Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

withak posted:

Can a human body fold down to 40L?

Do you not think so? Should I go 43?

khysanth posted:

Not sure I've seen one that big. What do you need it for?

Folding human bodies down to 40 (43?) liters.

I want something I can strap to the back of a motorcycle. I have lots of bags but something waterproof that can fit everything in one place and not have tons of straps/flappy bits that need securing would be simpler and safer.

My stuff compresses well, lots of down, but I’d like to get it all into a 40L and compress it down from there for ease of initial packing. I have duffel bags but compression straps like on my S2Summit bags would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
You could use smaller normal compression sacks, and then put them in a dry bag?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If it's possible to use multiple smaller inner bags, that is going to be lot better for organization than a single huge bag.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I could definitely do that. And I have smaller compression bags already. Any recs then for a regular ~30L dry bag?

Edit: oh REI has tons of regular dry bags. Nice. I’m gonna just bring in a bunch of packed bags to the store and find the perfect fit for them.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 12, 2019

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Ortlieb rack packs range from 24 to 89 liters. I would not use one backpacking because they are made with thick vinyl, but they are sturdy should strap down on top of motorcycle saddle bags nicely.

https://ortliebusa.com/product/rack-pack/

The roll top going the length of the bag does make it hard to cram compressible stuff in, but it is nice to be able to reach some things without dumping the entire bag.

E: they also have backpack style ones that are just a giant rolltop sack with shoulder straps.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 12, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco has some nice Marmot 700-fill Down Jackets for ~$90

https://costcocouple.com/marmot-mens-down-jacket/

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

CopperHound posted:

Ortlieb rack packs range from 24 to 89 liters. I would not use one backpacking because they are made with thick vinyl, but they are sturdy should strap down on top of motorcycle saddle bags nicely.

https://ortliebusa.com/product/rack-pack/

The roll top going the length of the bag does make it hard to cram compressible stuff in, but it is nice to be able to reach some things without dumping the entire bag.

E: they also have backpack style ones that are just a giant rolltop sack with shoulder straps.

Yeah the roll-top style with straps are perfectly fine for canoe camping trips, they're our go-to for whitewater for the poo poo you don't want to get wet.
You could also go with the duffel-style drybags, they're pretty good if somewhat unwieldy to haul around like a back-pack.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
On the subject of big dry bags, I got a 35L s2s and it’s totally gonna work for moto-hammock-woods-sleeping.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 19, 2019

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

On the subject of big dry bags, I got a 35L s2s and it’s totally gonna work for moto-hammock-woods-sleeping.

Hell yeah! Lookin sharp!

I’m sure that cargo net will work perfect, but if you do find it getting loose over time, Rok Straps are a godsend. They’re like a combo ratcheting/bungee strap:

https://rokstraps.com/

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

OSU_Matthew posted:

Hell yeah! Lookin sharp!

I’m sure that cargo net will work perfect, but if you do find it getting loose over time, Rok Straps are a godsend. They’re like a combo ratcheting/bungee strap:

https://rokstraps.com/

I was looking for kind of a backup bungee to just throw on the middle in case the net fails while on a trip so I’ll probably pick a couple of these up and keep them in the bag. Thanks!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's looking like in April 2020 I'm going to be attending Revenant 2, a post-apocalyptic airsoft LARP that takes place over 3 days. This would be the first time in about 20 years that I've gone camping, so I'm completely out of practice.

I'm going to be by myself, so I don't need a multi-person tent. But I have to be able to carry everything in and out in one go, which means everything will have to go on my body or in my hands in one trip onto the field. What would you recommend for a shelter and sleeping system? It's going to be in Oklahoma, so nights are usually around 50-55 F that time of year.

Also looking at getting a light camp stove. My food is probably going to be MRE retort pouches that I can boil and all supplemental food from the event is canned.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

chitoryu12 posted:

It's looking like in April 2020 I'm going to be attending Revenant 2, a post-apocalyptic airsoft LARP that takes place over 3 days. This would be the first time in about 20 years that I've gone camping, so I'm completely out of practice.

I'm going to be by myself, so I don't need a multi-person tent. But I have to be able to carry everything in and out in one go, which means everything will have to go on my body or in my hands in one trip onto the field. What would you recommend for a shelter and sleeping system? It's going to be in Oklahoma, so nights are usually around 50-55 F that time of year.

