Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
https://vimeo.com/46297114

here's a great interview with Steffi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Blowdryer posted:

So does this mean as long as I'm not hitting reds on the level bars on the S2 I'm good to go?

Nope. The mixer is running in the red and sounding awful is another thing entirely.

Speakers die from hitting their mechanical or thermal limits, note that manufacturers specifications are almost always exaggerated. The only way to make sure you're not killing speakers is to know the voltages your speakers will die at (good luck finding those details from pretty much any brand on the market considering they use bullshit watts instead of something accurate) and to install a limiter to clamp the voltage at a given level.

...that's the only way to play hard forever and not kill speakers.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 4, 2012

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Feed Me's visual setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMPur05qOBo

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Hey guys, I've been dorking around with a Mixtrack Pro and Virtual DJ for the last few months, and I think I've learned enough to ask for criticism on my first ever recorded set :catdrugs:
http://soundcloud.com/alfaj0r/party-party-mix
I "felt it" as I recorded this, so that's why I'm posting it. My transitions are probably not very clean yet, but I think I make at least acceptable ones. However, the selection of the tunes is the most fun, and I do feel that this mix is fun because of my choices. So, someone let me know if I should keep trying or if I should find a new hobby :ohdear:

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Alfajor posted:

Hey guys, I've been dorking around with a Mixtrack Pro and Virtual DJ for the last few months, and I think I've learned enough to ask for criticism on my first ever recorded set :catdrugs:
http://soundcloud.com/alfaj0r/party-party-mix
I "felt it" as I recorded this, so that's why I'm posting it. My transitions are probably not very clean yet, but I think I make at least acceptable ones. However, the selection of the tunes is the most fun, and I do feel that this mix is fun because of my choices. So, someone let me know if I should keep trying or if I should find a new hobby :ohdear:

Did you intend for the Steffi track to come in then out like that? When I saw that it said "party mix" i was like "uh oh" then I heard the Steffi track and was like "oh this person knows whats up" but then you took it away from me. I would have just started with the Haddaway track then the Steffi track (tbh I would have just played the Steffi track no Haddaway but I love Steffi so ++).

I would maybe not rely on looping out as a way to do your own phrasing like you did in the first transition. Like, just find a spot in the track where you can mix out for 16 / 32 or whatever measures instead of just awkwardly looping out. Of course, that's totally a taste thing and that's how I'd prefer listening to it.

you really take it some degrees away from Steffi, but that's your thing. What you played later in the mix really isn't what I'm into. It's not like "oh this is awful" so like, yeah keep trying without a doubt.

And uh, even if someone says that it is garbage, you should never give up your hobby just because someone says you're bad at it.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I appreciate the feedback! I'm enjoying it, so I'll probably keep at it.
I do usually rely on awkwardly looping something to then phase it out, so I'll try to see if I can figure out a better way of phasing out. That's kind of feedback I need, about "technique", because I'm just trying to figure poo poo out on my own, and I'm much better at learning when people point out things that I need to do.
As far as the music selection, this is of course all over the place because I was just having fun. It wasn't a per-deterimined playlist, but when I was in the middle of it I was glad I was recording it.

Anyway, thanks again. I'll be back with something else eventually :)

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
I think good mixing should come from just strict blends, relying on looping only in specific situations where you need it. Try to think of things old school, if you only had vinyl you would put on a record and just make do. If the blend starts getting weird, you couldn't loop one track or trigger a cue point, you had to just cut all the bass out or rush the cross fade, etc. Once you get comfortable with that sort of panic mixing, little things like loops can help elevate your mixing, instead of hinder it.

I hadn't recorded a mix in a while, so I put an hour together. Lots of recent UK Bass and Tech House, gets a lot higher energy than I usually do, but still very deep and dark. Fun tunes from Dirty Bird and Swamp 81, Mia Dora, Eats Everything, Ramadanman. Enjoy!

http://soundcloud.com/nacktmusic/take-the-biscuit

reichsten fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 7, 2012

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Just fuckin do it Flex style and drop a track and play a bomb sound and yell a lot

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Thanks guys. Looping and then phasing to the other deck is about all I know how to do so far, so I'll practice doing anything but that for a while now. :)

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Alfajor posted:

Thanks guys. Looping and then phasing to the other deck is about all I know how to do so far, so I'll practice doing anything but that for a while now. :)

Try letting the tracks play and use the EQ's to bring them in/out.

