Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

7 of 17 of these are true for me:
http://www.foodrepublic.com/2013/07/01/17-signs-youre-cocktail-snob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

You could try a Pete's word:

0.75 oz each of Laphroaig, Green Chartreuse, Lime and Maraschino

I bet you could also make a tasty modified version of a Greenpoint but sub out some of the rye with Laphroaig, and green Chartreuse for the yellow.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

rxcowboy posted:

3: I like G&T and Mojitors, so what would another good summer cocktail be? To me, neither cocktail is too sweet or too heavy, they are both light and refreshing. And very easy to drink in Maryland's god awful humid summers.

Pretty much liking the same as you, I'd like to share a cocktail I discovered this week (fell in love with it, as it tastes great, and is rather easy on the alcohol, so its great for warm weekday nights as well)

- white port
- tonic
- mint
- lime (or lemon)
- a shitload of ice

discovered it in some weird cafe, but discovered this apparently is "a thing"...it's called portonic.

As much as the name sucks, it made me buy an icecrusher!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
So, I have some Boston Bittahs, a bottle of vanilla Bitters, a bottle of Pear bitters, and a bottle of DSB(?) bitters.

I'm thinking of making a fourth regiment, using the boston in place of the orange, the pear in place of the celery, and either using the DSB or the vanilla. Not sure which. Thoughts?

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Kenning posted:

You have two choices when using Laphroig. Either you can use it as an accent flavor (measured in dashes or maybe 1/4 oz), or you can use a heftier pour and then deploy vodka in its only legitimate place in classic mixology – to mellow out strong flavors without diluting a drink. As for particulars, I can't offer anything right now, except to observe that you'll probably also want to look at sweet vermouth, perhaps Dubonnet Rouge, and lemon. And consider making a fizz – the soda water adds interest while smoothing out flavors, such as in the Morning Glory Fizz (which is Scotch, lemon, sugar, absinthe, and bitters, plus an egg and some soda).

Yeah I'm more of the "mostly Laphroaig with a slight accent" approach when mixing with it. I really enjoyed a drink I had once that was Laphroaig, honey, and ginger syrup with a few pieces of crystallized ginger as garnish. Don't know what the amounts were, but it was clear that the scotch was the dominant ingredient. Of course, just to contradict myself, I also had a drink that was bourbon, tequila, old fashioned bitters, and laphroaig. That green CSM looks good. I'll give it a shot, thanks. Probably gonna have to come up with a new name because I also definitely do the "if there's no gin it's not a martini" thing.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I haven't seen a Gin thread in GWS/C, so I'm going to ask you guys.

What are some good gins?
I've had Bombay, Hendricks, Aviator, and I just got a bottle of Smooth Ambler. I thought Hendricks was too botanical, but still good, and I loved Aviator. Bombay was decent. I'm sure I've had whatever well there is too, but I didn't ask the name.

I usually just have it with Club Soda and a lime.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

LTBS posted:

What are some good gins?
I've had Bombay, Hendricks, Aviator, and I just got a bottle of Smooth Ambler. I thought Hendricks was too botanical, but still good, and I loved Aviator. Bombay was decent. I'm sure I've had whatever well there is too, but I didn't ask the name.

Have you tried Plymouth?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

LTBS posted:

What are some good gins?

I like Broker's and Citadelle best.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Personally, I'm a fan of Loyalist(which is only availible in Ontario I think) and Bombay Sapphire. However, I won't say no to tanqueray 10.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

My go-tos for Martinis are usually Junipero or Beefeaters; New Amsterdam when I'm broke or for G&Ts as the pronounced citrus is more welcome in that drink.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

St. George's Terroir is, as I've said before, the finest gin I've tasted. It's truly incredible. Otherwise I like Boodles for the citrusy aspect and Anchor Junipero for a nice robust juniper profile. My workhorse gin is Bombay original. Tanqueray Malacca is really quite nice, but I've only had it once.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Gin? Bluecoat is my current fav.

I made a Bitter Mai Tai last night, and god drat was it good.

1.5oz Campari
.75oz Jamaican rum
1oz lime juice
.75oz orgeat
.5oz orange liqueur

Shake/cracked ice double old fashioned/mint sprig

Bitter, tight, refreshing. It went down so fast, so good. Any size ice you like would work, just fill the glass.

--

I got a great homemade orgeat recipe not too long ago.

32oz unsweetened almond milk
64oz sugar
.5oz orange flower water
.75oz almond extract
1oz Amaretto

Combine cold. It helps if you add the sugar in small batches. Obviously, this makes a lot of orgeat, so scale down as needed.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Kenning posted:

St. George's Terroir is, as I've said before, the finest gin I've tasted. It's truly incredible. Otherwise I like Boodles for the citrusy aspect and Anchor Junipero for a nice robust juniper profile. My workhorse gin is Bombay original. Tanqueray Malacca is really quite nice, but I've only had it once.