Also looking at getting a light camp stove. My food is probably going to be MRE retort pouches that I can boil and all supplemental food from the event is canned.

Are you carrying this stuff while playing or just bringing it in once and setting it up for the whole weekend? Like, is the camping aspect actually part of the immersion of the event or is it just how people are staying at the location? That makes the biggest difference.

I've done a lot of airsoft milsim events in the past (lion claws & some other multi day events) and camped at several of them. All of my events were car camping type where you just camp for the weekend and play during the day/evening so I never had to worry about carrying anything with me. If thats the case, you can bring whatever food you want as you dont have to worry about weight. If you have to pack everything in, then that will make a big difference.

My recommendation would be to go as light as possible for shelter and sleep gear. You can always suffer for 2 nights and 50s isn't very cold unless it rains. It wont take much of a sleeping bag to keep you warm. Sleeping pad is optional. Look for a very minimal tarp type shelter. Its easy set up, minimal parts, light weight. Maybe even just consider a bivvy setup but they can get hot, expensive and claustrophobic. Honestly the cheapest would be just getting a lightweight tent foot print and using that as a tarp above your head in case it rains. Definitely test it out before you do it though.

Also MREs kind of suck. They are heavy and take up a lot of space. They have a lot of liquid in them which weighs a ton. They produce a lot of packaging waste and the heating elements are also added weight. I'm guessing if you have to camp within the boundaries of this AO, you will need to pack out everything you bring in, including waste. Maybe just consider some basic foods like salami, jerky, cheese, tortillas, nuts, granola, oatmeal, etc which will all be stable at room temperature for a weekend. Its easier to eat on the go and you dont need to heat them up which eliminates cooking gear. If you want hot food, just look for a tiny camp stove and a small butane canister and an aluminum cup to heat up water etc. Avoid the dehydrated backpacker meals because they're not that good and rarely rehydrate well.

I'm not sure what kind of gear you plan on playing with and how much you're allotted to carry but I know my loadout weighed a bit (chest rig with however many magazines plus gun, radio, hydration bladder, etc) and carrying poo poo on top of that (shelter/sleep system/food/etc) I would be trying to minimize what I was carrying to make the days easier and just deal with two lovely nights.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm actually camping on the field. It gets set up when you arrive and you take it down when you leave. The communities are immune to attack from dusk to dawn but are otherwise in play. My choice of food is because you can only start the game with a 1-gallon bag of food and have to be provided supplementary canned food by the game, so disassembled MREs are relatively easy to pack into a ziplock. With the check-in and check-out time, it's 5 meals total that I need to be eating during the event.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Instant potatoes and a gravy packet is one of my favorite things to eat and it’s light as gently caress and it sounds like water shouldn’t count against your food bucket
Tuna packs and tortillas are also great, and I had an okay time making some instant rice with a bunch of weird seasonings and some jerky added.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sockser posted:

Instant potatoes and a gravy packet is one of my favorite things to eat and it’s light as gently caress and it sounds like water shouldn’t count against your food bucket
Tuna packs and tortillas are also great, and I had an okay time making some instant rice with a bunch of weird seasonings and some jerky added.

Water is 1 gallon to start as well, with additional water provided.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Verman posted:

Avoid the dehydrated backpacker meals because they're not that good and rarely rehydrate well.

Things like Backpacker's Pantry are delicious, lightweight, good ingredients and calories, and rehydrate just fine. Their real downside is they are quite expensive and wasteful. We often use them when we go backpacking (just for dinners), but it's with full awareness that we are grossly overpaying for our meals.

I agree there are other better, cheaper options. But if cost isn't a factor, there's nothing wrong with the dehydrated meals at REI or whatever.

Hot oatmeal in the morning is nice. Stir in things like nuts, berries, protein powder, and even instant coffee (like Starbucks via). You can premix all that in plastic sandwich baggies ahead of time.

Edit: I missed the bit about 1 gallon volume allowed. Dehydrated backpacker meals have extra packaging, so maybe not ideal if very space limited. Focus on calorie dense stuff, which has already been recommended: peanut butter, tortillas, hard meats, etc. I don't know anything about MREs.

incogneato fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 22, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Someone here endorsed Packit instead of the usual backpacker meal brands, I wholeheartedly endorse them too. No reason to be miserable at mealtime, even if they are a bit pricier.

