Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
While LPing AC5, I made a habit of regularly googling Wes Scantlin's name to see if anything new had popped up in the news about him, and sure enough in the time between the start of the LP and the end of it, Wes Scantlin
  • paused a show mid-song and delivered a bizarre, rambling eulogy for Slip Knot's late bassist Paul Gray.
  • no-showed a music festival in Quebec where Puddle of Mudd was one of the headline bands and left one of the festival managers waiting futilely at an airport as they plane he was supposed to be on arrived without him.
  • had to preform a show solo after the rest of Puddle of Mudd missed a connecting flight.
  • was arrested and served 20 days in jail for trying to bring a gun onto an airplane.

And yes, I do appreciate the irony of how the majority of Wes Scantlin's news-worthy problems in his life revolved around airplanes for the duration of the Ace Combat 5 LP.

That's the universe telling me it approves of my work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Aaaaand after an hour of trying to actually play and record Assault Horizon, I have decided I am actually NOT going to LP Assault Horizon.

So unless anyone else wants to step up and tack a crack at it in Noble's place, it looks like Assault Horizon is going to remain the one that got away. Because gently caress it, I've tried playing it three times now and every time it's driven me to purposefully lawndart my plane into the ground just to make it stop. And I stuck Ace Comabt 2 out to the bitter end. So that shows you how much I hate playing this game.

Oh well, on to Killzone: Shadow Fall!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
this lack of dedication is shameful compared to Guts' dedication to intoxication!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

nine-gear crow posted:

Aaaaand after an hour of trying to actually play and record Assault Horizon, I have decided I am actually NOT going to LP Assault Horizon.

Ha-ha! Do we have a smiley of Nelson from the Simpsons? Because that's what I'm going for.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

World's shortest LP or attempt to LP I guess.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

World's shortest LP or attempt to LP I guess.

Hey, something vaguely productive came out of it...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Maybe if you'd paid for those Idolmaster skins you could tolerate it, since it'd be more familiar to you. After all, is it really ace combat for you without being intensely anime?

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

nine-gear crow posted:

So unless anyone else wants to step up and tack a crack at it in Noble's place, it looks like Assault Horizon is going to remain the one that got away.

Well, I do hate myself enough to do HAWX, so maybe...

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
I'd be willing to record and edit footage, just so long as I don't have to commentate. Playing the game seems like the easy part :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Makrond posted:

I'd be willing to record and edit footage, just so long as I don't have to commentate. Playing the game seems like the easy part :v:

That's fine. I'm willing to do the exact inverse: comment and not play it. I'm sure we can work something out.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

That might lead to some excellent videos. I'm all for this idea. :v:

crow: "And now I'm taking the ... uh, F-16...no, wait, the ... what the? the gently caress is this? you don't take that! No, why"

blind commentary just like Guts should be blind drunk

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 8, 2018

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

become Emperor of Japan!
I'm yet to figure out how to bring a helicopter into the dogfighting missions so until then things will be relatively sane. I'll have to do some practicing and planning to make sure I can actually show the game for what it is though, warts and all. I'm certainly open to suggestions. And memory hacking.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'd love to record but then I recall my computer can't seem to handle recording ACAH and playing it at a same time and that I have yet to beat the last couple of levels. :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Makrond posted:

I'm yet to figure out how to bring a helicopter into the dogfighting missions so until then things will be relatively sane. I'll have to do some practicing and planning to make sure I can actually show the game for what it is though, warts and all. I'm certainly open to suggestions. And memory hacking.

just do the missile-evasion move nonstop when you are flying a helicopter, problem solved

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

become Emperor of Japan!
i might have spent too much time on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMR1AazRMzc

i'm sorry/you're welcome

Makrond fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 25, 2018

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty solid effort if anything.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

It's certainly more effort than AH probably deserves.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Tomorrow.

mecharick
Nov 4, 2009
*leans in and whispers*.....Hail Belka and Shuffle with the Seraphim

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Belka Did Everything Wrong :colbert:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Dun-da-da-DUN!

White Coke
May 29, 2015
How many Build The Wall jokes can we expect?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Six.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

“Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometres away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope. Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, 'love' is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and strangely enough, not many meatbags would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose... against statistically long odds...”

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Lazy Bear posted:

“Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometres away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope. Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, 'love' is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and strangely enough, not many meatbags would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose... against statistically long odds...”

That is still the best definition of "love" I've ever heard, and I'm so glad that there was an option for the Exile to not be a stick-in-the-mud about it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Assault Horizon is a great game that makes me want to punch my own balls off.

Just great.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:munch:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

The Round Table amazing video

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mr_E_Xfe6Y&t=191s

also amazing video

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

:magical:

I feel like that video needs Vinny from Vinesauce screaming over it because of how utterly hosed up it is.

Also I could have swears that 6’s cutscenes were all pre-rendered, but nope, they’re all done live apparently. Huh.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

Also I could have swears that 6’s cutscenes were all pre-rendered, but nope, they’re all done live apparently. Huh.

This was a thing in the marketing I believe. Like they mentioned being proud of how their engine could do closeup fine detail in cutscenes but still perform at 30,000 feet with 20 planes and 2000 missile smoke trails.

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 27, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psion posted:

This was a thing in the marketing I believe. Like they mentioned being proud of how their engine could do closeup fine detail in cutscenes but still perform at 30,000 fest with 20 planes and 2000 missile smoke trails.

And for what it's worth, Namco makes some drat solid graphics engines. The one that SoulCalibur V and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 run on was near-peak for "oh holy poo poo, that looks really good" for the PS3/360-era.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
how about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUPpY5YtLWI

and on the subject of ace combat in games other than ace combat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1PZz7iC7rY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl4eNxI_960 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD45gmVwr5Y

Thefluffy fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 7, 2018

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

god drat

at this rate we're gonna get a full motion picture of ace combat zero before we get any new 7 info

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Same person who did that one apparently just uploaded another AC in DC video just recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-6-iudKKc0

Not to mention you forgot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsMg244DvmI. Even if I think that one has been linked before.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
I want to see his take on the firebombing of hoffnung and the STAGE OF THE APOCALYPSE

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Go pay your taxes

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

become Emperor of Japan!
Psst, hey kid.

Did you know Assault Horizon had cut content?

Painstakingly* restored more than 4 years after it was first discovered, I may be the only person outside the dev team to see this in-game.

It wasn't worth it! :suicide:

*: lazily with 10 minutes of work in photoshop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Makrond posted:

Psst, hey kid.

Did you know Assault Horizon had cut content?

Painstakingly* restored more than 4 years after it was first discovered, I may be the only person outside the dev team to see this in-game.

It wasn't worth it! :suicide:

*: lazily with 10 minutes of work in photoshop

IT BROKE NEW GROUND!!!!