Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby
So I finally got another plumber out to look at my pipes (and he seems excellent, union plumber with 39 years exp) and come up with a plan to repipe. Gonna get an estimate next week.

While he was here, he asked if I ever had any weird smells from the tub drain and I said I did but figured it was some sort of weird biofilm. Turns out my tub is unvented and doesn't even have a trap. I've been smelling sewer gas. Yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

t_violet posted:

So I finally got another plumber out to look at my pipes (and he seems excellent, union plumber with 39 years exp) and come up with a plan to repipe. Gonna get an estimate next week.

While he was here, he asked if I ever had any weird smells from the tub drain and I said I did but figured it was some sort of weird biofilm. Turns out my tub is unvented and doesn't even have a trap. I've been smelling sewer gas. Yay.

Union plumbers will cost a poo poo ton. Its usually why union shops dont do anything small because they can't compete.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

1: read above about water hammer arrestors.

2: Could be the water line under it leaking.

Turn off water and relieve pressure. Then search youtube on how to remove a John Guest fitting.

Perfect - got a new fitting and no more leak. drat hot water dispensers.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Glad it worked out for ya.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Regarding my dishwasher:

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

2: Could be the water line under it leaking.
Not that I doubt you, but isn't it strange how this happens every other month or so? I would imagine a leaky water line would cause it to leak all the time? I should note that when it does leak, it's leaking dirty water. When this happens and I open the dishwasher door, there is excess water and it smells putrid.

Just want to make sure I know what I'm dealing with before taking the dishwasher out.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Bank posted:

Regarding my dishwasher:
Not that I doubt you, but isn't it strange how this happens every other month or so? I would imagine a leaky water line would cause it to leak all the time? I should note that when it does leak, it's leaking dirty water. When this happens and I open the dishwasher door, there is excess water and it smells putrid.

Just want to make sure I know what I'm dealing with before taking the dishwasher out.

Oh it shouldnt be holding water. May be a clogged drain line but its odd how it finally leaks and not right away.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I was helping a buddy track down a leak that was dripping in his basement and we narrowed it down to one of the hot water supply lines in his kitchen. Thing is, thease are weird connectors. I was expecting usual compression fittings or something, but instead got this:

Is this another kind of John Guest fitting or something else? Either way, I would guess we're just better of replacing them as opposed to screwing around with trying to reseat or tighten them.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

jackyl posted:

I was helping a buddy track down a leak that was dripping in his basement and we narrowed it down to one of the hot water supply lines in his kitchen. Thing is, thease are weird connectors. I was expecting usual compression fittings or something, but instead got this:

Is this another kind of John Guest fitting or something else? Either way, I would guess we're just better of replacing them as opposed to screwing around with trying to reseat or tighten them.

Yes they are similar. I dont know if you can remove those. Try turning off the water and draining the house down. Turn off the water heater also. Just incase you siphon it.

Then put a crescent wrench under it and adjust it to the size of the pipe. Then pry upwards and it may remove it.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Yes they are similar. I dont know if you can remove those. Try turning off the water and draining the house down. Turn off the water heater also. Just incase you siphon it.

Then put a crescent wrench under it and adjust it to the size of the pipe. Then pry upwards and it may remove it.

Thanks. I figured it was something close to that and just recommended that he buy a compression or sweat fitting so we could just get rid of that valve, whatever it is. There's a slight chance the leak is where the supply hits the sink faucets, so we tied paper towels there too, but I suspect it is these unions.

It is kinda cool that you can just pull it up for a shutoff though.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

jackyl posted:

Thanks. I figured it was something close to that and just recommended that he buy a compression or sweat fitting so we could just get rid of that valve, whatever it is. There's a slight chance the leak is where the supply hits the sink faucets, so we tied paper towels there too, but I suspect it is these unions.

It is kinda cool that you can just pull it up for a shutoff though.

Get a 1/4 turn compression angle stop. They are even better and more ridigd. I hate those ones because if the supply gets hosed up you have to replace everything and not just the angle stop.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
So my toilet decided to clog up pretty much 100%. After trying an auger, chemicals, and a plunger, I took off the toilet. Turns out my pipe is completely sealed with roots. I need some ideas of how to clear this out as cheap as possible, the environment be damned. If I do end up neededing a plumber, what ballpark figure should I expect to pay?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

So my toilet decided to clog up pretty much 100%. After trying an auger, chemicals, and a plunger, I took off the toilet. Turns out my pipe is completely sealed with roots. I need some ideas of how to clear this out as cheap as possible, the environment be damned. If I do end up neededing a plumber, what ballpark figure should I expect to pay?