The usual MRE constipation warnings here.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 22, 2019

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Someone here endorsed Packit instead of the usual backpacker meal brands, I wholeheartedly endorse them too. No reason to be miserable at mealtime, even if they are a bit pricier.

The usual MRE constipation warnings here.

It's not exactly challenging to spice up some couscous, salami and peanuts to make a tasty meal that you can eat a few days in a row. Nor is it hard to make some quick oats, milk powder and dried fruit for a morning meal that you'd eat at home anyway.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I’ve had plenty of dehydrated backpacker meals and I’m not fond of them. You need an accurate measure of water to avoid a meal that’s soupy or incompletely rehydrated, and there’s no way to easily repack the food when I have a strict space limit. Retort pouches that can be simply boiled will go well with the canned food they provide, as I have a mess kit that can cook both over a fire or stove, and I can pack a ton of them in a gallon ziplock.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

chitoryu12 posted:

I’ve had plenty of dehydrated backpacker meals and I’m not fond of them. You need an accurate measure of water to avoid a meal that’s soupy or incompletely rehydrated, and there’s no way to easily repack the food when I have a strict space limit. Retort pouches that can be simply boiled will go well with the canned food they provide, as I have a mess kit that can cook both over a fire or stove, and I can pack a ton of them in a gallon ziplock.

The other secret to camp meals:

Learn to enjoy the soupy meals while hiking as it's basically free hydration, this may only apply somewhere like :australia: that is hot as balls.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MREs are heavier and take more space because they aren't dehydrated. You pop open the pouch and eat. Or heat it up if you can.

In some ways that makes them a better meal, especially if you really hate freeze dried stuff, but they also are designed to sit on the shelf for five years (and are probably edible for longer than that) so there are a lot of preservatives involved.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

xzzy posted:

MREs are heavier and take more space because they aren't dehydrated. You pop open the pouch and eat. Or heat it up if you can.

In some ways that makes them a better meal, especially if you really hate freeze dried stuff, but they also are designed to sit on the shelf for five years (and are probably edible for longer than that) so there are a lot of preservatives involved.

Also, you can unpack the MRE to carry the individual components you want. I went on a 6.5 mile hike on Mackinac Island last week and I was able to fit almost the entire thing (including the heater) in my jacket pockets. Combined with a stove and mess kit or flameless ration heaters, it’s extremely easy to carry a lot of hot meals with you.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Lets be honest, the real name for them shouldn't be Meals Ready to Eat, they are Meals Reluctant to Extract. That might have been the longest 5 days of my life waiting for the impending doom.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, this is the mess kit I've got and was thinking about using for cooking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w25xjdRH9uo

I've cooked with it once on a regular stove burner so I know it's in safe condition to use and it can withstand heat. Since I probably won't need to carry any of my gear more than about a mile from the car judging from the field size, I can probably afford to include this and a small stove.

I was thinking a white gas stove so I wouldn't need to worry about the bulk and disposal of JetBoil cans. I generally know the basics of working a Primus-type.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, this is the mess kit I've got and was thinking about using for cooking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w25xjdRH9uo

I've cooked with it once on a regular stove burner so I know it's in safe condition to use and it can withstand heat. Since I probably won't need to carry any of my gear more than about a mile from the car judging from the field size, I can probably afford to include this and a small stove.

I was thinking a white gas stove so I wouldn't need to worry about the bulk and disposal of JetBoil cans. I generally know the basics of working a Primus-type.

I used to use white gas, but the butane fuel canister stoves are just so much lighter, simpler, and more reliable. A 5$ medium canister will last you the whole weekend plus, and just about any 10$ stove on amazon will be perfect.

I’m a cold sleeper, so a 50* night would have me wanting a 40* rated mummy bag. Might as well be comfortable.

A mile from the car, you’ll be able to pack in a buncha extra gear. You can suck up a 50lb pack for that, though it wouldn’t be a ton of fun.

If you have an REI nearby, often they have bundle sales on basic kits that are a good deal. Rei quarter dome tent, bag, pad, etc. That would be more than adequate and serve you well for a long time to come.

