Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

Awesome, thanks! Thought I'd read somewhere that it's a moving installation and is in Stockholm now or something.

There are multiple statues. Most permanent, but at least one moves around. The Tokyo one is permanent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

peanut posted:

... how much can tourists see around Abashiri Prison?

Edit: I see that it's just a museum now. Enjoy the ice!

Apparently it's a still a real prison but yes the historical one is now just a museum.

Also a different page on that same website is pretty :frogon:: http://keimusho.net/girl.html

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 17, 2016

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

zmcnulty posted:

Abashiri and Shiretoko in February, anyone have recommendations? So far we are looking at:

Despite winter weather, I'd probably say it's still fine to drive in that area. But you know just as well as I do lol. Otherwise I cant give that much input as we were there in fall instead

The area up to Goko is closed in the winter, but I think they have snow shoeing there. Abashiri prison is worth it. Eat as much Hokke as you possibly can.

We stayed at the following minshuku while there and both were very solid.

お宿来羅玖
あら鷲

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

Also a different page on that same website is pretty :frogon:: http://keimusho.net/girl.html

We'll that was very detailed :magical:

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The abashiri prison goes into very big detail about what the new prison looks like and how the conditions are very humane and things.

;_;

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

peanut posted:

If you want to know more about small town Japan, Yakuza 6 is set in Onomichi and the downtown area is crazy authentic Seto Inland Sea working class town. All it needs is more olds and yuru-chara in a stupid costume.

With 0 and Kiwami coming out next year we can pray 6 also gets an English version.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Zero was amazing but Kiwami flopped hth and lol if you don't play it in the original Japanese

We got to the camgirl minigame last night :roflolmao: officially sponsored by DMM.com

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
english 6 was already announced.

But tbh I don't think they can get the feel of Onomichi right in English. Game was good.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Non-suica buses in Kanazawa are just on cash fare, I assume?

Also does anyone have any general tips for navigating the whole google-translate baton pass thing to work out purchases through a language barrier with a minimum of awkwardness? I'm specifically wanting to go to Shigeharu for some of that good good kyohamono :q:

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Non-suica buses in Kanazawa are just on cash fare, I assume?

Also does anyone have any general tips for navigating the whole google-translate baton pass thing to work out purchases through a language barrier with a minimum of awkwardness? I'm specifically wanting to go to Shigeharu for some of that good good kyohamono :q:

The bus I used in Kanazawa didn't work with my Passmo card, but they did accept cash. You need exact fare, but there is a change machine at the front of the bus. You grab a ticket with a number once you board at the center of the bus. At the front of the bus, you'll see a board with the fare for your ticket number. It'll get higher the further you go. Drop the ticket and the cash in the small box next to the bus driver as you leave.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Does anyone happen to know the opening hours for that "Warehouse" arcade in Kawasaki and if it'll likely be closed on the evening of Christmas Day? I know Japan doesn't really do Christmas but just want to check before I make the trip.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

Does anyone happen to know the opening hours for that "Warehouse" arcade in Kawasaki and if it'll likely be closed on the evening of Christmas Day? I know Japan doesn't really do Christmas but just want to check before I make the trip.

It's open until 23:45 every day, including Christmas (which is just a normal Sunday in Japan).

EDIT: The arcade part is open until 23:45. The building itself appears to be 24 hours (for darts and the internet cafe).

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 19, 2016

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

DiscoJ posted:

It's open until 23:45 every day, including Christmas (which is just a normal Sunday in Japan).

EDIT: The arcade part is open until 23:45. The building itself appears to be 24 hours (for darts and the internet cafe).
Perfect, thanks!

Other than how to reserve a fukubukuro I think my trip is more or less all sorted - excited!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Traditionally it was a discounted grab bag of leftover merchandise. I estimate a 1:5 nice:meh ratio.
Reservable fukubukuro are usually a fixed set of items, I suppose you could reserve in-store up until New Year's Eve (except didn't you say Shibuya 109? RIP)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

How's NOVA to work for these days? I know they imploded back in 2007 and they probably aren't the highest paying or most flexible, but they look like they make getting a foothold in Japan pretty easy with regards to visa stuff and finding housing.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I worked there 2005-2007...