Crawl space? roots where?
I had this happen to me under the crawl space so I dug to the pipe my self (that was fun) then the plumbers connected the old clay to the new plastic waste line. Cost like $300. If they have to get the backhoe it won't be cheap

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

tater_salad posted:

I had this happen to me under the crawl space so I dug to the pipe my self (that was fun) then the plumbers connected the old clay to the new plastic waste line. Cost like $300. If they have to get the backhoe it won't be cheap

He is right, it wont be cheap if you have them dig up the yard. You can try renting a snake with a cutting blade but it will have to be done yearly to fix the problem.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

He is right, it wont be cheap if you have them dig up the yard. You can try renting a snake with a cutting blade but it will have to be done yearly to fix the problem.

Speaking of snaking yearly, I need to do this because I have 3 trees between my house and the city line.
Is this something I can do myself? I've always paid the plumbers to do it because I don't want to kill my clay pipe? I also don't have the experience to know what to feel for.

Any tips for doing it myself?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

tater_salad posted:

Speaking of snaking yearly, I need to do this because I have 3 trees between my house and the city line.
Is this something I can do myself? I've always paid the plumbers to do it because I don't want to kill my clay pipe? I also don't have the experience to know what to feel for.

Any tips for doing it myself?

Instead of doing it yearly just replace it with abs pipe.

Ive honestly never snaked through clay but I know most snake companies have a disclosure that says if they break a pipe with there snake they arent liable.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

tater_salad posted:

I don't know where it comes into the house. My house is on a slab. But I can see the roots right in the hole in the floor when I remove the toilet. My biggest fear is that my house is fairly new, built in 01 or 03. So I'm sure its got pvc or whatever is used these days. So I likely have a crack somewhere. With a slab foundation, I'm worried its going to cost me thousands to fix.

What about chemicals to kill the roots?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Instead of doing it yearly just replace it with abs pipe.

That requires a backhoe and I don't plan on staying at this house forever, so at $135 a year it isn't worth it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I suppose this is a plumbing question and not an HVAC one. The humidifier on my furnace is old, made by a company that has been bought and sold 5 times in the past 15 years. I had to replace the leaking solenoid valve on it last year, which was a bitch because I couldn't find a drop-in replacement. My old solenoid had 1/4" FIP holes on either side, and all of the new solenoids have 1/4" male compression on either side. So I had to improvise.

The reason the old valve had female holes was because of the the brass parts on either side of the valve. The most important part of the supply-side fittings was something strange that I've never seen before. It was a brass 1/4" MIP coupler with a tiny nylon pinhole emitter on one end, and a mesh filter inserted inside the coupler. At first when I tried to swap out the valves, I noticed that a 1/4" line full on wastes too much water down the humidifier drain and the flow was WAY more than the old solenoid with its mystery part. I'm guessing it was some type of pressure reducer?

A year ago when I swapped valves, I managed to piece together enough fittings to reuse that mystery part and all was good. Well, I forgot to put that mesh filter back in. That part clogged yesterday and I made the pinhole too big cleaning it out. Right now I just have the valve for that branch turned down to a trickle. So I got 2 questions:

1. What the hell is that part called?
2. Where can I get a replacement?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 15, 2012

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

tater_salad posted:

That requires a backhoe and I don't plan on staying at this house forever, so at $135 a year it isn't worth it.

Ya that makes sense , You can try snaking yourself, most likely its a straight shot then if no one else has had a problem. Don't try to snake further once you clear the leak so you don't mess up the leak.

kid sinister posted:

I suppose this is a plumbing question and not an HVAC one. The humidifier on my furnace is old, made by a company that has been bought and sold 5 times in the past 15 years. I had to replace the leaking solenoid valve on it last year, which was a bitch because I couldn't find a drop-in replacement. My old solenoid had 1/4" FIP holes on either side, and all of the new solenoids have 1/4" male compression on either side. So I had to improvise.