Try checking out Packit Gourmet for meals. They are absolutely delicious, require very little water to rehydrate, and a bunch of the them don’t even require heat to rehydrate. Plus the portion sizes are perfect. MREs are awful for the reason everyone listed above—heavy, wasteful, and they just don’t taste very good. Otherwise hit up the grocery store and make some stuff like pepperoni & cheese bagels, side of trail mix, clif bars, fruit, oatmeal, PB&J, jerky, snack pak puddings, etc will happily get you through the weekend.

Have fun man and please don’t hesitate to keep checking back the thread when you do find something you wanna buy!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

When people are describing MREs as heavy and tasting awful, are they describing them from the perspective of packing entire MREs or the individual components? I'm very experienced with military rations and have eaten a ton of MREs, so I'm intimately familiar with their taste and nutrition. Like I said, my plan was to "field strip" them so the flat retort pouches can be packed into my regulation 1-gallon ziplock bag and the components I don't care about are left at home, and it'll make it easier to guarantee hot meals consistently if I have something I can boil.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 23, 2019

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

You should consider Tasty Bites or similar if you like pooping and want something simple and nutritious to prepare. They are somewhat heavy but pack flat so they might be good for your situation. Serve with rice or potatoes, maybe some starkist chicken breast if you must eat meat

So to clarify the enemy might come into your camp? Can you leave your tent and sleeping bag up or will it get shot up and ransacked?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think MRE's are that bad, but they have a "reputation" and it gets parroted by nearly everyone. It's been a long time since I've had one though.. like 20 years. But I remember really liking the spaghetti and meatballs ones my dad snuck home from work. And the miniature branded condiments like the tabasco bottles were super cool to me.

I wouldn't want to live on them for weeks at a time, but that's true for freeze dried food too. Both approaches have their upsides and downsides so it depends on what problem you're trying to solve.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

You should consider Tasty Bites or similar if you like pooping and want something simple and nutritious to prepare. They are somewhat heavy but pack flat so they might be good for your situation. Serve with rice or potatoes, maybe some starkist chicken breast if you must eat meat

So to clarify the enemy might come into your camp? Can you leave your tent and sleeping bag up or will it get shot up and ransacked?

Everyone is assigned to a "community" at the beginning where you set up camp. They can be attacked during the day, but are safe zones with no fighting allowed from sunset to sunrise. You're not allowed to touch anyone's possessions except for in-game items they may have found and you can't go into anyone's bags ("searching" someone after killing them means they just hand over their stuff to you), but yes my tent can theoretically start taking BBs from a hostile faction if they attack.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
MREs were fine when I was feeling super lazy and in a water tight area, but unpackaging is a must, setting aside questions of the wrappings and whatnot creating a ton of trash, or that personal taste means some pieces aren’t good to some people (I loving abhor fake spreadable cheese, so naturally I got it in 3/4 of my packs), there’s just tremendous rendundancy in things like spices, coffee, and utensils that can be eliminated easily. The good news is those are amazing to save for later trips, especially condiments and coffee! And books of matches with each MRE? What’s not to appreciate.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

xzzy posted:

I don't think MRE's are that bad, but they have a "reputation" and it gets parroted by nearly everyone. It's been a long time since I've had one though.. like 20 years. But I remember really liking the spaghetti and meatballs ones my dad snuck home from work. And the miniature branded condiments like the tabasco bottles were super cool to me.

I wouldn't want to live on them for weeks at a time, but that's true for freeze dried food too. Both approaches have their upsides and downsides so it depends on what problem you're trying to solve.

In this case, my desire would be to have hot meals at least 2 or 3 times a day. We're provided supplementary food and water in the form of canned food and bottled water so I don't actually need to pack 3 days' worth of food into my gallon ziplock, but I'd like to avoid eating cold soup straight out of the can if possible. I was angling toward my Soviet mess kit and a small stove because that would allow me to boil and fry in one package, so both canned food and retort pouches would be easy to heat with that system. It's a bit of an odd thing to plan for because it doesn't fit into a lot of traditional camping or backpacking lifestyle and there are certain restrictions on what I can bring or how much of it.

The event is part of a series by Omega Productions held in various places around the country, so while it's Revenant 2 they've been holding the same event on different fields for years. These videos should demonstrate what it'll be like, including pictures of how other people packed for their march to camp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrOmu8gOECc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChEuodVq5Fg

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Meal chat.