I decided I'd try to make a mix trying to mix most of the songs fairly fast, I think it's pretty alright for the most part, most of the messups seemed a lot worse to me when I was recording than they seem in the recording. http://www.mixcloud.com/bonhommerichard/the-september-not-chill-time-mix/

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
Yeah EQ is the biggest thing I think. Most of my blends start with the bass all the way out, or the highs all the way out. Bring it in at a low volume on a 8 or 16 bar phrase, slowly bring the volume up, then swap the bass or highs at another drop 8 or 16 later. EQ is the biggest thing for a nice blend for me

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Got it. I was looping because that way I had more control over what section of the track I would be phasing into, and I could beatmatch/hit the sync before the other track was audible.
So with that said, if you're not looping, how do you ensure you are fully playing the track you phased into, where you want it to be? Do you just set up a cue 16/32 bars earlier, and same for the beatmatching? My concern being that all of a sudden the point where I wanted to be playing track B has passed, and then I get even messier.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Alfajor posted:

So with that said, if you're not looping, how do you ensure you are fully playing the track you phased into, where you want it to be? Do you just set up a cue 16/32 bars earlier, and same for the beatmatching? My concern being that all of a sudden the point where I wanted to be playing track B has passed, and then I get even messier.

You just have to know your tracks. So you need to know, for example, that the bassline starts on this joint B 48 measures into the track and that like, the joint A playing is about to get into a phase where there will be less going on - a perfect mix out point, and it last like, 16 measures. So, if you want the bassline to start right when the mixout point begins, then say if you're mixing joint B 16 measures before the mixout point, you cue joint B 32 measures into the track and press play. It's really just about knowing your tracks and cueing as necessary.

Edit: also, listen to a lot of other mixes. That will always help.

2x Edit: What Sjoewe said is true: you just have to feel it. You'll count now, but eventually, you'll just know what has to happen.

a milk crime fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 7, 2012

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
Yeah what he said. If you're REALLY planning it out to practice, you can find perfect spots on the tracks and then count backwards. So find a place in song 1 where a breakdown / build up happens and decide where you want song 2 to be in fully. Then look at song 2 and find where the first main drop comes in, usually at like bar 33 or somewhere in 16 bar increments.

So let's say Song 1 has the buildup / drop at bar 129, and you want Song 2 to be in fully there, just do 129 - 33 = 96. So start at bar 96 (or wherever the 8 or 16 bar phrase starts around there) and make that your mix point. Then try mixing that whole section a few times, getting the EQ and volume blends just right. The more you are comfortable with that sort of mixing, the easier it gets to drop in on the fly

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
The more you DJ, the more you will just learn when and where to mix. With vocals it's pretty easy, and for tracks without vocals the rule of 8's is your friend. That's assuming you aren't djing math rock or some other non-4/4 signatured tracks.

Just practice a lot and you'll figure out a.)your own personal style of mixing and b.)how songs are put together.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
In the end proper DJ'ing is all about feeling the music, not counting it, it will just get you too distracted from the more important things going on. Although if you are a beginner, count until you cry, and over time recognizing musical structure will become second nature. At some point you can just drop tracks and they all magically will fit in. One off the best feelings behind the decks.

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 7, 2012

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Sweet jesus, thank you all. I'll keep practicing, that's for sure. After all your tips, I can't wait to get home and DJ in my living room all weekend.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Sjoewe posted:

In the end proper DJ'ing is all about feeling the music, not counting it, it will just get you too distracted from the more important things going on. Although if you are a beginner, count until you cry, and over time recognizing musical structure will become second nature. At some point you can just drop tracks and they all magically will fit in. One off the best feelings behind the decks.