The reason the old valve had female holes was because of the the brass parts on either side of the valve. The most important part of the supply-side fittings was something strange that I've never seen before. It was a brass 1/4" MIP coupler with a tiny nylon pinhole emitter on one end, and a mesh filter inserted inside the coupler. At first when I tried to swap out the valves, I noticed that a 1/4" line full on wastes too much water down the humidifier drain and the flow was WAY more than the old solenoid with its mystery part. I'm guessing it was some type of pressure reducer?

A year ago when I swapped valves, I managed to piece together enough fittings to reuse that mystery part and all was good. Well, I forgot to put that mesh filter back in. That part clogged yesterday and I made the pinhole too big cleaning it out. Right now I just have the valve for that branch turned down to a trickle. So I got 2 questions:

1. What the hell is that part called?
2. Where can I get a replacement?

1- Can I get a picture of the valve it may give me a better idea

2- n/a yet

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

tater_salad posted:

I should elaborate.Once you clear the leak dont push further because you may break through a fitting. Thoug this is a temporary fix but it will solve your problems for now.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

1- Can I get a picture of the valve it may give me a better idea

Here you go. The first picture is the entire pour spout that goes from the solenoid to the top tray of the humidifier. I didn't include anything for scale, but the mystery part is 1 inch long. Again, on the original solenoid valve, those fittings screwed into the supply side of the solenoid. I added a coupling on the end so I could attach the pour spout.

edit: Nevermind, I solved my own problem. I had to work backwards from the evaporator pad, but I figured out that my humidifier isn't really a ComfortMaker. It's a re-badged General model 709, which I can get parts for still! The mystery part along with its entrance fitting called an "orifice assembly".

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 17, 2012

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

It can't be said too many times how great the American Standard Cadet 3 is. We have the compact version of it, since we have a house built in the 50s with a tiny bathroom. This toilet is the cat's pajamas. I would dare say the flush is quite luxurious.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I heart bacon posted:

It can't be said too many times how great the American Standard Cadet 3 is. We have the compact version of it, since we have a house built in the 50s with a tiny bathroom. This toilet is the cat's pajamas. I would dare say the flush is quite luxurious.

Did you get the 1.6 or 1.28 gpf version? I have had a couple plumbers recommend the Cadet 3 as well but one said to avoid the 1.28 gpf as he felt it was underpowered.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
After reading reviews I replaced an old Mansfield with one of these awhile back, and for the money, this thing's been awesome:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_104502-8832...archQueryType=1

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Jared592 posted:

After reading reviews I replaced an old Mansfield with one of these awhile back, and for the money, this thing's been awesome:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_104502-8832...archQueryType=1

Never used one of those but I am with others when saying the cadet 3 is the best. Though I've only used the 1.6 not the 1.28.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Never used one of those but I am with others when saying the cadet 3 is the best.

...but do they come in solid gold?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

kid sinister posted:

...but do they come in solid gold?

No, do you have a toilet that does?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

No, do you have a toilet that does?

No, mine's in silver. :(

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

MH Knights posted:

Did you get the 1.6 or 1.28 gpf version? I have had a couple plumbers recommend the Cadet 3 as well but one said to avoid the 1.28 gpf as he felt it was underpowered.

Crap... I don't remember. I would assume it's the 1.6 since it's a fairly powerful.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Oh, gently caress me. I got back home from dinner and some errands about fifteen minutes ago and found that the toilet in our guest bathroom has been running for at least four hours, and probably longer than that. Our home is on a septic system - am I in for it, or is one day of running toilet not enough to screw us out of a working septic system?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Chachi posted:

Oh, gently caress me. I got back home from dinner and some errands about fifteen minutes ago and found that the toilet in our guest bathroom has been running for at least four hours, and probably longer than that. Our home is on a septic system - am I in for it, or is one day of running toilet not enough to screw us out of a working septic system?

I believe the drain field should take care of it. With your septic do you ever flush yeast to help it. I beleive its yeast that will help it eat poo poo ( no pun intended). I've heard with a proper septic tank you should never have to pump it.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Oh something else I'll talk about, If you have a closed loop system on your water heater. It is recommended to have an expansion tank.

Closed loop systems are systems that are behind a pressure reducing valve, a back flow preventer. Or anything that works as a check valve.

When water heats up it expands, You may notice a burst of pressure when you open your sinks faucet. This is a sign that you should install a expansion tank.

