Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I actually have an honest answer for that "weakness" question, strange as it may be.

"Downtime. I hate downtime. There are two expectations with this whole 'job' agreement, that I'm working to get paid and you're paying me to do work. If I have to sit around twiddling my thumbs for more than a few minutes because the build is messed up or someone's in a meeting or whatever, I will start trying to find ways to be useful, even in other departments. If it's been more than half an hour since I've been able to do work, you probably won't find me at my desk, I'll be off asking my co-workers if there's anything I can help them with. I can do nothing at home much more comfortably, I don't come out here and wear the nice clothes to do nothing."

Edit: The reason I call this a legitimate weakness is that some corporate cultures frown on that sort of initiative, everyone's got their place and should stay there. Other companies are far more flexible, like Gamespy, where depending on the availability of the various publishers (I recall specifically a lot of downtime waiting for THQ and EA) there could be two or three solid hours without clear direction, and so I'd wind up doing odd jobs for the area team, the marketing team, heck, a particularly egregious downtime was responsible for me making the shift over to editorial as a freelancer. But at some companies I've actually had the "So you're going to pay me to sit at my desk and do nothing and this is acceptable." "Yes." discussion, so it's fair warning on my part, I suppose.

GetWellGamers fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Anybody going to siggraph?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's actually a pretty good answer. I find I'm the same way, though not quite as proactive as you are (though granted I've only worked in one job that really had downtime, and it was a heavy corporate environment where everything was strictly scheduled so walking around looking for something to help with just meant I got back to my desk 10 minutes later with tired legs). A lot of people have "workaholic" as their joke answer, but you've phrased it in a way that makes a lot more sense.

It's sort of like "If you don't need me to do anything, I'd rather just be at home. So keep me busy, or let me work from home."

Though bear in mind that while a good answer, it might not be appropriate for everyone. Some people like having a bit of goof-off internet/NetHack time in the office, and those people really shouldn't be saying they want to be busy all the time when they don't actually mean it.

*edit*

And as I see you edited in while I was typing, some companies accept that they just can't keep people busy all the time and will expect you to have downtime, so telling them that downtime bothers you might end up being a negative. Still, that's the point of asking the "weakness" question; they want to ensure that you're a good fit for the company, both your perks AND flaws.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 3, 2011

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Odddzy posted:

''give me two qualities and two bad things about you''?
"Shinies! Is this a collection quest?"

"As long as I'm doing your job for you, why don't you pay me?"

You could also interpret "about" as "around" and pick out two bad things in the room, such as the interviewer and the bottle of Scotch in his desk.

Adraeus fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 3, 2011

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular
By the way, thought I just might add my personal experience to the pile of how I got in. I just finished my first title as Lead Designer on Dungeon Siege 3, previously I was a lead system designer on our Aliens RPG, did a ton of design/scripting on NWN2:SoZ, and was a Producer who did some designey stuff on NWN2 and MotB.

I decided at some point in college that the video game industry seemed like a good fit because 1)I had no idea what I would enjoy that wasn't making games, 2)I found breaking down game systems for what I did/didn't like to be fun, and 3)my mom worked in the entertainment industry so I had some experience with it generally, and I think it was part of what inspired me to get in.

I worked in Activision QA during the summers of my Sophomore and Junior years of college (2003-2004). It was great experience - at the time, Activision QA was actually a pretty good place to work and I was on really good teams for the most part. It was also great to take a look at the "bottom" of the industry just to get context for everything else.

After college I got a job as the first QA Tester at Obsidian, I was the internal QA Lead on NWN2 (I was GetWellGamers' manager at that time, heh. Hey Ryan!), and went on to production from there. Honestly I think the reason I was hired was that 1) I interviewed well and was enthusiastic, and 2) I had actual QA experience at a "real" publisher.

Once I was in QA, moving up and into the position I wanted was mostly a combination of persistence, keeping my eyes and ears open and learning as much as I could, and willingness to try out new things. I was surprised to find that I picked up scripting, and then programming, really quickly - I'd recommend to anyone looking to get into the industry or working on a portfolio to just try new things out that you may not have thought you could do. In my experience they can really pay off.

