Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Police Automaton posted:

I'm old af and find it incredibly hard to keep up with the massive wave of video games that's coming out these days, anyone feel the same? I mostly look at active threads in this forum every few months to see what's out, if they're active enough, often the game is good. (as long as it's a genre that interests me, that is) Then I get the game and never come around to actually play it more than for half an hour. Then when I actually have the time, I often end up playing old games I've been playing already for years. How do I get out of this

i wish we actually got new games with all of these new loving releases. the best we get is elevator pitches along the lines of 'it's like X, except with Y"

its like grand theft auto except you can hack people

its like crysis except its an open world with npcs you can talk to

its like uncharted except with a woman

its like system shock except with prop hunt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

lets hang out posted:

I have to turn my hand over and use my thumb to press the r button on my ds as hard as I can to make it work and it's making it really difficult to get through this part of castlevania order of ecclesia that's all spikes and magnets.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Good news: they're selling the new black New 3DS for $99 on Black Friday

Problem, meet solution. The New 3DS' screen is big enough that playing DS games in their original aspect ratio is totally fine. :^)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Wamdoodle posted:

I've heard either blowing really hard or using some canned air at the opening where the button is will fix that.

It worked, thanks :)

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
About to go on a plane to Florida to meet up with friends for the weekend. It'll be the first time in 9 years I've gotten on an airplane and the first flight I'll be going on by myself. I'm pretty nervous but also really excited!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

About to go on a plane to Florida to meet up with friends for the weekend. It'll be the first time in 9 years I've gotten on an airplane and the first flight I'll be going on by myself. I'm pretty nervous but also really excited!

enjoy. bring gameboy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nigga crab pollock posted:

i wish we actually got new games with all of these new loving releases. the best we get is elevator pitches along the lines of 'it's like X, except with Y"

"New" games are exactly that. Games build upon previous games and when you reduce it down to its bare minimum then that is all you have because at that point all you're doing is saying "this game is in an existing genre."

"It's like Doom except you have a crowbar!"
"It's like Mario except you're a blue hedgehog!"

Every so often you get something that creates a new genre but even then it's very rare for it not to be inspired by previous games just taken in new directions. This is also true for films, books and other media. You don't get 'new' things out of thin air except in the rarest of occasions.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

lets hang out posted:

It worked, thanks :)

:woop: nice!

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

nigga crab pollock posted:

Like that game 20 years ago you liked, just incredibly bad

To be fair there are a few creative ideas in between, what annoys me more is that nothing is ever finished or gets (more important) finished. Lots of half-baked stuff out there that could be good with the right amount of effort.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Should I play Mass Effect 3 or World of Final Fantasy over the long weekend? I'm about an hour in on both and haven't ever finished either (despite repeated attempts on the former)

(edit) Or should I sit down and finally play Bloodborne for more than an hour and a bit

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 10, 2016

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In addition to playing Odin Sphere, I also booted up the Mega Man Legacy Collection I got with the coupon that was with that PS4 humble bundle and I've been playing Mega Man 3, which was always my favorite of the series. I'm honestly not sure if I've ever beaten the whole thing considering the last time I played it (in the Anniversary collection) I played through with a friend and we switched off on levels. Even now I'm using save states and it's weird that I feel kind of bad even doing that, especially when you consider that when I was a kid I used to cheat like hell to get through the game with the second controller trick. Still, I'm well on my way. I've defeated the initial robot masters and I'm now at the awesome part of the game where you have to fight all the MM2 robot masters in remixed version of some of the MM3 stages.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I know it's only because it's the first X game I played, but I have a soft spot for Mega Man X6

Zero and Legends ftw tho

HotSoapyBeard
Nov 7, 2016

I'm a really cool nice dad
HAIKOOLIGAN
Hey oddium congratulations! Whatever you do don't worry about anyone else's opinion on names. My other half's mother hated our daughter's name at first and told us so; my partner was devastated but we stuck to our guns. Her mum got over it totally and we know we would've regretted giving her a traditional name to keep other people happy!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Looper posted:

I know it's only because it's the first X game I played, but I have a soft spot for Mega Man X6

Ewwww.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Should I play Mass Effect 3 or World of Final Fantasy over the long weekend? I'm about an hour in on both and haven't ever finished either (despite repeated attempts on the former)

(edit) Or should I sit down and finally play Bloodborne for more than an hour and a bit

WoFF is a much cheerier game which I get the impression you need.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So how's Dishonored 2??