I make Andrew Skurka's beans and rice for literally every dinner while I'm out backpacking. I will eat this for dinner for weeks in a row. It's so good that if I'm lazy at home and can't be assed to make something else for dinner, I will make these beans and rice.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I did my first hike last week in a long time to prep for April. It was 6.5 miles on Mackinac Island (7.9 miles of walking the entire day, since there's no vehicles on the island and I had to walk everywhere through town to get to and from the trail). I bought an MRE, then took it apart and stuffed it in my jacket pockets. I left a few items behind but otherwise managed to get almost the entire thing in my jacket without a noticeable increase in weight, including the flameless ration heater and a flask of whiskey. I ended up not needing everything I brought but it was really great to have a hot meal when it's 35 degrees, 23 MPH wind, and rain.

I took my M1961 canteen for water and I'm likely bringing it to Revenant as well. Along with being convenient when clipped to a belt, it nests in the carrier in a metal canteen cup so I can heat water for coffee or tea over the stove as well and avoid needing to separately pack a cup for that.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

khysanth posted:

Meal chat.

I make Andrew Skurka's beans and rice for literally every dinner while I'm out backpacking. I will eat this for dinner for weeks in a row. It's so good that if I'm lazy at home and can't be assed to make something else for dinner, I will make these beans and rice.

Probably the only thing that the USA has that holds appeal to me is the amount of instant beans etc you can get. I need to go to a speciality store to just get regular old black beans. The instant bean options you have are mind blowing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Inceltown posted:

Probably the only thing that the USA has that holds appeal to me is the amount of instant beans etc you can get. I need to go to a speciality store to just get regular old black beans. The instant bean options you have are mind blowing.

Cannot confirm, I had to order my instant beans from amazon because I couldn't find any at my local grocery stores. Maybe it's a regional thing and instant refried beans just aren't popular in Illinois.

Instant rice is super easy to get though.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

chitoryu12 posted:

When people are describing MREs as heavy and tasting awful, are they describing them from the perspective of packing entire MREs or the individual components? I'm very experienced with military rations and have eaten a ton of MREs, so I'm intimately familiar with their taste and nutrition. Like I said, my plan was to "field strip" them so the flat retort pouches can be packed into my regulation 1-gallon ziplock bag and the components I don't care about are left at home, and it'll make it easier to guarantee hot meals consistently if I have something I can boil.

The thing is, there are much better, tastier, cheaper, lighter options than MREs. Even if you do strip out the toxic heating elements and only carry individual pieces, you still have to boil the contents, which takes longer and requires a lot more fuel than just boiling and adding the water to rehydrate them. You also need the additional water to boil them, so you’re basically doubling the weight content by carrying hydrated food. They’re basically a terrible option compared to just about everything else out there.

Not to mention the packaging isn’t conducive to packing the trash out, it doesn’t ziplock back up nicely.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

I did my first hike last week in a long time to prep for April.

Not to deter you from posting in here about your camping related stuff because we are more than happy to give advice/suggestions, but there's also an airsoft portion of SA called the Pellet Palace if you didn't already know in case you wanted any further discussion on the more airsoft specific questions/gear recommendations/etc.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=277

khysanth posted:

Meal chat.

This is absolute trail gold and my favorite of all my trail meals. I usually bring some taco bell hot sauce packets with me as well. I would eat this right now if I had it with me.

Verman fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 23, 2019

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
** Quote is not edit***

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

khysanth posted:

Meal chat.

I'm guessing you don't share a tent with anyone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Verman posted:

Not to deter you from posting in here about your camping related stuff because we are more than happy to give advice/suggestions, but there's also an airsoft portion of SA called the Pellet Palace if you didn't already know in case you wanted any further discussion on the more airsoft specific questions/gear recommendations/etc.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=277

Yes, I post in there as well. Camping is the only side of this event that I have virtually no experience in.

OSU_Matthew posted:

The thing is, there are much better, tastier, cheaper, lighter options than MREs. Even if you do strip out the toxic heating elements and only carry individual pieces, you still have to boil the contents, which takes longer and requires a lot more fuel than just boiling and adding the water to rehydrate them. You also need the additional water to boil them, so you’re basically doubling the weight content by carrying hydrated food. They’re basically a terrible option compared to just about everything else out there.

Not to mention the packaging isn’t conducive to packing the trash out, it doesn’t ziplock back up nicely.

What would you recommend for hot meals that fit in a 1 gallon ziplock?