Also, if you want to be a system designer or gameplay designer of any type, please, please, please develop your critical thinking and analytical skills and start applying them to games. Whenever you see something you do or don't like in a game, think about why you do or don't like it and how you would have done it differently. Try to consider why the decision was made - try to reverse engineer the design logic to see if your potential solution would be any better. Again, being a good designer is a lot more difficult and complex than it seems on the surface - so try to develop those skills before you try to get into design. I don't know that those skills necessarily helped me become a designer, but it's definitely helped me become a *better* one.

djkillingspree fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 3, 2011

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Though bear in mind that while a good answer, it might not be appropriate for everyone. Some people like having a bit of goof-off internet/NetHack time in the office, and those people really shouldn't be saying they want to be busy all the time when they don't actually mean it.

*edit*

And as I see you edited in while I was typing, some companies accept that they just can't keep people busy all the time and will expect you to have downtime, so telling them that downtime bothers you might end up being a negative. Still, that's the point of asking the "weakness" question; they want to ensure that you're a good fit for the company, both your perks AND flaws.

It's not that downtime by its nature bothers me- it's downtime where there's nothing useful to do. Hell, I've gone around and defragged/spybotted unused computers while on downtime, it's not downtime that bothers me it's not being able to do anything productive during it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

djkillingspree posted:

Also, if you want to be a system designer or gameplay designer of any type, please, please, please develop your critical thinking and analytical skills and start applying them to games. Whenever you see something you do or don't like in a game, think about why you do or don't like it and how you would have done it differently. Try to consider why the decision was made - try to reverse engineer the design logic to see if your potential solution would be any better. Again, being a good designer is a lot more difficult and complex than it seems on the surface - so try to develop those skills before you try to get into design. I don't know that those skills necessarily helped me become a designer, but it's definitely helped me become a *better* one.
Also remember that design works best when combined with other designers.

My initial design for a system had some cute bits, but was overall a bit sterile. Then I sat down with my partner, and posed my idea, and he threw back another, and before long we had optionally sticky people running through energizing flower gardens and a whole different take on how powerups could be awarded.

(no, really)

... but for this, you need an actual designer with actual design chops sitting opposite you. It won't work with your friend Bob who loooves games, you need someone else capable of thinking critically about design and suggesting ideas that could potentially work / rejecting ideas that make sense to reject.

EDIT: Though that's less for teaching yourself design, and more for helping to figure out why the designs you build in a silo often seem to be missing something.

EDIT: VV I stay far, far away from community reaction threads to games I was "cog" of, aside from passing along information they might find interesting. For a smaller studio where you have no PR team / where you are the PR team, ok, but for any kind of large project, not a grand idea.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 3, 2011

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Urgh workin' the Brink threads is a harsh mistress. I'm not a PR guy, I don't even need to be there, but I care about our fuckups so much but I'm alone on that quest against a lot of angry internet people. Anyone have such fun?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fishbus posted:

Urgh workin' the Brink threads is a harsh mistress. I'm not a PR guy, I don't even need to be there, but I care about our fuckups so much but I'm alone on that quest against a lot of angry internet people. Anyone have such fun?

I think you're just suffering fatigue from taking your work home with you. It's fine to be passionate about something you've made, but you can't please everyone, and you should focus your energies on fixing the flaws rather than tiring yourself out fighting with the implacable internet. You need time away from whatever you do, even if you love it, to recharge and let you re-examine things in a different light.

Now, bear in mind I'm not a professional game developer or anything, so obviously I'm in no position to tell you what working in the industry is like. But by all accounts, it's draining enough even without having to read all the horrible things the fanbases say. Since you aren't a PR/CM guy, it's really not your job to deal with it, and you probably don't need the extra stress.

Think about which would make you happier - fixing a problem in a game, or convincing someone on the internet that you're working on fixing a problem in a game? For me I think it would be the former - I feel much better if I can produce something that satisfies my OWN high standards, as opposed to trying to satisfy the whims of strangers. You can never convince someone to like something if they just don't like it. Even people that DO like a game seem to like bitching even more. Have you ever read the WoW forums? The biggest complainers are also the people that have had unbroken subscriptions since launch and dozens of max level characters (I do not envy the Blizzard CMs). If someone just has a bad first impression with a game, then no matter what you change in the game, they will probably always dislike it - that bad initial impression will stick with them and colour their perceptions of everything else. You're better off winning over people unfamiliar with the game than you are trying to change people's entrenched opinions.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 3, 2011