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Where in FL bud?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Looper posted:

Zero and Legends ftw tho

You should try X4 if you haven't already, it's my favorite Mega Man game, and one of my favorite platformers of all time!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Weird to think that Captain Rainbow predicted the gross moral panic over transwomen and public restrooms.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ImpAtom posted:

You ain't joking on that front (oh coverage for TMS denied again well gently caress it I give up) but really as long as I can zone out I'm not fussed

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Skeezy posted:

So how's Dishonored 2??

From what I've heard it runs like hot garbage. Big frame rate fluctuations. It's apparently very fun though.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

From what I've heard it runs like hot garbage. Big frame rate fluctuations. It's apparently very fun though.

Same for consoles or what? Because I'm just going for the Bone version.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Same for consoles or what? Because I'm just going for the Bone version.

Oh no it runs fine on everything but PCs from what i'm hearing, so go for it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ciaphas posted:

Or should I sit down and finally play Bloodborne for more than an hour and a bit

ImpAtom posted:

yeah bloodborne loving rules but it's extremely grim, even by souls standards

now is the time for you personally and for us as gamers to play happy games; why the heck isn't pokemon out yet

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

HotSoapyBeard posted:

Hey oddium congratulations! Whatever you do don't worry about anyone else's opinion on names. My other half's mother hated our daughter's name at first and told us so; my partner was devastated but we stuck to our guns. Her mum got over it totally and we know we would've regretted giving her a traditional name to keep other people happy!

What's your daughter's name??

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wizard on a water slide posted:

yeah bloodborne loving rules but it's extremely grim, even by souls standards

now is the time for you personally and for us as gamers to play happy games; why the heck isn't pokemon out yet

I am playing Dishonored and another game which are not quite happy but at least allow me to stop lovely people from being lovely and at the moment that's the kind of escapism I need.

I appreciate DIshonored has you offered superpowers by a strange being with black eyes and you're allowed to go "Nah, fam, that's okay" and play the entire game without superpowers if you want. I'm curious what impact it has on the story.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I am playing Dishonored and another game which are not quite happy but at least allow me to stop lovely people from being lovely and at the moment that's the kind of escapism I need.

I appreciate DIshonored has you offered superpowers by a strange being with black eyes and you're allowed to go "Nah, fam, that's okay" and play the entire game without superpowers if you want. I'm curious what impact it has on the story.

By "Dishonored" do you mean 1 or 2? Because if I didn't know that you could refuse the Outsider in 1, if so that's awesome, it not then it's awesome that you can do it in 2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

By "Dishonored" do you mean 1 or 2? Because if I didn't know that you could refuse the Outsider in 1, if so that's awesome, it not then it's awesome that you can do it in 2

Dishonored 2, yeah.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

where the freaking flip is the new car boys

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Did you watch the Griffin and Nick Skyrim vid?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Touch the Skyrim is funny as hell.

Just got back from the store with Dishonored 2 and the dang Dishonored 1 code doesn't work lmao.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Give me the code. Maybe it'll work for me

HotSoapyBeard
Nov 7, 2016

I'm a really cool nice dad
HAIKOOLIGAN

Jay Rust posted:

What's your daughter's name??
It's Luna so I guess not that wild but I don't think her mum would've been happy unless it was really traditional

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
We named the dog Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm now in full agreement with the people that said the first 20 hours of FF13 was the best bit.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

Give me the code. Maybe it'll work for me

I'm a goddamn idiot. I thought the last character in the code was a 7 but it was a Z. So we're good now lmao.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

NobleSixFour posted:

Remember after 9/11 when Bush basically said if you don't go shopping the terrorists have won?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OddnvlQgH9w&t=200s
Robocop the series was really prescient

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Dishonored 2 is uh, big, like every building is explorable inside and out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You know, I'm replaying Dishonored 1 (having never beaten it) and the writing is pretty bad. Maybe it's just the voice acting but it's like the flattest thing

• Locked thread