When you install them put a ball valve with a boiler drain and then the expansion tank. You want to install the tank 2 PSI below normal operating pressure or it may cause your T.P valve to weap.

You can install it on the hot and cold side. Its recommended to install on the cold side of the water heater so you dont waste energy. If you have hot water sitting in the tank , it will lose its heat and its another gallon you will have to pass for you to get hot water at your tap.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

I believe the drain field should take care of it. With your septic do you ever flush yeast to help it. I beleive its yeast that will help it eat poo poo ( no pun intended). I've heard with a proper septic tank you should never have to pump it.

That's a relief. I was about ready to tear my hair out because the soil over the drain field was pretty wet, but after what you said I'm willing to believe that's just because of the rain we had last night. Guess I'll just practice some water austerity for a couple of days and try to let the field work :downs:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

... If you have hot water sitting in the tank , it will lose its heat and its another gallon you will have to pass for you to get hot water at your tap.

What's your opinion on recirculating pumps in residential settings? Seems like it'd save energy and water if it's a moderately long way (~85-100') from your hot water heater to your faucet.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

What's your opinion on recirculating pumps in residential settings? Seems like it'd save energy and water if it's a moderately long way (~85-100') from your hot water heater to your faucet.

Energy savings if done correctly can be benificial. One of the biggest problem I see people do is under size the piping for the pump. I'd recommend a 3/4 line or 1 inch depending on the pump you use. Due to the fact that the turbulence in the smaller pipe causes pin hole leaks.

One cool system is http://www.switch2o.com. They have an On demand water system. Most systems work on a time and just recirc the water weather its being used or not. This works on light switches and sense the temperature of the water in the pipe.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

t_violet posted:

OK, just an update on my plumber situation for those that like to read about house repairs.

I got a quote of $1500 for all the work (basically my tax refund, yay). That's to replace the galvanized steel from the meter to the back of the house including trenching, repipe all that mess I pictured before and tuck it under the house (in pex), fix a small gas leak on my hot water heater, and install a P-trap on the tub to stop the sewer gas. Gonna wait on repiping the rest of the house and putting in a S-trap and vent until I do the big bathroom remodel in a couple of years and take up the floor and walls. Also, the electrician came by and verified that my panel is already properly grounded so I don't need to upgrade that. (I just had the whole thing replace for $$ in the fall so that was a relief).

Anyway, the price seems really reasonable for this amount of work and I have a ton of confidence in this guy, very knowledgeable and willing to talk about the pro and cons of pex all day long.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

t_violet posted:

OK, just an update on my plumber situation for those that like to read about house repairs.

I got a quote of $1500 for all the work (basically my tax refund, yay). That's to replace the galvanized steel from the meter to the back of the house including trenching, repipe all that mess I pictured before and tuck it under the house (in pex), fix a small gas leak on my hot water heater, and install a P-trap on the tub to stop the sewer gas. Gonna wait on repiping the rest of the house and putting in a S-trap and vent until I do the big bathroom remodel in a couple of years and take up the floor and walls. Also, the electrician came by and verified that my panel is already properly grounded so I don't need to upgrade that. (I just had the whole thing replace for $$ in the fall so that was a relief).

Anyway, the price seems really reasonable for this amount of work and I have a ton of confidence in this guy, very knowledgeable and willing to talk about the pro and cons of pex all day long.

Sounds good so far but in what code is an S trap legal?

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Sounds good so far but in what code is an S trap legal?

I misremembered. We talked about the various traps and how I'm not bringing everything up to current code yet, just improving what I have until the bigger upgrade. Do unvented P-traps work? He's either going to put in an unvented P-trap or an S-trap as a short term measure but now I've confused myself on which.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

t_violet posted:

I misremembered. We talked about the various traps and how I'm not bringing everything up to current code yet, just improving what I have until the bigger upgrade. Do unvented P-traps work? He's either going to put in an unvented P-trap or an S-trap as a short term measure but now I've confused myself on which.

if its just temp it may work. If it doesnt he can always put in a strudder vent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

Besides my fcuked up toilet, I have a minor issue with my hot water that you might give me insight on.

In my shower, when I turn it on, I let it run a few minutes to heat up. Most days, it gets nice and hot. Other days, its just luke warm. No one else is using water at the same time as me. I shower basically around the same time every day. The water heater is set to the same temp 24 hours a day. Its gas heat and probably 8-9 years old. Any ideas?