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Fishbus posted:

Why yes, the entirety of my career! Despite only being a Very Concerned Developer and not in PR/Community/Marketing, I post a ton on forums and communicate with players, letting them know in painful detail about various game features, our tentative plans, answering their questions, refuting any runaway wrongness, and so on. I've gotten calls at home from people who have stalked me down to chew me out about some very personal injustice they're suffering because of me, but after a bit, it rolls off your back. They spit all sorts of venom, but you learn to ignore it (and you cultivate the other players who will argue with them for you and say the things you're not supposed to). Don't take anything personally (unless it was your system that's causing the rage, then take it personally and learn from it!).

The only time I still freak out at home is when a player gets in touch with me at 4am to let me know of some glaring exploit. Then I trudge into the office, call the red phones, and get the hotfix processes going if it's bad enough or just go back to sleep if it can wait another 8 hours.

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

Fishbus posted:

It's fun to see the praises of something you've worked on, but absolute torture to see the criticisms. I don't think anyone will have fun doing what you're doing, but it's okay to feel passionate but not hopeless. You alone can't fix every gripe but you can always learn more about what some people want. Of course the internet, especially SA is a vocal minority and not the be-all consumer base.

Phantasmal
Jun 6, 2001
Another not professional view, but yeah. Don't engage in internet debate about your game. It doesn't accomplish anything, and it can only make you look bad.

The two big reasons to communicate with the players is to let them know what's changing (and why you think the changes are good) and to solicit feedback. If you're doing the latter, be receptive to their points and engage with the players who will be reasonable no matter how critical they are. Ignore trolls, and if you can, have a person who is not you serve as a moderator to visibly probate anyone blatantly trying to disrupt the dialogue. This is important because you do not want it to look like you are banning people who disagree with you.

Don't discount a person's opinion just because they're being an rear end in a top hat to you. Conversely don't take feedback purely at face value no matter how nice (or ego pumping) the source is. It's tempting to let emotions drive you after a frustrating thread, but very often players will not like something about a game, but be completely wrong about why they don't like it or how it should be fixed. And sometimes the bitter board trolls have a legitimate point wedged between the personal attacks.

And finally, like Cheshire said, all of this is worthless if it's not helping make the game better. If board crawling is distracting you from getting things done just ignore them entirely and let other people do it. If your time on the boards isn't helping you, it's simply not worth the headache.

Phantasmal fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 3, 2011

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think if you're looking for feedback, the best thing you can do if you think someone has a legitimate complaint is to ask for elaboration. Getting them to think about WHY they dislike a particular aspect of a game is going to me much more informative than just having them say THAT they dislike a particular aspect of a game. Even if you disagree with their opinions, don't try to counter them - just mentally make a note of their feedback and move on. Sometimes you might find later on that hey, they actually DID have a good point! I've done this with some of my story arcs in CoH in the past. Comments I initially disagreed with I later ended up putting in the arc because after thinking about it, it really WAS better the way they suggested it.

Plus it's a good anti-troll measure. The best way to defeat trolls is to try to engage them in a conversation that's not an argument.

*edit*
I was just thinking that but couldn't find a good way to phrase it. People caring enough to complain is much better than just having them forget the game. Complaining means they're emotionally invested enough to want to change it.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 3, 2011

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

Fishbus posted:

Oh man, yes.

The best advice, or maybe perspective, I can give for your sanity is that it's honestly better to have people give a poo poo and post angry than not care and say nothing. If they're willing to post about things that bother them at least they care/get them game enough to talk about it. TBQH some of the biggest haters sink the most time into our games, so on some level we've got to be doing something right.

Also: post infrequently, never ever take the bait for an argument, and respond to things that seem like people are genuinely interested in making the game better. Also, where you can, try to pick something that someone says in the forum, fix it, and post about fixing it. That tends to get a lot of goodwill. It will also get complaints from people who ask why you didn't fix <insert pet issue> but you take what you can get.

Also I've found it's sometimes useful to remind people that the opinion of forum communities represents a thin slice of the actual people who bought the game and the silent majority may not actually care about/agree with the same things as that poster. It's not really arguing with them, but just reminding them why you can't fix everything.