Oh, I just got some of this as a b-day gift. I love the piney-ness of its Mt. Tam flavor. Any standout cocktails you'd recommend? I've only made a last word with it so far because that's what I was thirsty for but the chartreuse's billion botanicals tend to cover up the pine. I'm thinking simpler is the way to go here.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I just usually mix a 4:1 martini with Vya extra dry and a dash of orange bitters, finished with a twist. And I also just sip the stuff.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
I'm trying to delve deeper into egg white cocktails. Any ideas?

My favorite so far is an egg white, Overproof Bourbon, Grenadine, Lemon and Cointreau.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Duey posted:

My favorite so far is an egg white, Overproof Bourbon, Grenadine, Lemon and Cointreau.

The Clover Club is pretty baller.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
My favorite gin so far is Martin Miller's. I also love Citadelle, especially for its cheaper price point. Tanqueray is probably my go to - hard to beat $25 a handle at Costco. Junipero is amazing, very much so if you want more juniper out of your gin. My place of work makes a take on the vesper with that, Hophead vodka, a splash of Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur (maybe lillet blanc also? I should really know that), and a candied ginger peel + cracked pepper garnish. So refreshing. For Bombay, I prefer the Sapphire East blend. I was also very satisfied with Beefeater 24 compared to the regular. And that's my Year of Gin in a nutshell.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Duey posted:

The only drink I can think of which unequivocally requires an egg white is a Pisco Sour. Other than a Ramos Gin Fizz of course, but that's its own beast.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Duey posted:

I'm a big fan of egg white whiskey sours. Throw a couple dashes of bitters on top after straining into a glass.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Duey posted:

I made this, it's pretty rad:
Raspberry Beret - 1.5oz gin .75oz lemon .5oz simple .25oz Chambord egg white ~3 raspberries. Muddle/shake/coupe/raspberry garnish.

Others, not mine:
Luxardo Sour - 1.25oz amaretto, 1oz rye, 1oz lemon, .75 Angostura bitters, egg white. Shake/iced double old fashioned/lemon peel
Aperol Fizz - 2oz Aperol, 1oz lemon juice, .5oz simple syrup, 1 egg white. Shake/Rocks/Top with seltzer/grapefruit peel garnish
Angostura Sour - 1.5oz Angostura bitters, 1oz simple syrup, .75oz lime juice, 1 egg white. Shake/coupe
Alaskan Sour - 1.5oz Hendrick's gin, .75oz Yellow Chartreuse, .5oz lemon juice, .5oz simple syrup, egg white, 2 dashes orange bitters
Original Pink Lady - 1 1/2 oz gin, 1/2oz applejack, 1/2oz lemon juice, egg white, 2 dashes grenadine
Clover Club - 1 1/2oz gin, 3/4oz simple syrup, 3/4oz lemon juice, 1/2 tsp grenadine, egg white

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

LTBS posted:

What are some good gins?

Leaving out the small batch, niche producers:

Martin Millers (particularly the Westbourne) > Hendricks > Tanq 10 > Bombay Saphire > everything

Among the more nichey ones I've tried lately:
Aviation is great, but $80 a bottle here
The Botanist makes awesome g&ts
Breucklelen 'Glorious Gin' is smooth but a bit too fruity for me
Citadelle Reserve was light and nicely complex, perfect for drinking straight, but out of my price range for gin.
Great Southern Distillery was blergh
#209 was too heavy on the liquorice for me

Also, if you want a bit of a change, try a genever. The Bols Very Old in particular - it's awesome. If you thought Hendricks was too botanical, though, it probably won't be your thing.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 15, 2013

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
What's the best way to turn a dessert wine into a cocktail? My dad brought home a bottle of raspberry, and I haven't a clue what to do with it. Other than drizzle over ice cream or mix with sparkling wine. Am I on the right track with either of those ideas?

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

Canadian Bakin posted:

What's the best way to turn a dessert wine into a cocktail? My dad brought home a bottle of raspberry, and I haven't a clue what to do with it. Other than drizzle over ice cream or mix with sparkling wine. Am I on the right track with either of those ideas?

Start by working it into Negroni-type drinks as a placeholder for vermouth; pair it with an aggressively bitter amaro and/or a higher proof spirit, perhaps adding Angostura/Peychauds/etc, and adjust proportions accordingly. That should be a good starter on how the wine functions with other ingredients, and you can move on to working it in with things like citrus and fruit.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

joelcamefalling posted:

Leaving out the small batch, niche producers:

Martin Millers (particularly the Westbourne) > Hendricks > Tanq 10 > Bombay Saphire > everything

Among the more nichey ones I've tried lately:
Aviation is great, but $80 a bottle here
The Botanist makes awesome g&ts
Breucklelen 'Glorious Gin' is smooth but a bit too fruity for me
Citadelle Reserve was light and nicely complex, perfect for drinking straight, but out of my price range for gin.
Great Southern Distillery was blergh
#209 was too heavy on the liquorice for me

Also, if you want a bit of a change, try a genever. The Bols Very Old in particular - it's awesome. If you thought Hendricks was too botanical, though, it probably won't be your thing.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Aviation is around $30/750mL here so it's quite affordable and might be my go to if I want great tasting gin.
I still haven't tried the Smooth Ambler that I picked up, but I should be rectifying that soon. For some odd reason, Broker's is difficult to find at most of the liquor stores here, but I've got two places that carry it that I haven't been to yet. I believe it runs about $30/1.75L

I probably shouldn't have said that Hendricks was too botanical. I enjoyed it a lot. It's just that it's more botanical than everything else I had had at that point.

