Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

mossyfisk posted:

It's entirely possible that we won't see any enemy forces this update.

ahahahahaha

That would be a good but unlikely outcome. It's only if we don't see them next update that it becomes a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
What if the twist is that there is no one else left and they are just laughing at us freaking out :aaaaa:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Well whatever happens it ought to be entertaining at least.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
If we're still alive next phase I'll try to micromanage less.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

aphid_licker posted:

My photoshopping is like my generaling, hard and fast

Halfway through this I was no longer sure if it was actually Oystertoadfish who still needed a banner

If it's someone else I'll just edit it, no biggie

I didn't have a banner so I suppose it was me that needed it. thank you, danke

edit: lol there appears to be citrus of some sort in there. why not, I suppose

this adjudication feels less stressful than last one even though it should probably feel more so. psychology in war is quite complex

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 23, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
what sort of oyster eating toad doesn't know you squeeze lemon on those tasty mollusks.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Turn 49: 0800
British initiative

Your reinforcements arrive on the field; for the moment, their movements are unremarked-on, so as to save us all time. The 4th Cavalry quits Stethoscope.

Your engineers get to work.

The spotter plane flies out over the battlefield.

Turn 50: 0830
British initiative

Up come your horse reinforcements.

The 4th continues heading south.

Turn 51: 0900
German initiative

Second verse, same as the first.

Turn 52: 0930
British initiative

Still nothing new to remark on.

Mid-update overview:

Note that your two infantry brigades are fully on the board, but represented by single-chit markers at the moment.

Turn 53: 1000
British initiative

The spotter plane returns: here is what it saw on Turn 49.

For the rest, it's still a whole bunch of marching forward.

Yes, I'm using the old marching order block-chit; the 86th will have both its mortars when it adopts battle order.

Turn 54: 1030
German initiative

The 2nd gets its reinforcements. Note: I decided only to put their chits into position if they actually needed to be there to get shelled or spotted or shoot something, since they're moving off soon and then I'll have to move them around again. Spoilers, they didn't see anything, so on the overview they'll still be displayed in this position, but for adjudication purposes, they did actually take up their assigned positions.

The 3rd Brigade mounts up and moves out of its trenches.

The 4th comes up from behind and begins occupying Trench J.

A lot of marching happens in the rear...and then, on the enemy's movement phase, this happens.

First things first; you've used half your movement to mount, and then half your movement to leave the trenches, so you can't do any rifle fire this turn. I then go to your standing orders to work out what happens on Turn 55.

It says here "Turn and move towards the enemy".

Well then.

Turn 55: 1100
German initiative

Some things happen which I'm sure nobody doesn't care about any more, and which I shall therefore recap in as much detail as possible.

See, there's the 4th moving into Trench J behind. It knows what's going on up in front by now, but it doesn't have any orders to assist.

Look, here's your guns in position in Ferme Inutille. They'll unlimber next turn.

And here's some infantry marching up from the rear, just as fast as it can go. Good thing you spent a fatigue point to speed them up!

Right then. Over to the Bois. Here's what it looked like before anyone opened fire.

One of your MGs was too deep in the forest to see out, so repositioned itself and thus made itself ineligible to fire; the arse hortillery is also unable to fire because it's in a wood. You do manage to fire with two MGs, though...

Sadly, so does the enemy. And then they get an attempt to repel your charge with their rifles.

Fifteen rounds a minute for 30 minutes is a hell of a weight of fire to withstand, but some of your companies do survive to the close combat phase...

Four enemy companies retreating suppressed, four more killed, but some very timely best-possible-rolls from the BEF keep it from being quite as bad for them as it might have been.

Turn 56: 1130
British initiative

The 86th arrives in Stethoscope and will be in Battle Order next turn.

More forward motion in the south.

And then...

That's the northern enemy brigade charging your machine guns, while you in turn continue charging the southern brigade. Good news! One of those brigades survives the rifle fire! Bad news! Your brigade commander is shot down at point-blank range! Worse news! You take enough casualties to have to make a morale check! I switch dice.

And it doesn't help you a single solitary bit. The 3rd Brigade has routed. Don't worry, mossyfisk, there's more infantry coming in the afternoon. Overview.

And there you have it.