Also despite it all I really liked brink so there you go.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Fishbus posted:

Use it as a source of facts and pain points for the player and you'll be fine. The place where I've found I get into trouble is caring too much over specific opinions. Everyone has a different perspective on how they play their game, and you need to serve what's best for the gameplay itself, not what's best for that particular player or group of players.

You also get really used to people telling you you're doing a terrible job and deserve to be fired/are an idiot/would be trivially replaceable with a popular member of the community/are killing the game. The sooner you build up the thick skin and can figure out why they're saying that, the better. :)

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Fishbus posted:

Don't worry Fishbus I still love you. :blush:

don't take it too harshly. people just want a face to yell at.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

I was the producer on a number of terrible games, one nominated for worst game of the year by gamespot (beaten by M%Ms Kart Racing). Don't worry about it. Recognize that their are faults with the game, probably you could have done more, but in the end it's out and it exists and it's not like you yourself are the sole person responsible for how good or bad it is. Try not to take it personally.

Sidenote: pretty excited to have just gotten my first non game job (not that I had any job for the last year and a half). Best of luck to the lot of you.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Splaa posted:

Sidenote: pretty excited to have just gotten my first non game job (not that I had any job for the last year and a half). Best of luck to the lot of you.
Prediction: 1 year from now - "So I'm applying to game industry jobs again, and..."

(seriously though, good luck, and I hope you are happier in non-games landia)

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

going into advertising now, the most noble of careers...

e: also I doubt it, minneapolis is an excellent ad town and a very very bad game town.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Splaa posted:

going into advertising now, the most noble of careers...

e: also I doubt it, minneapolis is an excellent ad town and a very very bad game town.

Good luck dude.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

thanks, I'll probably still pop by to be bitter about video games

Seriously though, I admire your passion, all of you, but for those of you just getting into the biz remember that while it's a demanding job, try not to let it become a lifestyle.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Good luck dude on the other side. Maybe I'll end up in that area too sometime, but until then, best of luck!

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com
Another goondev, Brother Magneto from En Masse, has also made the move from videogames back into a PR firm (or something similar to a PR firm).

Seems it's the new trend. :(

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Job hunt related question here. I found this job offer for a 4 month co-op placement as a Java game developer (which is the kind of thing I'm looking for), but it seems a little iffy since the ad doesn't list the company. Should I apply for it? Does anyone in this thread know the Toronto game development scene and might know what company this is?

If it's on the level it's a good job for me - the location is very close to me and Java is my strongest language, but I don't want to end up getting hired to some scam where I get screwed out of my pay or something.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Job hunt related question here. I found this job offer for a 4 month co-op placement as a Java game developer (which is the kind of thing I'm looking for), but it seems a little iffy since the ad doesn't list the company. Should I apply for it? Does anyone in this thread know the Toronto game development scene and might know what company this is?

If it's on the level it's a good job for me - the location is very close to me and Java is my strongest language, but I don't want to end up getting hired to some scam where I get screwed out of my pay or something.

Nothing springs to mind, but you're not going to lose anything by applying, except maybe a bit of time. You'll probably find out the name of the studio in the process, which will help you get a better idea of what to expect.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

It's kind of crazy how much the game industry has changed in the past few years.

This happened to us, and it's weird how little things will change at the same time they will change a large deal.
http://www.insidemobileapps.com/2011/08/02/glu-mobile-acquires-blammo-griptonite/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I know this question has to have been asked a few times, but what hosting company does everyone use? I'm going to spend the rest of the summer moving stuff off my school site and onto a ~real domain name~. Is HostGator good? I dipped into SA-Mart and was instantly overwhelmed by the amount of people selling hosting services.

I'm also going to try to get around to re-filming all of my projects. As I'm aiming to go for a systems/technical designer role (someone who fiddles around with mechanics / does design through implementation) I should try to make a highlight reel of stuff that looks fun -- basically a 'trailer' for all of my games, right?

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RoboCicero posted:

I know this question has to have been asked a few times, but what hosting company does everyone use? I'm going to spend the rest of the summer moving stuff off my school site and onto a ~real domain name~. Is HostGator good?
Basically, the only web hosting company worth buying from is Rackspace, but you need some experience with Linux or Windows server administration to set up an entry-level server on the Rackspace Cloud. If you need only an online portfolio, go with Carbonmade.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Amazon Web Services. Real cheap. All hail the Hypno-Cloud.