The worst feeling is when you're just loving around at the decks at home, and make 3 magic blends in a row, then wish you were recording, then wish you remembered where the mix points were

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

reichsten posted:

The worst feeling is when you're just loving around at the decks at home, and make 3 magic blends in a row, then wish you were recording, then wish you remembered where the mix points were

This is why you record every mix you make :colbert:

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
your a mad man

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I didn't say you had the keep them. Storage space is cheap anyway.

I've started recording any time I'm mixing, listening back straight afterwards and then deleting it. It's probably harder if you're mixing externally though.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

If you're using traktor or any of the other digital DJ programs you should also be able to drop cue points in a song at places like the chorus, breakdown, that awesome drum fill, etc., or at the places you think would be good to mix out at. Eventually you shouldn't need that anymore, but as another beginner I've found it helps to go through and set a few markers like that when I'm beatgridding my tracks just so I don't get lost in the track and forget where I wanted to transition.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
No, really don't. Learn to DJ with your ears not your eyes. It's really hard to unlearn this, and proper DJ'ing is a state of mind where you barely need to look at your equipment, and glaring at your laptop doesn't really help. I've seen so many people do this, it may lead to 'perfectly' timed mixes, but it makes them incredibly boring as well. If you're a beginner you should make mistakes and learn from them. If the blend goes wrong while practicing, just rewind and try again, and again, and yeah... again. And no, you won't record a perfect mix the first one to two years, but after that you will be much more comfortable behind the decks, because you are used to make mistakes and know how to correct them. And as described above: record, relisten, retry.

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 9, 2012

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Buying a new Xone 42 next week and I can't be more excited.

I'm still going to be using Traktor but I'm switching over from an S4 and the first thing I'm going to do is crank that filter.

Eventually I want a pair of CDJs but at this point I might as well save up a bit more. As much as I love Traktor, something about doing most of my gigs with just a CD wallet, 2 USB keys, and my headphones, really appeals to me.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Sjoewe posted:

No, really don't. Learn to DJ with your ears not your eyes. It's really hard to unlearn this, and proper DJ'ing is a state of mind where you barely need to look at your equipment, and glaring at your laptop doesn't really help.

I understand what you're saying, and in principal I do agree with you. BUT, to jump to a certain part of a certain song, cue points are the same as lifting and moving the needle.

You're basically saying "controller DJs shouldn't use cue points", but imagine if vinyl DJs weren't able to lift and move the needle and had to quickly spin all the way to the part of the song they want.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
No, man you got it right, sorry if I made it unclear. I'm not against using cue-points at all (and I believe that everyone should DJ just the way he/she wants). I'm just saying that as a beginner you should focus on listening instead of viewing a track. If you're going to drop cue-markers as visual aids to where you need to drop the next track, you're never going to get the hang of hearing the structure of your music, as you are always visualizing it.
But once you've got that down, drop all the cues you want. Customizable start-cue's are among the best things in CDJ's and Traktor in comparison to vinyl.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A friend of mine brought over his Numark TTX turntables for me to use as they've been sat in his garage for 2 years.

Now I can do fine with CDJs but this is completely different... Gonna take me a while to get comfortable with vinyl. They're so loving solid though, make my CDJs feel like toys.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I've been thinking about getting an external sound card to use a dvs setup with my cdjs becuase I need to get away from burning cds all the time. Now I'm not quite certain on the routing here. Would I need at least 3 inputs on the sound card if I want to do computer + 2 decks then take an output from the sound card to a single channel in the mixer?