Speaking of. Another infantry division is approaching. The Corps Commander now must make a decision. At the cost of 1 fatigue point, you can have it arrive on the field beginning 1600 (so, not this update coming, the next one). Otherwise it'll arrive beginning 2000, and move forward under cover of darkness (which probably won't go too badly wrong until you send anyone off-road). It is accompanied by 6 7.7cm FKs, 6 10cm howitzers, and two foot engineers.

The next soft deadline is at 5pm, Saturday 25 March.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Hahahahahahahahaha

All this time I kept asking what should we do if BEF units move up before/during the attack and got no reply and now this happens. Oh the irony.

Well now there went one Cav Brigade for what looks like just short of a half of one BEF inf brigade and a bit of another one.

Requesting permission to withdraw, Saros!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Oh hey, exactly the direction that I was warning about. Neato.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Rush 'em up, Trin. Everyone: Get recruiting.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Also I need to say I am going to be out all day Saturday so I need to know my orders by tomorrow night if I am to get them in on time.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

koolkevz666 posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha

All this time I kept asking what should we do if BEF units move up before/during the attack and got no reply and now this happens. Oh the irony.

Well now there went one Cav Brigade for what looks like just short of a half of one BEF inf brigade and a bit of another one.

Requesting permission to withdraw, Saros!

If the Bde hadn't had the insane "charge everyone we see no matter what" the attack on the north would have gone off this turn avoiding the BEF infantry. Cav Brigadeers really need to be more cautious about that order and in general.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Saros posted:

If the Bde hadn't had the insane "charge everyone we see no matter what" the attack on the north would have gone off this turn avoiding the BEF infantry. Cav Brigadeers really need to be more cautious about that order and in general.

I know I included it because I don't know what else to put as I was thinking og what happened if I encounter an enemy unit while I was advancing, Not sure what I would have put for spotting an enemy unit after I was in position.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Yeah oh well, the BEF bdes sure are fat holy poo poo, your cav did a decent job hacking up one but whiffed the morale check again (lol of course).

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Where are the British :ohdear:

Ah. There they are!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Saros posted:

Yeah oh well, the BEF bdes sure are fat holy poo poo, your cav did a decent job hacking up one but whiffed the morale check again (lol of course).

At this point why even do morale rolls? Just have us rout the second the enemy is spotted. :V

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Also, I'm going away for the weekend in a couple of hours, but after that I'll take a place in the new division, I'll even command it if you want.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

well, we certainly messed with something they were planning - either this is a delay to those infantry brigades' plans on protecting the bois and advancing over the southern fords, or it's a redirection of troops who would've been headed somewhere in the north. so we know about a whole lot of infantry that aren't in the place we're intending to attack. that's the positive side of things.

should we still charge next turn? wait for some infantry? call it off?

i assume that infantry brigade heading across our bridge pretty much still has to get over there, hopefully we can keep a good defense up.

also note that our AH couldn't fire because it was in a forest. that is going to have effects if/when our cavalry set themselves up in the FdE. i guess cavalry aren't really meant to defend forest. not a big shock. but maybe we'd be good for softening up a defended forest before the infantry walk over our corpses, occupy, and defend it!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Haha I can switch to new division as it arrives, at this rate I won't have any troops by then!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I think keep the attack going. We need a foothold somewhere on the far side of the stream. We know that a significant portion of the enemy's strength is committed in the south, so we could possibly even pull a brigade off to help in the south.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Well that happened. Looks like I may finally get a chance to lead some troops.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Well at least I managed to finish a first turn without me likely being wiped out at the start of the next.:v:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

^congrats!

i think the brigade in the south should prepare to close within 12" of the ford and get ready to hit the BEF while they're crossing the fords. if they marched straight to the fords with no blocks it'd probably take them 4 turns but hopefully they'll be slowed down by the fleeing cavalry and maybe chasing after kev as he charges the foret de effyaders

12" is the range, btw, of not only MGs but trench mortars too. if the BEF dilly-dallies and we get time to entrench, the TMs wont be spottable until 3", not even when they fire. i think they're our principal historically accurate equipment advantage in this battle, so i'd like to use them if the brits try to charge across the southern fords (i wonder if they can see our bridge, and if they'd use it?)