+ Not terrible for right out of college
+ Visa support
+ Textbooks are easy to use
+ Most suburban-rural branches closed so you're likely to be placed in a decent city
+ Immediate support circle of coworkers
+ shift swaps to build time off for a vacation outside of peak travel days

- Company-leased apartments were expensive compared to renting directly (but fwiw renting directly is an expensive hassle)
- The students who came the most were the boring ones and the cool ones didn't come so often. This is true for most eikaiwa though. Half of my coworkers, including myself, married students.
- You're not allowed to hang out with students outside of work.
- Kids lessons... this is a minus for most people. I actually worked at a kindergarten after Nova and I'm still teaching at kindergarten ten years later (!)
- Open on National Holidays (is this still true?) and during local festivals

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

peanut posted:

Half of my coworkers, including myself, married students.
- You're not allowed to hang out with students outside of work.

So how did that happen, then?

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Osmosis

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ひ ★ み ★ つ :wink:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Spent the last week and a bit at a hotel in shinagawa seaside - the hearton whatever. It was incredibly well priced and very nice, much better than what I was expecting. I think it's a 3*. Location is fantastic as it's right across from a train station.

Spent all of today getting out to and exploring the Nippara limestone caves out by Oku-tama, it was absolutely worth the visit. I was surprised when there isn't even a tour guide you just go in and check it out yourself, has some huge chasms of space inside the mountain and it was a beautiful train ride past Ōme to get out there. You take a 30min bus ride from the station to the caves.

Any recommendation for another rural village/area to explore? Tomorrow is my last full day here on this trip.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

peanut posted:

Traditionally it was a discounted grab bag of leftover merchandise. I estimate a 1:5 nice:meh ratio.
Reservable fukubukuro are usually a fixed set of items, I suppose you could reserve in-store up until New Year's Eve (except didn't you say Shibuya 109? RIP)
Guessing 109 Men's is not a good place to just show up on NYE and get a reservation then :v:

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hi is there a particular reason to visit Kochi as opposed to the other three prefectures of Shikoku.

I'm visiting the other three but Kochi is kind of sad and lonely right now and its mascot is trying to impress me but has downs.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Hey guys, I'm planning a Japan trip for the tail end of March into April (3/25 to 4/8) with a buddy of mine. I've gotten some advice from another friend who went last year and I just wanted to make sure what i'm planning isn't missing anything in particular. I know that its the cherry blossom season, so hopefully i'll be able to see that as well.

Tokyo - 3 days to check out various areas within tokyo itself.

day trip to yokohama for the noodle museums

day trip to kamakura (will we be able to go on the hiking trails at the time?)

day trip to hakone to see mount fuji (currently no onsen here, planning on going to Arima onsen)

Kyoto - 2 days to check out Kyoto itself

day trip to Hiroshima (will one day be enough to see both the memorial park and the miyajima torii?)

day trip to Nagoya for the planetarium (Critical Hit is still worth going to I presume?)

day trip to Osaka

a day at Arima onsen(? can this be a day trip or should we spend the night there?)

last day going back to Tokyo and going back to real life.

Anywhere in particular that I'm missing? I haven't done the math but I presume that getting the JR pass will be the right move here.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Argona posted:

Hey guys, I'm planning a Japan trip for the tail end of March into April (3/25 to 4/8) with a buddy of mine. I've gotten some advice from another friend who went last year and I just wanted to make sure what i'm planning isn't missing anything in particular. I know that its the cherry blossom season, so hopefully i'll be able to see that as well.

Tokyo - 3 days to check out various areas within tokyo itself.

day trip to kamakura (will we be able to go on the hiking trails at the time?)

day trip to hakone to see mount fuji (currently no onsen here, planning on going to Arima onsen)

Kyoto - 2 days to check out Kyoto itself

day trip to Hiroshima (will one day be enough to see both the memorial park and the miyajima torii?)

day trip to Nagoya for the planetarium (Critical Hit is still worth going to I presume?)

day trip to Osaka

a day at Arima onsen(? can this be a day trip or should we spend the night there?)

last day going back to Tokyo and going back to real life.