This doesn't sound right at all haha. Entering this newfangled laptop era is scary.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
You just need 2 pairs of audio ins assuming you are planning on using timecode cds. Both traktor and serrato offer bundles with a branded audio interface, the software, the cables and the timecode medium.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
What better place to make a debut than at a bestie's 30th birthday party where everyone is on :lsd:? Probably would have been easier if I had abstained myself, but I wasn't supposed to play anyways, I just dragged my stuff over just in case. It ended up being a lot of fun, because when I work on stuff at home I work with mostly bleepy jams, but the birthday boy in question is a real rockist, and of course you have to play to your audience, so I tried to keep it pretty psych and feel like I did a pretty fair job of it. Plus most everybody there was pretty effusive in their praise, and I even got a few people who were planning on leaving to hang around. There were a couple clumsy transitions, a couple of incompetent moments with the beatmasher, and once when I let a track run out while I was on the porch smoking, but far from the trainwreck I was hoping to avoid. Man, what an amazing feeling. I want to do this forever.

Oh yeah, the set ended up being over five hours. Here's the particulars:

1. Bebey - Gang Gang Dance
2. aggro moderato - Mouse on Mars
3 Seven Daze A Weed - Teams x Ra Cailum
4. Ant 10/Mineral Dub Break (Remix by Altz) - Boredoms
5. Future Echo - The Oscillation
6. Put It Away, Put It Away, Put It Away, Dad - Out Hud
7. Eating Silver Apples - Diplo
8. Circulars - Still Corners
9. After Hours - Caribou
10. Stomach Worm - Stereolab
11. UDA HAH - OOIOO
12. Birds of Paradise (Xander Harris Rmx) - Peaking Lights
13. VHS Sex - Com Truise
14. (Imprismed) - Gang Gang Dance
15. Get Yourself Together - Randomer
16. Bodies in the Dunes - Pop. 1280
17. Hold It Together (Dubvirus Rmx) - Stephan Jacobs
18. Let The Spirit (Hot Chip Rmx) - Roots Manuva
19. The Loop - Can
20. Love - bvdub
21. Oblivion - Grimes
22. Pluto (12" Mix) - Work Drugs
23. Texico Bitches (Star SLinger Rmx) - Broken Social Scene)
24. Punch Drunk Love - Teams vs. Star Slinger
25. Whxt Txrns U Xn? - Teams
26. Seven Daze A Weed - Teams x Ra Cailum [OOPS]
27. Seldom Does It Matter - Ra Cailum
28. Fineshrine - Purity Ring
29. LUV - Giraffage
30. Landscapes - Cooly G
31. At The Edge Of The World - Funki Porcini
[BREAK]
1. Maggot Brain - Funkadelic
2. Paris Pt. Two - The Psychic Paramount
3. Get Low - Sun Araw
4. Dinosaurs - William S. Burroughs
5. Mutant Rock Mumon - Acid Mothers Temple & the Melting Paraiso UFO
6. Time Of Love - Mi Ami
7. It's For You - Out Hud
8. Beverly Kills - Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti
9. Where Did Karen Go? - Gary Wilson
10. L'Elephant - Tom Tom Club
11. It's A Bit Of A Pain - Faust
12. Growing - Headless Horseman
13. Rutti - Slowdive
14. Slow 'N' Wet - Star Slinger
15. Eyes Be Closed (Grimes Rmx) - Washed Out
16. Flightwave - Com Truise
17. Daylight - Thundercat
18. Diamond Ring (Deele flip) - Matthewdavid
19. See Thru to U - Flying Lotus
20. Joy/Fear - XI
21. Cheaters - Teengirl Fantasy
22. Casanova's Jump Off - Star Slinger
23. Vowels = space and time - Grimes
24. When Doves Cry - Prince
25. Comfort Slave - Teams
26. B - Tonstartssbandht
27. Drive - Boy Friend
28. Nightfalls - Expensive Looks
29. City Ghosts - HAHA
30. One Love - Whodini
31. JoJo's Chillin' - Killer Mike
32. Shutterbugg - Big Boi
33. Take Away - Missy Elliott
34. Turiya And Ramakrishna - Alice Coltrane
35. The Mouthchew - Stars of the Lid
36. Baleen Sample - Animal Collective/Vashti Bunyan
37. Luther - Sun Araw

Tom Tom Club's "L'Elephant" and Faust's "It's A Bit of a Pain" is a match made in heaven, BTW. I'll post a mixcloud link once it's done uploading in case anyone is interested (unfortunately, i neglected to start capturing the set until halfway through the Stereolab, but oh well). Thanks for all the tips, you wonderful people, you've helped so much.

e: http://www.mixcloud.com/zack-p/30-going-on/

Volcanic Vents fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 11, 2012

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Professor Latency posted:

I've been thinking about getting an external sound card to use a dvs setup with my cdjs becuase I need to get away from burning cds all the time. Now I'm not quite certain on the routing here. Would I need at least 3 inputs on the sound card if I want to do computer + 2 decks then take an output from the sound card to a single channel in the mixer?