So I called Rockstar today to follow up with my resume and the nice lady at the front desk told me very politely that if I haven't heard from them by now then basically they're not interested. It makes me wonder, one part in this whole "getting a job" thing that I don't like, which is: How do I know what they didn't like? Was it just a lack of having worked on a bigger title before? Or was there something about my resume that I can fix for the next company I sent it to? I know it's prohibitive to reply with feedback to each candidate but the job hunt sure would be a lot easier (and a lot more similar to the game design feedback loop) if I could figure out people's thoughts when they see my resume.

Of course, when I see my own resume I think anybody would be crazy not to hire me, but I suppose I'm a bit biased.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Resume' feedback is about as hard to find as Orihalcium, especially from recruiters or HR people. I managed to find one and just about built a shrine.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Vino posted:

Amazon Web Services. Real cheap. All hail the Hypno-Cloud.

So I called Rockstar today to follow up with my resume and the nice lady at the front desk told me very politely that if I haven't heard from them by now then basically they're not interested. It makes me wonder, one part in this whole "getting a job" thing that I don't like, which is: How do I know what they didn't like? Was it just a lack of having worked on a bigger title before? Or was there something about my resume that I can fix for the next company I sent it to? I know it's prohibitive to reply with feedback to each candidate but the job hunt sure would be a lot easier (and a lot more similar to the game design feedback loop) if I could figure out people's thoughts when they see my resume.

Of course, when I see my own resume I think anybody would be crazy not to hire me, but I suppose I'm a bit biased.

You will never get any info on this if you don't know someone on the other side of the fence.

Generally speaking, if you have some professional experience and are applying for jobs you are qualified for you should be getting callbacks on most of them. If that isn't happening it probably means your portfolio isn't good enough, or your resume doesn't do a good job communicating your skills.

Care to post the materials you submitted and, if you have it, the job posting? There are plenty of people who read this thread who can offer up solid feedback.

Jaytan fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 4, 2011

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Vino posted:

I know it's prohibitive to reply with feedback to each candidate but the job hunt sure would be a lot easier (and a lot more similar to the game design feedback loop) if I could figure out people's thoughts when they see my resume.

It'd be my full-time job if I were to respond to people with why I didn't like their resumes pre-screen. However, if you've gotten yourself a phone-call/interview, and been turned down, you can always ask the interviewers via email (because you did ask for their email at the end of the interview, right?!) for tips to improve next time after you've been turned down, especially if you're trying to break-in. As long as you make it clear you're not trying to change their mind or otherwise angle for a job and just want to improve on your own, I find that I'm pretty willing to share feedback with someone after the fact.

Like Jaytan said above, go ahead and strip your personal details out of your resume and post it/the cover letter and the job you were applying for and people will probably give you a pretty good read on why you didn't get a call back.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

RoboCicero posted:

I know this question has to have been asked a few times, but what hosting company does everyone use? I'm going to spend the rest of the summer moving stuff off my school site and onto a ~real domain name~. Is HostGator good? I dipped into SA-Mart and was instantly overwhelmed by the amount of people selling hosting services.

I'm also going to try to get around to re-filming all of my projects. As I'm aiming to go for a systems/technical designer role (someone who fiddles around with mechanics / does design through implementation) I should try to make a highlight reel of stuff that looks fun -- basically a 'trailer' for all of my games, right?
If your primary focus is on absolute up-time, no interruptions, I really like http://www.apisnetworks.com - if on the other hand you're willing to trade some uptime for unlimited storage space, look at http://www.dreamhost.com/.

DreamHost also lets you run an SVN server through them, if you're attached to that style of source control. (Personally, I waaaay prefer Mercurial + Bitbucket.org these days)

EDIT: Ok, Patcher really does make a lot of good points here, but does anyone honestly believe that you're going to make $500k+ for a couple of years of work as a rank-and-file developer on a big project? Does that happen? Ever? Even on the big name titles, even for Valve employees?

Maybe I just have friends in a lot of second-string studios, but we've always looked at the profit sharing plans as being a huge laugh. LEGO's a bit different by virtue of being a big company, they DO pay bonuses, but even so, we're talking 30% of your salary or whatever, not $500k. To me, to make that kind of personal profit, you have to be one of the founding members of a studio... but maybe that isn't actually the case?