Anywhere in particular that I'm missing? I haven't done the math but I presume that getting the JR pass will be the right move here.

that's really rushed, including the day trips Hakone and Kamakura if you're planning on hiking (without staying a day at each). They are both doable in one day, and I've done both separately before, but doing multiple day trips in a day may become tiring, especially since you are going to Kyoto on the next day right after.

Hiroshima: one day is probably not enough to see both at a relaxing pace. One night plus some time the next morning would probably be enough, if those are the only two things you want to see.

Arima onsen: if you havent stayed at an onsen before, stay the night there.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

ntan1 posted:

Hi is there a particular reason to visit Kochi as opposed to the other three prefectures of Shikoku.

I'm visiting the other three but Kochi is kind of sad and lonely right now and its mascot is trying to impress me but has downs.

It has 16 of the 88 temples if that's your thing :shrug:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It really depends on the season. Yosakoi festival (August) is awesome but you'll probably be underwhelmed by downtown, Katsura-hama or Yet Another Castle.

Happy Raft is just barely in Kochi so it counts.

What are your plans for Ehime, Kagawa and Tokushima?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Matsuyama, Dogo Onsen, Shimanami Kaido, Iya Valley, possibly along the coast around Naruto, Kotohira, and Takamatsu. In fall so not as many festivals (because gently caress humid weather).

Preference for Onsen, of which we will hit a poo poo ton in Kyushu, and a couple in Shikoku. And yeah, I've been to so many downtowns/castles that yet another one probably isn't special.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Argona posted:

Whoa what, museums plural? There's more than the cup noodle one? I wasn't planning to visit Yokohama, what is there to see? I only hear about the cup noodle museum and the Chinatown. I get plenty of Chinatown every day but noodles are cool.

Is there any of the old 19th century foreign trade stuff left?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
There are a few things left in Motomachi, but a lot of it is no longer there.

Yokohama has a lot for people living in Tokyo, and I went there quite a few times and enjoyed it while living in Kanagawa, but Tokyo really does overshadow it for tourists.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Cleanest tidiest china town ever.

And the ramen museum isn't that great.

If you are going to hike along kamakura then skip hakone. The volcano is closed and the prices are higher . Better off going somewhere else

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

Whoa what, museums plural? There's more than the cup noodle one?

There's a ramen museum near Shin-Yokohama station, though it stretches the meaning of the word "museum". It's essentially a couple of ramen shops from around the country/world in a single building, and there's very little in the way of actual exhibitions. The interior of the building is dressed up as a mid-20th century Japanese town, which is pretty neat. Basically, it's a nice place if you're hungry for ramen and happen to be at Shin-Yokohama, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Araki posted:

There's a ramen museum near Shin-Yokohama station, though it stretches the meaning of the word "museum". It's essentially a couple of ramen shops from around the country/world in a single building, and there's very little in the way of actual exhibitions. The interior of the building is dressed up as a mid-20th century Japanese town, which is pretty neat. Basically, it's a nice place if you're hungry for ramen and happen to be at Shin-Yokohama, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

I stayed next to the Shin-Yokohama station on my last trip and while it isn't much in the way of a museum entrance fee was only 200 yen and they had some nice noodles. But yeah, definitely not worth the visit unless you are already in the area for something else.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

'Maya' restaurant, Nepalese place near gotando station, is legendary. Get a dinner set (131) for ¥1,700 and pm me after.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I just did Hiroshima in July and I'd strongly recommend two days there if you want to do both the park/museum and Miyajima. Dedicating a whole day to Miyajima will also give you the chance to see it during both high and low tides.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ntan1 posted:

Matsuyama, Dogo Onsen, Shimanami Kaido, Iya Valley, possibly along the coast around Naruto, Kotohira, and Takamatsu. In fall so not as many festivals (because gently caress humid weather).

