time we were on the roof, which was the majority. Oh, supermoto...

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
Well, I'm going to go look at / buy the SM610 tomorrow. Anyone in San Antonio / Austin want to buy a 2005 DRZ with 12.7k and a bunch of extras?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Roof and Warehouse supermoto are the best. Go turn that dream into a reality. You wont regret it (unless you get caught).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Roof and Warehouse supermoto are the best. Go turn that dream into a reality. You wont regret it (unless you get caught).

Gotta throw out the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o9g65hBwzs

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYu7DQn5vAI

Christ, I want one :(

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Spiffness posted:

gently caress, and this just came up the other day:
http://bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129463

2001 DRZ S with USD forks, 440 kit, FCR 39mm carb, Yoshi exhaust, 32mm rotor, stainless lines, Yoshi race ignition, Excel 17" wheels, etc.

All for $3500 which is pretty good in Canada here. hmm.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That's a really nice bike, with a kicker engine to boot. Pretty much the holy grail of DRZs, plus a BB kit and built by Siseneros, who's the name in DRZ modifications. Should be dead reliable and go forever and put out about 45 RWHP.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Go buy that drat thing right now. As far as DRZ's go, Z3n is right, that is the holy grail.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

He just reduced his price to $3,300. Not bad, dude.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Seriously considering it. I could start dd-ing right loving now, too. And insurance would be ridiculously cheap. gently caress. I want it.

Edit: Could use it as my track bike too. HMMM.

MrZig fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 17, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MrZig posted:

Seriously considering it. I could start dd-ing right loving now, too. And insurance would be ridiculously cheap. gently caress. I want it.

Edit: Could use it as my track bike too. HMMM.

Just buy it already, you obviously want to and that is one hell of a DRZ.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Go. Buy. It.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Z3n posted:

Why is that? Any bike can be slide friendly, it might just require a certain approach/technique.

True, I just feel like it's so much more of a brick than other super motos. But gently caress if people can drift sport bikes...

Z3n posted:

Gotta throw out the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o9g65hBwzs

Haha holy poo poo

A repost but in similar vein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFd4t0M_XmU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

What is it about the geometry of a supermoto that makes it very easy and confidence-inspring to slide? I can spin the rear tire up and not get freaked out by it like I do with other bikes I've ridden, even small ones. I know that the MX bars allow better leverage and it's light and all that, but the bike just feels less likely to highside or lowside than a typical streetbike.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Spiffness posted:

Go. Buy. It.

What questions should I ask him before looking at/picking it up? (It's 6 hours away)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrZig posted:

What questions should I ask him before looking at/picking it up? (It's 6 hours away)

"Will you meet me halfway?"

Seriously: ask about the usual stuff...have the valves been checked, how's the condition of the consumables, ask if the bearings (swingarm, head, shock linkages) have been greased, condition of the hubs, spokes, etc. I'd also ask if it has a DRZ400SM front end or the front end from another bike. Beyond that the engines are pretty bulletproof so...just enjoy it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Is it worth to take a DRZ400(dirt bike) and convert it to road legal with blinkers and headlight? Is there difference in titles for dirt/road bikes?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Russian Bear posted:

Is it worth to take a DRZ400(dirt bike) and convert it to road legal with blinkers and headlight? Is there difference in titles for dirt/road bikes?

Depends entirely on your state. Some states have a fairly lenient process for this, and some states it's pretty much impossible.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
It is done.

2006 sm610 with 3200

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Good man. Welcome to the dark side of motorcycling. It's a blast.

Tell us all about the Husky! Can't wait to hear how you get along on it.

Have fun, and remember to keep one wheel in reserve at all times.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Empire Waffles posted:

It is done.

2006 sm610 with 3200

Nice. I'm pretty sure you're the first Husky 610 owner in CA. Post pics and what you think of the bike!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Empire Waffles posted:

It is done.

2006 sm610 with 3200

One of Us. One of Us.

Congrats dude, now post some drat pics already.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Went and replaced my roadracing Joe Rocket boots (pretty flimsy to be honest) with Alpinestars Tech 3's. So much better and more protective, and now the shifter/peg distance makes sense. Walking around in them takes some getting used to but my ankles actually feel like they'll be protected in a crash now. I wouldn't recommend them unless you wear leathers or tight pants, though - there's no way you're fitting those bad boys underneath your pants unless you're MC Hammer.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

there's no way you're fitting those bad boys underneath your pants unless you're MC Hammer.

What if I am MC Hammer? :colbert:

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
The bike is pretty awesome, it's like a DRZ but everything is better on it. It's the FCR41 model and it needs new tires (cracking) and a new chain. The guy has it lowered a lot on the triples and the pre-load, so I'll need to address that.

If you look at how exposed the pipe is on the left side you can see how on my 3 minute ride my jeans started fuzing to my shoes. Compared to my mostly stock DRZ it pulls harder and runs smoother. Insurance is exactly the same price as the DRZ for me.

It has a MCCT on it but he gave me the ACCT also so I can measure the cam chain slack. He said it's at 6 clicks right now. So I'd guess it has another 3-4k before I get the tear the bike apart.

Any other questions?

Click here for the full 1987x1224 image.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ah man, poor thing hasn't even been crashed yet.

Didn't realize you are coming up off a DRZ. That's awesome. Enjoy that 6th gear. Interested to know how it does on longer highway trips.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Put some handguards on it for sumo street cred. And holy gently caress that guy lowered the triples in the forks a lot. I think most people only recommend changing their height by about 4mm, and it's not like supermotards need to be twitchier than they already are.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 18, 2011

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
You have to drill out the ends of the bars to do it. So I might get some pro-tapers and add hand guards. The SME sliders are still new and the 6th gear is going to be awesome.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Picking up the DRZ this weekend. Guy is letting me have it for $3000, but it'll cost me about $200 in gas & ferry costs just to get it so in the end, it's still a hell of a deal on an amazing machine. Can't wait to get it home.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

The cockles of my heart grow warm with our growing army of motard goons.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
I rode it a bit tonight. It pulls a lot better, even in 6th on the freeway. It seems like it's vibrating more than the DRZ, but it's the little ones that make my rear end itch. So I might be checking the torque on the primary and counter balance nut. Neutral is being picky and hard to find.

Also the LCD stopped working...day 1.

e: Also I think it's lean. Popping on decel and surging. So I might go up a main jet.

Empire Waffles fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, does anyone know if you can get a DRZ in Guam? I've been searching online forever and cannot find a yes or no answer.

I'm moving there next month for 3yrs, and it seems like it'd be a great thing to ride over there. My drive to work will be less than 10 miles, the speed limit on island is like 35, there's a million spots to trail ride...just seems like the perfect commuter bike there.

• Locked thread