...and i think it'd take at least 6 turns to get within 12" of the ford, then you need another before you can shoot, so they'd have to dilly-dally pretty good - but i think there's a chance. and if we see the enemy the Standing Order can be to defend in place, right? if they get across the ford very quickly, we could get set up as soon as we see them and be in the least bad position possible at that point - unless the right move is to play very defensively and entrench well behind the ford. i doubt that, we'd have trouble spotting them even

trin says i can take my brigade past the wire single-file. the only reference to single file i can find in the rules is with regard to fords and bridges; in both cases it's described as not causing a movement penalty. so two inferences here for people to consider:

inference 1
does that mean that when a brigade's single-filing through a ford, the only effect is that, when fired upon, trin draws the fording brigade up in a single-file and therefore defensively bad formation?

inference 2
and does that mean that if it's a wire, not a ford, that's making me go single file, i would also find that the only effect is how i'm drawn up if i come under fire on the turn where i pass the wire? including no movement penalty, since i'm not actually in the wire?

i'm mildly hopeful that the artillery will suppress the fire against me - we shall see - but otherwise i can see how i'd get hung up all single-file on both the ford and the wire and lose two or more turns on my way to the forest. i think it'll take me till turn 3 even if all goes perfectly - go 12" to line up on the road, then head down the road across the ford and use the remainder of your movement to get as close as possible to the forest. the fraction left over after the road movement might be enough to make it to the forest on turn 2 without the wire, but i think it's too far with the necessary detour. we'd be close on turn 2, though. i guess advancing at half movement so they can fire rifles is kind of insane, but on the other hand maybe i'd be taking 2 turns to get from the ford to the forest either way?

decisions, decisions

and the next thought - on turn 1 where i'm getting out of the taillis douche and onto the road, do i form up as close to the ford as possible or as far as possible?

close as possible: i could maybe get within rifle range of the forest by only using half my movement, possibly granting me a turn of rifle fire before i make the final charge. if the enemy spots me i'll be within MG and direct artillery fire range, not to mention in a logical spot for an enemy indirect fire mission

far as possible: being like 10" back from the ford, just enough that the company can make it across in one turn of movement, which would allow for only one turn stuck in enemy gunsights instead of the two turns above, would protect from MG and direct artillery fire until then, and it'd be harder for them to justify targeting that particular patch of road with their artillery, i'd imagine... but when things don't go as planned, this course of action makes it more likely that i'd get hung up, potentially losing multiple turns.

i think i should form up as close to the ford as possible and hope to hell the artillery barrage covers for me, even if it doesn't mean i can get a half-movement rifle fire round in - speed is of the essence and i need to minimize the chances of getting slowed down. everything's predicated on that anyway

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 24, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Cav bde dehorses and holds that trench, inf bde moves in behind them. Inf bde in Inutile switches to defend, everything else advances on those two bdes and mashes them into a fine paste.

e: or cav bde advances along that southern road with orders to chaaarge the second it sees someone, inf bde moves into the trench, everthing else unchanged.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 24, 2017

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well that was something.

Also there is some wire at the border of FdE, where we planned to attack. So something is there, even though it might just be a single enginerd brigade

And drat, those brits have a lotta meat in their inf brigades, I guess ours are actually better at defending since we have more MGs and some mortars ? :v:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

4 cav has no realistic shot of holding that trench especially as we nicely dug entrenchments in BdB for the BEF to take cover in. We should have entrenchments on our side of the river shortly thanks to the engineer there so the infantry can occupy them. For 4 bde I'm thinking of sending them north still to avoid the BEF infantry. I still really want to pull off the FdE attack and they are now the only ones who don't have to cross a ford under fire to get there.

Saros fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 24, 2017

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
My only regret is that the Artillery is too busy to fire directly on my last known position.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

We can probably assume they will advance to the east side of BdB and drop some shells there in a turn or two.

So here's something...

The distance between our infantry that are out of cover and the forest is slightly over 10'', this means that is there were troops with arty or MG's entrenched in the forest corner we would have already been fired on. So i'm thinking this means that the odds are the forest is currently empty.

Saros fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 24, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Saros posted:

4 cav has no realistic shot of holding that trench especially as we nicely dug entrenchments in BdB for the BEF to take cover in. We should have entrenchments on our side of the river shortly thanks to the engineer there so the infantry can occupy them. For 4 bde I'm thinking of sending them north still to avoid the BEF infantry. I still really want to pull off the FdE attack and they are now the only ones who don't have to cross a ford under fire to get there.

Attacking known enemy is a better bet than attacking possible enemy. Especially when falling back means giving up our bridgehead.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 24, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

aphid_licker posted:

Attacking known enemy is a better bet than attacking possible enemy.