Preference for Onsen, of which we will hit a poo poo ton in Kyushu, and a couple in Shikoku. And yeah, I've been to so many downtowns/castles that yet another one probably isn't special.

Did you say November? Ehime and Kagawa have crazy good festivals in early-mid October.
The Naruto whirlpools are pretty cool... if you get there in the right season and time of day. The condition of the tides makes it vary from a proper whirlpool to just a choppy pool of water. Walking on the path under the big bridge to get there is cool. I didn't do a boat tour because we happened to get there at a poor window of time for tides.
Shikoku doesn't have many onsen because it's the least volcanic of the four main islands, but Iya has some fantastic water. We also have a favorite ryokan out on Shimanami Kaido that serves crazy good dinner and has modern rooms.
Kotohira is kawaii. Kagawa is mostly an udon wasteland so keep your destinations close together.
My town has MINETOPIA! and TONARU, the Machu Picchu of the EAST! ... ... ...

Basically please PM me and join goon chat :nyan:

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

peanut posted:

We also have a favorite ryokan out on Shimanami Kaido that serves crazy good dinner and has modern rooms.

Deets plz

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nagoma on Ohshima, Imabari, Ehime. 1man per person including two huge fantastic meals. You need a car to get there, or they have a shuttle bus that will pick you up from the ferry port.
http://www.gambo-ad.com/hotel/index.php?ar=2&id=42

Sennenmatsu is nearby. It is older and more famous and bigger and more expensive.
http://www.sennenmatu.jp/ryokin/ryokin.htm

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Whoa thanks for posting that. I'm in planning mode and that seems super good.

Also, if you're planning on visiting in March/April, get all of your hotels/Airbnbs sorted out within the next 3 weeks or so. This past year, first week of February, and all of the incredibly nice places started to get booked up.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ntan1 posted:

There's an amazing onsen in the iya valley that's right by the side of a river, I can't remember the name offhand but will look it up. Kochi has a few nice onsen, too, if you do make it there. Kure has Kuroshiohonjin, which overlooks the ocean and is really nice. It's also near Tengu Kogen, a mountain lookout point near the headwaters of the Shimanto river. Actually that whole mountain area is beautiful. There are the two capes, Muroto and Ashizuri, which are really lovely and worth the visit but a lot of driving to get to. In Kagawa there is the Shionoe onsen town in the south of Takamatsu. My favorite "hidden" onsen, Sanuki Onsen, is off the main road a bit but really nice with great outdoor baths.

As a long-time resident I don't think there's much in Takamatsu worth visiting other than Ritsurin park, but you can always check out this blog, hilariously badly written by a local expat, for ideas, and I have to say he does come up with some interesting stuff: http://www.art-takamatsu.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

peanut posted:

Nagoma on Ohshima, Imabari, Ehime. 1man per person including two huge fantastic meals. You need a car to get there, or they have a shuttle bus that will pick you up from the ferry port.
http://www.gambo-ad.com/hotel/index.php?ar=2&id=42

tyty.

LyonsLions posted:

There's an amazing onsen in the iya valley that's right by the side of a river, I can't remember the name offhand but will look it up. Kochi has a few nice onsen, too, if you do make it there. Kure has Kuroshiohonjin, which overlooks the ocean and is really nice. It's also near Tengu Kogen, a mountain lookout point near the headwaters of the Shimanto river. Actually that whole mountain area is beautiful. There are the two capes, Muroto and Ashizuri, which are really lovely and worth the visit but a lot of driving to get to. In Kagawa there is the Shionoe onsen town in the south of Takamatsu. My favorite "hidden" onsen, Sanuki Onsen, is off the main road a bit but really nice with great outdoor baths.

Yeah, I'm trying to find one in Iya, since it looks really nice and isolated. I'll keep the others in mind when I plan. I'm trying to slightly decrease the amount of driving this time (1000km total in Hokkaido/Aomori in October), but then again Shikoku is p small comparably.