Now to try to find some cocktails that don't have any sugar in them, or bourbon.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Alright. I got me some rum, some fresh lemons, and a urge to make a drink with em.

Would say, chilled black tea, a dash of simple syrup, a dash of rum and lemon juice work?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Alright. I got me some rum, some fresh lemons, and a urge to make a drink with em.

Would say, chilled black tea, a dash of simple syrup, a dash of rum and lemon juice work?

A thousand times yes. Careful with the ice if your tea was brewed to regular strength, so you don't dilute the drink too much. Make it a long dash of rum, maybe 3 parts rum to 1.5 lemon and .5 syrup, adjusting the sugar up until everything blends.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah that's an uber-classic punch combination. Make sure to top it with some fresh-grated nutmeg!

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Bourbon Festival in my city this weekend! $30 for unlimited samples, free bourbon base cocktails too.
http://whiskyfestival.jp/index.php/event-0/6099

edit: By the way, trip report on those barrel-aged cocktails I posted a few pages back coming soon. Any ideas what I should do next?

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 17, 2013

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Canadian Bakin posted:

I usually turn to dry wines, but you may be able to layer it in some cocktails like a manhattan sour.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I came up with a recipe tonight that was inspired by the 'Naughty Sundress' that I had at Bourbon and Branch in SF. I'm pretty happy with it, but I think I will keep messing with it and see if it gets better. An absinthe rinse could be interesting at the risk of possibly overpowering the Lillet and bitters, but it works in a Corpse Reviver #2 so who knows?

2 oz Plymouth Gin
1 oz Lillet Blonde
0.25 oz St. Germaine
3 dashes peach bitters

Lightly muddle 4 basil leaves, stir/strain/coupe

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

bunnyofdoom posted:

If you have orgeat, try this:

http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/waikikian/

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

So I'm planning to whip up a simple punch tomorrow for a work-related happy hour. I found this recipe from David Wondrich and wanted to run it by some of the experts here to make sure it will come out palatable. I've never made a punch before so I don't know how to eyeball this recipe.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-men/new-gins-2012-9716607

I'm planning to do (scaled up):
Peels from 7 lemons
1.75 cup cane sugar
Muddle and let sit for 3 hours
1.75 cup lemon juice
1.75 L Tanqueray gin
2.75 L club soda
4 oz Grand Marnier, maybe some Chartreuse or Maraschino for a light herbal note

I've started 2 giant 1 L ice cubes for the bowls, does everything else look alright though?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That recipe sounds pretty good (I implicitly trust Wondrich), and sounds like something between Limmer's Club and Gowanus Club, both of which are fine, affordable, popular tipples.

I may be missing something, but how is this anything, essentially, other than a Mai Tai that's blended instead of shaken, using lemon juice instead of lime?

Kenning fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 26, 2013

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Kenning posted:

That recipe sounds pretty good (I implicitly trust Wondrich), and sounds like something between Limmer's Club and Gowanus Club, both of which are fine, affordable, popular tipples.

With Kenning's blessing the punch is in progress. Photos to follow after imbibing is complete.

edit: woo! http://imgur.com/a/j52aL

The Hebug fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 27, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I love when people make punch. Makes me so proud.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

The local theater is showing 'Hey Bartender', a documentary that follows one of the apprentices at Employees Only in NY, and has commentary from Dale Degroff, Audrey Saunders, David Wondrich and a lot of the other big names in high end cocktailing. It was fun to watch and gave me some insight on what actually happens at Tales of the Cocktail. If it's showing near your place I recommend seeing it.

As a side note, I made a Lion's Tail tonight and enjoyed it a lot.

2 oz rye
1/2 oz St Elizabeth Allspice Dram
1/2 oz lime juice
1 tsp simple syrup
shake/strain/coupe

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I serve at a restaurant in Oakland. Today the bartender criticized my citrus peeling technique. I wanted to tell him that I have peeled hundreds upon hundreds of lemons, limes, and etc. for punch, but the moment just didn't happen. Alas.

Seriously, I suspect I have peeled at least 2000 lemons in the last 3 years.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
There is a right way and a wrong way to cut and zest. Then there is my way.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Outline your technique in detail so I can go over it with a fine tooth comb as my finger hovers over the ignore button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Any repetitive task breeds tiny perfectionism.