By which you are suggesting.... ?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

By which you are suggesting.... ?

We go after those two brigades and call off the attack in the north.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Please, please no! Make them come after us as we drive deep into their territory.

We can't hope to get anywhere if we change plans every time something, anything loving changes (and this isn't even a change, we must have expected a counterattack in the south. Now it's come. Big deal).

This sort of rashness almost cost us the last game!

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 24, 2017

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yea we're not doing that.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Those BEF brigades look big enough and disciplined enough to charge a German trench, survive the defensive fire, and then take the trench in close combat.

Also, I can't decipher goings on in this thread well enough to guess if someone has already been given command of the 1600 Division. If not, can I have it? Although possibly it should go to someone new instead of the guy who only just got shot.

mossyfisk fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 24, 2017

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Saros posted:

We can probably assume they will advance to the east side of BdB and drop some shells there in a turn or two.

So here's something...

The distance between our infantry that are out of cover and the forest is slightly over 10'', this means that is there were troops with arty or MG's entrenched in the forest corner we would have already been fired on. So i'm thinking this means that the odds are the forest is currently empty.

Don't forget that a unit there may have a conditional order to hold their fire until one of our units gets close enough to cross the ford itself or something like that. Not saying this is the case but we can't discount the fact that there may be a unit inside there.

The layout of the wire makes me think there either is or was something there. Every other piece of wire has been before the Fords themselves et this one is placed perfectly to hold up a unit right on the edge of the forest where any likely attack from that ford is going to come from.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well since I kinda lost track of exactly how much time would elapse in the update, my guys there currently have the order to facecheck that forest. :confuoot: (I somehow assumed that the update would go beyond 1200 and include the assault on FdE, we should maybe add a page in our Google sheet with update/turn/time equivalents)

Depending on how quickly they'd react to new orders they might just waltz in there over the wire anyways :ohdear:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Please, please no! Make them come after us as we drive deep into their territory.

We can't hope to get anywhere if we change plans every time something, anything loving changes (and this isn't even a change, we must have expected a counterattack in the south. Now it's come. Big deal).

This sort of rashness almost cost us the last game!

What cost us the last game was trying to meaninglessly "drive deep into their territory" while ignoring their troops.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

aphid_licker posted:

Attacking known enemy is a better bet than attacking possible enemy. Especially when falling back means giving up our bridgehead.

We don't have a bridgehead. This is a bridgehead.

What we did is have our unit scout, get caught out in the middle of nowhere and die.

Now, that was at least arguably useful a a distraction, since the enemy committed major forces to the area. However, throwing another single unit at them just means we're tossing that unit away for little to no gain. Don't let the visuals fool you; most of the missing forces "retreated suppressed", we didn't kill off half the infantry brigade. I argued they should pull back over the river and link up with the two southern infantry so we have a defensive line, but at least having them join the northern attack is a decent alternative to throwing them away for no reason or gain.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 24, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

aphid_licker posted:

What cost us the last game was trying to meaninglessly "drive deep into their territory" while ignoring their troops.

No, it was constantly moving the goalposts without taking a second to consider our situation as a whole and consolidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the corps commander isn't going to change his mind. I'd politely request that the division commanders put together implementations of his plans - and you guys and him can go back and forth however you want on that, but he's left a paper trail itt too - soon, so that usa people will have all night to review and implement their orders.

also because we were forward thinking enough to give out two updates worth of orders last update, we're already pretty much set, and any orders we give now have to take into account that they might only get enacted after a few more turns of following the current orders

for example, the inf currently heading to the southern bridge should probably be given some instructions on setting up within mg/ mortar range of the ford and digging in (or wherever other people think they should get ready to defend against those bef in the south while we pivot north and hit em where they possibly ain't), but even if they don't, I think their standing orders will have them set up to defend if they see the bef, so at least there's that

I'll give my guys some slightly more specific orders about forming up on the road just out of mg and maybe arty range, taking the road across the ford, then going overland between the wire and the river to the north, with possibly some optimistic orders for mg and ah to set up for supporting fire, but my current orders would probably end up having the same effect

also we should reconsider our post charge fde deployments in light of not having one of the brigades any more, but again at the cost of some fuckiness our current orders will at least accomplish the right thing to some degree

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 24, 2017

• Locked thread