EDIT: VV I bought a brand-new Subaru Outback Sport as soon as I was hired on by LEGO... because I knew I could handle the payments no sweat. Unless s/he bought it cash?

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 4, 2011

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Shalinor posted:

Maybe I just have friends in a lot of second-string studios, but we've always looked at the profit sharing plans as being a huge laugh. LEGO's a bit different by virtue of being a big company, they DO pay bonuses, but even so, we're talking 30% of your salary or whatever, not $500k. To me, to make that kind of personal profit, you have to be one of the founding members of a studio... but maybe that isn't actually the case?

Anecdotal, but someone doing QA on World of Warcraft brought a Lexus SUV brand new in 2005 :)

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ladies and gents!

In the past couple of months I have benevolently given jobs to 2.5 goons, but The Beast at DNA Dynamics still craves for fresh meat, and the boys in the lab of DNA Interactive need new test subjects.

We have heard that the tastiest and most useful for the experiments are Flash developers, preferably those with experience of developing and deploying Facebook games. You'd be working on a high quality DnD-esque thing with swords and spells and all that poo poo. To begin with.

We're located in the heart of the games community of the Midlands, Royal Leamington Spa. It's so great the queen made it all Royal and poo poo. We're a very laid back sort of place; I'm sure snafuAl and Aliginge can attest to that. We've already grown at a fair clip and goddamnit we just keep on expanding because people want to work here. You get a lot of responsibility and autonomy in a pretty awesome way. But it wasn't like that when I started here three years ago! I had to make a bloody applause generator as my first project. These new guys were given entire freaking games to make by themselves, and they love it.

No industry experience is necessary, just the ability to make cool poo poo (and prove it!) Since it's worked out pretty well for us in the past you'd probably get a week-long trial because interviews are a stupid way to find out how somebody works.

So get in touch! I'll probably get in trouble if nobody does. And I just became senior so they'll probably take that away. Goddamnit.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

I've known a fair number of people at the non-executive level that have gotten 6 figure yearly bonuses, but it's rare, but I've never heard of any yearly bonuses approaching 500k (at the staff-level).

Maybe this'll be the year though, if I just buckle down and work harder!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

devilmouse posted:

I've known a fair number of people at the non-executive level that have gotten 6 figure yearly bonuses, but it's rare, but I've never heard of any yearly bonuses approaching 500k (at the staff-level).

Maybe this'll be the year though, if I just buckle down and work harder!
This wouldn't be yearly bonuses - what Patcher was referencing was title ship bonuses / royalties. I only mentioned my yearly bonus because it's the only bonus program most of us here have even seen actually pay out.

EDIT: VVV "I don't have a lot of respect [for people that complain about not being paid enough]. If you want overtime, go make automobiles, and [your company will be shut down eventually and you'll all be laid off]. [...] If you want the opportunity to make maybe a half million, a million bucks a year, be good at game development and you have a real shot at making a lot of money."

The last sentence is precise wording, the previous sentences are cobbling together what he said over 5 minutes or so prior to that.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 4, 2011

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Shalinor posted:

This wouldn't be yearly bonuses - what Patcher was referencing was title ship bonuses / royalties. I only mentioned my yearly bonus because it's the only bonus program most of us here have even seen actually pay out.

Since I can't watch that video (bandwidth issues) -- Pach is suggesting that 6-figure bonii are anything other than an extreme rarity? I mean, he can be divorced from reality but drat. In my experience a typical bonus comes in the form of cash + options, with the ratio and amount varying on position and the studio's corporate makeup.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
Well this sure looks like the announcement my Riot contact gave me the heads-up about

This is nice for me in that now I have a better topic to E-mail him about next week, as well as a definite milestone for when he should be done with this crunch-time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

RoboCicero posted:

I'd stay away from shared hosting unless you can't afford cloud/VPS.

I use VPS.net's virtual node service, but they also offer cloud.

Amazon offers cloud too, a little expensive though depending on traffic and uptime.

There's other good sites like VPS.net, such as Linode, but you need some Linux server admin skills to get everything working right. If you have those, like I do, having your own VPS is so much fun it's not even funny. I can do anything I want with one $20 a month node. Absolutely silly download and upload speeds.