Newish CDJs can also act as midi controllers for timecode without timecode cds/audio ports.

Although this brand new version has a lot fewer midi codes it sends:

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Professor Latency posted:

This doesn't sound right at all haha. Entering this newfangled laptop era is scary.

You want to make sure you get the interface that is compatible with the software you choose.

In the case of Traktor, they bundle them together (interface+software+timecode+cables):

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor-scratch-a10/

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor-scratch-a6/

Serato's software is actually free, so when you buy the hardware+timecode you just download the software:

http://serato.com/scratchlive/hardware

Even though Traktor has been my DVS of choice for many years now, I still keep a copy of Serato installed in case I'm in a situation where everyone else I'm playing with is using it, rather than hooking up a second audio interface.

Aside from some aesthetic differences they are pretty much the same anymore for basic scratch functionality. Where they differ most is in the advanced functionality (looping, effects, remix decks, etc)

Sealcub
Sep 11, 2008
If anyone is trying to get rid of a lower-end controller and/or subwoofer I made a post about buying your stuffs over in SAMart - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506900.

Alternatively, anybody have recommendations for online shops (apart from ebay/craigslist) or perhaps online forum communities that sell used DJ equipment? The area I'm in has a pretty dire selection.

Sealcub fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 14, 2012

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I've been using VirtualDJ to learn and whatnot, and I think now it's time to try out Traktor for a while. I finally configured all the audio routing right last night, and was able to play some tunes. Traktor seems more complex, with a lot more options, so it's going to take me a while to get to the level of comfort I have with virtualDJ, but after reading online for a while, it seems like it's worth the effort.
Now, 1 question: How do you configure Traktor so that the headphone cue automatically switches to a deck you loaded a track on? VirtualDJ did that automatically, and I think it's a good feature. :3:

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Sealcub posted:

If anyone is trying to get rid of a lower-end controller and/or subwoofer I made a post about buying your stuffs over in SAMart - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506900.

Alternatively, anybody have recommendations for online shops (apart from ebay/craigslist) or perhaps online forum communities that sell used DJ equipment? The area I'm in has a pretty dire selection.

zzounds.com sometimes sells used/"blemished"/floor models

I don't know if they are worth it. IIRC they come with fully warrenty and replacement if they fail or something

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Sealcub posted:

For online forums, djforums has a for sale/buying section. For online shops, agiprodj is one of the best. Call them up for the best deal.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
Does anyone on here use BeatsMe? It's a new site, still in beta, but it seems like a really cool idea. While you're using Serato or Traktor it live blogs what songs you're playing. It's kind of like a twitter feed, but it auto-sends the tracks you're playing, and then populates preview and purchase links. The only bummer right now is that Itch doesn't work, only Scratch Live.

http://www.beatsme.fm/playlist/50556af1960dc90200000f9d

I had a few suggestions, and they were super responsive. Try it out, and if you have ideas, write them in! They addressed my issues super quick, and they said they're hoping to implement Itch support for the next client release. Pretty neat stuff!

https://www.beatsme.fm

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Only for Mac? :smith:

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Solus posted:

Only for Mac? :smith:

drat, I guess it is right now. You should write and ask for a PC client!

info@beatsme.fm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I've been trying to use Traktor, but it doesn't seem to be saving the BPM of my tracks. If I load a song, it'll scan and save it, but I want it to scan my whole library, but when I make it analyze either by folder or by selecting a bunch of songs, nothing happens. Am I missing something? :confused: